• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Introducing a New Game Type for Red Orchestra 2

True but the question needed asking anyway.

Well, I would think that the very title 'new game type FOR red orchestra 2' indicates that it wasn't going to be a standalone game. ;)

Then why whitelisting run a PW'ed beta.... then you are for sure to have exclusivity. ;)

Are you serious? You don't know why it would be desirable to have all this hard work acknowledged and made to utilise the game's ranking system? :p

Even while in beta stage, it's already good and playable and why would we restrict it to a behind the scenes event? We wish to invite as many people to come have fun with us with this game type, and in doing so, help us shape this into a mature and properly working mod/addon, before we put it up for public use. This way, we can maintain quality control, iron out the kinks, and yet share it with all of you as well at the same time. Win win situation. :)

We in fact already had, and still have, a password protected alpha testing phase. The beta is going to be open to the public.. And that's just how it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I would think that the very title 'new game type FOR red orchestra 2' indicates that it wasn't going to be a standalone game. ;)

I never meant "stand alone" but then perhaps I didn't express myself clearly enough. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

The beta is going to be open to the public.. And that's just how it is.
Cool...... enjoy!!;)

--- snip----

The ETA is soon, as soon as the whitelisting (fingers crossed) goes through, but it will be an open beta on the DD server only first, untill all the kinks are ironed out. How long that will take, that is too early to tell. We have yet to test with a full house of players, for example. There is no way to tell yet, what might happen in every possible event during gameplay.

Didn't the OP say "exclusive" on the DD Server? Not sure the Whitelist works that way. Open to the public on ONE server only? hmmmm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I never meant "stand alone" but then perhaps I didn't express myself clearly enough. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ah, well padon me for not being very bright then, but what else is there, between running it inside the main game as a mod or addon, or outside of it?

you said..

Is this a FULL MOD to be run separately or, will it work within the existing framework ala RS?

So how else will it 'run seperately', when it's still part of the game? :confused:

Didn't the OP say "exclusive" on the DD Server? Not sure the Whitelist works that way. Open to the public on ONE server only? hmmmm

This is between the creator and TWI and already dealt with, I don't think this is really a concern for now.. or for you. No offense of course.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah, well padon me for not being very bright then, but what else is there, between running it inside the main game as a mod or addon, or outside of it?

Who knows?? Maybe an elaborate mutator? Doesn't really matter. :)

OK...... end of story.

This is between the creator and TWI and already dealt with, I don't think this is really a concern for now.. or for you. No offense of course.

No offense taken...... but it is of concern for every Admin out there. Myself included. No offense..... ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey guys,

I'm glad you are looking forward to try CTF. It is also good news that mappers have manifested their interest into creating CTF maps.

Mappers, when we will end beta phase, in addition to wiki explanations, we will be providing a demonstration map. That map will contain all the CTF configuration without the overhead of a normal map, allowing you to learn faster how to implement everything that is CTF-specific. If you already want to start working on maps designed for CTF, my only advice is not to waste time defining complex squads, as you will need to redefine them when you embed CTF (GameInfo will be remade from scratch). Maybe we can discuss it a bit more through a modding thread, or pm exchanges, although my pm box is almost full hehe.

Concerning the white-listing, the process with CTF is slightly different from the white-listing of a mutator, mainly due to the fact that it contains roughly 10x more code. I already discussed that with Yoshiro, and we agreed on a process : they have access to the source code SVN repository, and can see any codechange as a differential of the previous version, which makes it easier to white-list. In other words, no worries about that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It becomes a concern for every ADMIN if its used to create traffic to a server rather than for testing purposes. Whitelisting is not intended for exclusivity usage.

And it is also not intended to grant server admins that have done nothing to earn the right to use another person's hard work to increase their own standing or their server popularity, the use of said work by default, just because they fork out a little money to host their server.

Why this attitude? Be glad people work for months to make this stuff, what's a little bit longer to wait for it to be ready.. if it gives us problems on our server, then that's our problem, if it gives you problems, you'll come complaining with us too.. damned if we do, damned if we dont.

And if you don't have the patience to wait for it to be finished properly, or are jealous of someone that has made something that makes them look good and might attact people to them instead of to you, then go ahead and make something yourself, cause I do not like what you are implying here, and if you are what I think, then it's out of line, to say the least, Sir.

As was said, and I don't know why you are asking it again, it will be available for all server admins, when it is ready to be released, and when all the documentation and such are also present. In due time.

The whitelisting has no bearing on release, but if and when things do go fast, it's good to have it all sorted and ready to go, and why deny the people that come to help us shape this into a mod that you can enjoy, problem-free, in a while, the points and ranking that they deserve?

Upvote 0
And it is also not intended to grant server admins that have done nothing to earn the right to use another person's hard work to increase their own standing or their server popularity, the use of said work by default, just because they fork out a little money to host their server.

Why this attitude? Be glad people work for months to make this stuff, what's a little bit longer to wait for it to be ready.. if it gives us problems on our server, then that's our problem, if it gives you problems, you'll come complaining with us too.. damned if we do, damned if we dont.

And if you don't have the patience to wait for it to be finished properly, or are jealous of someone that has made something that makes them look good and might attact people to them instead of to you, then go ahead and make something yourself, cause I do not like what you are implying here, and if you are what I think, then it's out of line, to say the least, Sir.

As was said, and I don't know why you are asking it again, it will be available for all server admins, when it is ready to be released, and when all the documentation and such are also present. In due time.

The whitelisting has no bearing on release, but if and when things do go fast, it's good to have it all sorted and ready to go, and why deny the people that come to help us shape this into a mod that you can enjoy, problem-free, in a while, the points and ranking that they deserve?

OK...... but you don't have to be so uppity. Questions need to be asked so people understand what is actually going on. Lose the 'Tude. I was asking questions to illicit useful answers not slaps.... Thanks.

Please, take all the time you need. ;)

Again, good luck. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you thought about having multiple flag bays per team?

Otherwise, it seems like it would be quite hard to kill all 32 possible campers at the flag bay. Having multiple bays + flags would divide things up a bit.

Our implementation is the classic CTF gametype: 1 flag per team. If a server is too crowded to make the game playable, the admin has the responsability to reduce the number of slots to give the players the best possible gaming experience. With the reduced number of players in RO2, it might actually not be a bad thing to spread the players across more servers.

Your idea is interesting though, and worth consideration for a future game type.

Upvote 0
Along with S&D, CTF is my favourite gametype and I'm really looking forward to

One quick query though, as there are so many places to camp/hide in RO2 maps how will you deal with a stalemate, both teams have the other flag and then hide in a dark corner. I could see something like this lasting all game and being boring. Could you show the location of the flag carrier on the mini-map/compass after 1 min to help prevent this.

Upvote 0
Along with S&D, CTF is my favourite gametype and I'm really looking forward to

One quick query though, as there are so many places to camp/hide in RO2 maps how will you deal with a stalemate, both teams have the other flag and then hide in a dark corner. I could see something like this lasting all game and being boring. Could you show the location of the flag carrier on the mini-map/compass after 1 min to help prevent this.

You're not the first to address this concern. In the current implementation, the flag location won't be displayed. However, in the future, we might add, as an option, the possibility for admins to turn on a feature that would do something like that:
After X minutes with both flags taken, every Y minutes, show the flag location on the map/tactical overlay for Z seconds.

Just a simple question that popped in my mind. Is there any speed or stamina penalty for the one that runs with the flag on his back?

No, but again, another interesting idea :). It could even be implemented as a mutator later on, i'll add hooks that will allow to modify CTF (because modifying the gametype requires cooking all the maps that implement it, and updating all the servers, and we know all the problems that come with it, and cache issues...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you thought about having multiple flag bays per team?

Otherwise, it seems like it would be quite hard to kill all 32 possible campers at the flag bay. Having multiple bays + flags would divide things up a bit.

In a 4v4, I would say that it works EXTREMELY well. I have not played CTF with more than 8v8 in any fps ever, but I am pretty sure that there would be problems at that amount of clients. However, there are multiple ways to overcome that -- it really just has to do with team coordination, and IMO will also be completely dependent on the map.

Please note that in current iterations "squad leader" and things of that nature play into the game, so if you have people who know and are experienced with CTF, understand REAL multiple spawn-point tactics and the ways they interact in the current framework of RO2 -- then it really makes for some intense gameplay.

Upvote 0
OK...... but you don't have to be so uppity. Questions need to be asked so people understand what is actually going on. Lose the 'Tude. I was asking questions to illicit useful answers not slaps.... Thanks.

Please, take all the time you need. ;)

Again, good luck. :)

Sorry if you have taken the wrong meaning from my posts, but I have not been uppity at all, good Sir, my answers were all written calmly and I like to think politely, and factually. But very much to the point, granted. But hence a smiley left and right so you know I am not in a bad mood or any such thing. ;)

The facts are.. you come and ask a rather silly question, without reading the announcement properly, pass it off as a misundertanding when you're called on it, see fit to dispute our methods, post rather cheeky comments and pretty much accuse us of trying to 'steal traffic' when all we want is to give the community a really nice gift and make sure it's as good as it can be before we go and burden server admins with problems we should have ironed out first. As I said, I think you were out of line about that and I'd appreciate it if you stop trying to turn things around on me.

It is not m

Upvote 0
Just a simple question that popped in my mind. Is there any speed or stamina penalty for the one that runs with the flag on his back?

I'm sure the DD guys could answer definitively, but I did not notice any penalties like that.

IMO, having played CTF for numerous other FPS -- RO2 was almost BUILT for this because of the natural lack of stamina (comparatively). In THIS game that natural constraint really makes you think about your route and various tactics when aiding or participating in a flag run.

Being that RO2 is relatively a slower game and not by NATURE a twitch shooter (although that skill can be implemented in this game) I see no need to add any additional penalties as it would really tremendously mire the gametype.

I really encourage everyone who can to play this gametype and give good contstructive feedback to the DD guys. They are quite open to suggestion, but please also understand that the final decisions will be made by them and only them, given their hardwork. The main point is I find them to be completely impartial in this regard and dedicated to making this game better than it already is. Whatever decisions they make along the way, they should be acknowledged and thanked, at the very least.

Upvote 0
So, I hope we understand each other, and thank you very much for the nice words you also posted, and the good luck wishes. Let's leave it at that and rest assured that we shall endeavour to make this release as good as we can, as soon as we can.

Regards,
Fred

Apologies accepted and yes.... I wish you all the luck in the world. Cheers!!

Upvote 0
Apologies accepted and yes.... I wish you all the luck in the world. Cheers!!

Excuse me? I dont remember apologizing to you for anything. I only said I was sorry - in other words I regret - that you misunderstood me.

But other than that, I do not apologize to you in any way, shape or form for anything that I have said, because I stand by it and I have not been in the wrong anywhere here.

But thanks.

Upvote 0

Now when I was defending the country :D I wish I would have a flag on my back instead of the Carl Gustav. ( 84 mm man-portable reusable multi-role recoilless rifle) The weight of the average flag doesn't really make one tired in real life. So why it would in RO HOS....

Upvote 0