• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bots, why? why are so many servers using bots?

I have to agree with the OP that bots are distasteful and completely absurd.

Instead of letting the game run it's natural coarse, where servers that don't populate, shut down, and the number is consolidated into fewer stronger servers that stay populated, your just dragging it on to its inevitable fate.

For example, you have 1 American server that is full all the time, F2jG. And now, instead of a second successful server, we have a bunch of puppy servers holding 5-10 players with the rest bots. Very lame. How about you failing servers shut down so the remaining players can consolidate into one server and play without bots.

Sounds harsh but your bot servers are only satisfying players who want easy rank up. Even the most advanced bots are still a joke and don't play anything close to human "like".

In the end its just my opinion and nothing more, and I'm sure it rages some of you, but I for one will never play in a server with bots. Its lame, it takes a GREAT game and brings it down several notch's, and almost makes it a complete joke.

Upvote 0
I mostly play on bot server.

1. First because i'm new to RO2 and i want to learn to play all the class correctly.
  2. Second because when i played my first MP the server was full of campers and lonewolf so it killed my motivation to play server with only humans players. At least bot stay together, take cover, attack objectives and humans can join the server.
If they weren't bot server i wouldn't play RO2 at all ,i would just prefer playing FH2 (forgotten hope 2) which is much more enjoyable (more support vehicles, arty and more fire support to kick campers).

Maybe add a bot filter to the servers.

Upvote 0
You guys do know that if you join a server set up with say 8 bots and the server already has 6 live people are playing, that when you join and one of the bots dies there are now 7 people and 1 bot? When one other person joins, there are 8 people and 0 bots? Thus no bots on the server anymore......

I always find it mildly amusing when someone joins as the 7th or 8th player and they see one bot they leave. Often the server population takes off after 7 or 8 people are on it. Lots of excellent hardware going unused.....

If its a server with quality hardware that is close to you and you like the clientelle that generally play on it, then why not become part of the solution, help the community and get a second popular server up and running with enough players that no bots are concsripted into duty?

Upvote 0
You guys do know that if you join a server set up with say 8 bots and the server already has 6 live people are playing, that when you join and one of the bots dies there are now 7 people and 1 bot? When one other person joins, there are 8 people and 0 bots? Thus no bots on the server anymore......

I always find it mildly amusing when someone joins as the 7th or 8th player and they see one bot they leave. Often the server population takes off after 7 or 8 people are on it. Lots of excellent hardware going unused.....

If its a server with quality hardware that is close to you and you like the clientelle that generally play on it, then why not become part of the solution, help the community and get a second popular server up and running with enough players that no bots are concsripted into duty?

Agreed Floyd, well said.
People who wont populate well run servers are the problem, NOT bots.
Don't like bots = join a server and a bot will leave. There you go, you have helped already:)

Upvote 0

Agreed Floyd, well said.
People who wont populate well run servers are the problem, NOT bots.
Don't like bots = join a server and a bot will leave. There you go, you have helped already:)

You guys obviously are missing the point here. Nothing kills immersion like a bot does.They are either too stupid to not run into a wall, or they virtually hack. Pun intended.
What is funny, if you look at the results, they speak for themselves. The ONLY US server that is full, is the ONLY US server that doesn't run bots.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with the OP that bots are distasteful and completely absurd.

Instead of letting the game run it's natural coarse, where servers that don't populate, shut down, and the number is consolidated into fewer stronger servers that stay populated, your just dragging it on to its inevitable fate.

For example, you have 1 American server that is full all the time, F2jG. And now, instead of a second successful server, we have a bunch of puppy servers holding 5-10 players with the rest bots. Very lame. How about you failing servers shut down so the remaining players can consolidate into one server and play without bots.

Sounds harsh but your bot servers are only satisfying players who want easy rank up. Even the most advanced bots are still a joke and don't play anything close to human "like".

In the end its just my opinion and nothing more, and I'm sure it rages some of you, but I for one will never play in a server with bots. Its lame, it takes a GREAT game and brings it down several notch's, and almost makes it a complete joke.

Our server runs with bots (CLOWNS) and no, we are not a "puppy server" for levelling up. The server has been around for about 6 years now under different names, and we have a core group of regulars....who have gotten very small, but the same guys who play together over and over. Sometimes I'll go on and some of the guys will come around and we'll have a few bots on so there is some fun and excitement and as more players join, less bots are active.

RO2 doesn't yet have the playerbase and our server is empty most ofthe time and though I do play on the big 64 person server, it just doesn't cut it for teamwork and gameplay. I think because it is the only 64 server full most evenings it attracts everyone, which is not necessarily a good thing. Hard to build a community of regulars when every vet to noob to half price weekend player shows up to try things out.

Try some of the smaller server numbers, even with a few bots on. It usually only takes 6 or 8 guys to get on and the critical mass is reached. Then the server fills up quick and the bots just don't respawn.

You might even be surprised at the level of play when real humans are actually working together with the added complication of bots (as someone said are better teamplayers than most humans at this point).

If you won't ever join a server with bots, you are limiting yourself to pretty much 1 server or 2, where the best teamwork and gameplay that RO has to offer just won't be demonstrated.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
You guys obviously are missing the point here. Nothing kills immersion like a bot does.They are either too stupid to not run into a wall, or they virtually hack. Pun intended.
What is funny, if you look at the results, they speak for themselves. The ONLY US server that is full, is the ONLY US server that doesn't run bots.
How do you know they don't run bots?
Have you ever been on it with 10 or less people?

Reactions: Srinidhalaya
Upvote 0
I.Hatebot

Seriously... I couldn't agree with the OP more. If your server has 0 people on it then post a thread and make a steam event after dinner time on Saturday. Seriously, I'm about to set up a server just to say loudly and proudly it doesn't run bots. Sorry. Bots are for single player. When I click "multiplayer" I expect to face intelligent and skillful opponents.

Upvote 0
I.Hatebot

Seriously... I couldn't agree with the OP more. If your server has 0 people on it then post a thread and make a steam event after dinner time on Saturday. Seriously, I'm about to set up a server just to say loudly and proudly it doesn't run bots. Sorry. Bots are for single player. When I click "multiplayer" I expect to face intelligent and skillful opponents.

You sounded good until the last line....because the bots are more intelligent and skillful than many human players. :D
But I understand you wanting to play humans vs. humans.

Upvote 0
They don't run bots.
I'll check later..

The other part of your post says with equal authority that "its the only US server that doesn't run bots." Gee, if you say so.....:D

So you can see that I take what you espouse with a rather large grain of salt....;)

If the answer were that easy, we could fill all the servers up. Which by the way, leads me to wonder why all the 'experts' aren't running their own full servers?

Last edited:
Reactions: Srinidhalaya
Upvote 0
I'll check later..

The other part of your post says with equal authority that "its the only US server that doesn't run bots." Gee, if you say so.....:D

So you can see that I take what you espouse with a rather large grain of salt....;)

If the answer were that easy, we could fill all the servers up. Which by the way, leads me to wonder why all the 'experts' aren't running their own full servers?

As of when I posted about it being the only US non bot server, it was. Right now? I'm not sure I haven't checked. (Unless someone is running a US server that is ping 300+ to a 30megbit/sec connection, might as well be over seas)

My first reply mentioned the fact there is too many servers, I don't plan on adding to the problem.

@ Mr. Vain, I would gladly join your server if running no bots, even a 1 vs 1 is more enjoyable than 10v10 with ANY count of bots, stack on top or included. Try advertising your change next time, and even promote an event in the forums. If I remember correctly, trees don't make any noise when falling down if no one is around to hear it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I.Hatebot

Say humans or maybe you only play vs friends D:

cos that last line is so wrong.

Upvote 0