• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About "RO2 Dying"

By the Nine, I don't think the attitudes on this forum could get any more toxic.

The numbers don't lie, guys. RO2's peaking much higher than RO1 or KF at this point after launch. That means that a LOT more people are pleased with RO2 as it is -right now- than people were pleased with RO1 at launch, or KF at launch. That number isn't going to go anywhere but up. Just because you guys are convinced that TWI is the Third Reich doesn't mean that a huge number of players aren't enjoying the game in it's current state.

Oh, but those players are wrong, aren't they? Nobody could like RO2 as it is. Until TWI re-implements everything that was in RO1, the game is doomed to failure in the first few months of life. Never mind the fact that it has outsold everything else they've ever released, never mind the repeated promises that they'll continue to support the product, never mind the numbers that say that there are, in fact, quite a lot of people playing the game. Nope. RO2 is dead until they satisfy the constant wailing of a small group of people here on the forums.

They made the game they wanted to make, and people are playing and enjoying the game. You can chose to either move out of the past and learn a new game, find another way to get your hardcore fix, or wait for the SDK proper to release and fix it yourself. As for me and most of the people still playing, we're happy with things the way they are. Stop trying to put your dicks in our pudding.

Upvote 0
At the time I said that, it was a planned feature for launch that we had stated several times. That thread was one of many that said we did not plan to support it with "facts" to back it up(counter to what had been said).

Sadly, that intended feature did not make launch. Does that make me look bad, yes it does. However to my knowledge we still plan support for it in the future, but it isn't on the high priority list atm due to other issues.

I completely understand. I work for a small software development outfit as well, and when something important comes up before launch, trivial things are ignored to fix the "show-stopper" level bugs.

Something that would probably help, that many here have touched on, is some form of consistent, streamlined communication in a central location.

I am confident RO2 will get better with age, much like a fine wine.

I like TW. I like you because you're gamers like me. I like you because you take the time to respond to stuff like this on the forums, take suggestions seriously and most of all PLAY THE GAME.

I like you because you're not EA. Battlefield 3 with origin and battlelog feels like this:

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
By the Nine, I don't think the attitudes on this forum could get any more toxic.

The numbers don't lie, guys. RO2's peaking much higher than RO1 or KF at this point after launch. That means that a LOT more people are pleased with RO2 as it is -right now- than people were pleased with RO1 at launch, or KF at launch. That number isn't going to go anywhere but up. Just because you guys are convinced that TWI is the Third Reich doesn't mean that a huge number of players aren't enjoying the game in it's current state.

Oh, but those players are wrong, aren't they? Nobody could like RO2 as it is. Until TWI re-implements everything that was in RO1, the game is doomed to failure in the first few months of life. Never mind the fact that it has outsold everything else they've ever released, never mind the repeated promises that they'll continue to support the product, never mind the numbers that say that there are, in fact, quite a lot of people playing the game. Nope. RO2 is dead until they satisfy the constant wailing of a small group of people here on the forums.

They made the game they wanted to make, and people are playing and enjoying the game. You can chose to either move out of the past and learn a new game, find another way to get your hardcore fix, or wait for the SDK proper to release and fix it yourself. As for me and most of the people still playing, we're happy with things the way they are. Stop trying to put your dicks in our pudding.

Very good post! The small strident few will never get it in their tiny heads that this is not RO #1. This is a new independant game, for most of us, surpasses RO #1 in a lot of respects. This is the best WWII game I've ever played on the PC and I've played alot of them, going back to Close Combat: A Bridge to Far.

Upvote 0
Nader,

RO2 came with 10x more hype and advertising that RO1, and it came at a time when people were itching for a new shooter. It came on the heels of TWI's reputation and track record for releasing quality games. It also has accessibility elements, carrot on a stick treadmill grinding, achievements, and more dumbed down gameplay. You also forget that it has a Single Player campaign mode. Do a little experiment sometime and actually count the number of players in the server browser then compare to the Steam stats page. Theres a ~400 player difference most of the time.

RO1 should no way compare to RO2 in terms of player numbers with all the sweeping changes they made to make it more accessible to a wider audience and the fact RO1 came with no hype. Fact is it failed to appeal to any particular audience

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They made the game they wanted to make, and people are playing and enjoying the game. .

And they also forgot to explain to us in details how the game would be ( some might even say misleading us ).
I'm not sure that the sales would have been so high if all "RO vets" who dropped the game since release had not preordered it and put some nice words everywhere they could .

You just dont get that people are pissed because of this exact fact. They were expecting a total different gameplay experience for RO 2 ??

If it had been laid out on the table " hey guys this is how the gameplay is going to be " , people would have moaned and just moved away not ending spending 40 dollars/35 euros on something they wouldnt like.

And it feels like the dev themselves didnt really know where they wanted the game to head.
In my opinion the original policy of " you can mod it out , or change it in the server configuration" is already a proof
At some point devs should be like " hell this is my game and this is how it's going to be".
People just want such a declaration to know if the game will keep matching their expectation ( or the oppposite ).
I can see that a lot of players feel frustrated by this

Last edited:
Reactions: Tweek and melipone
Upvote 0
And they also forgot to explain to us in details how the game would be ( some might even say misleading us ).
I'm not sure that the sales would have been so high if all "RO vets" who dropped the game since release had not preordered it and put some nice words everywhere they could .

You just dont get that people are pissed because of this exact fact. They were expecting a total different gameplay experience for RO 2 ??

If it had been laid out on the table " hey guys this is how the gameplay is going to be " , people would have moaned and just moved away not ending spending 40 dollars/35 euros on something they wouldnt like.

Hello?!

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkk3SiywLHI]Red Orchestra 2 Detailed Gameplay - Interview with John Gibson - YouTube[/URL]

Reactions: TravisT
Upvote 0

If I could give you rep for this post I would (already given you the maximum amount). Really, what is the charm in a new game that is nothing but a copy of a previous one? Yes, there are certain things that could be altered and things that should be made optional and so on, but it is still a great game and it will only become better. Also, as soon as the SDK is completed all of thee who want RO:Ost Reloaded will be satisfied, so it's nothing but a matter of time; have patience! Whilst "The grumpy RO:Osters" are grumbling about angrily, I, and many with me, will continue enjoying RO2 more and more and when the time comes for a finished SDK the grouchy bunch can get all they want as well; everyone happy in the end! Celebrate!

(Of course there are dissatisfied people handling it maturely; kudos to you, for not spewing negativism over everybody, and just hold out a little longer; tomorrow's a brighter day!)

Upvote 0
Oh man , 28Sep2010
I will go through details of the video if I have time later ( but I doubt it )

It doesn't matter anyways because those people had in their own mind what gameplay they were hoping for. They were hoping for Ro1 with better graphics. And those people with foot in mouth desease just can't accept the more streamlined game play. Yes, eveything was explained a year ago how streamlined the gameplay was going to be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nader,

RO2 came with 10x more hype and advertising that RO1, and it came at a time when people were itching for a new shooter. It came on the heels of TWI's reputation and track record for releasing quality games. It also has accessibility elements, carrot on a stick treadmill grinding, achievements, and more dumbed down gameplay. You also forget that it has a Single Player campaign mode. Do a little experiment sometime and actually count the number of players in the server browser then compare to the Steam stats page. Theres a ~400 player difference most of the time.

RO1 should no way compare to RO2 in terms of player numbers with all the sweeping changes they made to make it more accessible to a wider audience and the fact RO1 came with no hype. Fact is it failed to appeal to any particular audience

But the funny thing is that RO2 barely registered outside of the RO1 community. When people talk about "big shooters for Fall 2011," RO2 wasn't even a blip on the radar. I only found out about RO2 through the TF2 cross-promotion (I had stopped playing RO1 long before).

The fans of RO1 were all hyped up, but nobody else had ever really heard of it. You're just listing the things that you don't like (and I will contest "dumbed down gameplay" till I'm blue in the face) as reasons that TWI "totally abandoned their loyal playerbase and tried to appeal to an outside audience like a creepy dude in a van full of candy." Heaven forbid TWI try to evolve their game and bring it into the next generation using mechanics that have been shown to be both popular and successful for a huge variety of games. I won't argue that the implementation was pretty goofy, but that's fixable.

RO2 is still a niche game in every sense of the word. You're projecting your own hype and disappointment onto the playerbase as a whole, and it's just not the case.

RO2 has been one of the most enjoyable games I've played in recent months, and it was a great $40 investment, despite the rocky launch. I've stopped playing recently, not because I'm bored with the game, or frustrated with bugs, or angry because TWI didn't deliver, but because there are a huge number of other games that I'm eager to sink my teeth into. I just finished 100%ing Batman, Skyrim and Saints Row are dancing coyly on the horizon, and I have a bunch of friends I play TF2 with on a regular basis. When my schedule loosens up a bit, I'll be back with a vengeance. Saying that BF3, MW3, and other games are poaching some of their playerbase is a very fair assessment. Just because I really like RO2 doesn't mean that I can't play other games.

Besides, the server browser only shows games that are relatively local and multiplayer. Stat tracking tracks everyone running the game at that moment, including singleplayer, LAN games, and international games.

And it feels like the dev themselves didnt really know where they wanted the game to head.
In my opinion the original policy of " you can mod it out , or change it in the server configuration" is already a proof
At some point devs should be like " hell this is my game and this is how it's going to be".
People just want such a declaration to know if the game will keep matching their expectation ( or the oppposite ).

Well, TWI did make the classic dev mistake of talking too much about gameplay before the game rolled out. A lot of devs do it (*Eyes Peter Molyneux*). And the community made the classic mistake of assuming the game would behave a certain way before it was released. It's a lot of hype and miscommunication, revealing too much information before launch when changes to the game were still fluid and features weren't fully implemented yet.

For example, if they had avoided mentioning the multiplayer campaign before launch, and then announced it as a coming free update, everyone would be pumped. Now they're just disappointed.

Again, you're confusing your expectations and the hypothesizing of forum members as canon word of God as how the game would be. TWI made the mistake of talking about too much gameplay before they were finished with it, focusing on what they had planned rather than what they had done.

It's a classic mistake. The good news is that TWI is going to add the features that are missing, they -are- listening to the community (believe it or not) and are adding a lot of features that their players want, and anything they don't add is trivial to change in the SDK.

But, you know, the "Tripwire is evil" conspiracy theory is fine too. It's just headache inducing.

Upvote 0
I wish TWI would do the same what TaleWorlds have done to Mount and Blade series.
TaleWorlds released quite nice and unique game M&B designed not for casual/wide audience so graphic wasn't so good or bugs appear sometimes but gameplay and possibilities were lovely. Also developer added mod tools and keep supporting game, so fanbase was growing up. TaleWords heard their fans and created Warband - successor of M&B, game designed for same audience with improved features and added multiplayer. Gameplay haven't changed at all and their fans loved it. TaleWorlds didn't:
- make smaller maps
- speeded up general movement and make game fast paced
- add arcadish or gamey elements like unlocks and fantasy weapons
- add players progression, levels, etc into multiplayer
- put linear campaign but leaved it as open (sandbox) world
- changed combat
- removed any features that were core of gameplay
- turned into mainstream title

So Warband, with improved gameplay, not changed or mixtured with other right now has way more players than RO2 has.

peak: 3,304 Mount&Blade: Warband (1,5 year old+)
1,332 Red Orchestra 2 (2 month old)

Red Orchestra has same story - Ostfront was released as Indie and unique game got it's own playerbase and fans expecting RO2 as improved core RO:O gameplay. But RO2 isn't anymore unique, but its mixture of CoD and other mainstream shooters, so results can be seen in numbers and not satisfied fanbase.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wish TWI would do the same what TaleWorlds have done to Mount and Blade series.
TaleWorlds released quite nice and unique game M&B designed not for casual/wide audience so graphic wasn't so good or bugs appear sometimes but gameplay and possibilities were lovely. Also developer added mod tools and keep supporting game, so fanbase was growing up. TaleWords heard their fans and created Warband - successor of M&B, game designed for same audience with improved features and added multiplayer. Gameplay haven't changed at all and their fans loved it. TaleWorlds didn't:
- make smaller maps
- speeded up general movement and make game fast paced
- add arcadish or gamey elements like unlocks and fantasy weapons
- add players progression, levels, etc into multiplayer
- put linear campaign but leaved it as open (sandbox) world
- changed combat
- removed any features that were core of gameplay
- turned into mainstream title

So Warband, with improved gameplay, not changed or mixtured with other right now has way more players than RO2 has.

peak: 3,304 Mount&Blade: Warband (1,5 year old+)
1,332 Red Orchestra 2 (2 month old)

Red Orchestra has same story - Ostfront released as Indie and unique game got it's own playerbase and fans expecting RO2 as improved core RO:O gameplay. But RO2 isn't anymore unique, but its mixture of CoD and other mainstream shooters, so results can be seen in numbers and not satisfied fanbase.
Our only hope are modders

Upvote 0
Its like they used their reputation as an indie dev that loves their community so much (by giving false promises on the forums) as a marketing strategy, so people would advertise the game for them out of "TRUST" in the devs.

After game was released all we've got are Ramm's dodgy replies with 0 content in them truly
"u're less than 0.1%" "RO1 had stg44's and it was fine" "we are thinking about thinking to consider changing some game mechanics..".

Upvote 0
By Celestia's Beard, guys.

The only similarity between RO2 and Call of Duty, Gears of War, Battlefield 3, and other "mainstream" shooters is "lol I click the mans and he falls down."

There are -no- gameplay similarities between the two. There are a few features that have cross-pollinated (like the stat tracking and unlocks), but that's like saying that Mount and Blade sold out because they added a multiplayer to what was fundamentally a singleplayer experience before, when they should have spent more time on the singleplayer. It's just a feature. A game does not change it's audience or become more like another game by simple virtue of having a few features in common.

Anyone who -has- played mainstream shooters in recent years will tell you that RO2 plays and handles -nothing- like them, and there is very little in RO2 to appeal to a mainstream gamer.

The "RO2 TRIED TO BE LIKE COD" argument is bad, anyone who uses it should feel bad.

Upvote 0

The gameplay was "laid out on the table" pre-launch. Every gameplay video from before the beta, and especially the friends and family beta videos, gave a very good and very accurate representation of RO2 game play. Pretending that these didn't exist doesn't change the fact that they were there for absolutely anyone who cared to see them to watch.

If you're talking about features that didn't make launch, that's another story entirely. That said, the features that didn't make it in for launch aren't elements that change the way the MP game plays, so they aren't really relevant to the comment, in my opinion.

I find it interesting, and to be honest a little disheartening, to see that many of the same people who deride Call of Duty appear to be clamoring for TWI to follow the CoD formula of shining up the graphics, repackaging the exact same gameplay, slapping a 2 on the title and going fishing for cash. Tripwire did release a proper sequel because they allowed the game to evolve rather than simply shove the same game at us and expect us to pay for it a second time.

-EDIT- This last comment is not directed to the poster I quoted. It is simply a general observation based on the plethora of posts claiming that RO2 is doomed to fail because it's not RO1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I find it interesting, and to be honest a little disheartening, to see that many of the same people who deride Call of Duty appear to be clamoring for TWI to follow the CoD formula of shining up the graphics, repackaging the exact same gameplay, slapping a 2 on the title and going fishing for cash. Tripwire did release a proper sequel because they allowed the game to evolve rather than simply shove the same game at us and expect us to pay for it a second time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this laughably ironic.

It's been 6 years since RO1 was released. Shooters have evolved significantly. TWI could have easily been lazy bums and released an HD texture upgrade of RO1 with a few added features and called it a full release. Instead, they injected some life into their old formula, and now the old girl is bucking too hard for a lot of the more rigid members to keep up.

A great man once said that you should never release a sequel made by fanboys, because they'll keep everything the same as the previous game out of "respect" for the franchise without evolving the gameplay. The best sequels use the previous game as a jumping off point and evolve the gameplay mechanics in new and interesting directions. Seems to me that's -exactly- what TWI did with RO2. It's definitely an RO game (punishing difficulty, realistic weapon handling, lots of attention to detail and authenticity in everything from the level design to the uniforms to the guns, etc.), but the gameplay has evolved and moved on from a tired old formula.

It's everything a sequel should be. Warband wasn't just M&B with a multiplayer tacked on, it was heavily rebalanced, polished, given a whole new depth of mechanics, and revamped in many ways. There also wasn't a 6 year gap between M&B and Warband, so games had less time to evolve between the two releases.

Upvote 0