Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

TE-Butovo Praise Thread!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TE-Butovo Praise Thread!

Few days ago i had first time change to play Butovo. And what kind of
    map that was WOW!!! My face was literally like this whole time.

It some how felt bigger than most of original maps. It was maybe little
    bit less detailed than original maps because of size, but that didn't break
    the immersion on any point. Actually first time on RO2 i felt like fighting
    on real environment. It just felt like real russian village not like some
    theater stage, which is how i feel on Spartnovka, even that Spartnovka
    is good map.

Also caps were well made, and 3rd one was really challenging.
    Only few thing i would change is that make 1,2,4,5 cap little bit challenging
    for axis and 3rd little bit easier, so that capping would have that same
    level of challenge on every cap.

Also maybe Soviets should have change to recap on 2nd cap, because
    now Axis doesn't bother to clean it from Soviets, they just occupy basement
    until building is capped and then continue to next cap, even that Russians
    got top floor.

Anyways huge salute to BOH-rekrut, if i would have money i would
    hire you to make maps for Karelian Front.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12828&dateline=1201795074[/SIGPIC]

Same to me. It just feels a lot more authentic, almost like villages I've seen in reality. Can't say much about gameplay, only played it once so far.
    I demand bayonets! Free pigstickers for everyone! Newb or Vet, all should be equal in m

Comment

This is a very good map. It has become our favorite lately. The terrain seems to favor the German team a little, but this can be overcome if the Russian team has good skills.
      The map needs to be studied a little before you will get entirely comfortable. There is a very influential use of elevation. The map is larger than many. My understanding is that Butovo is actually a battle that took place near Moscow. I'm
      assuming 1941, but I'll have to look it up.
      Mr Sajer's winter home heating provided by...
      i7-4790 OCd to 4.5**ASUS Titan Black GPU**16GB ddr3**Dual Intel SSD**Creative Labs SoundBlaster Zx ...and... a lot of fans.

Comment

I thoroughly enjoy this map.

Comment

Apparently there are two points of referrence for Butovo. One has to do with a villiage that was a focal point during the battle of Kursk. But almost all references point to the infamous Butovo near Moscow. Any referrence to battle details are completely overshadowed by numerous research articles about the NKVD killing field and mass graves at the Butovo site. The history and battle information upon which the Butovo map is based has so far escaped my ability to find it. I'd be grateful if those that designed the map would point us to a historical referrence covering what happended there and the dates during which it took place.
          Mr Sajer's winter home heating provided by...
          i7-4790 OCd to 4.5**ASUS Titan Black GPU**16GB ddr3**Dual Intel SSD**Creative Labs SoundBlaster Zx ...and... a lot of fans.

Comment

My only complaint.

Its not played enough.

Comment

More custom maps!

Comment

I didn't like it at first, but I'm warming to it as I understand it more. It's a good map.

My complaints have to do with the fences. Do we really need all those fences? If so, it seems there needs more coverage in the mantling nodes department (also some of the low stone walls need mantling nodes!).

Also it would be very awesome if the fences were destructible, since we are comparing to Spartanovka.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of it. It channelizes the teams into narrow areas that wind up negating most of the space on the map. The left and right flanks are almost completely useless because they're just wide-open flat expanses. The reinforcements are far too generous for the time limit's tightness relative to the map size and slow zone cap rate, which pushes the offense into zerg-rushing everything. The options in playing this map are very limited with the layout it has right now.

Then there's the technical issues...the fences are just a mess, the building lighting is poor (someone's invisible when they're inside a huge window on the sunward face of the building? Yeah, right), the active cap zones don't show up on the map, there's no resupplies anywhere in the middle areas, and the spawn point placement requires the Germans to spawnkill to take the church while also encouraging their own SLs to not actually play the game so they can fuel the zerg rush.

It's decent for a first attempt, but it's not very playable.

Comment

If it's not bigger than RO1 maps, I'm not interested.

Comment

I love it!

My favorite part of any war game is house to house fighting. Butovo has no shortage of it. I love the feeling of going from room to room with a bunch of teammates rooting out the enemy scum that are hiding there.

And if im correct, Butovo is the only map where ive seen entire squads (of real peopl) lining up along the side of a house like in that picture when grain elevator is loading.

Not to mention the other flank of butovo is more open ground with farm houses. its a perfect blend and I dont feel that its a funnel at all.

Comment

oh and the sun looks fantastic!!!!

Comment

Good map, tough for the Germans -lots of open ground to cover on the first 2 objs so have seen quite a few maps end with the hun stuck on C when the timer runs out.
                          In-game name: burt

Comment

Originally posted by Mekhazzio View Post
                            I'm not a big fan of it. It channelizes the teams into narrow areas that wind up negating most of the space on the map. The left and right flanks are almost completely useless because they're just wide-open flat expanses. The reinforcements are far too generous for the time limit's tightness relative to the map size and slow zone cap rate, which pushes the offense into zerg-rushing everything. The options in playing this map are very limited with the layout it has right now.

Then there's the technical issues...the fences are just a mess, the building lighting is poor (someone's invisible when they're inside a huge window on the sunward face of the building? Yeah, right), the active cap zones don't show up on the map, there's no resupplies anywhere in the middle areas, and the spawn point placement requires the Germans to spawnkill to take the church while also encouraging their own SLs to not actually play the game so they can fuel the zerg rush.

It's decent for a first attempt, but it's not very playable.
                            I logged in just to upvote this. I personally cant wait for it to come off the 2fjg server or atleast be updated and seriously reworked. As it is now its another grain elevator, a blind and pointless meat grinder.
                            "We must stand up men! Stand up and vow to continue to never play RO:HOS like never before! "
                            - HockeyWarrior,
                            From the original RO:HOS is dying thread circa 2009.

Comment

It's a great map, compared to most of RO2.

The first point is rather easy too cap, but the germans take many losses.

Second is pretty hard too: Pretty open space, if it isn't rushed it ends up with way too many losses, as the allies get to the nice sitting places.

B to C is the toughest, but a smoke screen and good assault/MP40 job can do wonders. Staying on the first level for the russian can do wonders, if well placed MG block the flow on the sides.

The last two points are pretty undefendable tough. Fire from C prevents you from reaching the church as a russian and E is large and messy.

it has the feel of some RO maps, that were pretty epic.

i don't know if it was historically correct, but adding a few trenches near the church could be nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X