• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Introducing a New Game Type for Red Orchestra 2

Nice one! But I don't see how ctf can be combined with progressive spawns atm, guess I'll have to try it :p Btw, how friendly is the SDK regarding creating new modes?

I'm sure Thor could answer more effectively, but trust me, the spawning system is spot-on in the mode. As I understand it, they actually did a lot of work to reinvent the implementation of spawn points, and it shows.

Players who have a good amount of experience in CTF will really appreciate the thought that went into it, because it plays straight-up legit, due to their foresight.

Upvote 0
Nice one! But I don't see how ctf can be combined with progressive spawns atm, guess I'll have to try it :p Btw, how friendly is the SDK regarding creating new modes?

My guess is you don't need progessive spawns. Making CTF maps for COD required spawns in a decent distance behind the flag position. And spawns positions spreaded over the map. Where you spawned when your map was taken and. The Spawn on SL could be a real important role in this mode.

But well see how they did it. Its a real welcome mode and I forsee a great future for it....

Upvote 0
My primary concern with the spawning was to make it as customizable as possible for the mapper. In Kismet, you can add "Spawn Controller" blocks. A spawn controller dynamically allows a team to spawn in a predefined area. Inside the controller, you can define constraints that are verified for a control volume, after each reinforcement wave. The constraints are:
-Minimum/Maximum number of enemies or friendlies in a control zone.
-Minimum/Maximum of the forces ratio in a control zone.

You assign a control zone to each constraint block. Constraint blocks can be combined with AND OR and NOT operators. Lets illustrate that with my implementation in CTF-Spartanovka.

In CTF-Spartanovka, axis attack from the church, and allies attack from the town hall. For simplification, i'll explain only the axis spawn. Axis can spawn in housing block 1 as an alternate spawn. The condition tree I defined is:
Code:
if([Axis has at least 1 friendly in housing block 1 &&
    Axis has at least 75% of the forces in housing block 1] ||
   [Axis has at least 1 friendly in housing block 2 &&
    Axis has at least 75% of the forces in housing block 2 &&
    Axis has 0 enemy in housing block 1])
{
  Enable the optional spawn in housing block 1.
}
else
{
  Disable the optional spawn in housing block 1.
}

These conditions are defined in the Spawn Controller, in Kismet. Two control volumes are required in the example above, one around the housing block 1, and one around housing block 2. And the spawn controller controls the Spawn Volume of housing block 1.

On a side note, spawn on SL is always available, just like in TE.

Upvote 0
It's not splitting up the player base. It's giving the player base a wider choice in picking the game they want to play. A player does not have to play TE or FF or CD all the time. If he wants something different, then he will now be able to play CTF whenever he likes. Narrowing the choice will only result in players looking somewhere else to find a game that they like. I personally like to play CTF now and then next to playing TE now and then. Choices and this |DD| mod is giving me an extra choice.

Upvote 0
The training difference between CD and TE is already very high. Bringing a new gamemode won't make this easier.

BTW: nearly all serevsr are sponsored by clans.

Vatiety is the spice of life and the fact that RO2 has had such little variety has really been a bummer for me, and obviously by the reaction so far, except from yourself, many others want more spice too. RO2 is a small community and it's not going to grow if the game never expands. Not to imply that our CTF game mode will open floodgates of new and returning players, but every little bit helps.

Besides most other long-term successful multiplayer games offer more than just a very small handful of ways to play. I'd love to see even more classic/new game modes for RO2, like S&D for example.

Don't fear something just because it's new. It's good, trust me, and soon enough you can see for yourself.

Upvote 0
Yeah I've never got that whole argument for splitting the playerbase when it comes to things like this.

I often want to play firefight in RO2, and when I look at the servers and see none available, I just don't play RO2 at that moment.

There is a FF only server in the top 10, it's almost full every time! ;)

And I think this will not split the community, CTF would be a nice feature for clan wars I think!

Can't wait to test it!

Upvote 0