• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Give Classic a try, part 2

Nikita

Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2011
If you haven't given the new Classic Mode a try yet, I highly recommend taking a look. The changes to movement speed and weapon handling have made the mode overall far smoother and less clunky, while simultaneously making weapons feel even more real.

My favorite thing about the new update is the modification to weapon sway--the added sway when raising your weapon for the first time actually really makes the firearm have a physical weight to it. You can feel the heft of that BAR, Garand, or SVT-40 as you sight in on the enemy. It's made a huge difference--successful shots feel immensely satisfying, firefights are more immersive.

Now that the movement speed has been raised and the sprint-to-iron-sights transition reworked, Classic finally feels polished. Between that, the new handling mechanics, the existing (more) authentic weapon loadouts, the lack of Lockdown, increased wound damage, and the reduced number of automatic weapons, I'd highly recommend giving it a try if you're in search of that added bit of immersion.

I know I might be preaching to the choir, as the forum crowd generally leans towards Classic to a greater degree than the player population at large already, but hey, just don't want anyone to miss out!

Last edited:
I absolutely love the changes they made to classic mode, but we're going to have to wait for the free weekend to pass before we can see how a proper game actually plays out on a full classic server.

I'm a bit worried that the changes will go unnoticed and then there will be no classic servers after a while, because nobody wants to join an unpopulated one, even if they might prefer classic mode over realism (as was the case for me over the past few months).

Upvote 0
Need to combine "classic" and "realism " add to "classic":
- Respawn on squad leaders(basis of tactics).
- Weapons unlock.
Heroes can not take enemy weapons(except for pistols). And to add some things from the "Sound Mod"(shrapnel, dynamic movement speed, bullet "cracks", immersive death effects).

There will be two modes of "super classical realism" and "arcade" for beginners. Full server, all welcome!

Upvote 0
- Respawn on squad leaders(basis of tactics).
- Weapons unlock.
Heroes can not take enemy weapons(except for pistols).

These are the three things that i absolutely despise from realism and would ruin the mode for me

For classic I'd just wish they'd tweak the roles:
- remove AVT and MKB from elite positions, give those roles the option for enemy weapons
- PPS gone from Stalingrad
- Japanese assaults get the option for T100/44 w/bayo on applicable maps (all but Guadal & Betio)
- no flame on defence (needs rebalance on those maps)

And of course some things from dibbler's, like louder bullet cracks, helmets/hats coming off, these things of course shouldn't be classic specific

Upvote 0
For classic I'd just wish they'd tweak the roles:
- remove AVT and MKB from elite positions, give those roles the option for enemy weapons
- PPS gone from Stalingrad
- Japanese assaults get the option for T100/44 w/bayo on applicable maps (all but Guadal & Betio)
- no flame on defence (needs rebalance on those maps)

And of course some things from dibbler's, like louder bullet cracks, helmets/hats coming off, these things of course shouldn't be classic specific

Quoted for truth.

With these things included I can see Classic, with a name change of course, being the staple for RO2.

Upvote 0
after four matches this evening, i gained the impression that classic, on (some) rising storm maps, makes defending a lot easier, and attacking a hell of a lot harder. am i wrong or are the reinforcements and time-limit the same in classic as they are in realism? that doesn't seem balanced, since there's no spawning on squad leaders and there's less stamina for those who have to charge in and then steady their weapon in order to actually hit someone.

in the first one i jumped in as a soviet rifleman on barracks where we attacked and defeated the german defenders.

in all three rs matches (betio, iwo jima, kwajalein) the japanese were defending (my roles: 1. japanese rifleman, 2. american rifleman, 3. american squad leader, because on iwo there wasn't enough smoke) and they completely dominated.

or was it just bad luck for the yanks? what are your impressions?

btw. after every match i gained experience for the weapons and classes i was using. is that also something new because i don't remember this feature on classic from before.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i almost forgot, i find some of the weapon-handling while slowly crouch-walking a bit exaggerated. several times i got killed because i was used to my semi-auto or smg firing almost at once as i click with my mouse. now, my avatar behaves as if his tommy-gun weighs like a bag of sand. one click is needed just to pull the freaking thing in a hip-firing position. what the hell? i'm well rested, but when i'm starting to clear some rooms/trenches/bunkers my guy acts as if he was stoned. where's the adrenaline rush? shouldn't he be edgy like a squirrel?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
after four matches this evening, i gained the impression that classic, on (some) rising storm maps, makes defending a lot easier, and attacking a hell of a lot harder. am i wrong or are the reinforcements and time-limit the same in classic as they are in realism? that doesn't seem balanced, since there's no spawning on squad leaders and there's less stamina for those who have to charge in and then steady their weapon in order to actually hit someone.

btw. after every match i gained experience for the weapons and classes i was using. is that also something new because i don't remember this feature on classic from before.

Experience gain is still present, but there's no gameplay impact. If you unlock the 50-round drum for the tommy gun in Classic Mode, you'll get it in Realism Mode, but it won't change the default weapon you carry and use in Classic. The only thing that experience/progression affects in-game is how you look (veteran/hero uniform).

As for spawn on SL, it cuts both ways. You'll find that defenders often defend from the wings on either side of a cap as well as the cap itself. In Realism, this lets squad leaders spawn friendly soldiers directly next to the cap zone being contested. As defending SLs typically survive longer than attacking SLs and can spawn their fellow soldiers in safer locations, I've always felt that the current respawn on SL system favors the defenders ever since the patch that made spawning easier.

Here's the kicker though that makes attacking much more fair in Classic Mode, in my opinion:

NO LOCKDOWN.

In Realism Mode, you can get stuck at the A cap on Red October Factory and lose the entire round in less than ten minutes. Lockdown, for obvious reasons, favors the defenders greatly, as the time required to trigger lockdown generally isn't quite generous enough.

This alone--the ability in Classic Mode to take the map at your own pace--I feel makes attacking much easier in Classic.

i almost forgot, i find some of the weapon-handling while slowly crouch-walking a bit exaggerated. several times i got killed because i was used to my semi-auto or smg firing almost at once as i click with my mouse. now, my avatar behaves as if his tommy-gun weighs like a bag of sand. one click is needed just to pull the freaking thing in a hip-firing position. what the hell? i'm well rested, but when i'm starting to clear some rooms/trenches/bunkers my guy acts as if he was stoned. where's the adrenaline rush? shouldn't he be edgy like a squirrel?

Not sure what you're talking about. Are you walking around with your sights already raised, or at your hip? Is it the sway that's the problem, or the delay before firing? Are you mid-sprint or walking?

Upvote 0