Forum Rules

• Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Leading for ping is ridiculous, Mk.2: An Example

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leading for ping is ridiculous, Mk.2: An Example

The networking model in RO2, or more specifically, its lack of latency compensation, has been a common topic on these forums. Every time it comes up, there's always several people who say they don't notice any problem. If you don't know what to look for, that's fairly understandable. In a fast-paced game, it's easy to chalk it up to simply missing, or perhaps vastly overestimating bullet time of flight. Others point the finger at what would be a more visible flaw, such as bugs in the damage model or hit detection.

Tripwire has dutifully investigated those bug reports multiple times since the game's release, and each time, they can't find a problem. Only, those bug reports keep coming in. There's obviously a problem, except it's not a bug, and it's not in damage or hit detection. It's a fundamental design flaw of the networking model itself, which becomes clear with some analysis.

So here's just one possible example out of many, in gory detail (1 MB image):

The networking model drastically alters every shot made at a moving target. This target was running almost directly at me, with barely any lateral motion at all, and it's still enough to turn an almost perfect heart shot into what only narrowly avoids being a complete miss.

Instead of traveling at 865 meters per second, my Mosin-Nagant shot had an effective speed of less than 100 meters per second. It's not realistic, it's not accurate, and giving movement such a huge artificial advantage is not good for gameplay either.
    Last edited by Mekhazzio; 01-08-2012, 11:08 AM.

Nice analysis, and it also answers my doubt why I haven't seem to have experienced the often criticised "hit detection problems" (other than the due to obvious hit box problems related to the cover system), simply because I play on servers where I have a ping of around 100 (max, often less), so my shots will hit more closer to what I am aiming at (though probably still somewhat skewed).

Yeah, lower pings mitigate the problem, but nothing can cure it entirely. It exists in a small amount even on a LAN connection and its sub-1ms network travel time, thanks to the server tick rate delay. It's just inherent to the design. That's why virtually all multiplayer action games use some sort of latency compensation method.

"Play on a server with a better ping" is, unfortunately, not a viable option with a niche game like RO2. For the last several months, there has been just one server with a consistent population on my entire continent. It's on the Atlantic coast, I'm on the Pacific coast. That's not a recipe for blazing connections.

It's also not the real source of the problem, anyway. Almost every other FPS ever made will eat 150-200ms for breakfast, and most can smoothly handle two, three, or even six times that much latency. The RO series is special in this regard, and not the good kind of special.

Excellent post, hopefully it will enlighten many other players to this serious flaw that has plagued the game since its release.

I can think of no logical reason as to why TWI has not switched to a more consistent hit-resolving system, such as client side hit detection. Client side hit detection would improve the game drastically in my opinion. While many will argue (and have argued) that the client side system causes "I just got to cover, wtf?" deaths, which it does, I would argue that a few of these slightly annoying but easily explained deaths are well worth the tremendous increase in consistency.
        "Voicing ones unpopular opinion does not make one a troll."

Really good post.

While I don't like how 'lag compensation' (or whatever you want to call it) is implemented in some (DICE) games, there's clearly an issue here that's detrimental to play.

I'm finding increasing numbers of players running across the open without fear and lamers zig-zagging to bayo you so that close range (lack of) hit detection means you can't even hit them with an SMG.

Don't know what the right solution is, but it's not good as it is.

Blame deuteranopia every time. [/CENTER]

+1 OP, and props on the gif, it worked great in explaining the issue.

I usually stick to just one or two servers where I get pings of 50 to 80. There are times when I'm pretty sure i dodge a bullet just because my ping is good, and not because I have uberskills.

Mekhazzio, this has been talked to death. You should know that lag compensation is good for intercontinental play. But makes for a load of unpredictable gameplay for all, aka: Shot past corners, shot only registering on client side, etc.

TWI is also known for it's stand on this, they do not want it. But please, all means just continue your discussion.

Originally posted by Zaltehook View Post
                  I can think of no logical reason as to why TWI has not switched to a more consistent hit-resolving system, such as client side hit detection. Client side hit detection would improve the game drastically in my opinion.
                  I'm sorry, but the moment you mention client side hit detection you frankly have no place talking to anyone about hit detection. Seriously, think about it for a second. Especially with regard to security...

There are a few ways to deal with latency, but they are all server side. Frankly I don't see the hit detection changing in RO2, since it would be a huge change to make.

Argh, please stop them from ignoring this.

Why can't they force a default tick-rate to be better on servers, it will take more CPU but this is affecting gameplay drastically and that's important :\.

Epsecially after they've fixed the random CPU high usage issue, they should improve the tick-rate.

Honestly, I have 160ping on even local servers sadly, and I have to lead my shots up to like 5m before I get a hit.

The way I fix this? I play the MGer, so about 12 bullets per person normally ensures a kill.
                      [B]The Hipster melted his barrel, because he fired the Machine Gun before it was cool.[/B]

Anyone who zig-zags understands the network latency mechanic, or at least the practical results of it, which is why we do it. Irregular changes in movement make you progressively harder to hit the closer you are to your intended bayonet warmer because the ping-compensation target lead distance becomes more and more dramatic; at greater distances the lead variance is far smaller thus the chance of me getting pegged 'by accident' increase.

Originally posted by defektive View Post
                          Anyone who zig-zags understands the network latency mechanic, or at least the practical results of it, which is why we do it. Irregular changes in movement make you progressively harder to hit the closer you are to your intended bayonet warmer because the ping-compensation target lead distance becomes more and more dramatic; at greater distances the lead variance is far smaller thus the chance of me getting pegged 'by accident' increase.
                          but we're "lamers" for using this obvious tactic to avoid getting shot. LOL! it's not like guys ran in straight lines to get shot in real life.

i really wish this leading for ping stuff wasn't a problem but i have noticed it plent of times as well. i just don't know if the solution would be better or worse. i'm just going to have to trust tripwire to make the right decision. they have the most to lose if this doesn't get fixed!

one thing i don't understand, you have one group saying leading for ping is killing the game and another saying the rifles are lazer guided and over-powered. are they just the lucky ones that have all the good populated servers with tiny pings?
                          1 million fps Slow Motion video of bullet impacts made by Werner Mehl from Kurzzeit - YouTube

Support your custom mappers! Only play servers willing to run custom maps!

Nice post man. It's annoying, and this was you shooting at a targets biggest point, it's center at close range. I'm sure we all tried to hit a guy with a bolt from long range while he is running, it's frustration to see bullets kick up dirt a feet behind him. That's why i sometimes just pick MG and spray 15 rounds infront of him in a line so that he runs into them. After a couple of minutes playing like this i realize what the he'll I'm doing and just close the game and play something else...

Very true thing mentioned here. My problem is mostly that I aim and fire at somebody coming straight at me, even with a good ping (40ms) I often seem to miss. But the target hasn't moved to the left or right just forward towards me.

Best thing: I'm shooting at someone, aiming for the center of his chest and I see blood spurts acknowledging a hit BUT he keeps on running or stops to start aiming at me. The second shot is fired as soon I rebolted and again blood spurts. The enemy is still on his feet. Not even seconds later I'm dead. How come, both the other player and I had decent pings. I had confirmation twice I hit him.

I believe it there's something basically wrong with the hitdetection. I just do wonder why RO Ostfront has a good hitdetection and its sequel's performance is really bad on this sector.