• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sacrifice of Vehicle Interior Animations & Enter/Exit:

Sacrifice of Vehicle Interior Animations & Enter/Exit:

• Yes

Votes: 148 59.4%
  • No

Votes: 101 40.6%

• Total voters
Hmm if we had a bit of a time machine here I would definitely consider telling TWI 3 years ago to just make the RO1 tanks with perhaps a bit higher detail. Sure the interiors are pretty, but If I really had to pick between 30 tanks on release or the two broken ones we got... .. is there any competition there?

Not for me there's no competition..... sure the ROCA/RO1 tanks has their issues, but they worked & there were piles of them to choose from..... where as the two tanks for RO2 have, what seems like, more issues, and a very long time to wait for more to come.

Even for all the little issues the ROCA/RO1 tanks/vehicles had, they're still of a higher quality & higher standard than the tanks & vehicles you find in just about every other MP FPS out there today, old and new.

Upvote 0
The central question for me in this poll is.. do we need animations in the interior.?
No we dont.

They add nothing to the playability of the game and are just another one on a long list of things that annoy about the tanking inadequacies. The TWI human time resource that is used on animating this unnecessary feature, should be spent fixing the tank engine and making additional tanks
I despair at how this game is taking so long to become playable and enjoyable for the majority of my friends list. Tanking animations need to go completely. They were an interesting idea when I first heard about them, but the implementation did not work.

Upvote 0
The central question for me in this poll is.. do we need animations in the interior.?
No we dont.

They add nothing to the playability of the game and are just another one on a long list of things that annoy about the tanking inadequacies. The TWI human time resource that is used on animating this unnecessary feature, should be spent fixing the tank engine and making additional tanks
I despair at how this game is taking so long to become playable and enjoyable for the majority of my friends list. Tanking animations need to go completely. They were an interesting idea when I first heard about them, but the implementation did not work.

I have to agree.

Upvote 0
I don't.
I think they did a good job on the interior and I find that and the animations very impressive. Don't leave this out of the game! They may add little to the playability, but they do add alot to the atmosphere!
Yes, there are alot of things wrong with the tanks (armour, bugs etc) but that's not the fault of having this amount of detail. More likely they just pushed the game out to soon. They should have released it later and with more tanks.

just my .50 cents. Anyone got change?

Cheers

Upvote 0
No we dont.

I have to agree.

:facepalm:

Upvote 0
No we dont.

I like less BF in my Ro 2 thanks.

Upvote 0
This game has maybe 6 months to get a player base back, because the year long rental, that many of the server admins subscribed for, is going to have run out by then, and server admins are not going to renew a rental for a game that has very little of a player base.

TWI have 6 months to get as much fixes and additional content into this game as possible, and creating animations for the inside of a tank does nothing to sort the game. Sorting the tanks in this game is crucial for the success of its longevity however, because it is good armour warfare that will set it apart from the competitors. It is the way that infantry and tanks can play together in a coordinated manner that will make the teamplay in this game a massive notch above any other game that has been released.

During my RO1 days as clan leader of the <AKA> clan, when we were arranging scrim matches against other clans, it is really hard to convey and describe just how good a game can become when you are fighting against a team on the opposite side who have all the tactics that different tanks provide you with, and the fantastic battles that can occur with infantry and tanks working together to beat the other team. It really is something that everyone on this forum should be lucky enough to participate in at some time. And hopefully TWI will get enough tanks (and troop transports) made, so that new tactics can again be contemplated by all of us desktop generals and soldiers.

I am not saying I dont like the animations, they are gorgeous to look at, and I truly appreciate TWI trying to find a fix for the teleporting tank crewmen. It just isn't important enough however at this moment in time. Its a piece of eye candy that can be sacrificed.

Upvote 0
I think the animations are needed to keep people honest and for immersions sake. Once again this is something soooo unique that this game has and it really sets it apart.

By keeping honest I mean you need an animation so that you can shoot people if they get out in the wrong area, insta appearing and being able to bolt for it is not in keeping with this games non-stereotypical standard.

Plus the animations in this game are a dream come true for me. I really feel like I am part of something seeing the crew inside the beast. Its one of my favorite things about driving a tank in RO2.

Its what I most look forward too seeing when the new tanks and half tracks come out. If not then why not just go back to other insta exit games?

It has to have soul for me these days, everything else has been done before really. These animations are what immerses me. Exactly the same as the animations for the infantry do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I really like the animations. It's nice to see a developer trying new things and taking risks.

I like them too, but not at the expense of more vehicles. TWI has tried a lot of ideas/taken risks with RO2...Some have been big successes...others, not so much. Unfortunately, the Tank sim seems to be in the latter category based on how people react to Gumrak coming up in the map rotation, for example and all the AT rifle whining. I always loved RO1 tanking. I think the base of the tank sim is there in RO2 and with a code overhaul like the one taking place now for the infantry sim, it could come into it's own as a popular game mode. The OP's concerns are valid since modding vehicles appears to be stillborn and I think it is important to have this discussion now, before TWI takes a second look at tanking. As far as personal wish-lists go, RO2 tanking sim needs, in the following order IMHO:

1)A review of damage models and AT rifle damage to satisfy the community's concerns therein
2)Sort out how tanks vs. halftracks/armoured cars will work (make spawning like RO1? Allow troops to ride tanks too?)
3)Add properly implemented full tank entry/exit at least as a server-side option
4)Streamlined process for adding new vehicles (i.e. this thread...simplify their design to encourage....
5) More vehicles
6)Fix the SDK to allow for more big, open maps to be made by modders who aren't frustrated with wonky redirects and such
7) Branch out the game to cover the Kursk (the big kitties vs the 85mm Ivans) maybe as a pay-for add-on.

I'm probably asking for the moon but these are desires for a perfect world.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well its obviously a face palm because he now realises what he has been missing in tanking.Its one of those"why didn't I think of that face palms"
:D

Um, I've already posted something very similar to what he posted (I've posted similar comments a number of times actually) I'm just agreeing because it's close to what I've already said.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you know how much work it requires? Replacing the animations we have with a black screen and a message that says: "switching to xxxxx position" would speed things up by 10 times and even more.

You and Prax are seriously kidding yourselves if you think TWI are gonna cut corners like that, having already done it the hard way. It wouldn't be consistent, and people would scorn it as shoddy work.

I too, would rather have that kind of Arma 2-style corner cutting than less content, but its too late. (Also as Yoshi says, animations aren't the big issue)

Upvote 0
You and Prax are seriously kidding yourselves if you think TWI are gonna cut corners like that, having already done it the hard way. It wouldn't be consistent, and people would scorn it as shoddy work.

I too, would rather have that kind of Arma 2-style corner cutting than less content, but its too late. (Also as Yoshi says, animations aren't the big issue)
I seriously hope that they tweak the code so that the modders don't have to make the whole interior/texture the whole interior/make dozens of animations/code the animations. Personaly, I don't have the time to learn how to animate characters. If they don't place a limit on your field of view inside the tank/replace the switching seats animation by something like a black screen, I'm just gonna leave and mod on an other UE3 game, simple as that. And for the heck of it, just visit the modding forum. You'll see how many people are still interested in making custom content. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0