• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rising Storm is now on the Steam store.

@Prax: I suspect that the pay-for-DLC thing may be a reflection of the changing nature of the computer gaming business. CoD/BF ripoffs aside, the industry is moving more towards the paid-dlc model in order to stay profitable and in order to deliver content with today's level of sophistication (just look at how much more work there is getting RO2 vehicles vs ROOst vehicles). There are generally many more resources needed to bring a given object, feature, map, etc for a modern game than an old game from the bad-ole days. I'm grudgingly getting used to it. Personally I'd rather spend my gaming dollars on a product from TWI than another subversion of CoD or BF.

I seem to remember a video of Nestor commenting that RS owners would get limited RO2 MP content and that RO2 owners would also get limited RS MP content once the new game comes out (maybe you can only pick rifleman in the game you don't have). You will be able to play either while only paying for one. Want to play flamethrower or MG34 dude, shell out the cash :). I'm sure there will be RO2 only and RS only servers catering to players such as yourself who strongly prefer one or the other. Personally, I think the RS/RO2 scheme TWI has dreamed up is a brilliant way of getting a) little or no split in the Ro2 community based on what package you own and b)getting great exposure for RS in the wider RO2 community (something that never really happened as much with MN or DH back in the day -- there were always waaaay more ROOst servers than MN or DH ones). In any case, I think TWI releasing some pricing information would really help calm discussions like this down since we really have NO idea how much we'll be paying for RS.

Cheers and respect,

Fafnir_6

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I said it was free for you (i'd buy it for you) if you didn't bring it up again and added me on steam. you didn't add me on steam yet and now you're talking about the discount again. did you want it for free or did you just want to keep discussing how much of a discount you should get? :eek:

That's a very generous offer, R5cya, worthy of the best members of the Rise of Flight forums (the only other place I have seen this type of good-will displayed on the internet). If this offer is turned down, I think it will be obvious to the world that the troll is IN. I'll be buying RS to support TWI and what is obviously a great upcoming game but there will likely be someone out there who really wants to play RS but can't due to personal finance reasons...save your gift for THAT GUY...he will be properly grateful.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Upvote 0
@Prax: I suspect that the pay-for-DLC thing may be a reflection of the changing nature of the computer gaming business. CoD/BF ripoffs aside, the industry is moving more towards the paid-dlc model in order to stay profitable and in order to deliver content with today's level of sophistication (just look at how much more work there is getting RO2 vehicles vs ROOst vehicles). There are generally many more resources needed to bring a given object, feature, map, etc for a modern game than an old game from the bad-ole days. I'm grudgingly getting used to it. Personally I'd rather spend my gaming dollars on a product from TWI than another subversion of CoD or BF.

I seem to remember a video of Nestor commenting that RS owners would get limited RO2 MP content and that RO2 owners would also get limited RS MP content once the new game comes out (maybe you can only pick rifleman in the game you don't have). You will be able to play either while only paying one. Want to play flamethrower or MG34 dude, shell out the cash :). I'm sure there will be RO2 only and RS only servers catering to players such as yourself who strongly prefer one or the other. Personally, I think the RS/RO2 scheme TWI has dreamed up is a brilliant way of getting a) little or no split in the Ro2 community based on what package you own and b)getting great exposure for RS in the wider RO2 community (something that never really happened as much with MN or DH back in the day -- there were always waaaay more ROOst servers than MN or DH ones). In any case, I think TWI releasing some pricing information would really help calm discussions like this down since we really have NO idea how much we'll be paying for RS.

Cheers and respect,

Fafnir_6

Yeah more and more companies are going the way of paid DLC's.... and if it's an full expansion which is optional, I have no issue with that. If I am interested in it, I'll buy it.

When it comes to paying for a couple of maps or a couple of new weapons, that's just money grabbing BS. As proven by TW including the Map Pack for free and having a sale on a weekend, they can easily get a pile of money from new customers.

Chivalry did the same when they had their Content Update with new weapons and maps added for free.... piles of players bought it and jumped into the game. Even on a sale & people not paying full price, they still made buckets of money.

Free maps and free content for the game is like the developer saying "Thanks for keeping the game alive and thanks for your support, here's a couple of new things to keep the game going... tell your friends to get the game."

Rising Storm is an Expansion all things considered.... thus I understand there being a cost included.... but how they're going about putting it into the game and what RO2 players had to go through at the start justifies some sort of discount or deal for RS.

Having a company charge you $20 for a couple of maps or a couple of new weapons is a slap in the face and it's like them saying "Hope you had fun playing the game.... now you owe us some more money for this new stuff and if you don't pay, you'll get kicked from servers when they start using them"

TW seems to be trying to hit the middle ground in the above two situations.

Most expansions for games I've played in the past were optional and optional because those expansions ran on a separate server browser.... so if you didn't have it, it was ok, you didn't have to worry about getting kicked.

But having Rising Storm added into RO2 as it is planned, it's a bit of a shove in the face for players, even if they want Rising Storm.

It's more of a "Here's the Expansion.... you have no choice but to get it. You don't have to pay for it, but if you don't pay for it, you're going to have a dumbed down version and be at a disadvantage so you might as well pay for it."

What that disadvantage will be, I dunno.... but that's what's happening, and I'm not overly fond of it.

With Killing Floor, all the DLC's are optional.

RS isn't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah more and more companies are going the way of paid DLC's.... and if it's an full expansion which is optional, I have no issue with that. If I am interested in it, I'll buy it.

When it comes to paying for a couple of maps or a couple of new weapons, that's just money grabbing BS. As proven by TW including the Map Pack for free and having a sale on a weekend, they can easily get a pile of money from new customers.

Chivalry did the same when they had their Content Update with new weapons and maps added for free.... piles of players bought it and jumped into the game. Even on a sale & people not paying full price, they still made buckets of money.

Free maps and free content for the game is like the developer saying "Thanks for keeping the game alive and thanks for your support, here's a couple of new things to keep the game going... tell your friends to get the game."

Rising Storm is an Expansion all things considered.... thus I understand there being a cost included.... but how they're going about putting it into the game and what RO2 players had to go through at the start justifies some sort of discount or deal for RS.

Having a company charge you $20 for a couple of maps or a couple of new weapons is a slap in the face and it's like them saying "Hope you had fun playing the game.... now you owe us some more money for this new stuff and if you don't pay, you'll get kicked from servers when they start using them"

TW seems to be trying to hit the middle ground in the above two situations.

Most expansions for games I've played in the past were optional and optional because those expansions ran on a separate server browser.... so if you didn't have it, it was ok, you didn't have to worry about getting kicked.

But having Rising Storm added into RO2 as it is planned, it's a bit of a shove in the face for players, even if they want Rising Storm.

It's more of a "Here's the Expansion.... you have no choice but to get it. You don't have to pay for it, but if you don't pay for it, you're going to have a dumbed down version and be at a disadvantage so you might as well pay for it."

What that disadvantage will be, I dunno.... but that's what's happening, and I'm not overly fond of it.

With Killing Floor, all the DLC's are optional.

RS isn't.

Perhaps we can ask TWI to include a RO2 only or RS only filter for the server browser in the post-RO2/RS iteration of the game. Historically TWI has been very receptive to these sorts of requests and there is a certain subset of RO2 players which will appreciate this. I likely wouldn't use such a filter, but that's my personal choice.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Upvote 0
Perhaps TWI should make RS Lite an optional download from Steam for those that don't want to add the extra GBs to their hard drives. I know for sure that lots of people are going to complain about having to download a game they have no interest in playing, just like we always see people complaining about 1-4 GB patches for RO2 that uses up their bandwidth.

Upvote 0
Why do so many people expect a discount when buying Risin Storm...?

I don't understand the thinking behind that. I can't remember a game title giving the next title release in a series out for free or with a large discount to current players.........

CoD and Battlefield series not only charge full $60.00 for the next game tittle released, they hit the owners for $15 per map pack, containing 4 maps each (all that already are in the single player, so its not like they actually had to make the maps), and 4 maps packs per game. So these players have $120 into a game. Tripwire releases its mod/mapping tools so the commuinty can inject new live into a game by making custom maps and different mods....

Take IL-2, you paid for each and every expanision pack that came out for it. So why do people want Tripwire to give RS away for free or at a discounted price.......?

When you buy a CoD Map Pack you don't get the base game for free. This is happening with RO2 and RS and thats why the people are complaining.

Upvote 0
Praxius, I normally play on Aussie Nz so that explains it. The guys who run Saw dont update the server anymore so I doubt they will load up rs. However I'd gladly gift you a copy if buying it is an issue.

Quite kind of you... I've gifted a few RO2 copies to people in the past, but money isn't an issue and I'll most likely be able to afford it.

Chances are I'll probably end up buying it due to how it's being presented.... and I'll most likely play it from time to time. It's just the principle of how it's being presented to existing RO2 owners..... and I was just explaining the available options for someone in this case.

• Buy it

• Don't buy it and end up at a disadvantage due to having a limited version

• Jump from server to server in order to keep playing the game you want (RO2 or RS)

• Stop Playing due to Frustration of the option 3

• Or get everything you want because you wanted RS :cool:

Perhaps TWI should make RS Lite an optional download from Steam for those that don't want to add the extra GBs to their hard drives. I know for sure that lots of people are going to complain about having to download a game they have no interest in playing, just like we always see people complaining about 1-4 GB patches for RO2 that uses up their bandwidth.

Indeed and TW was talking about making RO2 SP Campaign as a separate game file due to some people having no interest in it, as well as having problems pop up after patches (even if they didn't touch the SP)

I don't see why this can't be done for RS..... but if the server browser has both games and servers run both, than you have players getting booted for not having the content.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What I haven't seen mentioned yet and will mention just for perspectives sake; I recall early on during marketing for RO2 that there were also modding tools given away to groups of modders so rather than mods coming out years after release, they'd be out 6 or so months after release. Large total conversion mods such as Rising Storm and some other mod, In Country Vietnam was one and I think there was also a third. These were presented as free content similarly to how Mare Nostrum and Darkest Hour were for RO1 hence why this was like icing on the cake to people buying RO2. And now well, here we are :p

Upvote 0
What I haven't seen mentioned yet and will mention just for perspectives sake; I recall early on during marketing for RO2 that there were also modding tools given away to groups of modders so rather than mods coming out years after release, they'd be out 6 or so months after release. Large total conversion mods such as Rising Storm and some other mod, In Country Vietnam was one and I think there was also a third. These were presented as free content similarly to how Mare Nostrum and Darkest Hour were for RO1 hence why this was like icing on the cake to people buying RO2. And now well, here we are :p

I think the other one you were thinking of was Iron Europe (WWI Mod) but they dropped and now Grabenkrieg took over that project (so to speak) which is still in the works.... as is In Country Vietnam

Upvote 0
"Here's the Expansion.... you have no choice but to get it. You don't have to pay for it, but if you don't pay for it, you're going to have a dumbed down version and be at a disadvantage so you might as well pay for it."

nhhhh. Its free stuff if you don't want to pay. But still you are not excluded from playing RS. Don't see anything wrong with that really.

Upvote 0
nhhhh. Its free stuff if you don't want to pay. But still you are not excluded from playing RS. Don't see anything wrong with that really.

Except the fact that you are playing a full version game one moment (RO2) and then when the map changes, you can end up playing a nerfed game where you're limited by..... something.... nobody knows yet because nobody is saying anything on exactly how you'll be limited.

It's easy to assume you'll be limited by what classes you can pick, most likely limited to just rifleman since every other class has slot limitations and hold special traits important to the team that are probably given priority to those who paid.

Again, those who buy RS, get RO2 for free.... those who already own RO2, be that the original version, DDE version or if they even owned it before or after the Nb4 Reset, have to pay to get the full version of RS.

Even when some of us, like myself, paid around $60 AUS for the DDE and Beta access..... I'll now have to pay more if I want the full version, while those who get RS don't have to deal with it.

Upvote 0

People will no matter what. A lot of people are currently judging it before they even get a chance to play it though.

mhh i see. Why not impose a limit on RO2 content for RS buyers only ? like its the other way around. Would make more sense. :)

Not really honestly. For the limitations for RS we know nothing about it or what it will involve, so have to wait till more information is released.

As if it was the other way round, it would definitly split the community if a server changes to an RS map and half the people don't have the content in any form at all. (Look at BF/COD/Halo series if you don't have map packs)

I've never seen people moan about the lite versions of ARMA 2 addons that include lower detailed content etc (Mostly only see the 'Veterans' moan about Day Z)

Upvote 0
As if it was the other way round, it would definitly split the community if a server changes to an RS map and half the people don't have the content in any form at all. (Look at BF/COD/Halo series if you don't have map packs)

errrmm it whouldent

Ro2 owner plus RS --> full content

Ro2 owner without RS --> maybe only rifleman class

RS owner without Ro2 --> maybe only rifleman on ro2 maps.

Upvote 0
errrmm it whouldent

Ro2 owner plus RS --> full content

Ro2 owner without RS --> maybe only rifleman class

RS owner without Ro2 --> maybe only rifleman on ro2 maps.

Not quite...

Ro2 owner who pays for RS --> full content, gets discount on RS.

Ro2 owner who doesn't pay for RS --> maybe only rifleman class in RS, gets RS for free.

RS owner without original Ro2 --> Pays full price for RS, cannot play RO2 SP, no other penalties.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not quite...

As long as the price is significantly cheaper (not just a couple of dollars) than what non ROHOS owners are paying, this sounds fair.

Ro2 owner who doesn't pay for RS --> maybe only rifleman class in RS, gets RS for free.

It keeps the community from splitting by allowing everyone to play on the same servers, and the only limitations are if you choose not to pay for RS. Will probably upset only those people who think all TWI content should be for free.

RS owner without original Ro2 --> Pays full price for RS, cannot play RO2 SP, no other penalties.

Makes sense, as it seems they are selling RS with ROHOS MP included at the full price. As such it will probably (guessing of course) be around what ROHOS was when it was released. Also keeps the community from splitting because everyone is on the same servers.

In Yellow above

Upvote 0
Not quite...

nice!Steam Early Access, NOW.

PS: this community is incredible, crying for paying a new stand alone game with new maps and a completely different scenario. And for what, maybe 15/20 bucks? Lol.

If you don't want spend 15/20 bucks for Rising Storm(two cocktails in a bar during weekend), stop wasting your time posting in an official forum, please.

Upvote 0