• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Getting an edge in HOS with a better PC build?

ROII4Me

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
I started out with wanting to improve my PC some and I have managed to improve my ROII scores - some. This was mainly due to aiming being less glitchy and perhaps things are rendering on my PC before the other guy's a little more often.

The discussions about adding memory or upgrading cards now has me thinking it is time for a new PC.

With ROII performance during multiplayer in mind, at higher graphics settings, I would welcome comments on this possible build:

Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-Pro
CPU

Really?

Do you mean get solid state rather than the velociraptor? I am unfamiliar with solid state drives.

I haven't done it myself. Basically you install the OS and a few important (in this case RO2) games on it. However, since solid-states are expensive and don't come very big you wouldn't have it as your only drive.

It's kind of nice if you have an ordinary, regular-performance HDD as your main storage because it gives you wicked fast startups for your computer and any programs on it, but I don't know how that compares Velociraptor HDD since (quick google here) it's high-end from what I hear.

Bear in mind that the last time I had to get a computer was in '06 and I don't really keep with the trends.

Upvote 0
We run RO2 in ultra on two systems - both use the Nvidia 560Ti, 8 gigs, Windows7, and a large hard drive with 32 megs cache. One cost 980. and one cost 870. last year.

One cpu is the excellent i5-2500k and one cpu is the 6 core AMD 1090T.

This year we can now get pretty much the same performance with a regular system built from the i5-2400, 560Ti, 8 gigs, Windows7 for around 760.

By doing this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-gaming-pc-overclock,3159.html[url]http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-gaming-pc-overclock,3159.html[/URL] with the i5-2400 instead of the i3 in the article and the 560ti instead of the 6950 in the article. RO2 likes NVidia better.

That is one way to get a value system in the sweet spot for ultra settings at ~ 60 fps or better.

Upvote 0
Well, when I was looking inside to see how many RAM slot I had, I saw all the caked dust and took a can o air to it. I blew five years of dust out of the fan and heat sink of the cpu cooler and now the computer sounds like a jet aircraft - this being a "quiet PC" build.

So I will need to replace that at least. And it will cost another $200 to upgrade my RAM, with memory that won't work in the new PCs. So I figured I would bite the bullet and go for a new, maxed out PC now.

Otherwise, I have Core 2 Duo, 2.66 with a 2.66 FSB, with 4GB ram, upgradable to 8GB only.

Do you really think just buying a $200 video card is all I need to play the game maxed out without dying before the guy who killed me enters the room?

I compromised the last time, needing a silent recording studio PC but adding the 8800GTX for gaming.

Usually I buy the best I can afford, so it will last as long as possible.

I realize a 7500 rpm drive and i7 is overkill for ROII, but I want to be able to keep this thing for a long time.

And I can get a new cooler for the old pc and still use that in the home studio.

Upvote 0
I played ro2 on high with no problems on a windows 7 64 bit, Core2duo 2.33ghz overclocked to 3.0ghz, with 6 gigs of ddr2 ram on a HD 5770. It ran with no problems at all.

I wasn't too surprised about how well it ran. It is a great CPU. From what I've been led to believe, the game is processor heavy. I would get anywhere from 40 fps to 60 on a map like Pavlovs house. Is it possible to overclock your cpu? I bought another HD 5770 for $70 bucks on ebay to use in my new computer.

Now I have an i7 2600k 3.4 Ghz with 8 gigs ram on windows on 7 64 bit and it runs at a steady 62 fps everywhere. It is also on a standard 7200rpm HD. Whats the point of SSD right now? I can spare myself some of the milliseconds.

Upvote 0
Really?

Do you mean get solid state rather than the velociraptor? I am unfamiliar with solid state drives.

It is also on a standard 7200rpm HD. Whats the point of SSD right now? I can spare myself some of the milliseconds.

The point of the SSD is to gain the speed advantage with HD access time. Arriving at the class selection screen FIRST after a map change guarantees you will no longer be worrying about class availability. SSD read access is around 0.2ms compared to 17ms of a 10K RPM velociraptor HDD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another SSD convert here. I have the OS and demanding apps on my SSD and everything else on HDDs. The seek time for an SSD is all but immediate and there are no file fragmentation worries, and although I personally do not run RO2 from the SSD I can see the benefits in doing so (seeing as role selection is still a load time race, which I kind of hoped wouldn't still be the case with RO2).

Upvote 0
I have a 250W power supply that runs a computer that delivers 30* fps on 1920x1080. Computer cost me.. let's see... $380.

50$ case, (sentey ss1-2421)
65$ GPU (radeon 6670)
40$ memory, (8gb kingston hyper something 1333 IIRC)
125$ CPU,
70$ motherboard M5A 78L-M LX
0$ OS : windows 8 beta.

350$

Athlon II X4 3.4 ghz, Radeon 6670, 8gb of memory.

Just need to turn off some silly effects, and it works. With full details and everything on high, It works in 1400x900 or so pretty good.

*if I turn down the details to medium. And pretty reliably.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A cached O/S from an SSD loads fast....no doubt about that. But in all honesty I've seen just a second or two difference between loading RO2 from a standard 5400rpm hard drive and an SSD. Even when I had only Steam and RO2 on a Samsung SSD, I'd still be 8th or 9th joining.

I'm running an i5 2500k with 16Gb Ram and a 560Ti graphics card. I bought the SSD with the hopes of speeding up my game loading time, but as I said, for me that time was negligible. Caching the O/S has been wonderful though. Once I log in to Windows, I'm ready to go in well under 10 seconds....A/V and all.....

The i5 and the 560Ti work well with RO2 and (I think) is a good value for the money. I run it on High with VSync and get a rock steady 62fps. I'd run Vsync unchecked but there is a good bit of tearing at times. I haven't experienced the 'mouse lag' that some complain about when running Vsync on. If I run on Ultra, I'll get some dips to 35-40fps in some places on some maps and the play doesn't seem quite so smooth. I guess I could O/C the CPU and/or GPU and get it back up to steady 60fps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A cached O/S from an SSD loads fast....no doubt about that. But in all honesty I've seen just a second or two difference between loading RO2 from a standard 5400rpm hard drive and an SSD. Even when I had only Steam and RO2 on a Samsung SSD, I'd still be 8th or 9th joining.

I'm running an i5 2500k with 16Gb Ram and a 560Ti graphics card. I bought the SSD with the hopes of speeding up my game loading time, but as I said, for me that time was negligible. Caching the O/S has been wonderful though. Once I log in to Windows, I'm ready to go in well under 10 seconds....A/V and all.....

The i5 and the 560Ti work well with RO2 and (I think) is a good value for the money. I run it on High with VSync and get a rock steady 62fps. I'd run Vsync unchecked but there is a good bit of tearing at times. I haven't experienced the 'mouse lag' that some complain about when running Vsync on. If I run on Ultra, I'll get some dips to 35-40fps in some places on some maps and the play doesn't seem quite so smooth. I guess I could O/C the CPU and/or GPU and get it back up to steady 60fps.

I don't know what to say, I am always first or second to join with my game installed on a Crucial 64Gig C300 SSD @ sata 2, and it's not anywhere near as fast as some of the newer ones running @ sata 3 speeds.

Everything I do on my PC is so much faster since adding the ssd's.

Win 7 x64 SP1
Asus P6TSE
i7965XE ES @ 3.6
GTX 470 @ 750Mhz
6Gb Tri Channel Corsair
Crucial C300 64Gb x 2

Attachments

• BootSpeed1.jpg
    BootSpeed1.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally, I don't feel the prices and sizes of SSD warrant me buying one at this very moment, especially since HD prices are already inflated because of prior infrastructure damage to the markets in asia where they are produced.

Even with my 7200rpm HD, I am usually first or second in my game loads anyway. I'll wait until I can get a 200 GB SSD for $100 or so.

Upvote 0