Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Getting an edge in HOS with a better PC build?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting an edge in HOS with a better PC build?

I started out with wanting to improve my PC some and I have managed to improve my ROII scores - some. This was mainly due to aiming being less glitchy and perhaps things are rendering on my PC before the other guy's a little more often.

The discussions about adding memory or upgrading cards now has me thinking it is time for a new PC.

With ROII performance during multiplayer in mind, at higher graphics settings, I would welcome comments on this possible build:

Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-Pro
    CPU
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Add a solid state drive for the OS and RO2 to run on and you are all set.

Comment

Really?

Do you mean get solid state rather than the velociraptor? I am unfamiliar with solid state drives.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

You can have my 560ti as I am upgrading to a 7950
        Runs great though for RO2!
        Edgar Lindner

Comment

That's not cheap.
          Most Honourable, Krobar
          sigpic
          Yea, I'd be that guy, with an obrez and an ice cream cart.

Comment

Originally posted by ROII4Me View Post
            Really?

Do you mean get solid state rather than the velociraptor? I am unfamiliar with solid state drives.
            I haven't done it myself. Basically you install the OS and a few important (in this case RO2) games on it. However, since solid-states are expensive and don't come very big you wouldn't have it as your only drive.

It's kind of nice if you have an ordinary, regular-performance HDD as your main storage because it gives you wicked fast startups for your computer and any programs on it, but I don't know how that compares Velociraptor HDD since (quick google here) it's high-end from what I hear.

Bear in mind that the last time I had to get a computer was in '06 and I don't really keep with the trends.

Comment

Originally posted by Clowndoe View Post
              Bear in mind that the last time I had to get a computer was in '06 and I don't really keep with the trends.
              That particular trend hasn't changed. Personally, I only keep the OS on the SSD.

FWIW, I have a 5 year old rig and my scores are just fine

Comment

We run RO2 in ultra on two systems - both use the Nvidia 560Ti, 8 gigs, Windows7, and a large hard drive with 32 megs cache. One cost 980. and one cost 870. last year.

One cpu is the excellent i5-2500k and one cpu is the 6 core AMD 1090T.

This year we can now get pretty much the same performance with a regular system built from the i5-2400, 560Ti, 8 gigs, Windows7 for around 760.

By doing this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...lock,3159.html with the i5-2400 instead of the i3 in the article and the 560ti instead of the 6950 in the article. RO2 likes NVidia better.

That is one way to get a value system in the sweet spot for ultra settings at ~ 60 fps or better.

Comment

Your computer is fine. In fact its bottlenecked by the GPU.

Get a 560 ti, I got one a few months ago and max this game like butter

Comment

Well, when I was looking inside to see how many RAM slot I had, I saw all the caked dust and took a can o air to it. I blew five years of dust out of the fan and heat sink of the cpu cooler and now the computer sounds like a jet aircraft - this being a "quiet PC" build.

So I will need to replace that at least. And it will cost another $200 to upgrade my RAM, with memory that won't work in the new PCs. So I figured I would bite the bullet and go for a new, maxed out PC now.

Otherwise, I have Core 2 Duo, 2.66 with a 2.66 FSB, with 4GB ram, upgradable to 8GB only.

Do you really think just buying a $200 video card is all I need to play the game maxed out without dying before the guy who killed me enters the room?

I compromised the last time, needing a silent recording studio PC but adding the 8800GTX for gaming.

Usually I buy the best I can afford, so it will last as long as possible.

I realize a 7500 rpm drive and i7 is overkill for ROII, but I want to be able to keep this thing for a long time.

And I can get a new cooler for the old pc and still use that in the home studio.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I played ro2 on high with no problems on a windows 7 64 bit, Core2duo 2.33ghz overclocked to 3.0ghz, with 6 gigs of ddr2 ram on a HD 5770. It ran with no problems at all.

I wasn't too surprised about how well it ran. It is a great CPU. From what I've been led to believe, the game is processor heavy. I would get anywhere from 40 fps to 60 on a map like Pavlovs house. Is it possible to overclock your cpu? I bought another HD 5770 for $70 bucks on ebay to use in my new computer.

Now I have an i7 2600k 3.4 Ghz with 8 gigs ram on windows on 7 64 bit and it runs at a steady 62 fps everywhere. It is also on a standard 7200rpm HD. Whats the point of SSD right now? I can spare myself some of the milliseconds.
                      [COLOR=Cyan][URL="http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/96.250.44.198:7777/"][IMG]http://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/96.250.44.198:7777/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png[/IMG][/URL]
                      [B][COLOR=Black][URL="http://LMCgaming.com"][COLOR=Cyan]http://LMCgaming.com [/COLOR]
                      [/URL][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by ROII4Me View Post
                        Really?

Originally posted by omniconsumer View Post
                        It is also on a standard 7200rpm HD. Whats the point of SSD right now? I can spare myself some of the milliseconds.
                        The point of the SSD is to gain the speed advantage with HD access time. Arriving at the class selection screen FIRST after a map change guarantees you will no longer be worrying about class availability. SSD read access is around 0.2ms compared to 17ms of a 10K RPM velociraptor HDD.
                        Last edited by Fishsticks; 04-19-2012, 02:54 AM.

Comment

A nice new gfx card and a fast SSD are your best options at the moment My SSD made me smile so much more than a new gfx card or cpu, and the prices are falling daily.

Having your OS load in 10 seconds and a map load in less is very nice indeed
                          Last edited by Das Bose; 04-19-2012, 04:26 AM.
                          If being a competitive gamer means doing this then I've never been more proud to proclaim that I am not a "competitive" gamer

Comment

You don't say anything about your monitor size. I'd recommend getting at least a 24" 16:10 and running at 1920x1200 or a 27" and some other insane rez. Of course, get a rig that is capable of running at the higher rez.

Not having to squint when aiming for those long range shots is priceless

Graviteam - for the true Grognard.

Comment

That would help see things farther away as larger. I have a 22" LG that tops out at 1680x1050 and refreshes at 60.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X