• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wheres our promised mac red orchestra 2?!?!?!?!?

Well, my Win 7 install is pretty much exclusively gaming. I already played a fair bit of Linux RO1 but I brought RO2 both because it looked good and I wanted to support the teams.

You should upgrade to Windows 8, as when I did it dropped my OS resource requirements by a tonne and all of my games run even better than they did on Windows 7 and have been able to bump my graphics up on all of them across the board.... or keep them at the settings they were and have an increase in FPS.

I just did the flat upgrade from Windows 7 to 8.... I imagine if I did a clean install it would probably run even better still without most of the old Windows 7 stuff lingering in the background.

That and the upgrade is only like $39.99 right now.... until the end of the year.

Upvote 0
You should upgrade to Windows 8, as when I did it dropped my OS resource requirements by a tonne and all of my games run even better than they did on Windows 7 and have been able to bump my graphics up on all of them across the board.... or keep them at the settings they were and have an increase in FPS.

I just did the flat upgrade from Windows 7 to 8.... I imagine if I did a clean install it would probably run even better still without most of the old Windows 7 stuff lingering in the background.

That and the upgrade is only like $39.99 right now.... until the end of the year.

You've done something wrong, windows 8 is a couple frames worse at best.

Upvote 0

I am actually kinda glad to hear this (not capt having a problem) but the performance.I would hate to switch to that god awful contraption called windows 8.Heck its not even a true windows it dumb's down the PC to cell phone standards.With limited file searching and stupid click and drag interface the list goes on and on.

(trying not to get too technical)
Seriously it would be a great time for linux or mac to step up to the plate and take away some of microsofts glory.Windows has been lacking on the gaming front for a while now.The pc hardware is superior but the OS bottlenecks hardware with a HUGE draw call problem.In fact this game suffered from the same problem(early poor performance) and why its so CPU dependent thankfully they have fixed most of the problems with smart programing.Some stats show current state of the art hardware only giving 10% of its true potential thanks to a poorly designed OS.

The next gen consoles will really show this flaw we will be back to crappy ports like in the single core days and the xbox 360 early ports.A consoles software has direct access to the GPU that's their only advantage.Where as windows makes the CPU hold the GPU's hand the whole time.Like I said this will be VERY apparent when the next gen consoles comes out.Even tho the PC hardware will be superior but current OS's will just kill any comparisons.

You know its going to be a problem when big name devs like ID software plan on making Doom 4 perhaps a console only game.....One of PC's long time supporters

Windows is made to run quickbooks and photoshop etc .... not games

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/16/farewell-to-directx/2

As a die hard PC gamer since the Commodore 64 this will be a sad day for me if somethings not done... soon

Last edited:
Upvote 0

An odd comment... if I install Windows 8 and it improves my system's performance across the board.... that sounds like I did something right, since that's a positive result.

If you end up with what you described, than I'd have to say it is you who did something wrong.

Upvote 0
I am actually kinda glad to hear this (not capt having a problem) but the performance.I would hate to switch to that god awful contraption called windows 8.Heck its not even a true windows it dumb's down the PC to cell phone standards.With limited file searching and stupid click and drag interface the list goes on and on.

I've been using Windows 8 since the day it was released and what you're saying is a complete misconception.

• It still runs every single program any previous Windows OS could.
• The File Searching is just as good as it always has been, in fact they brought back a few extra things from XP that were taken out from Vista/7.
• The desktop everybody has been so familiar with since Windows 95 is still there.

The only difference this time is that the Start button in the bottom left is a start screen (what you see with the tiles in all the adds.)

The other difference is that now you have Apps instead of Vista/7 Gadgets, which are basically the same thing.

Hitting the Windows key brings up and takes down the start screen, so you quickly toggle back to the new and the familiar. One of the default tiles is one called "DESKTOP" which takes you to the classic desktop.

The thing they did was they optimized Windows 8 for mobile devices..... which means it takes up a lot less resources to run, but it still does everything and more than Windows 7 could. My Maya 2012 can handle a lot more detail on my screen than in Windows Vista/7 before things start to slow down a bit (Due to more available resources for my system to use because of Windows 8)

Me paying $39.99 for the Win8 Upgrade was (for me) an equivalent to upgrading my CPU, Video Card & RAM all at once.

I'm no Die Hard Windows Fanatic.... it took me a long time to get into Windows 95 from Windows 3.11..... and it took me a long time to get into XP from Windows 2000.

I even had worries about Vista after many people complained so much about it (as well as myself trying out the beta) A lot of the misconceptions about Windows 8 comes from people who tried out the Win8 Beta.... but anybody here who played RO2 in it's beta stages would know what to expect from a "Beta"

I don't give Windows a green light and if I have issues, like I do with RO2, I speak them.

The only real issues I had with Windows 8 were:

• Getting used to the new Start Screen and layout (which wasn't as difficult as it was for me to figure out Windows 95 from Windows 3.11)
• Some of the default Apps wouldn't load up when clicked.... which was easily solved by uninstalling and reinstalling the apps (took only a minute to fix them all) Which probably had something to do with me upgrading over Win7 rather than a clean install

Other than that, after a couple of days, I had the whole system figured out.

I have not crashed, I have not froze, all the programs I had installed on Windows 7 all work without any issues after the Upgrade. The Task Manager is the best thing I have seen..... more information, all processes are easier to identify and stop, there's even a tab for startup programs so you can easily turn things off that were hard to locate in Windows 7 (or past OS's)

The last Windows Upgrade I ever did was Windows Me from 98.... and that was complete hell.

(trying not to get too technical)
Seriously it would be a great time for linux or mac to step up to the plate and take away some of microsofts glory.Windows has been lacking on the gaming front for a while now.The pc hardware is superior but the OS bottlenecks hardware with a HUGE draw call problem.In fact this game suffered from the same problem(early poor performance) and why its so CPU dependent thankfully they have fixed most of the problems with smart programing.Some stats show current state of the art hardware only giving 10% of its true potential thanks to a poorly designed OS.

And if you knew anything of what you were talking about... they fixed their "Poorly Designed OS" via Windows 8.

If Windows 8 was the same or worse than Windows 7, then I wouldn't have been able to increase my graphics and FPS with such games as Skyrim and RO2.

My Photoshop, Illustrator and Maya wouldn't be loading up almost twice as fast as before..... my system wouldn't be booting up and shutting down much faster than while using Vista or 7.

You rant on about how crappy Windows 8 is.... well I'm currently using it right at this very moment..... how long have you used it?

Have you used the Beta or the Full Retail Version? Or have you used it at all to know what you're talking about?

The next gen consoles will really show this flaw we will be back to crappy ports like in the single core days and the xbox 360 early ports.A consoles software has direct access to the GPU that's their only advantage.Where as windows makes the CPU hold the GPU's hand the whole time.Like I said this will be VERY apparent when the next gen consoles comes out.Even tho the PC hardware will be superior but current OS's will just kill any comparisons.

You know its going to be a problem when big name devs like ID software plan on making Doom 4 perhaps a console only game.....One of PC's long time supporters

As if anybody cares much about Doom anymore... the last Doom, while being nice eye candy, didn't really do that well if I remember.

If Valve decides to move off to Consoles, I'll start to worry.... until then....

Windows is made to run quickbooks and photoshop etc .... not games.

^ And right there is where you lose all credibility. :rolleyes: If that were true, Game Shops wouldn't have an entire "PC" section of Games, they would be "Linux" or "Mac" sections.... Things like Origin and Steam wouldn't be doing very well (Steam just recorded 6 million users online at one time just a day or two ago)

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/16/farewell-to-directx/2

As a die hard PC gamer since the Commodore 64 this will be a sad day for me if somethings not done... soon

Been playing games since Atari and C64 & my neighbour's 128.... and Vic20.... want to measure package sizes too?

PC gaming is doing just fine..... the real worry is in the consoles:

Why console gaming is dying
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/11/09/tech/gaming-gadgets/console-gaming-dead/index.html

"If console gaming were a first-person shooter, it would be taking heavy fire right now. A red hue would envelop the viewable screen from all sides, an ominous sign of spilled blood.

Or worse, near-death.

Despite this, Nintendo will release its new Wii U console on November 18, ushering in the eighth and possibly last generation of traditional home consoles as we know them.

Consider this: Dedicated gaming sales — including living-room consoles and handhelds — are in the midst of a four-year tailspin. You might say that's because of a bad economy, but then you'd have to explain why movie revenue and cable TV subscriptions have largely stayed the same.

Or why music sales, gutted by online streaming and piracy, have held up better than slumping sales of console games. Or why the popularity of social, mobile and PC games have skyrocketed to unthinkable heights......"

What we need is a Windows 8 Classic mode :p

Hit the Windows Key and you get that.... here's a Screenshot of my desktop:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh104/Praxius1/Windows8Desktop.jpg
(Photobucket reduced the actual resolution I use - 1920x1080)

;)

95% of my time spent on the computer is here, unless I want to load up something from the start screen that isn't in my quick launch tray.

They even made the Explorer Window more organized, yet with more options.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
An odd comment... if I install Windows 8 and it improves my system's performance across the board.... that sounds like I did something right, since that's a positive result.

If you end up with what you described, than I'd have to say it is you who did something wrong.

You had something else wrong with your system, you would have noticed same performance increase if you just reinstalled windows 7.

Upvote 0
You had something else wrong with your system, you would have noticed same performance increase if you just reinstalled windows 7.

And you know this for a fact, how?

There was nothing wrong with my system. I regularly check my system for spyware, optimize my registry, scan for viruses.... Once a month I run a disk check and double check my disk fragmentation. My system's reports afterwards always come back with high performance results.

My computer was only a couple of months out of the box before I got RO2, nor am I some 12 year old punk who's never used a computer for anything other than games and YouTube.

I've built from scratch 4 of the 8 systems I've owned dating back to a 386.... That's not including my C64 before that.

I've also used every Windows OS dating back to 3.11.

So I think I would have known if there was something wrong with my Windows 7. Sometimes there is something wrong and I fix it.

You ignorantly claiming something was wrong without any explanation or proof to back it up other than some dislike for a new OS doesn't make it true.

I only did an upgrade over top of my existing Windows 7 and yet, I still got a noticable performance boost. I imagine if I did a complete wipe and fresh install, that boost would be even greater.

Now unless you have something worthwhile to say that would better prove you know what you're talking about, stop wasting my and other's reading time.

Upvote 0
And you know this for a fact, how?

There was nothing wrong with my system. I regularly check my system for spyware, optimize my registry, scan for viruses.... Once a month I run a disk check and double check my disk fragmentation. My system's reports afterwards always come back with high performance results.

There's little or no reason a Win8 install would be so much faster in 3d performance you would notice it, especially given the lack of fully-supported hardware drivers, so the hypothesis that something was off in your 7 install is perfectly sensible.

Upvote 0
An example is the Foliage volume (the grass). That doesn't exist in the new Engine builds, so each map, would have to have grass placed in manually. Believe me, that alone is no easy task...

The grass is so damn ugly and interferes with your view if youre laying down that its better off disabled anyway. No need to waste time placing it.

Upvote 0
The grass is so damn ugly and interferes with your view if youre laying down that its better off disabled anyway. No need to waste time placing it.

I disagree, it looks great on my computer, and in my opinion, a bare naked landscape/terrain looks hidious.

None the less, that was just ONE example. To redo the engine, would mean having to go back to every map, and redo items, such as foliage volumes that would no longer exist. And not just the maps, much, much more stuff; and thats just the obvious, as there would be addtional items that can't be forseen until an attempt was made. Things that take a lot of time to do. Essentially, one might as well work on a new title, as that is how much work it would involve.

I for one, would perfer they spend thier time more wisely, such as additional content, and supporting the mod teams to provide even further content. (For example, Rising Storm, Operation Mobility...ect)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
lots of words

Its obvious I struck a nerve...I still see no reason for me to change back to windows 8 at this time.The fact remains the next generation consoles will be able to do much more draw calls per frame than any hardware running windows,linux, mac its not even close.

The problem has NOT been fully remedied with drx 11 like the link I gave its a cheap workaround at best.Windows is still the best gaming OS but when the next consoles release its flaws will be very apparent.

PC gaming is not dying that was not the point of my post.I just dread seeing consoles being more capable than PC's atm this is not the case ..soon it will be im afraid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0