• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

January 10th Update Notes

Finally. But guys, what took you so long (almost 4 months) to recognize and patch this issue? Or should I ask, how could that ever occur? Ostfront hadn't that problem.

Hopefully you won't mind me answering that - because TWI really don't need to :) (I mean it doesn't need to be them specifically - I'm not saying "they have no obligation to answer", that isn't what I mean :))

1) Fixes are based 100% on a priority list. Let's face it - with crashes, performance problems, server issues, unusually high latency - there are/were many issues with priority "ultra" :) If you have 20 issues with the highest possible priority, you then have to prioritise THOSE fixes because you cannot address all of them simultaneously. This happens to every software project, and indeed just every project of every type. Size of issue list has no bearing on how quickly things can get done - and sometimes, you just HAVE to do "thing B" before "thing A", because "thing B" has more of an impact on gameplay.

2) RO2 is not a continuation of RO1, in terms of code base at least. RO2 is a fresh, new project, using a more up-to-date version of the Unreal engine. As such, carrying over features is not a case of "it was in the old project and copied across, so we just need to tweak it". It's a case of "we need to remember this specific point, and recode it once we reach a certain stage of the project". Therefore, you have a good chance that the feature will not even make it across. Assuming it does, you still have a good chance it won't work as intended. Now we've identified a bug and have answered why it worked in RO1 and doesn't in RO2 - please see comment (1) for an explanation of why it's taken so long to fix :)

Yes I know - I don't work for TWI, and you want an explanation from the "horses mouth". Well, the explanation will match my own, but will be posted by someone with an orange/brown username - but it will still match my own explanation, and may even be much shorter. As in "(1) it was prioritised as high, but other things were more critical and game-stopping. (2) it's a completely new source code base and project - things get missed until later, at which point it's a case of prioritisation, so refer back to point (1)" :) heh

I work on such projects every day, and my company is about to sign up for almost GBP 300,000 worth of software and developments. We're seeing very similar things in this project, but obviously translated to business software instead of games. I've also been a professional developer myself for over 15 years, and it's a very familiar situation :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you submitted .dmp files from when you get these crashes? If not, have a look at this thread:

[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=63486[/URL]

The more .dmp files you can supply, the easier it'll be for TWI to find your particular problem :) I haven't actually had any crashes since just after release - so you'll need to bear with TWI on their investigation, as these are obviously quite obscure and therefore tricky problems to find. The fact that you can recreate the crash however, bodes well for TWI being able to do the same.

OK, i have submitted the dmp file in this fred right now. Hopefully someone gives a solution...

Upvote 0
The update fixes the crashes they could identify SO FAR. It doesn't fix the crashes they couldn't yet identify. Did you even supply a .dmp file yourself, or did you just expect the .dmp files of others to fix your own problems? Sorry for sounding cynical here, and I know that crashing is frustrating - but fixing crashes is a step-by-step process, made more difficult because only a small minority of players are experiencing these crashes. Each crash could be caused by entirely different parts of the code.

I supplied as many dump files of crashes since the patch that the upload quota allows me. As far as I understand quite a few players experience crashes. And yes it is frustrating to pay for something that is broken.

Upvote 0
And yes it is frustrating to pay for something that is broken.

I know, and I do hope TWI can fix your crash before you give up completely. I had a similar problem with Warhammer Online - it worked fine in the closed beta and early access, then a patch after release started random CTD's. It seemed I was in the minority, although there were certainly plenty of people reporting the problem - but compared to the overall player base, we were few. It took them something like 4 months to actually address that problem, and by then I'd given up - after pre-ordering the game, and paying for 3 months play. Damn them...

Anyway, yeah - I hope you do try and stick with it, and keep submitting .dmp files as you go :) RO2 needs every player it has, and preferably more.

Upvote 0
Hm, i think that would be strange, to submit everytime i have played a dmp file, no?

It happens everytime, after 2 or 3 maps.
why would it be strange? send them ALL to them. then send them again! if i were having problems with crashes, they'd be getting flooded with dmp files from me till the problem went away.

and to juv95hrn, i'd send all dmp files. not just ones since the last patch.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Before this patch I wasnt able to play 45 mins without a crash to desktop. After This patch Ive probably played atleast 8 totall hours and only had one freeze/crash. Definately an improvment. Even thought it was frustrating dealing with crashes and I went through a few periods of not playing for a few weeks/months, I just posted a ton of .dmp files here on the forums and hoped they looked into them

I'd like to believe they looked into my .dmp files & figured out what was causing my crashes and fixed it. Needless to say, Its nice to know I can freely choose when to play this game and when to stop playing this game and not be forced to quit because of crashes.

Upvote 0
Im not imagining it but the dp 28 has become suddenly the deliverer of hot death it should have been along. Dont ask me how but I've played the Soviet MG alot and it was fairly ineffective until the patch. This is no placebo effect because it was the last thing I was expecting and wasnt mentioned in the patch notes but instantly my kills doubled.:D

well, the gun is great but the mantling seems worse than ever, getting really fed up with the fact that most of the time i get killed is tring to find a spot which will let me set up the MG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
post it again then. and keep on posting any new ones. you can't post too many if you want the game fixed.

Before this patch I wasnt able to play 45 mins without a crash to desktop. After This patch Ive probably played atleast 8 totall hours and only had one freeze/crash. Definately an improvment. Even thought it was frustrating dealing with crashes and I went through a few periods of not playing for a few weeks/months, I just posted a ton of .dmp files here on the forums and hoped they looked into them

I'd like to believe they looked into my .dmp files & figured out what was causing my crashes and fixed it. Needless to say, Its nice to know I can freely choose when to play this game and when to stop playing this game and not be forced to quit because of crashes.

i'd like to think that as well. people that don't post them and post them often, but yet complain that their game doesn't work, irk me. like twi is the all seeing all knowing god. no mind readers there.

Upvote 0
You can only provide 5 mb of uploaded files. Each dump file is about 500 kb large so you can only upload about 10 dumpfiles at the time. Since the devs give no feedback that they have downloaded your files or remove them after doing it you actuallly don't know if they even have been considered.

It doesn't feel worhtwhile to upload files so the devs can fix their broken game, remove them and upload others when you don't even know for sure they have considered the first files. They should either increase the amount of files you can upload or remove the dumpfiles from players post that they have examined.

Funny thing. I installed the game on another computer and I can't play it on that computer either. So now I have two computers where this game is broken. Amazingly bad value for the money if you ask me and this is what I will tell people that ask me.

Upvote 0
post it again then. and keep on posting any new ones. you can't post too many if you want the game fixed.

i'd like to think that as well. people that don't post them and post them often, but yet complain that their game doesn't work, irk me. like twi is the all seeing all knowing god. no mind readers there.

You can only post 10 dump files, then your quota is full. So yes you can post too many. If you try to post more the files won't show.

Upvote 0
You can only post 10 dump files, then your quota is full. So yes you can post too many. If you try to post more the files won't show.
only ten at one time. then do another post and give ten more. sorry if i tell you they can't fix your problems without them and you want to tell me you can't give them all to them. if i were having problems and truly wanted to get them fixed, i'd be a bit stubborn and make sure the got ALL of them. i'd also be doing it on a weekly basis! the squeeky wheel, is the one that gets the grease.;)

Upvote 0
Not until they fix the SDK as it also crashes in content broswer for loads of us

Ant chance of some info on what or how to fix this as it very frustrating spends 30 - 60 mins sorting sumit out to have SDk lock your pc up
and loose work - I thought this was the Finnished artical not a beta anymore ?

Upvote 0