• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Give Classic a try, part 2

As for spawn on SL, it cuts both ways. You'll find that defenders often defend from the wings on either side of a cap as well as the cap itself. In Realism, this lets squad leaders spawn friendly soldiers directly next to the cap zone being contested. As defending SLs typically survive longer than attacking SLs and can spawn their fellow soldiers in safer locations, I've always felt that the current respawn on SL system favors the defenders ever since the patch that made spawning easier.

Here's the kicker though that makes attacking much more fair in Classic Mode, in my opinion:

NO LOCKDOWN.

In Realism Mode, you can get stuck at the A cap on Red October Factory and lose the entire round in less than ten minutes. Lockdown, for obvious reasons, favors the defenders greatly, as the time required to trigger lockdown generally isn't quite generous enough.

This alone--the ability in Classic Mode to take the map at your own pace--I feel makes attacking much easier in Classic.
sure, removal of the squad leader spawning feature makes the attackers spawn in safer locations. but it also robs them of precious time needed to keep up the pressure on cap. it gives defenders a lot more breathing room.

yeah, if there were lockdowns in classic, i wouldn't even bother playing it.

still, i felt that the attacking team was severely crippled in comparison with realism mode. namely, they lacked more time, better organization (more smoke, more recon and arty, concentration of troops followed by a mass push on a single point) and more reinforcements. i mean, these factors make a difference in realism too, but i think classic mode makes all of them absolutely essential.

Not sure what you're talking about. Are you walking around with your sights already raised, or at your hip? Is it the sway that's the problem, or the delay before firing? Are you mid-sprint or walking?
at my hip. delay before firing. i think this occurred when i was both mid-sprinting and halting to fire AND walking. it really surprised me that my first left-click did nothing except slowly raise my gun. a second one was needed to get it to fire, but that was often too late.

i guess i was expecting it to be raised, ready to fire, as soon as i stopped running. but it wasn't.

it happened with my garand (on iwo jima, where several times i managed to save my life solely on the fact that the jap was banzaing) and my thompson smg (on kwajalein where i wasn't so lucky).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is astounding - I just came off a Classic server, was going to try it and I am glad I did, its just .. magic. I even forgot I was on a classic server, until I noticed my slightly bigger weapon sway (which is great, by the way).

Best thing? I NOT ONCE had that annoying situation where you see an enemy running, they immediately raise weapon and you die, even though you saw them first. Now you have shoot-outs, misses, you gotta be cool and quick, and aim right ... hmm reminds me of a game I used to play :p

Bottom line: it just feels all natural and subtle, and delicately flavoured, almost like your favourite (oh crap, too late to stop the metaphor now) condom.

TRY IT!!

Upvote 0
I would play classic if some classic server enabled nametags from distance. I have no problem differentiating ally from fiend but when I get killed by my teammates more often than by the enemy... too frustrating to be enjoyable.

Now that the free weekend is over, you should get less TKs. Try it again.

I really do enjoy the new classic mode. Now I just want to see more servers running Classic + Campaign. I love me some Campaign mode.

Also, TWI should consider renaming it to "Tactical."

Upvote 0
Personally I've been very please with the reception to the changes to Classic mode that I've seen around the web and in game.

I'll be keeping an eye on how we can improve it in the future as well (but get yours friends playing! It is much easier for me to get resources on it when there are players!).

Upvote 0
I've tried the new classic, and I must say I really liked the changes that were made. I like it a lot as a more tactical alternative to the default realism mode. I did, however, find that it was much easier to defend in classic than it is in realism. I played 8 rounds on a classic server yesterday and the defenders won 7 of the 8 times. The maps were Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Grain Elevator, and Hanto.

In regards to new players trying it, I really hope they will, it is nice to have 2 different ways to play the same game depending on your preferences. However, I fear that too many primarily realism players will be too preoccupied with unlocks to give classic the chance it deserves. I must confess that even I was missing my Kar98k without the sight hood, and Type 99 with monopod at times.

Upvote 0
I did, however, find that it was much easier to defend in classic than it is in realism. I played 8 rounds on a classic server yesterday and the defenders won 7 of the 8 times. The maps were Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Grain Elevator, and Hanto.

I played a few matches today on a full server and attackers won on Betio, Coldsteel, Saipan and 1 round on Iwo Jima. It may depend on better/worse team. Too early to say that new classic favours defenders imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i was actually on the defending team on those coldsteel and iwo jima matches. are there force respawns in classic? because i haven't noticed it yet (maybe i wasn't paying attention) and we lost that first round on iwo simply because most of our team was waiting to respawn. or did that happen because our commander died too? anyway, that was a huge stroke of luck for the allied team which suffered a lot more losses than the axis. those static mg emplacements shredded them to pieces. i know cause i spent most of the match manning one of 'em. racked up 72 kills, a few of those with the bolt-action, but mostly mowing them down with the hmg.

neither am i sure how we lost on coldsteel. axis ran out of reinforcements some time before the allies and there were only two germans opposed to at least 5-6 of our guys. that last cap-zone wasn't even contested although they were obviously in it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is forced respawn in classic. Regarding Coldsteel, it seems that classic gets lowest reinforcements amount but only on HoS maps for some reasons. It doesn`t change the fact that Germans got to the last cap zone still having over 10 mins. Allies wouldn`t hold it for so long. Attackers should get even better chances to win once they learn how to manage stamina and how aiming system works.
I noticed also that the way people play is different to realism where the most just frontal attack an objective. In classic there is much more flanking and players use some parts of maps that are not being used very often in realism

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The changes have helped, it's feels more thought out and polished, I hope more people will give it a try. It's definitely harder to make shots which leads to longer shootouts, a plus IMO.

Map balance was often very different compared to Realism before and I'd expect the same once the numbers calm back down. Balance was often flipped in Classic, Commisars was usually won by the allies for example and in Realism with Spawn on SL, Axis usually could shut the attackers down.

I'd agree that people play maps in Classic differently than in Realism, for various reasons you lose the ability to quickly get right back to the cap, so there's more fighting out on the flanks.

If TWI doesn't push it, I like the idea of a coordinated, 24 hr multi server event. I don't think many players know it exists.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The changes have helped, it's feels more thought out and polished, I hope more people will give it a try. It's definitely harder to make shots which leads to longer shootouts, a plus IMO.

Map balance was often very different compared to Realism before and I'd expect the same once the numbers calm back down. Balance was often flipped in Classic, Commisars was usually won by the allies for example and in Realism with Spawn on SL, Axis usually could shut the attackers down.

I'd agree that people play maps in Classic differently than in Realism, for various reasons you lose the ability to quickly get right back to the cap, so there's more fighting out on the flanks.

If TWI doesn't push it, I like the idea of a coordinated, 24 hr multi server event. I don't think many players know it exists.

Indeed. Yesterday someone said... what is classic in a realism server. Nuff said. :eek:

Upvote 0
OK finally played the new classic. YA this IS WAY BETTER IMO than realism. :eek:

I think still needs some small tweaks to weapon handling but on the RIGHT track.

I just used the pps42 but firing on small bursts netted wonderful results as with automatic weapons is how it should be. Usually with leveled up weapons this really does not matter much. But vary enjoyable experience.

BUT! this need maps tweaked or remade for this mod IMO. The swiss cheese defensive positions are pretty bad when no one can spawn on sl. BUT quite rewarding. This should have been the REALISM that shipped with RO2.

Nuff said. I really hope this catches on.

Upvote 0
Personally I've been very please with the reception to the changes to Classic mode that I've seen around the web and in game.

I'll be keeping an eye on how we can improve it in the future as well (but get yours friends playing! It is much easier for me to get resources on it when there are players!).
I'd like to see lockdown appearing after one of teams loses all reiforcements.
Sometimes when this happens there are 10 more minutes to play.

Upvote 0