Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

WIP Forum Upgrade

Please pardon our mess as we continue to iterate on the forum style, css and images. If you have any suggestions be sure to let us know in the off topic part of the forum!
2 of 2 < >

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Community poll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community poll

One of the largest complaints about RO 2 from outside and within the forums was that it was still hard to get into and that there was not enough of a difference between Normal and Realistic
    I'm dubious of this quotation, but I've not seen any data so I'd like to get a read from the community

Obviously the people who made those complaints might not be here any more but I'd like to see the opinion of those who remain.
    Normal mode wasn't accessible enough
    7.77%
    Realism mode wasn't realistic enough
    49.12%
    The game was too hard to get into
    4.24%
    The game wasn't too hard to get into.
    38.87%

Originally posted by barakas View Post
    I'm dubious of this quotation, but I've not seen any data so I'd like to get a read from the community

Obviously the people who made those complaints might not be here any more but I'd like to see the opinion of those who remain.
    As I've kind of parroted around here already, the game was just fine for me and I enjoyed it right off the bat in Beta..... bugs and glitches excluded, obviously.

Speaking for myself, additional game modes were not needed.

Comment

Well, I tried to get some friends into RO2 and I can tell by my experience doing this that people who play "normal" FPS such as BF3/CoD/CounterStrike have a bad steep learning curve in Red Orchestra 2.

The Relaxed Realism mode wasn't friendly enough for most of them. So most of them abandoned RO2 when BF3 (that is a piece of sh...) launched. Maybe if they had more time to get used to RO2, they would try and adapt better to Realism.

I don't think that cross-hair is the key here for easy accessibility. One of my friends is one of the best Insurgency players that I've met here in Brazil... yet, he couldn't adapt to RO2. And in Insurgency there is free-aim and no cross-hair.

Other friend loved Killing Floor, that doesn't have cross-hair also, but also couldn't adapt.

I think that the main problem isn't the cross-hair, the damage model or the free-aim, but maybe they can fix or mitigate some problems. What keep people out is the "speed" of the game and some maps design decision that simply doesn't go well with gameplay elements... c'mon, Rainbow Six in "realistic" didn't had cross-hair and had a high-letality, but it was pretty much accessible. Same thing with Call of Duty:Modern Warfare in Hardcore Mode. (Yes, those last examples don't have free-aim, I know)

Problem is... I think that in RO2 everything is too fast. You die too fast, you run too fast (not anymore in RO Classic), you lose too fast. When I play, the expected time of survival is barely 10 minutes, but when my friends play, I think that this goes to 1 or 2 minutes and this can be frustrating. I mean... how are you supposed to know the map if you are killed in 1-2 minutes? Oh, you mean that I'm supposed to know the maps playing the horrible campaign with bots, isn't it?

If the campaign was good and motivating, I would say that this is fair enough, but why on hell would I play a boring campaign that is just the same maps with bots if I can play online that is the real deal and the main purpose of this game? And even if I play the campaign, how I'm supposed to know if I'm playing right or wrong or know the good hiding spots and the hot zones?

And I'm not bashing TWI. I love RO2, but the single player campaign is a bad joke. Maybe with an online campaign I can help my friends, but even so... do most people have someone to help them getting in the game? If most gamers need to do this by themselves, how they are supposed to enjoy getting killed 10, 20 or more times and not managing to even play. It's hard to convince people who passed more time watching the "spawn selection" screen than playing that RO2 is fun.

Actually, I think that ARMA 2 is more accessible than RO2, even being more focussed in simulation. It's less punishing.

That being said, I must say that I don't liked RO2's Realism setting before, but I think that it's getting better. Some options such as increase sway when out of stamina or after running is great to slow down the game and help it's tactical nature. Classic mode is really what I wanted Realism to be, but again, I'm not the typical FPS player.

Tactical shooter is different from competitive shooter and simulation. I expect RO to be a tactical shooter with realistic elements. I think that most players see the game on this perspective... so what makes a shooter to be a TACTICAL shooter? For me, a tactical shooter is defined by it's gameplay - it's focussed on positioning, played with intelligence, it's slower and it's not the player with more reflexes or pin-point accuracy that wins, but the player that positions himself better, that stops to shoot instead of gunning and running and so on.

This is what TWI needs to answer. I'm not against cross-hair or whatever... what I want is to TWI to give RO2 a soul, an essence. Is RO2 a competitive shooter, a realistic simulation or a tactical shooter?

Just my 2 cents. Sorry for my bad english.

PS: Talking about Insurgency - the one thing I loved about Insurgency is how it didn't show in its score tab the kills, deaths or the K/D ratio. I think that this has a bad effect on players psychology and need to be removed or let only on the "arcade"/action mode. For me even the "death message" is useless... you can earn points by killing, this is obvious, but it shouldn't focus on this and capturing a point or winning the game should be a lot more rewarding than killing. I don't think that it is really more rewarding right now, specially because you can get killed more easily capturing cap zones and it's easier and less dangerous to just... keep killing people away from the cap zone - that is a common problem in a lot of matches. If I were one of the devs I would take the kills, deaths and K/D ratio out of the score tab and even modify the stats so ommit that this kind of information. This doesn't need to appear - it's not a measure of how good tactical player you are, so it's useless and even dangerous for nurturing a wrong psychology on players.
      Last edited by Faust.br; 04-24-2012, 12:31 AM.

Comment

The game was fine in beta and on release for me, I know a lot of people had problems but I had none, and the gameplay was fine for me.

However, when trying to compare it as a successor to RO1, it did not feel realistic enough, but it was more accessable and easy to get into. I guess the lack of a giant learning curb changed the feel of the game.

Not as realistic compared to RO1, easier to get into.
        Formerly Extremity
        Specs: 8GB RAM, GTX 460, i5-3570k

Comment

Not realistic enough.
          I demand bayonets! Free pigstickers for everyone! Newb or Vet, all should be equal in m

Comment

Relaxed Mode wasn't accessible enough.

Realism Mode wasn't realistic enough.

None of these modes were interesting for me personally despite the fact that I like both hardcore and full-blown arcadegames.
            Last edited by Cyper; 04-24-2012, 05:53 AM.
            ''Much good work is lost for the lack of a little more.''
            - Edward H. Harriman

Originally posted by Rabid Penguin
            I would rather blowtorch my nipples off than play Action Mode.

Comment

Where is "im satisfied" option?
              [SIGPIC]http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12828&dateline=1201795074[/SIGPIC]

Comment

I expect the above poll will reveal nothing that we don't already know: RO2 wasn't 'RO' enough for the Roosters* but it was way too hard for the casuals.

Diablo III is another game that has mixed about with two of its core attractors in this latest incarnation: it's linear now and the skill trees are gone. Perhaps unrelated (but I doubt it): the console release has now been confirmed. RO2 doesn't have consoles to blame for the simplification of its game play but the philosophical design approach is the same: simpler > broader appeal > more money. Irritatingly, Diablo III will probably still do very well indeed.

Going live with ROC will be the trigger for me revisiting RO2 and I know that I'm not alone in this regard. (A few of my old clan are also hoping to give it another roll.) If I'm honest, I'm more excited about IC:V.

* A group of players which certain individuals herein have sought to vilify and set up as scapegoats to blame for RO2 not doing as well as most would like.
                Last edited by defektive; 04-24-2012, 06:19 AM.
                [B][COLOR="White"]defekt[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

I won't say "It wasn't realistic enough" because the term "Realism" tends to have different meaning to each individual person. Vanilla RO2 simply wasn't my cup of tea. I found it too fast paced for my tastes coming from RO1; I prefered the slower gameplay of RO1. This isn't to say I wanted RO2 to be a carbon copy of RO1 but I prefered slower tactical gameplay as opposed to what RO2 was at the time(Running into things like players playing COD style with a LMG really put me off). Much of this is remedied by RO Classic or further refinements to gameplay. In the end, everyone has different tastes and I found RO2 unappetizing at the time of release but recent changes have made it more appealing to me.

Greater Good Games
                  KillingFloorServer: 204.145.81.18:7707

Comment

I wasn't fully satisfied with the vanilla version because of several things that has been fixed in the classic mode at last. Some changes (like removing of shift-zoom, less stamina) while unrealistic, only improved the gameplay, so I can't say that I simply wanted more realism, while at the same time I wanted the shooter to behave more natural. It was less about vanilla being too fast paced and more about too robotic aim/movement of the avatar. I don't find my answer fitting anywhere in the poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Susi View Post
                      Where is "im satisfied" option?
                      The poll is to determine the nature of peoples complaints. If you have no complaints, simply don't sign the poll (or sign "the game wasn't too hard to get into").

Comment

I could only honestly agree with 'The game wasn't too hard to get into'.

The 'Realistic mode wasn't realistic enough' is sort of problematic for me. On the surface, it might seem true. If you stop to think about it though, it's not the realism MODE not being realistic enough, but rather some elements of realism which seemed like good ideas did not translate into better game-play. For me the prime example of this is zoom. Zoom is intended to model the human ability to focus intently on a narrow area and detect motion. The effect on GAME PLAY was to make every rifle-man a sniper and led to a greater degree of camping (in my opinion.)

My other big problem with the game as it was released last fall was load-outs, which over-loaded the game with smg's. Then there were default enemy weapon load-outs, which was just plain dumb. It could (and has) been argued that so many smg's WAS more realistic within the confines of an urban battle where smg's (especially for the Russians) were very much a standard weapon. Again, the result for game-play was less than desireable (again, in my opinion.)

So, before you check that particular box.....think about it. And also please stop to reflect that things are GETTING BETTER.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

My option wasn't on the poll, not enough people playing.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                          [B]The Hipster melted his barrel, because he fired the Machine Gun before it was cool.[/B]

Comment

What the hell man, you cant make a poll with only negative awnsers, ofcourse the results are going to be nagative.
                            What is the matter of a poll with only one sided awnsers.
                            [QUOTE=Fedorov;956796]Genuine fun > grind.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Nylle View Post
                              What the hell man, you cant make a poll with only negative awnsers, ofcourse the results are going to be nagative.
                              What is the matter of a poll with only one sided awnsers.
                              If you read the original post you'll see what I'm asking is to verify a claim made by Yosh that one of the biggest complaints of the game was that it was "too hard to get into" and "the modes weren't different enough".

In the context Yosh was using, "the modes weren't different enough" implied that Relaxed realism mode wasn't "relaxed" enough.

This seemed to jar with my personal experience of the community, who didn't seem very concerned that relaxed wasn't relaxed enough and didn't particularly complain that the learning curve was too steep. However I saw far more complaints about Realism mode not being realistic enough.

My option wasn't on the poll, not enough people playing.
                              The poll isn't to get peoples opinion on the game, but to see how their opinion matches to what TWI think it is. I think the poll shows that (of the remaining player base on the forum), it doesn't.

There are many other threads on other problems in the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X