• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About "RO2 Dying"

If Quake was done today - YouTube :)

I'm guessing (and I'm one of them) a lot of complaints about the game are coming from older gamers who did a lot more difficult games where the reward systems etc weren't necessary to keep us playing (like Q3, Tomb Raider games, ...)

Trying to make another simply shooter like all the others was imo the mistake that was made with RO2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great to hear something from TWI, but (I'm sorry) as others before me pointed out, there is a need of more clarification on many aspects of the game.

I have the dream that TWI will abandon the most arcadish stuff (stat-upgrades [and upgrades] and load-outs) but I'm quite aware that this is not going to happen. I guess I and presumably many others will have to wait for a mod that will redeem us from our great misery and will bring FPS heaven to us again.

I'm looking foward to see the player numbers of the mod that pleases the realism-tactical shooter-nonCOD crowd versus vanilla RO2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The week before BF3 came out - Peak player counts about 3,000
The days after BF3 came out - Peak player counts about 1,500

Facts are facts...

Those are two facts indeed. It's the fact you assume one is responsible for the other, when it actually just influenced it.

Edit- That sounded a lot more trollish than I intended. Good to see a response from the devs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great post, and it's connections like this is the reason a PC game will always rule over a console, it's wonderful to feel part of it all and know that our median thoughts will reflect in the updates.

So, forgiving you the fact that by deleting the RO is dead threads you also deleted all my funniest replies ( not saying much I understand), the only thin I would like to say, in my opinion, for more work is

S-W-A-Y

I love so many aspects of RO2, especially the cover, but the lack of sway, moreover the ability of a rifleman to hold his weapon with deadly accuracy for a legth of time with no rest, is the major setback for me. Add the sway from the weight of a gun and gameplay will fix itself for a large part.

And once again, thanks for connectiong with the community. Feel free to kill me repeatedly on the battlefield as a thank you.

Upvote 0
Ramm, I'm glad you posted your thoughts and I'm glad to hear about the commitment to future polish (not that I expected the game would be abandoned) but I still find it puzzling you keep ignoring key issues. You paint a picture of the forums being a hodge podge of a million opinions, when in reality, there's a pretty unanimous agreement on where the game has gone wrong. It's understandable if you personally disagree with these views but what I can't understand is why the changes won't be made in realism mode while relaxed realism can stay the same. Maybe I missed your comment on these issues but I don't think I have. Saying new content/polish is coming is needed and very nice to hear but it doesn't alleviate current popular gameplay concerns. Taken from my previous thread with some edits, the issues are:

+ increased weapon sway (I said before I prefer the sharp accuracy of RO2 which is more like the mod but at the same time gunfights result in who saw who first which makes the game too fast paced and the battles less interesting. Just a slight increase here would be nice because this might be largely fixed with the next two points on the list...)
+ increased time it takes to accurately aim (slightly)
+ harder to line up target after going into iron sight (slightly)
+ less autos
+ MKB/AVT40 only available to heroes (yeah this can be done manually now but it should be default in realism mode)
+ new larger maps with longer rages (this might have to wait until when/if we get half tracks, trucks, and other transport vehicles)
+ longer time until bleed out starts
+ longer window to bandage to prevent bleed out
+ a more cohesive squad system
+ option to choose leveling upgrades

In addition to that, I think its worth mentioning the huge drop in launch week player counts. IIRC there were 8-10,000 players around launch. This sharply dropped to 3,000 before dropping to the current 500-1000 at peak NA time. It looks like the current peak 1,500 value is coming from euro peak time which is disappointing for NA players. For a game not marketed so well you would hope the game would be climbing the charts based on word of mouth not steeply dropping 80% of players since launch and still dropping. And then as hockey said, the complaints we're hearing from most of the community isn't so much "BF3 is out now, peace!" but more of a dissatisfaction with RO2 itself.

With that said, I love the game and I've defended it more than most I think. But it's 1.5 months in and despite the reassurances I'm not sure the major gameplay decisions being made are on the right track at this point. If you really believe BF3's launch was the cause of losing half the remaining playerbase then you really need to start paying attention to who's left. You got the mainstream's money and lots of initial players but look at the facts: they ditched you in a few weeks. Now you need to listen to the guys who either stuck around or are waiting patiently for changes. That's where the long-term support is going to come from. The changes I listed are not huge overhauls and, like I said before, they are the opinion of the majority, not some random complaints. Address those issues and use the boatload of cash to strengthen what really matters, the core community.

EDIT: And obviously, the SDK is hugely important for long term success. I remember full mods were expected to be release within a few months of launch and at this point the SDK isn't even fully functioning and that's being positive (it's largely been very broken). Huge emphasis needs to be placed on getting this out very soon. Fan's eagerness to use the SDK is greatly impacted by how popular the game is which is another strong motivator to fix the key gameplay problems and bring in a larger solid playerbase.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Still waiting for my pre purchase add ons, still wondering why Ive only recorded 11 hours, which include hours of trying to get game running.

Server pop dropping, look at your customer service. Its very poor.

I have given up now with this game, so full of promie when I was testing. Heap of poo, now im still waiting for my unlocks, oh, and rankings, and all the other pap.

IMHO you guys nw hat many of us would be hit by ****e service and were prepared to put up with it, hoping we would go away. I just want what I paid for, nowt else.

I can cope with crashes, incomaptability issues etc, but ranking, unlocks....gis me money back.

Steam say they cant, you wont....

Theives.......

PS, I want my pre purchase expenses refunded. I done your beta test, game fail, unlocks fail, I will keep the ****e game, but still waiting for bonus items, they need refunding.

Upvote 0
I dont see any clear effect of BF3 when looking at the player amounts though. First there is a rock steady decline, then a patch released and the player amounts got a bump and went down with a slower decline. With a small spike every weekend. There is no clear jump around the 25th when bf3 was released although the slope of decreasing player amounts might have increased a bit.

Still, it's pretty unlikely that the BF3 launch had no effect.

Consider that even the Sept 29 bf3-beta may have impacted player numbers too.

I Like your Red Orchestra 1 wayback stat reporting. Thumbs up.

Upvote 0
First off let me apologize for my tone as well, as I know I can be blunt. But I think that I and others wouldn't post and try to give our reasons if it weren't because we see the potential in this game.

There are many people giving their opinions in a good way why they don't like things in the game. There are points indeed coming from both people that think the game is too slow and campy and the game being too run and gun. And to be honest I think both parties are right.

At longer ranges the gameplay often ends up in sniper fights, game play wise it feels as if everybody got sniper scopes, be it smg or rifle users. Its very easy to hit things accurately, and because the enemy is lurking zoomed in it makes it very hard to spot someone due to the reduced field of vision. Generally one of the things I loved in RO how some classes like the sniper were limited, now every weapon to me feels as if it got a sniper scope on it game play wise.

This makes it that its generally hard to move up and results outdoors in ww1 sort of fighting especially on the larger player servers. You will quickly be killed and probably never saw your killer until you dropped dead, and those that you pop off probably never saw you. You usually do not get any long range fire fights going.

In close quarter combat its somewhat the opposite. You can run very quickly and nearly instantly go to iron sight to shoot. Making it very advantageous to just continuously sprint instead of carefully clearing corners. And just popping people as you go. Together with that getting hit doesn't really effect you at all until you are truly dead.

My personal opinion is that outdoors fighting should get more people trying to cap and go for objectives instead of stay back and take pot shots from a dark corner. Although it is effectively realistic that people prefer to do that, it results ww1 style trench warfare that completely doesn't move forward.

While in close quarter combat people should be more careful and secure cutting the pie before entering. And I think that a lot of the contradictory comments on the games speed originate from the situation of it being long range or cqc.

In general while the maps in total size might be pretty big, the teams often spawn very close to each other (especially with the squad leader), and on 64 player servers there simply is no room to manoeuvre or out flank the enemy. The enemy is simply everywhere as is your team, and you just push the flanks up, which results in that maps hardly feel different as you can not exploit the terrain to your advantage its just push till you get downed.

I think RO2:HOS can be one of the greatest games ever made and a lot of the things needed are probably not more than changing some numbers in the config files. But at the moment how everything plays together just hasn't gotten "it". Initially I liked the additional speed to go to iron sight, but that is a first impression, and I think that a lot of RO2's settings are features are set so that as individual features they feel the best, but things just don't work together in the same magical way as in the mod or roost.

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry, but all I can say about Ramms post is, that I'm dissapointed.

If you read between the lines the message is the same like the previous post from Ramm that we are not more then just a minority, which nobody would listen to anyways ...

At least me I wonder why I should contribute with constructive criticism about RO2 when I feel that it is only wasted energy.

Americaner sums pretty much all issues up which keep me away from playing the RO2. Nothing to add.

Upvote 0
We've all enjoyed the game thus far. Its good, just needs a little polishing which I;m sure it will get over time.

One thing I can see that needs done is making the weapons limitations available on ranked servers. We have an admitted population problem at the moment, and folks wont play on unranked servers due to the ranking thing. Just the way it is .This needs to be a ranked server option.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

I understand your position vs the big arcades scum,with my respect,it is not excuse.Not the main theme here.battlefield or cod scums are not excuse also.

Do you Definitively launch the ball to the modders and SDK tool then? Talk clear man,you open this thread,talk us clear.Maybe for you and your "new players" the game is great,the old good days can ****off.

The arcade feeling in this game and the arcades "new players" are things i can

Upvote 0
I realise that you're playing from Oz, and that high ping servers maybe your only choice, but playing on servers with a ping over 250?, you're lucky if you hit anything at any distance,even if the server cpu isn't overloaded.

I play on US servers with a ping around 210 with some success. With a rifle at medium to long range it's fine. With a PPSh things get a bit iffy since I'm reacting to where someone was half a second ago. I find I get bayonetted a lot by charging/jinking riflemen.
At close quarters, someone with a Mkb seems to charge around the corner, go to iron sights and shoot me before I can fire my (already aiming down the iron sights) bolt-action at them. That gets a bit old, but I can't really complain about it since I'm playing with such a high ping.

I'm still usually in the top 4 or 5 players score-wise, since I'm usually getting killed/kills in the cap zones.

Much more than 250 gets a bit less rewarding though.

Upvote 0
I agree with Amerikaners' post as well as the post Mad Max made.

I feel as though Ramn has written off the RO1 vets and has made enemies of the realism community. I enjoy realism styled play as well as "relaxed" realism. However servers should not need to be un ranked to decrease the functionality of the game. It's as if the realism community is being punished because we don't want everyone in a server to have an SMG. I also can only hope that the lock down timer that Ramn is so in love with is tied to the map so it can be removed in modded maps.

When all is said and done, Ramn and TWI made the game they wanted. They made a money grab by making it more main stream. They delete threads and posts and make long time members of the forums disappear. (Lemon, bswearer). It's their game and their forums. However I can't help but feel that Ramn and company are sitting on a big pile of money flipping the bird to the RO1 players that have supported them for five or more years.

I really do hope that the mods can make something out of nothing, until that time I fear good numbers of players will remain inactive.

I may be part of the .01%, but I'm not sure I can support a developer that seems to forget so easily about the players.

Upvote 0
@ Amerikaner

dude you nailed that one, nice write up , I hope they will consider listening to you because devs were praising you when people were testing the ALPHA stage of the game and you were in it as well.

I remember devs posting some quotes from you about how you have postive opinion on how RO2 is shaping up, lets keep our fingers crossed that they will look into things from our perspective ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0