• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

About "RO2 Dying"

Well, It's been an amusing run for all the armchair publishers with real or imagined degrees in business admin, specializing in marketing. If there is that many experts out there betwixt the ages of 16 and 60, perhaps there is an untapped source of expertise for the business world to take advantage of someday.

Meantime; my group and many others are still pouring hundreds of dollars a month into server platforms supporting RO2. Ain't no shortage of 'em yet. Having a great time. Others can come join us when they've wearied of their "reaseach" efforts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You see it is a key difference in the strategy of Tripwire vs the EA's and the Activisions of the world. Their strategy is to spend a 100 million dollars in marketing to get everyone to buy the game day 1, then to nickel and dime you for the next year with overpriced DLC's. Tripwire's strategy is to market the game as well as we can for the launch (although we aren't yet big enough to spend 100 million dollars), and then provide continued value for our customers over the long term. It is this long term value that in the end will bring the player counts up just as we did with Killing Floor. It will bring new players in, and bring existing players back.

This is great from our end of things, but what does it get you guys? I mean in terms of the bottom line? Please believe me, I'm not being snide or sarky, I'm just curious to know if that is a viable alternative to what you describe EA and Activision doing.

Been enjoying playing the game since Beta, by the way.

Upvote 0
My question, and this is serious... Is why release the game in the condition it was, during this year at all?

Would it not have been better to wait till the new year to release Red Orchestra 2?

Especially once you take into account the close release window of BF3 and MW3. Thus allowing your company's product to reach market at a point with less saturation (Also taking into account that around the new year, people will have money to spend and be potentially tired of the simplistic gameplay of BF3 and MW3). And you would be able to deliver a better, higher quality product.

Reactions: UDM
Upvote 0
All my support to TWI , guys for the next release you need a lot more beta testing and done with "profesional" gamers ... a lot of us will pay with a smile in our face the game before his launch if we could help you with the betas lokking for bugs and problems ... you have to count more with the fellow community !!

About the decreasing players ... I think there are some factors involving , the buggier release , BF3 coming out ... but also the Halloween offers with a lot of players buying cheap games and playing it , and more important ... the lack of SDK and just a little bunch of maps ... when you have played 100 hours in the same maps during 1 month you usually gets bored and stop playing the game ...

This game needs more work and support ... I'm sure it can be the WWII FPS game ever and the most played .

Reactions: Makino and Goten
Upvote 0
I dont see any clear effect of BF3 when looking at the player amounts though. First there is a rock steady decline, then a patch released and the player amounts got a bump and went down with a slower decline. With a small spike every weekend. There is no clear jump around the 25th when bf3 was released although the slope of decreasing player amounts might have increased a bit.

http://steamgraph.burstpixel.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=q35450&jstime=1&from=1315803600000

I'm looking at the same graph you are, and I see the player counts pretty close to level and then a sharp decline starting on the day that BF3 is released.

Compare these two graphs:

The week before BF3's release, see that the peaks go up on the weekend, but are about the same day after day:

http://steamgraph.burstpixel.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=q35450&jstime=1&from=1318824000000&to=1319428800000

The week of BF3's release, see a sharp dive in the peaks:

http://steamgraph.burstpixel.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=q35450&jstime=1&from=1319428800000&to=1320033600000

Upvote 0
The CiC has spoken. Thx for the update
**The grumbling amoung the Troops has subsided for now. The small groups gathered have dissipated. The Soldiers are back to cleaning/polishing there firearms. The crazy talk about our General Officers being absent/undisciplined has disappeared. Laughter again can be heard in the distance around the camp fires. A distinctive lull has descended over the camp. All is well again

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I dont see any clear effect of BF3 when looking at the player amounts though. First there is a rock steady decline, then a patch released and the player amounts got a bump and went down with a slower decline. With a small spike every weekend. There is no clear jump around the 25th when bf3 was released although the slope of decreasing player amounts might have increased a bit.

http://steamgraph.burstpixel.net/index.php?action=graph&appid=q35450&jstime=1&from=1315803600000

Anyway for giggles player amounts for RO1 with gamespy + waybackmachine
16 October 2006 at 11:00 us time Roost had 1261 players
8 Jan 2007 at 18:38 us time Roost had 1609 players
May 17 2007 at 19:48 Roost had 1705 players
Aug 18 2007 at 23:19 Roost had 1407 players

Steam stats + waybackmachine
7 sept 2008 Roost had max 1097 players
11th of may 2009 Roost had max 1095 players

It's true.
I feel oil... Like massage oil... like someone is massaging an ego perhaps?

The game has been losing players since launch. they lost me and my friends since Beta. I appreciate you coming and talking about this ramm, and certainly clearing off a bunch of flaming... But unless you are telling me that the numbers weekS prior to BF3 launch are wrong and unless you can tell me that you are about to change core game mechanics of your game, ones I and each and every one of my clan members find completely unappealing, I (and my clan and sister clans) will not be giving you a population on your game. I will wait for Mods and someone else's hard work that was put forth for RO1 players.

I truly think you have every intention in listening to your community, Ramm, and I do think you will make changes. I just don't see a game studio going out of their way to make design changes to the entire rhythm and gameplay of thier work and contradicting the choices they made from the start.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I've lost a lot of trust in the team that made one of my all time favorite games and certainly my favorite shooter and then who goes and turns the direction completely on realism and gameplay with the sequel.

My question, and this is serious... Is why release the game in the condition it was, during this year at all?

Would it not have been better to wait till the new year to release Red Orchestra 2?

Especially once you take into account the close release window of BF3 and MW3. Thus allowing your company's product to reach market at a point with less saturation (Also taking into account that around the new year, people will have money to spend and be potentially tired of the simplistic gameplay of BF3 and MW3). And you would be able to deliver a better, higher quality product.
This has been my question as well. I feel that this game needed at least 4 more months of testing. put aside my views on the game and weather i like it... the game was and still is broken. a few days ago I was able to deploy my MG and run around the battlefield with it deployed to nothing.
If i were to release a product I would release things that do indeed work and then release things that are not right yet in a patch. things like Achievements which is an easy target for people to flame and a sure way to start off on a bad note with players.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the update, Ramm. Another question, were you able to reproduce the hit detection issue? It's the main reason I stopped playing RO2 :(

Are you able to reproduce this "hit detection issue"? If so, we will definitely look into it, but in every attempt we've made(as far as I'm aware) we are unable to reproduce this issue.

Upvote 0
Any thoughts of an upcoming free weekend or game sale?

It's better financially to be the first on the market. Their sales would have been less if they waited until AFTER bf3 and MW27. They really didn't have much of a choice. It was either release early and make enough money to sustain them for a long time and take a gamble on bugs and player population, or release later and make half the money and still not attract many players.

Not rocket science.

Upvote 0
Are you able to reproduce this "hit detection issue"? If so, we will definitely look into it, but in every attempt we've made(as far as I'm aware) we are unable to reproduce this issue.
I suspect the hit detection complaints aren't actually coming from the hit detection. Between the way the physics falls apart on overloaded servers and the way you have to aim far ahead in a completely unintuitive manner to hit someone moving around, even (especially) at close ranges, it's real easy to see "obvious" hits fail to hit, without the hit detection ever being at fault.

Upvote 0

I'm sorry but this is just so ridiculous. go play RO1 and compare close quarter hip shooting and close quarter iron sighting to that of RO2. With a bit of skill, players were able to hit someone with a mauser (Hip shots) from 6 feet away. Never mind the MP40 or PPSh. I have a harder time hitting someone from 6 feet away than i do from 60 feet with an MP40!! :(
It worries me because this is a scenario that happens to me ANY game i go into with my ping level (150ish) and I hear about this still from people who play and you lot aren't able to fix it? It seems to be rampant. It's turned melee into an OP counter to anyone being 15ft or less from you. This is one of the main reason i don't like playing either.

Now i don't know if it is due to actual hit detection or if it is something else but it makes for a pretty frustrating game and it needs to be fixed. considering all of the maps now have some element to them that is Danzig-Esque (IE Close quarter).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wow this all began by somebody who couldn`t go online by a fault
by himself and then writing the game is dead. After that people take this
point and are whining further.:mad:

I live in Holland and i tell you, i can play the whole day. There
are servers enough.:p

My opinion is that the admin of this forum must take measures to
avoid the waves of whines.:IS2:

Upvote 0