Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Poll About Max Player Counts And Server Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I voted to leave the 64 players alone.... that's all there is to say.

Comment

• I wish that rather than a blanket player limit, there could be some kind of runtime benchmark that tests the server's CPU capability, and sets the max players based on its abilities.

There would have to be some validation activities to correlate benchmark results to server playercount activities, but I don't think it should be difficult. Once the validated tests are performed, it's just a matter of a simple lookup table...

This way, if a server truly is capable, let it run 64 players. (I don't believe there is such a server today, but maybe once Intel's Haswell based Xeons are released we'll see one), but if a server is slow enough that that high of a player count would add significant latencies to the gameplay, then automatically reduce it.

Comment

• Guys, please just calm down. Let's not turn this thread into an argument between the same 2 or 3 people.

Technically Mike, the majority voted to disable 64 player servers. Option 1 and 2 both voted to disable them, and combined they got more votes then leaving them alone.

Anyway, if we had an option D: Mekhazzio's Anti-lag, then that would be the best. Everyone would be happy.

Comment

• definitely reduce the player counts to 50 for me

Comment

• Originally posted by Raneman View Post
            Anyway, if we had an option D: Mekhazzio's Anti-lag, then that would be the best. Everyone would be happy.
            Option D, in your opinion, definitely not mine

Comment

• Originally posted by Ducky View Post
              Reducing the max slots from 64 to 50 will also mean that less players can enter today's top servers. These days only a few servers have a constant head count of 64. If they have only 50 available slots, then players need to look for another server and in time they will find again a "favorite" one. The server owners benefit from this. More servers will have human players. Even so will it increase the chance that for instance east-coast players do find a by humans populated server with acceptable ping.
              THIS ^ is why i voted to reduce the max slots to 50.

Comment

Guys, please just calm down. Let's not turn this thread into an argument between the same 2 or 3 people.

Technically Mike, the majority voted to disable 64 player servers. Option 1 and 2 both voted to disable them, and combined they got more votes then leaving them alone.

If this were a legit Vote/Poll/Election, I needn't say which choice would clearly win. Besides, the poll didn't say chose one or more. It allowed for only one vote per choice.

Imagine if they combined all the candidates votes to team up against one other candidate... would that be fair?

In any case, I voted to leave the 64 players alone but you raise an interesting point and yes, I agree with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike_Nomad View Post
                  If this were a legit Vote/Poll/Election, I needn't say which choice would clearly win. Besides, the poll didn't say chose one or more. It allowed for only one vote per choice.
                  in germany option 1 and 2 would form a coalition to gain the majority and compromise on their (similar) goals.
                  as game development is not politics, this poll is clearly undecisive, i guess we will have to trust the judgment of the devs on that matter.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][COLOR="Gray"][I] i7 3770K@4.3ghz; 8gb ddr3 1333; gtx770; 2x1TB hdd@raid0 + 128gb 830 SSD; win7 64bit[/I][/COLOR]

Comment

• While I understand the hand-wringing over a successful free weekend, which is a big deal for this particular game, I personally think it is bad form to reduce features, especially for the sake of only 10 ms latency. 30-40ms is starting to seem significant, but 10?

I should say that again. This is purportedly for the sake of only 10 ms latency. I hate to say I think Mekhazzio is right the elephant in the room is hit detection for which 10ms is thought to be a significant enough improvement to the overall experience that cutting features is considered. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to play RO2 as it is with 0 latency.

Another elephant that only Ramm mentioned is client performance (fps). I can understand that a slight boost to fps for a first impression might be a hypothetically good idea. But again, it's cutting features for the sake of a slight gain.
                    My idea, probably not as simple as I think, is rather than enforced max player limits, for TWI to implement a "TWI recommended server" program/feature where servers can apply to be benchmarked for official "recommended" status ("recommended," of course, with the disclaimer that user experience may vary). Make a one character column in the server browser for the little medals/symbols (a star, or something like that) that will indicate recommended status so that players can sort the list by recommended status. You could also have an in-between status for "recommendation pending". For the free weekend, introduce a splash tooltip that recommends new players to the recommended servers and to choose one with the lowest ping for them. Servers that get awarded this status can also generally toot their own horn in their names/descriptions/welcome screen to attract players. TWI can even decide --for the free weekend-- to only recommend 50 player servers if they really don't feel comfortable.

Another idea: Maybe start a campaign appealing to sever admins to lower their max player count voluntarily on the free weekend. Tell them it's for the good of the community and therefore, ultimately, their server as well. And if they want to they are heartily encouraged to go back up to 64 after the free weekend.

Maybe limiting the max players is a good idea. It seems to be a popular one, if you combine the hard and the compromise options.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarioBava View Post
                      I hate to say I think Mekhazzio is right the elephant in the room is hit detection for which 10ms is thought to be a significant enough improvement to the overall experience that cutting features is considered.
                      There is another option: Rather than ruminating over rolling back on one of RO2
                      [B][COLOR="White"]defekt[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

• leave it as it is! suppose it does make a bit of sense but 64 players is why i enjoy this game so mcuh..

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike_Nomad View Post

Imagine if they combined all the candidates votes to team up against one other candidate... would that be fair?

In any case, I voted to leave the 64 players alone but you raise an interesting point and yes, I agree with that.
                          They have this in New Zealand. It's called MMP!!

Me in cool either way, most severs here don't quite make it to 64 anyway.
                          Over 4 years and still can't get signatures to run!

Comment

• Originally posted by defektive View Post
                            . Not being able to shoot straight is by far the loudest complaint then, and it probably will be so again after the free weekend, so why not tackle the problem directly instead of fannying around at the edges.
                            I agree, "hit detection" issues are a big turn off, whether understood properly or not. New players will think a great game just plain sucks if they perceive getting robbed out of every other hit, which will happen on a widespread basis regardless of 10ms here or there (I guess very very few people will be playing below 50 ms).

If it is indeed true that the anti-lag mutator's issues originate in more fundamental memory management problems, then sealing these cracks could hypothetically improve client-side performance in the bargain, am I wrong?

Comment

---SNIP---
                              AFAIK, TWI did contact Mekhazzio about integrating the AntiLag mutator in RO2's code-base (see Mek's post about it here). Mek's mutator is an awesome thing, but it still will not solve problems with servers that are running with an overloaded CPU load. Sure you will have a better chance to hit the target, but also a higher chance that the server crashes due to the overloaded CPU. If a servers CPU is overloaded, then the server can give all kind of unstable behavior, from stutters to crashes. And that is what TWI is trying to prevent by reducing the number of slots to 50. I personally voted for ranked 50, unranked 64. Just for the sake to get more stable servers and 2nd but not least to get the player base spread over more servers as I said before.
                              TWB*BlueDuck

Comment

• While I enjoy and have no problems on the main 64 player US server. I voted for 50 players it would make the game more stable for alot of people.Also as a long time RO fan im all for getting new players in and things that will help keep them.I think a more stable gameplay experience would do that the game has alot to offer the fps fan looking for a change from arcade shooters.

As for the drop in numbers making the game less awesome.I don't think that would be the case.Its more about how awesome the teams are than the numbers.The most fun I have had in RO2 to date is small clan scrims or bloodbath type matches.

Either way I will still play and have fun.Just trying to look at the big picture here.

"Its easier to find men to die than to suffer the patience of war" Caesar

Comment

Working...
                                X