• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Getting an edge in HOS with a better PC build?

Personally, I don't feel the prices and sizes of SSD warrant me buying one at this very moment, especially since HD prices are already inflated because of prior infrastructure damage to the markets in asia where they are produced.

Even with my 7200rpm HD, I am usually first or second in my game loads anyway. I'll wait until I can get a 200 GB SSD for $100 or so.

Erm solid state drives have not been affected by the price hikes on mechanical drives and their prices continue to fall.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know what to say, I am always first or second to join with my game installed on a Crucial 64Gig C300 SSD @ sata 2, and it's not anywhere near as fast as some of the newer ones running @ sata 3 speeds.

Everything I do on my PC is so much faster since adding the ssd's.

Win 7 x64 SP1
Asus P6TSE
i7965XE ES @ 3.6
GTX 470 @ 750Mhz
6Gb Tri Channel Corsair
Crucial C300 64Gb x 2

+1

I have a very similar system Das Bose.

With the SSD I have a couple hundred hours of mulitplayer time logged for R02. No matter what server I play on I am ALWAYS 1st or second to join on a map load. If I am actually second I chuckle to myself because I know that guy who slightly beat me is also running SSD.

Upvote 0
With the SSD I have a couple hundred hours of mulitplayer time logged for R02. No matter what server I play on I am ALWAYS 1st or second to join on a map load. If I am actually second I chuckle to myself because I know that guy who slightly beat me is also running SSD.

Would it help to have RO2 or Steam installed on a small SSD?

And use a normal HDD for other tasks?

Upvote 0
Right now I've got Steam and RO2 on a 10000rpm Raptor drive and caching the O/S on the SSD. And tbh, when I had Steam and RO2 on the SSD, I was not caching the O/S.

While I've got the ear of a few SSD pros....

Its been a while since I set up the SSD to cache the O/S, so I'm going from memory. I have a 120Gb Samsung SSD. Caching the O/S will use a maximum of 64. When setting up the Cache it partitioned the SSD into a 64GB and an ~54Gb partition. However, both were set up as RAID drives when only the 64GB needed to be. As far as I know, the ~54Gb partition is not being used at all.

My question....can I remove the ~54GB partition from it RAID status and use that part of the SSD as just another drive. That was my intention to begin with and was surprised to see that it was set up in a RAID configuration....(but not striping or mirroring anything that I can tell).

EDIT** well, scratch the question. I just tried to remove that partition from the RAID and it won't let me.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only tricky thing about getting your OS on an SSD is specifying that all personal directories and data should be created on your HDD. Especially if you don't want to lose anything when your SSD drive decides to go south (note: I said *when* not *if*). There's an option to do that after you install Windows, but it actually doesn't move everything.

There's an article on Microsloth's website somewhere, I can dig it out if anyone is interested.

Edit: here it is: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ifferent/565f16a5-e5ed-43c9-8422-4f56aebb296e

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only tricky thing about getting your OS on an SSD is specifying that all personal directories and data should be created on your HDD. Especially if you don't want to lose anything when your SSD drive decides to go south (note: I said *when* not *if*). There's an option to do that after you install Windows, but it actually doesn't move everything.

There's an article on Microsloth's website somewhere, I can dig it out if anyone is interested.

Edit: here it is: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ifferent/565f16a5-e5ed-43c9-8422-4f56aebb296e

Why not just regularly, and automatically back them up? Far easier than all that messing around. I've had my two crucial c300's around 2 years now and this machine is on 24/7. No sign of any issues.

It's when and not if with mechanical drives too :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Having been ignorant of the SSD thing, do keep posting about that.

But back to cards for a minute.

I think I will buy a 560 ti soon, maybe today. See how that improves things on its own - without getting more RAM or a new PC, for now.

But two questions

- would a 570 or 580 be worth the extra money? I mean directly relating to ROII loading and multiplayer?

- would the Evga 560ti Ultra be worth the extra money over other 560ti cards?

Upvote 0
Thanks.

I went ahead and ordered the 560 ti Ultra from Amazon, should have it by next weekend.

I know my current rig will not get the most out of it, but it is a step in the right direction.

And when the time comes that the 560 is lagging behind the pack, I will get another one for cheap and run two.

Sounds like a plan.

Upvote 0
Why not just regularly, and automatically back them up? Far easier than all that messing around. I've had my two crucial c300's around 2 years now and this machine is on 24/7. No sign of any issues.

It's when and not if with mechanical drives too :)

Because with this procedure, the ProgramData folder is moved as well - that means a lot of the temporary files are going to be created on the HDD, and that should prolong the life of the SSD. Flash memory has a limited number of erase cycles, so ideally you only want read operations on that partition.

Upvote 0
Floyd what did you partition your SSD with when you set up your current configuration?

I ask because it is important that the partitions are aligned correctly, and if not performance will suffer considerably.
I did not partition it other than as one large partition. My understanding (from what I'd read) was that windoze would only take 64GB's and leave the rest. Which is what happened, except it left the rest as a striped RAID drive. What it is striping, I have no idea....:rolleyes: I'd like to try putting RO and steam back on it.

I'll have to delve further and read the link given by Bauer. Having just experienced totally corrupted O/S files from a BOSD brought on getting a little too aggressive O/C'ing the CPU and GPU, I'm all, too aware of the "when". :cool: Not fun when the files of your livelyhood are involved....:eek:

Upvote 0
I did not partition it other than as one large partition. My understanding (from what I'd read) was that windoze would only take 64GB's and leave the rest. Which is what happened, except it left the rest as a striped RAID drive. What it is striping, I have no idea....:rolleyes: I'd like to try putting RO and steam back on it.

I'll have to delve further and read the link given by Bauer. Having just experienced totally corrupted O/S files from a BOSD brought on getting a little too aggressive O/C'ing the CPU and GPU, I'm all, too aware of the "when". :cool: Not fun when the files of your livelyhood are involved....:eek:

I swear that I read this post yesterday, almost word for word and yet it says you posted this an hour ago. I must be going mad....

Edit: Ok, I see that you already posted something very similar yesterday. Move on, nothing to see here :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
SSD sure do speed things up, 10 sec load time for win7 64. As has been said quite a few times use SSD for Os and major apps. but do not do as i did and buy a small SSd (64gig) as you really run out of space quickly, 128gig bear minimum, I run my PC mainly for recording and 3d modelling and really wish i bought a much bigger drive so i could use the SSD for those apps. Anyway I am also a SSD convert having shy'd away because of the early failure rates a while ago.

My current rig:
i5 OC'd to 4.2 very stable on air.
EVGA Mobo (really great boards)
16gig of Kingston Ram
Nvidia 560 ti oc version
a couple of 1TB hdd,s for storage and other apps.
Win 64 OS

These are the apps that are very happy to run on this system:
Reason (DAW opr recording software if you prefer)
POD Farm (Guitar amp modeller)
Modo 601 (modelling app)
Zbrush (3d sculpting)
Poser Pro 2012 (3d Figure and Animation)
DAZ Studio (3d Figure and Animation)
Vue 10 Complete (3d landscape and enviroment)
Photoshop CS5 (2d graphics)
Plus loads of other Day to day crap.

All these apps run so much faster and efficently than they did on my old Quad core system, as for going for the i7 I did consider it but because a tech sites where praising the OC'ing capabillity of the i5 I decided to save some money and go for that, and its bloody fantastic!!!!
I hope this helps, good luck bud..

Upvote 0