• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Leading for ping is ridiculous, Mk.2: An Example

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the game is fundamentally flawed and there is absolutely no way to fix it? Was it the same in Ro1?
It was essentially the same in Ro1, but there are a few important reasons why it wasn't such a glaring issue.

1) RO1 had less mysterious issues that cause major lag spikes or generally super high ping.

2) People did not have performance issues with RO1. This meant that servers could better handle the game, and better performance always leads to less issues. It's not directly related, but worth mentioning -- especially given that the game is still poorly optimized for many people's systems.

3) Player movement was quite a bit slower in RO1, so it was much easier to predict where your target would go, and you had more time to adjust a shot. In RO2, players dart around at sprint-speed, turning on a dime, exacerbating the bullet lag issue.

In RO1, even if I had a bit of bullet lag, I could solidly predict where an enemy target would be from frame 1 to frame 2, because I knew that the player's movement inertia wouldn't allow them to instantly change direction. This allowed me to make much more reliable moving and stationary shots than in Ro2 where both high ping and momentum-less players combine to create a very unrealistic and frustrating FPS environment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great post OP!

It's gotten to the point that with a bolt or semi, I rarely even fire at an enemy running across my field of fire at close range. It's way too frustrating and always ends with "WTF!?" It's safer to hide or go BayoRambo at that point.

I'm a decent player and have experienced and compensated for all sorts of lag issues in various games over the last 7 years and have found that I have a much better chance of hitting someone at 100+m on the run in HOS than I do at 15.

Attachments

• 0495973434.jpg
    0495973434.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Excellent post, hopefully it will enlighten many other players to this serious flaw that has plagued the game since its release.

I can think of no logical reason as to why TWI has not switched to a more consistent hit-resolving system, such as client side hit detection. Client side hit detection would improve the game drastically in my opinion. While many will argue (and have argued) that the client side system causes "I just got to cover, wtf?" deaths, which it does, I would argue that a few of these slightly annoying but easily explained deaths are well worth the tremendous increase in consistency.

Client side hit detection would allow hackers to use bots and other devices with no effort at all. They could basically tell the server they hit everyone and the server would say "Ok, you just got 32 kills, congrats". Server side hit detention only!

Link to Ramm's thread on hit detection.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=662931&postcount=9

Upvote 0
It was essentially the same in Ro1, but there are a few important reasons why it wasn't such a glaring issue.

1) RO1 had less mysterious issues that cause major lag spikes or generally super high ping.

2) People did not have performance issues with RO1. This meant that servers could better handle the game, and better performance always leads to less issues. It's not directly related, but worth mentioning -- especially given that the game is still poorly optimized for many people's systems.

3) Player movement was quite a bit slower in RO1, so it was much easier to predict where your target would go, and you had more time to adjust a shot. In RO2, players dart around at sprint-speed, turning on a dime, exacerbating the bullet lag issue.

In RO1, even if I had a bit of bullet lag, I could solidly predict where an enemy target would be from frame 1 to frame 2, because I knew that the player's movement inertia wouldn't allow them to instantly change direction. This allowed me to make much more reliable moving and stationary shots than in Ro2 where both high ping and momentum-less players combine to create a very unrealistic and frustrating FPS environment.

According to this post, we can hope for an improvement for this lag compensation problem with the next patch. They are working on the mysterious lag spikes and pings that seem to go through the roof. I noticed the other day my ping went from about 100 to over 600 and back again!

They're also working on performance isuues as well, right? hopefully they make a big jump this time!

As far as slowing down the player movement, I don't know if they ever have plans to change that. Not sure if it will matter when they get your first two points fixed. I'll be happy when they take care of the first two, then lets see if the guys speed still has as big an impact as it does now. It'll sure be easier to hit them!

Upvote 0
It sounds to me like a lot of people are confusing client-side hit detection with client-side prediction and server-side lag compensation. Please keep your terms straight to avoid confusion.

Now for a good example of the latter, see any Valve game. I might be biased after playing CS and various Source mods for ages, but I very much prefer it over the kind of delays we are seeing with the current system in RO2.

Upvote 0
*emphatically stamps post with personal approval*

I can offer one big reason. Ramm Jaeger has been in charge of designing the net code for RO2 and he is absolutely 100% against lag compensation. We've had this discussion before on the forums more than a year ago. If I can find the thread, I'll post it here. Perhaps someone else here can find it, though there are hardly any members LEFT that existed on this forum more than a year ago (gee, I wonder why?) so that could be too much to ask.

But how to fix it so it won't be terrible?

See BF3 for how to NOT do it.

Upvote 0
Mekhazzio, this has been talked to death. You should know that lag compensation is good for intercontinental play. But makes for a load of unpredictable gameplay for all
Intercontinental play? Here's a picture of the server list at the time I'm making this post. It's early to mid evening on the weekend in the US, which is, not surprisingly, a gaming prime time according to Steam user graphs. I connected to the first server on the list - the one I usually play on - and took a screenshot of the scoreboard. With the two most extreme outlying data points removed (one at 60, one at 660), the remaining 48 people on the scoreboard have an average ping of 140ms.

This is not intercontinental play, and it is not an edge case. This is a typical spread on a typical night in the USA. If you're playing RO2 in North America, you can, on average, expect all your shots to have 1/7th of a second time error. "Unpredictable gameplay" is what we've got, and is the problem. That's what all the people discussing zig-zag evasives are talking about. The entire point of this thread is discussing how much more reliable the shooting (something of a core part of gameplay in a shooter game) could be.
I consider 150 - 200ms ping obscenely high. Even when I'm at 80 ping, I'm thinking: 'damn, I should leave this server'. When you say there are games where you have no problem shooting people with 200ms ping, I senserely doubt people are able to shoot you / get shot by you without encountering major inconsistensies.
By that criteria, given the size of the player base and the geographical distribution, most of North America would simply not be able to play RO2, or would be forced to diffuse themselves across multiple 5-15 man servers.

As for the effects of latency on a well-designed networking model, sure, there will always be temporal inconsistencies. There's no way around that, that's simply what happens when you're trying to resolve actions between clients that are separated by a greater time span than the actions take place in. What you can do is make sure that the worst side effects, like the relative aim towards a moving target getting skewed drastically, don't also occur. That's why people who are used to other first-person shooter games see the implementation in RO2 and immediately assume there must be bugs involved: its design has artifacts that game developers have solved more than 15 years ago.

Upvote 0
Would you rather lead somebody or deal with being killed by people you can't see as having the ability to do so?
Over what we have now? Hell yes, I would unquestionably take "dying behind cover", as that phenomenon is commonly called. The reasons are straight-forward:
  • It's just an artifact of the time delay, and it's trivial to deal with. It's easy to remember where I was 200ms ago. It's not so easy to predict where a target is going to be 200ms in the future. In fact, unless they're running in a straight line, it's pretty random. Even the straight lines can be a pain in the *** at times.
  • We can already "die behind cover" under the current model. While I was recording footage last night, I caught it several times. I could put some on youtube if you'd like to see solid examples. We wouldn't be getting anything new.
  • It's a fairly rare event. People don't move very quickly in RO2, and with the sighting delay, aimed snapshot fire is nonexistent. It's pretty rare to gain or lose LOS on someone in just 200ms, and it takes a miracle to flick-shoot someone in that time.
  • But you know what's not a rare event? Shooting at a target that's doing something other than standing perfectly still. Making that work is just a little higher priority.
Well then if the unreal net-code is perfect for fast moving entities over multiplayer, then why the hell are we seeing so many problems with RO2?
Because RO2 is using it for something it wasn't made for. Unreal's basic system is fine and dandy for a game based on short-range combat with brute force weapons. When your staples are rocket launcher splash damage, miniguns, and screen-filling flak cannons, you don't really care how well it holds up to pinpoint precision. When they changed the game design, they should have changed the network design too. In RO1, it was somewhat excusable to stick with the default, because they were a struggling development team just trying to get something out the door, and, as others have described, the action was slow-paced enough that it wasn't quite as game-wrecking.

But this is RO2, and it's well past time to get around to fixing this.
I'm sorry, but the moment you mention client side hit detection you frankly have no place talking to anyone about hit detection. Seriously, think about it for a second. Especially with regard to security...
Client side hit detection is not a dirty word, even in regards to security. RO2 runs both VAC and Punkbuster, either of which is entirely capable on its own of detecting a modified client process. We can be as assured that the client is reliable as we ever can be in PC gaming. A potential man-in-the-middle approach is always theoretically possible, just as it is now and always has been, but it has the same problems it always has, of being a huge technical undertaking to produce a cheat that's even more visible to spectator & demo verification than an aimbot is. In short, the same methods that have always deterred cheating will continue to do so.

Client-side hit detection has the twin advantages of being extremely easy to implement and also taking the substantial hit detection load off the server, distributing it among the clients. The latter is almost enough of a reason by itself, given how stressed RO2 servers tend to be.
This thread highlights one of the many reasons why I haven't touched RO2 for quite some time.
The bullet lag really is terrible. It's basically the main reason my friends and I quit playing.
My friend has quit for this reason too. At times, I'm almost there also. It would be a shame, because hidden behind the garbage networking is a game that I would clearly quite enjoy for a long time....and seeing a good product wrecked by poor programming offends me on a professional level :(

Upvote 0
Honestly, I have 160ping on even local servers sadly, and I have to lead my shots up to like 5m before I get a hit.

The way I fix this? I play the MGer, so about 12 bullets per person normally ensures a kill.
Sounds like a problem with your internet or computer. I can play on NY/NJ 64 man servers with about 85ms ping, and play on UK servers with about 120ms ping. I do get the times when it the server side lag kicks in and it goes up, but the majority of the time it's fine. You've got computer/internet issues.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.