• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Where the players gone ?

The main things RO2 got wrong were weapon handling, class limits and fantasy weapon limits. The engine , player movement for the most part, cover system, and a whole bunch of other stuff is better in RO2. If you could put RO1 style gameplay into RO2 it would be so much better though imo.

No one would play RO1 with RO2 gameplay. The guns are too arcade style, and the maps are mostly linear and narrow. Not much room for tactics or having a mix of weapon types. The zoom encourages people to camp, even with smg's and semis. Semis and some SMG's do everything bolts do but better and they make up the majority of a team, and it makes for watered down gameplay imo

The game needs decent class limits or some difficulty factors to make semi's and smg's more realism style rather than arcade. I don't mind the game not having so many bolts as long as the semi's and smg's are satisfying to use

I'm sure people like the game as it is though, and I think even I could too. It shouldn't have been called RO2 though, or it should have had a RO1 style game mode

Upvote 0
I have always supported one RO1, and I don't see how RO2 is so much different from it's predecessor - it is in fact better. Maps may seem a bit smaller to you, but they are of the same size, if not bigger, it is just that you are not the clumsy robotic soldier anymore, but smooth moving soldier trying to dodge the bullets.

And I don't see how so many can glorify RO1, when there was one server per day that was active for the past year. It seems to me that in the mean time people gotten accustomed to whatever else is on the market, getting their *** served to them in RO2 on a regular basis, vaguely remembering the "good old days" of RO1 in the process.

Agreed. Loved RO1 but, for me, RO2 is simply easier and more fun to play. Yes, the bugs are annoying, although I've been reasonably fortunate and only suffered from poor FPS for a short while. But, the bugs will be fixed, and with heaps more content to be released, I think RO2 will simply get better and better.

Upvote 0
Say what you want about BF3, but at least that game is consistent in its genre. Unlike TWI, DICE didn't try to arrange a marriage between realism and arcade gamers, which evidently does not work. It may have worked if they added a realism mode, but they didn't.

Nimsky, what are you smoking? I want some.

It must be opposite day or something.

Reactions: aesdana and Nimsky
Upvote 0
Trying to appease Arcade player base in what way?

Which part of the RO1 veterans? Those saying that RO2 is more realistic or those saying that RO1 is... well, I have no idea right now (because RO1 veterans tend to contradict the other RO1 veterans)... a better game? More realistic game than RO2? If yes, in which way?

What did made RO1 a great game?

Opinion like opinion. I see many different opinions on these forums. Why this one should be more valid than the other? Be more specific.

1. Unlocks, A-historical loadouts (alot of autos and semi-autos), very quick sprint pace etc.

2. I should have been clearer on that, i didn't mean ALL RO1 vets.. but it is pretty apparant that quite a few of them is not happy with this game however many of them like RO2 aswell.

3. What made RO1 a great game? The only game i ever played that actually made me feel i was on a WW2 battlefield but that's my opinion.

Upvote 0
I'm sure once the bugs are thoroughly ironed out (especially the stat bugs which just irks a lot of people, not because their disposition to stat-whoring but the buggy unlocks not unlocking), people will migrate back.

especially when they realize BF3 ain't all that. no, really, played the beta, not seeing the hype.

Upvote 0
BF3 is like BC2 from the beta testing I've done. :/

Whatever happened to innovation and coming out with something fresh? We get the same rehashed games over and over.

At least RO2 did something to stand out in the community because it's gameplay isn't copying anything else. RO1 wasn't really that well known because it started off as a mod.

Reactions: Raquel
Upvote 0
So basically you are saying that we should be thankful for getting crumbs from the table?

Glass is half empty or the glass is half full. I wouldnt call it scraps, as BC2 while a console port, was rather well optimized at least for me.

Its like when your friend does you a favor, but it doesnt turn out as well as you hoped. You're not gonna get angry with your friend, considering he was not obligated.

BC2 is a good game, and I am glad it was released on PC, but please don't be saying that the company held the same direction from their start.

What have they done to prove otherwise?

I don't care what they said, BC2 on PC is official sequel to BF series. If TWI called RO2 just Heroes of Stalingrad, and said that real RO2 would come after 3 years, you would not be kissing their feet, would you?

BF1942 -> BF Vietnam -> BF2142 -> BF2 -> BF3
Bad Company (console only) ->Bad Company 2

Thats how it goes.

I dont kiss anyones feet, but i certainly would not have been as disappointed about HoS as i am now. I would play it and enjoy it on its own merits, knowing that a true sequel to Ost Front will arrive in due time.

Just as i had done with BC2

DICE is a console market company and looking from their stand point it is more profitable because on console you don't get hordes of gamers whining about something not working as they expected.

Oh please. Yeah lets just all buy games only from the 5 developers who are still PC exclusive. Consoles are big market, they want to tap into it.

Do not for an instant assume that TWI does not want to tap into that market as well. I GUARANTEE you had this game done better in terms of profits, not only would RO2 be ported to consoles, but RO3 would have likely gone multi-platform.

I'm sure TWI would have gone multi-plat now as well had they have had enough man power and the money to pay what assume would be expensive licensing fees to MS and Sony.

If we keep supporting such companies we can forget about PC dedicated features on PC platform. Goodbye modding tools, custom content, dedicated servers and hello cross-platform simplified gameplay, autoaiming console joystick players, whiny kids on the voicechat.

That is quite the slippery slope.

I am an avid and vocal supporter of mod tools, but only for games in which i can see the benifit for. We need mod tools for RO2, firstly so we can fix the game because TWI is incompetent, and also for the amzing mods.

The elder scroll series is mod tool worthy as well as ARMA.

Battlefield? Not so much. Sure we had some great mods for 1942, but was there anything note worthy on BF2 aside from Promod that only had like 3 full 64man servers?

I admire you for having principle though, more people need that. One of my rules are that i dont pay more than $50 for a PC game and i dont buy map packs. I will wait for BF to go on sale or find a good deal for it before i buy; nor will i buy any map packs they release

Upvote 0
We need mod tools for RO2, firstly so we can fix the game because TWI is incompetent

I think this is the point that sums up your feelings well. You seem to be an expert in Unreal engines so I imagine that you've done some work for it? If so, can we all see it?

The elder scroll series is mod tool worthy as well as ARMA.

Battlefield? Not so much. Sure we had some great mods for 1942, but was there anything note worthy on BF2 aside from Promod that only had like 3 full 64man servers?

Nope, BF2 didn't have any mods, not Project Reality or Forgotten Hope 2, both of which are total conversions that are being worked on even today. BTW, FH2 took last year's mod of the year award by moddb, but why should it matter to you.

Upvote 0
It's what I said from the beginning. The stats system is hex and blessing coevally. People that didn't want it stopped playing too - because if stats are in there, they want them to function properly. Then we have these stupid unlocks that make me think: Aren't firefight and countdown mode enough to "appeal to a wider fanbase". TWI should have added things for arcade gamers that don't touch the soul of the game like the vets wanted it to have. Now almost everybody is disappointed plus we have several performance issues that make the game unplayable for some.

Upvote 0
Honestly? The game is playable, but it so stupidly goofy that I don't understand. Ok, apart from the REAL bugs, like the sound dying after about an hour give or take of nonstop play, and some silly animations, the game still just, has terrible terrible gameplay.

The squad system is pointless. In my opinion. I don't even care what squad I am in. I remember in Battlefield 2, you really felt like you were part of a squad. This, not really. Leveling system. All I can say is lol. 41 hours and I am hero level on all but 3 classes. I am hero in classes I have not even played. The new weapons. The mkb and avt to me, just flat out make the game lame. Hey, you know, if they were there or not I am not going to debate, it never made any difference anyway, but they ruin an element of game play for me. Unlock system. So once you unlock something, you are forced to use it, even if you don't give a rat's ***. So your mkb gets a scope that is just awful. When you unlock the veteran rank for rifleman, the enemies rifle becomes the default.

I could go on , and point out other things that I am sure have already been mentioned, but I don't really care that much. I am just complaining because I had alot higher expectations for this game. Hey, you know, if it all gets patched and working fine, then I will be really excited to see how things work then, but right now, before those patches, it is just yuck. I can't see myself getting into the game like I did RO Ost.

So where have the players gone? Maybe to another game, or to wait until this one gets fixed. I went and played the BF3 beta, and it looks pretty fun. Perhaps some are there.

Upvote 0