• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire,it's time for a new trailer,but...

I find it greatly amusing how the first-person gameplay shown in that trailer for RO1 features so much of the run-and-gun SMG hip-shooting that RO2 is condemned for... :>

I noticed that too, I just wasn't going to say anything ;)

Lot's of spray & pray running around.

And yeah, both those trailers are good as cinematics, but still show very little of the actual gameplay. They look cool, but I wouldn't say they're terribly effective as advertisements for the game. Anyone can make a great, atmospheric video for, well, pretty much anything, but that can be quite misleading as to how the game actually plays.

No matter how good a trailer or cinematic is, none will meet that criteria you spoke of, as the only real way to meet that criteria of properly showing how the game actually plays can only be done by actually playing the game yourself (demo / free weekend, etc.)

Trailers and Cinematics are designed to grab your attention and peak your interest, nothing more.

Just like a movie.... a trailer may look cool and peak your interest, but once you see that movie, it could be utter crap.

Upvote 0
No matter how good a trailer or cinematic is, none will meet that criteria you spoke of, as the only real way to meet that criteria of properly showing how the game actually plays can only be done by actually playing the game yourself (demo / free weekend, etc.)

Ehh, the first trailer in the thread does a fairly good job of being fairly representative of what you'll see in-game. That's the kind of footage I want to see before buying a game, really. It doesn't give you a full feel of everything in the game, but it gives a good taste. The RO1 trailer had a little, if not nearly as much, so I appreciate that. The others make great cinematics, but don't show gameplay as well.

Though at least none of it is pre-rendered, non-game footage like so many trailers do. I hate that, so utterly useless for saying anything about the game. I might like the videos as movies (Blizzard makes some stuff that makes some computer-animated movies look straight-up bad), but it won't convince me it's a game worth buying.

At least a movie-trailer is representative of what you'll see in the movie, as they're showing the same scenes you actually see in the movie (...usually. And curse the studios that change that up on you). The movie-trailer equivalent of these methods used in video-game trailers would be a film of them shooting the movie, or possibly a staged re-creation of a scene from the movie.

Upvote 0
Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 looks like a good combination of gameplay and action to me. If Red Orchestra 2 Mayhem would incorporate some gameplay perspective (preferably without HUD) that'd be the best. Right now it's very cinematic and fun to watch and might interest the viewer, so is good for a start, but not necessarily represent of the game itself like someone before me has said.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Problem is trailers show how the game is supposed to be played and so is supposed to look.

But it turns to play out very different often times

I've never seen Fallen Fighters so crowded at the center of the map or Grain Elevator with so much action or huge waves of attackers at the top of the street at Spartanovka and anywhere....

Upvote 0
Most HOS trailers won't be showed on TV or things like that, they end up on trailer websites and other online content places. That do not necessarily have a limit to length.

While it might take a lot of time, a video of someone playing a full round and seeing people work together for me often works better. I want to see if a game is what I'm looking for I want to know how the game goes in the end.

But what the old RO had was that it made you feel like you were an unlucky guy that happened to be in war. The newer trailers often look more like you're the lucky guy that gets to shoot loads of people. A different sentiment with me personally liking the war feel more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
and it must include all the good things from RO2,like:
-death screams
-slow death animations
-native voices
-pistols
-reload and ammo check animations
-bayonet charge and kill
-bolt action rifles as a priority
-taunts
-different uniforms

All the things that were on the BETA and vanished on release and things that I've never seen you mean, right?
And it would be nice to have unmountable bayonets...

Upvote 0
All the things that were on the BETA and vanished on release and things that I've never seen you mean, right?
And it would be nice to have unmountable bayonets...

Actually death screams are fixed but unreleased in either beta or regular. That's one of the things being sorted by TWI last minute. Native voices are in for the next patch (hence why it is suggested there) and bolts become a priority with client side hit detection, which should become more common if the memory leak/mutator problems are fixed by TWI.

Upvote 0
But what the old RO had was that it made you feel like you were an unlucky guy that happened to be in war. The newer trailers often look more like you're the lucky guy that gets to shoot loads of people. A different sentiment with me personally liking the war feel more.

That sums it up pretty well for me. I enjoy RO2, but one of the things I loved the most about CA/Ost was one of the things that also drove me insane: The learning curve and how HARD that game could be. I can get used to the fast-paced nature of HOS, but the stuff they've been working on is what really slowed my playing time down (Trying desperately to deploy an mg/at in the corner of a window, but getting mowed down while doing the 'cannot deploy here' dance). Once those type of gameplay elements are fixed and the community maps/packs start hitting, I think all will be well.

Upvote 0
Wow, the Mayhem video was great!
Amerikaner hit the hammer right on the nail!

A gameplay trailer btw is usually supposed to be hacking some footage together to show you how the game plays and demos the features in action. A cinematic trailer serves a different point. So the mayhem video is awesome but its comparing apples and oranges.

Upvote 0