• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Your Ideal Relaunch of RO2

Nightingale

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
The purpose of this thread is not to discuss whether or not a relaunch of Red Orchestra 2 is needed or if it should happen. Please do not turn this thread into a criticism of Heroes of Stalingrad.

In the past, I have occasionally seen forum members express a desire for Red Orchestra 2 to be officially relaunched as a different game from Heroes of Stalingrad. However, these were only small comments which received little attention or discussion by other members. I started this thread so that the community could share their thoughts on what they felt an ideal relaunch of Red Orchestra 2 would be like, and what kinds of work and preparation would be necessary to accomplish it. This thread is not a plea for TWI to relaunch RO2; it is just a discussion for discussion's sake.

To begin, I think that RO2 as a game could have shined much more if the scope was not limited to the Battle of Stalingrad. If it encompassed all of the Eastern Front, we would have realistically have access to more weapons, uniforms, vehicles, and other equipment than we do now. RO2's first person cover system is simply a joy to use (IMO, it is the best thing to come to first person shooters in the history of video games), and I would love to be able to use things like the PPS-43, STG-44, or Panzerfaust in conjunction with it.

Of course, such changes also demand a change in the game's name. I think that simply renaming it "Red Orchestra 2: Ostfront `41 - `45" would be unoriginal and confusing to players unfamiliar with the Red Orchestra series. I can imagine a name like "Red Orchestra 2: The Great Patriotic War" or "Red Orchestra 2: Blood Painted Steppe" (one of the OST names, I believe) doing quite well.

Or maybe it could focus on another Eastern Front battle? I am generally unfamiliar with WWII history, so I can't make any recommendations myself, but perhaps the Battle of Moscow would make a good setting? What about Leningrad? Or was that just boring and depressing?

Reactions: Unus Offa Unus Nex
I don't think there is a need of a re-launch, but if there was going to be one, having the game not limited to Stalingrad wouldn't be a bad thing, for many if the reasons you already mentioned.

But if it was going to be renamed, I wouldn't go and change the current name entirely, as that'd just create just as much confusion..... something like "Red Orchestra 2: Heroes" would be good enough (drop of Stalingrad) and don't slap any date in the name.... that was a problem with Ostfront sometimes as well, as someone would come along and say such n' such a weapon didn't exist between 41-45, and so on.

From what I remember, "Heroes of Stalingrad" was based on the fact that RO2 featured leveling and the ability for you to reach Hero status. It would still exist in RO2 if re-launched, so just get rid of "Of Stalingrad" and you open the door to many more possibilities while still retaining much of RO2's existing identity.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
Good idea for a discussion. Since the current 3 modes of RO2 are/will be so different from original launch, this game needs to be relaunched.
So, a new name, like RO 'Heroes' which is a good name, but too close to the existing name. I like the Great Patriotic War name, myself. A new name is very important as a break from the past. So, the name should be associated with the RO franchise, but completely different from the name HOS.

New music. Well, rather old music. I wish the advertisement music in the RO vids was way more up tempo. By up tempo, I'm thinking Motorhead's 'Ace of Spades' ;) playing during the example of gameplay. Not the lumbering classical music. You can keep the classical for the game, I'm talking during advertising of the game.

Marketing-- like some new vids showcasing the modes. You could make a vid for each of the specific modes, and highlight the innovative method of actual seperate modes within the same game context.
.... and perhaps most importantly-- new reviews of the game that draws positive attention to the all the work TWI has done. I think that's key.

Upvote 0
New music. Well, rather old music. I wish the advertisement music in the RO vids was way more up tempo. By up tempo, I'm thinking Motorhead's 'Ace of Spades' ;) playing during the example of gameplay. Not the lumbering classical music. You can keep the classical for the game, I'm talking during advertising of the game.
But, but, Motorhead didn't exist in '40-'45 :p. It's a good song though and I'm sure there is some fast paced classical music. Modern music will just be a bit inappropiate I think for a WWII shooter.

On a more serious note, I'm not so sure if a rerelease will be a good idea. It might confuse people a lot and that's not exactly what we want. I consider the new content patch with Classic Mode, Action mode and the Mamayev Kurgan map and the free weekend as some kind of relaunch. With some new trailers and advertisements on Steam and lots of bugs fixed you can almost call it a whole new game.

If, however, the game will be relaunched, a name change wouldn't hurt. As some people here already said, a wider focus wouldn't hurt. Stalingrad is a cool setting and I love it, but it's a relatively small part of the whole Eastern Front. Red Orchestra: Scorched Steppes or whatever sounds cool would do.

Some new trailers showcasing the new gamemodes and the new map would also be cool. Maybe if the custom map problem is fixed TWI could include some footage of custom maps to showcase that. I think that would attract some more people to RO2.

As a cherry on top of the cake, the RS team could also release a new trailer :rolleyes:. Then the relaunch will be perfect.

Upvote 0
I don't think that a relaunch is really needed. Normally a relaunch means a really large amount of new or altered content.

It's just that they pretty much fixed the bugs and added classic mode. Which in my opinion isn't enough to market it as a new game entirely. As far as I can tell nobody is really waiting for Action Mode at all. According to TWI there are these people that apparantly have some interest in it, but funny enough those same people are not really present here in the forums. So I'm not even sure they really exist.

Upvote 0
Release a standalone expansion pack based on the formula of Ostfront. Be aware of performance and optimization. Improve features that were working well in RO2 and remove what did not work well, or things that does not simply qualify itself as a part of the Ostfront formula. For instance, rubbish such as unlock system, death cam, non-native voices, and such a like. Totally skip different attempts to create shameful arcade modes that no one cares about or simply turn red orchestra into a fullblown arcade game. Do both and the result will not be worth it. No modes. Only a multiplayer mode where th most game-changing features is optional. Re-name the campaign to practise since it does not in my opinion qualify to be called a campaign. Create a tutorial based practise mode similar to the one in Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising which explains how the game functions, how to use weapons, how to use cover, how to think etc. Create a dark, gritty serious trailer with native voices, death screams, and dark music.

Upvote 0
The purpose of this thread is not to discuss whether or not a relaunch of Red Orchestra 2 is needed or if it should happen. Please do not turn this thread into a criticism of Heroes of Stalingrad.

"For instance, rubbish such as unlock system, death cam, non-native voices, and such a like. Totally skip different attempts to create shameful arcade modes that no one cares about or simply turn red orchestra into a fullblown arcade game. Do both and the result will not be worth it. "

That didnt take long.......

Upvote 0
Please follow the request of the OP, if you want to express your opinion about features such as unlock system, death cam, non-native voices, and such a like then you can do it in another of many threads discussing the game itself. Derailing the tread - especially if the only reason is to case a flame war or simply to spite the OP - will not stand.

Upvote 0
My ideal re-launch would include the words "New weapons, new vehicles, new tanks, new maps, SDK tutorials for adding all of the above and the bugs have been exterminated". Essentially just adding loads of content to keep the players coming back.

Name wise, it's fine as is really, TWI can focus on the battles revolving around Stalingrad and the modders can have free reign anywhere else. Although just simply naming it "Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of the Eastern Front" could be an option, if a slightly long one. :p

Upvote 0
My ideal re-launch would include the words "New weapons, new vehicles, new tanks, new maps, SDK tutorials for adding all of the above and the bugs have been exterminated". Essentially just adding loads of content to keep the players coming back.

Name wise, it's fine as is really, TWI can focus on the battles revolving around Stalingrad and the modders can have free reign anywhere else. Although just simply naming it "Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of the Eastern Front" could be an option, if a slightly long one. :p

I like that idea, though maybe heroes of the eastern front will fit better when we get more community made maps.

Upvote 0
If relaunching the game attracts more people then I'm all for it, because it really does deserve more players.

I think the only problem with expanding the game past Stalingrad (at the moment) is that TWI invested a lot of time in making the battle chatter specific to that battle. Saying things like "You'll be in the Volga by nightfall, Ivan" might be a little immersion breaking if you're fighting in Berlin for instance :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, that is something of a problem. If I recall correctly, the major Stalingrad-specific lines are "You'll be in the Volga by nightfall" and "Every seven seconds a German dies in Stalingrad", as well as the round-start speeches "They have failed to take our city", and some other stuff I am probably forgetting.

It could be easy to just take them out of the game. Or better yet, TWI could commission some more lines from the voice actors or even expand the voices to 4+ different varieties for each side.

Upvote 0
I like alot of the ideas mentioned, but one I'm surprised not to hear is to change the PICTURE on the box/download! The hooded/masked Alien/German with a weapon that NOBODY identifies with the battle of Stalingrad has always been a real turnoff for me. I actually like the focus of Stalingrad only, and I think that there are more than enough potential maps just from that battle to keep modders busy for years to come. I just feel like a more realistic representation of a German soldier would go a long way to making people want to check out the game. The current guy always looks like Darth Vader to me- drives me nuts!

The expansion pack idea is especially good, particularly for future content. Right now I do kind of agree that a 'relaunch' is needed, I love the game, and generally it plays very well for me, but for so many people to have so many issues with it, it's going to require a pretty significant upgrade to turn around the low level of people playing.
Because there's been alot of talk of a 'free weekend' to attract new folks, I guess I'll also throw in that maybe there should be a 'starter' screen that explains each mode and how it works, how the levelling up works, how to join a squad, how to use the VOIP, etc. Alot of this very basic info was never explained and therefore never utilized. If the first time I played on-line I had seen a screen that said 'Push 'P' to talk to your squad', I would have talked to my squaddies right away! Anything you can do to make it easier for people, especially newbies, to talk to each other in game is a good thing. Communication and teamwork is what makes this a great game, it also makes friends and gives you information, and in the long run makes you want to play more.
Anyway, I'm very grateful to the whole TW team for making such a good game- let's ALL pitch in to make it a great game!
-Bernhart

Upvote 0
More weapons would help a lot. That way the "mapartists" of the community have more choices, when creating a map.
I was thinking about weapons like: G43, MG42, Panzerfaust, Panzerschreck, STG44, FG42 and PPS.

Right now, we don't need more maps from Tripwire, we need more things/items for the mapcreators of the community, they will give us maps. And the more options they have, when it comes to what to put in these map, the better the maps are gonna be.

Upvote 0

I agree. A relaunch is a big deal. Anything less and it comes across as gimmicky. Essentially, you need to double what you released to offset all the negatives.

Upvote 0