• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Introducing a New Game Type for Red Orchestra 2

Played RO2 CTF tonight and it was great. I was a bit sceptical at first (I mean, CTF in RO2, seriously :p) but it was way better than expected. It was very good. It's very fast paced and plays surprisingly well with RO2's mechanics. The messages weren't very clear for me though. I think I missed a lot of them because I was really focused on playing. A special sound or something would be great since that would get my attention a bit more, but that might just be me. Now some feedback on the maps.

Warehouse
I jumped in when the game was already going on so I didn't get to play the whole match. From what I've seen the map does look very good. Not much change needed on that front afaik. The balance on the other hand, needs some serious tweaking. The Axis team won 10-0 and the Allies ran out of reinforcements. I don't think that's supposed to happen.

For the rest, the gameplay is very hectic and chaotic. There's always some action going on and you don't get a moment of rest. That's all for now on this map.

Spartanovka
The game was good and enjoyable on this map but it's too big for CTF I think. The flags were capped multiple times but it's a pretty long and open stretch to get the flag back to your base. Someone suggested to move the spawns a bit closer so that at least it's easier to get to the flags in the first place. Spartanovka certainly has potential for CTF, but it does need some more work I think.

Apartments
This map is better suited for CTF I think due to its smaller size and more sneaky ways to get to the flag and away with it through buildings and all that. I didn't play through the whole match because it was getting a bit late and my game stopped working (not custom content related). The gameplay was, just like Warehouse, very chaotic but again enjoyable. No comments on balance yet from here since I didn't finish the match.

General/conclusion
All in all CTF is very enjoyable. I wouldn't play it every evening but having a CTF map in a server rotationthat would pop every so many maps would be very nice imho. It's nice variation on the standard RO2 and it can be played very tactical and competive. It would be very interesting to see some clanmatches in this gamemode (if there are still active clans).

Upvote 0
Tried to play a bit, but could hardly enjoy what it's all about :(
Game hang twice, and I had the impression that it's related to the game-announcements (sound-wise)...game froze for 3 secs or so, and skipped a few further untill next announcement(-sound).
Game-sounds and voicecomms were doing fine.

THe 20mins in total I played, were rough...think I saw only our flag being picked once, that's it. Basicly feels like FireFight...untill we learn how to play I guess. :D

*edit - played on Apartments.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey guys,

Many thanks to those who came for the testing session. Your feedback is always appreciated, negative and positive. I just created four specific threads:

Capture The Flag
CTF-Warehouse
CTF-Spartanovka
CTF-Apartments

The game type seemed stable enough so I removed the password from the server. I let only Warhouse for beta testing with reduced number of slots, as it plays better with less players. I'll rework Apartments and Spartanovka based on the comments.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is my feedback on the 3 maps that I played:

Warehouse:
I played at the Allies site. It's rather easy for the Axis to cut of our spawn exits close to the flag. We often died by a well placed Axis LMG that covered both the Axis doors.
Rifle man's using bolts do have a hard life on this map being outnumbered by a lot of free running SMG's, LMG's and semi auto's.
What I liked about this map was that the boxes in the shelves of the warehouse can be shot into pieces if someone tries to hide behind them,

Sparta:
I agree with ikkie. The distance between the two flags is too long.

Apartments:
For the Allies it's too much ground that they need to cover before reaching the Axis flag which is way back in the Axis spawn. Most of the fight concentrated around the two bridges.

Loadout:
The game play is as usual for CTF run and shoot. My suggestion is to reduce the number of SMGs, LMGs and semi's.

Spawns:
Spawning is terrible. Got killed 3 times in a row directly after spawning (had not moved 1 inch yet) just because an enemy managed to get into our spawn and camped there.

Testers:
Please take more notice about who you let join in a test. Got TK-ed more than once by the same guy. One time he could clearly see me and still he had to go at me with a melee attack. Test results will become useless if players start to play their own fun game during a test. For me this TK-ing was enough reason to leave the test.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Warehouse:
I played at the Allies site. It's rather easy for the Axis to cut of our spawn exits close to the flag. We often died by a well placed Axis LMG that covered both the Axis doors.
Rifle man's using bolts do have a hard life on this map being outnumbered by a lot of free running SMG's, LMG's and semi auto's.
What I liked about this map was that the boxes in the shelves of the warehouse can be shot into pieces if someone tries to hide behind them,

Sparta:
I agree with ikkie. The distance between the two flags is too long.

Apartments:
For the Allies it's too much ground that they need to cover before reaching the Axis flag which is way back in the Axis spawn. Most of the fight concentrated around the two bridges.

Loadout:
The game play is as usual for CTF run and shoot. My suggestion is to reduce the number of SMGs, LMGs and semi's.

Spawns:
Spawning is terrible. Got killed 3 times in a row directly after spawning (had not moved 1 inch yet) just because an enemy managed to get into our spawn and camped there.

Testers:
Please take more notice about who you let join in a test. Got TK-ed more than once by the same guy. One time he could clearly see me and still he had to go at me with a melee attack. Test results will become useless if players start to play their own fun game during a test. For me this TK-ing was enough reason to leave the test.

I had experienced the same , most likely from the same person as well , he kept typing "I AM TK" while tking everyone around the flag and was kicked. Not sure if he came back or not.

Upvote 0

Warehouse:

I had to choose between rifleman and sniper...so I took the sniper's TT33, and dropped the sniper rifle, to get some more speed (essential in any CTF) if needed.
That played surprisingly well.

untill I got 3rd game-freeze, so I stop testing with you guys for now, sry.
Thx for the opportunity, though!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Played a bit more.

Spartanovka: I actually liked this map the best, probably because it offered the possiblities for longer range combat and less run'n'gun. I found it challenging and difficult, but I didn't see any flag captures. Perhaps lower the flag capping amount for this map. Weapon loadouts seemed much better on this map because of the more open distances.

Apartments: For some reason, with the spawning on squad leader and spawning all over the place, I found it confusing as to where I was and I have played this map alot in other modes. It played fine with CTF.

Warehouse: Nice map, lots of places to hide. Alot of CQC. See note below on weapons.

Some misc notes.
- messages seemed to be missing for tk's and appologies.
- the smgs and assualt weapons seemed to be greatly exagerated on the smaller more crowded maps. Everyone had a few because of the classes and picking them up off the ground... they were everywhere. I know some people like that, but I could easily grow tired of them and those maps when they load in the server.

Great job overall. Very promising. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks guys for the feedback so far, everybody!

One thing to keep in mind, especially, is that balance can only be properly determined after many many hours of playing. One match on any given map is subject to imbalance of teams, not just because of map design or spawn placement, but because of the players themselves. Maybe one team is more skilled or experienced than the other, thus they have an advantage that throws off the results.

That said, I do agree the flag placement on Sparta and Apartments needs to be tweaked. It seems from what I've seen today, that the number of players does a LOT to affect how fun the rounds are. But, much more testing will need to be done to see what exactly needs the tweaking, and by how much. Things that could be obvious, might not actually be the cause of any imbalance, so we'll try not to knee-jerk too much on any issue.

Overall it seems that people are liking it, so that's a great starting point. :D

Ducky, for today's session, we started out with passwording it and only inviting players we knew, but we couldn't get high enough numbers to really stress test CTF like we wanted to, so we opened it up to the public. If a TK'er is going to ruin your experience playing a game, then how do you play any game online? Friendly fire and team kills are just part of the game. We take what measures we can to kick and ban anybody who breaks the rules, but there's only so much anybody can do.

Upvote 0
Paajtor, the cause of your crashing might be linked to your game cache.

Open My Documents\My Games\RO2\RO Game\Cache and delete everything in that folder.

Then try to play again and see if the crashing is still there.

The Cache folder contains your downloaded maps and mutators, and sometimes old files conflict with new ones and cause the game to crash, usually just as you've described.

Upvote 0
--SNIP--
Ducky, for today's session, we started out with passwording it and only inviting players we knew, but we couldn't get high enough numbers to really stress test CTF like we wanted to, so we opened it up to the public. If a TK'er is going to ruin your experience playing a game, then how do you play any game online? Friendly fire and team kills are just part of the game. We take what measures we can to kick and ban anybody who breaks the rules, but there's only so much anybody can do.

You believe yourself? It's a test to see how the balancing is. If you have guys running around TK-ing each other, then what good does that do to the map balance? On apartments the Axis first could not get close to our flag then suddenly there was a turning point and they took it more than once. One tip, our spawning team got slaughtered by a friendly keeping the door open for the Axis. As a result you have no valid test data on the balance.

Upvote 0
You believe yourself? It's a test to see how the balancing is. If you have guys running around TK-ing each other, then what good does that do to the map balance? On apartments the Axis first could not get close to our flag then suddenly there was a turning point and they took it more than once. One tip, our spawning team got slaughtered by a friendly keeping the door open for the Axis. As a result you have no valid test data on the balance.

Yes, I do sincerely believe what I said. And yes I understand that TK'ers are going to screw things up, but we can't only invite a dozen or so of our friends with just a few goes at each map and declare that we've got things figured out, we need a larger sampling both in terms of time and amount of players.

And it's not like it's open season on teammates, we have, like every other server, a TK limit (THOR, help me out on what that number is exactly), and once that limit is reached the player is session banned. Plus, up to 3 admins doing their best to play, test, and keep order all at once.

We had 1 or 2 TK'ers in the couple hours I was in there, both were banned. Problem? Yes. Problem enough to cause these test to be null and void? No.

You certainly do a lot for this game and this community Ducky, and for that I have much respect for you, so I find it hard to butt heads with you, but really man, could you cut us some slack on this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Warehouse
I jumped in when the game was already going on so I didn't get to play the whole match. From what I've seen the map does look very good. Not much change needed on that front afaik. The balance on the other hand, needs some serious tweaking. The Axis team won 10-0 and the Allies ran out of reinforcements. I don't think that's supposed to happen.

For the rest, the gameplay is very hectic and chaotic. There's always some action going on and you don't get a moment of rest. That's all for now on this map.

Yeah, I have made some notes, the balance can be improved a little with some more strategically places bits of cover at the spawns and some limitations to line of sight in the more open parts. Working on it. But during testing with smaller teams of roughly equal quality, we saw no very large difference from one side to the other.

Of course, with many more people, that can change. Well hence the need for more testing and tweaking.

Thank's very much for the feedback and kind words, guys!

Regards,
Fred

Upvote 0
Paajtor, the cause of your crashing might be linked to your game cache.

Open My Documents\My Games\RO2\RO Game\Cache and delete everything in that folder.

Then try to play again and see if the crashing is still there.

The Cache folder contains your downloaded maps and mutators, and sometimes old files conflict with new ones and cause the game to crash, usually just as you've described.
Just did that, and soon I hope to be able to test it again.
Now it's off to bed, good luck with the mod!

Upvote 0
Bah! my graphics card went out waiting on a new one I really been wanting to test this.Thanks for all the hard work and trying to make this game better.Hoping to be back up and running in a few days so I can try this out.
Really interested to see how this plays for competitive type play along side CD.

When we get our server back up and running would be more than happy to try this out to help get the word out.After you guys deem it ready for the public any way ....Ty again

Upvote 0
Testers:

Some wise words but so hard to archive. In the past I tried to runs testsessions and really wrote down on screen and shouted in VOIP its a test.

And still so many players just did not listen and played their own game with zero results. So I gave up any kind of tests and decided to just release stuff and see where it ends.

Upvote 0