• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hey Ramm-Jaeger what happened to hero status & MkB42H/AVT40 being rare weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Field Marshall Rommel has more credibility than any of the fanboys here.

And you're implying that other forum users have less credibility because of what reason?

I've played RO1, otherwise I wouldn't feel entitled to comment on it, and I wouldn't. I'm fairly sure that my opinion and those of others are entirely valid, and more importantly, equal when compared to Mr Rommel's.

And companies DO hire and practice PR on forums. You would be blind to not see that.

And people are insidious for the sake of being so. But I highly doubt that TWI employs people to log into the forums and (often baselessly and offensively) attack them and their customers.

If you were to remove all the people who blindly support TWI, and those who blindly hate on them, then we'd be in exactly the same position we're in now. I commented on what Rommel said not because I don't believe it's possible that PR like that occurs, but because of the nature of his post in general.

It's important to remember that many here are of the opinion that the unrealistic limitations in RO1 often artificially changed the gameplay for the better.

I entirely understand that, and I respect their viewpoint. That isn't the issue, nor is it where I base my contention. I have an issue that they continually refer to the RO1 style as "realism". It is a trememdous misnomer.

Wally

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Call Of Red Orchestra - YouTube

I run every day the speed in Ro2 is unrealistic. Just look at how the troops run.. Swinging the left arm up and down while holding a gun, then gets in position to shoot in half a second after sprinting, Reloads in 2 seconds while standing, gets shot and is unaffected and bandages in less than 2 seconds. Some of you are confusing human speed for the flash's speed. No momentum at all. The Ro1 speed while not perfect, it made most players play realistically/tactically.

Upvote 0
There is a small cadre of folks on this forum that seem to just spew bile in almost every post. If you don't like the game why are you on the forums constantly? I just don't get it.. Maybe they think constant complaining gets them what they want?

Haha, someone said fans of the game might be paid shills for Tripwire. Maybe the negative nancy folks are paid shill for other companies committing industrial warfare by bad mouthing the competitor. :eek:

Upvote 0
It's not about "it can't be done" or "lol it's superhard", it's simply that in order to pull it off succesfully without dying all the time requires more experience and possibly skill how certain things work instead of going ramming speed chaerg-crazy like you would go in UT2k4 or [insert virtually any other game here] and realise the universal ramming speed chaerg- gameplay works in almost any game.

It was not never missing from RO1 but the people doing it usually knows their hipshooting skills. You don't need those in RO2 for fairly obvious reasons, thus it's far more accessible regardless of your in-game experience with the game.

Except that the running speed in RO2 is realistic as opposed to Ost which is not. You're implying that hipshooting is somehow more skillful than 'running in gunning' with quick sight picture acquisitions. So you are actually upset that the necessity for 'hipshooting skills' has disappeared, even though such necessity was the result of removing unrealistic recoil. I guess TWI can't please anyone.

Wow really are we watching the same video, it sounds like your reality is different than what your watching? In the ost video he went behind cover then shot, he used grenades, he was attacking a objective with his whole team, he didnt bandage himself in battle and many were armed with rifles. Also I bet the guy in the Ost video played the game a lot because the ppsh is not the easiest gun to shoot in Ost with its crazy recoil it took a while to get good with it and

Half of your complaints have to do with weapon loadouts, which I agree with. Him using the PPSH effectively (or requiring skill to control the recoil) is the result overcoming unrealistic recoil. So what do you want? Realism or your niche Ost shooter?

no in RO2 it doesnt require skill any cod player can do that, its just point and shoot. Which is realistic but not at the speed its done in RO2
So let me understand this. Bringing up the sights of a weapon and using them to shoot an enemy is unrealistic? As opposed to the hipshooting and slow speed of Ost? Uh, what am I reading here? Ost has it's fair share of unrealistic aiming speeds, especially when it comes to pop-up riflemen.

At a noticably slower pace.

And an unrealistic one at that.

Look at the videos again. In the RO I video the PPSH player is moving at the speed of a geriatric man (slight exaggeration) whereas in the RO II video the MKB player is rocketing around at DOD:s speeds. Good idea. Why don't you put up an RO I sniper video vs the one from RO II?

The player in RO2 is running at realistic running speeds. What is your problem here? The sniper videos don't show anything. There was nothing game-breaking shown in them. Just some decent shots.

And the running speed in ROII is super fantastically unrealistic.

No, it is not. It has already been shown using a stopwatch and using the tactical menu to gauge distance by someone else in this thread.

Deniers will deny. You know what? Who else thinks that there are multiple dev pseudo accounts on these forums for the sole purpose of praising/worshipping mediocre RO II at all costs and trolling/insulting/flaming/attempting to discredit anyone who even thinks of disagreeing?.

Now I'm a member of TWI because I disagree with you? Sorry to disappoint buddy. I've been playing RO since it was a mod for UT2003. Take your drivel elsewhere.

Field Marshall Rommel has more credibility than any of the fanboys here.

So he has more credibility why exactly? And I'm a fanboy? :rolleyes:

Some of you guys are absolutely delusional. You can host your own Ost servers and go on and on about the fantasy realism you guys got used to and are subsequently *****ing about being gone. RO2 has its fair share of problems, but most of you are attacking it for all the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like how realism is used when it makes the game easier or to play like a generic FPS, but completely ignored when it might make the game more difficult or require some skill or thought from the player.

They reduce recoil, sway, make iron sights faster, put levels in so the more you play the more your stats are artificially boosted, put smg's and semi's all over the place etc. But they also make you stop instantly while sprinting and bring up aligned iron sights with zero sway, all in the blink of an eye with 1 key press. Hold your breath after sprinting for zero sway. Even without holding the button you get hardly any movement from any stance. Rare weapons more common than Bolt action rifles. Rare item unlocks. Easy mode gun control. No wound effects. Sprint all day

I care more for gameplay than realism, but RO2 is like a mishmash of the worst elements of both. The gameplay is too generic and consolish and the realism is only there when it can support that gameplay shift

I exaggerate to make the point, but thats my overall feeling on the issue

Upvote 0
Except that the running speed in RO2 is realistic as opposed to Ost which is not. You're implying that hipshooting is somehow more skillful than 'running in gunning' with quick sight picture acquisitions. So you are actually upset that the necessity for 'hipshooting skills' has disappeared, even though such necessity was the result of removing unrealistic recoil. I guess TWI can't please anyone.

Nice leaps to conclusions there, unfortunately I must rain on your parade and inform that simply is observation based on the consideration of feature and functionality of the said feature rather than any personal "I have rose tinted goggles and I want to act like a retard on forums"- kind of behaviour. If hipshooting would not exist in RO2 it would not make a major difference in the entire gameplay. Also on further note I do like most of the basic changes in RO2 that makes stuff less clunkier but streamlining things at the expense of making other things relatively irrelevant especially when used in the name of "realism" is questionable at best.

Upvote 0
Actually both games have unrealistic ammo loadouts. I don't understand why they can't ever have full ammo pouches. :confused::confused:

I agree that sometimes people should spawn with "full ammo pouches", but I don't think it would be realistic for all solders to 100% of the time be at full capacity. It might've been days since their last resupply.

p.s. I'd love for players to have 1 grenade. Sometimes 2.
p.s.s. No resupply of smoke from ammo depot??
p.s.s.s. The Panzer4 can just sit on the Ammo depot on Commisar's and be nearly invulnerable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like how realism is used when it makes the game easier or to play like a generic FPS, but completely ignored when it might make the game more difficult or require some skill or thought from the player.

They reduce recoil, sway, make iron sights faster, put levels in so the more you play the more your stats are artificially boosted, put smg's and semi's all over the place etc. But they also make you stop instantly while sprinting and bring up aligned iron sights with zero sway, all in the blink of an eye with 1 key press. Hold your breath after sprinting for zero sway. Even without holding the button you get hardly any movement from any stance. Rare weapons more common than Bolt action rifles. Rare item unlocks. Easy mode gun control. No wound effects. Sprint all day

I care more for gameplay than realism, but RO2 is like a mishmash of the worst elements of both. The gameplay is too generic and consolish and the realism is only there when it can support that gameplay shift

I exaggerate to make the point, but thats my overall feeling on the issue

This! +1

Upvote 0
Well you are entitled to your opinion of course, but given the actual data and not opinion that I gave you showing that RO2 is the most popular game Tripwire have ever released in regards to player counts I'll have to disagree :) And there is always some other game around the corner - how many COD and BF games came and went and were never able to kill RO1. When you offer players something unique that they can't get anywhere else, there is always a market.

Lets play a little game.

In your own words, RO1 must have had something unique that aided greatly in its longevity.

I think we only need look at one thing from Ost.

" I bought/liked Ostfront because it had brutal, over the top hard combat that was very rewarding if you had the patients to learn the game"

Take that sentence there, now lets try replacing the underlined bit with the name of any other FPS and see if the sentence is still true. The only one that comes to mind at all ( retail games ) would be ARMA, which is in a totally different ballpark. So yes, Ost has by that sentence alone, one truly unique feature. Whether players like it or not, thats not what I'm getting at, the point is that feature is unique.

Now, lets transition to HOS and play the same game.

" I play/lile/bought HOS because..."

-stats system ? nope thats been done

-high damage weapons ? HC mode elsewhere, even from what I've seen in cod blops the HC Barebones mode offers high damage weaponry.

- realism/authenticity? trolololol more mkb's then rifles, what a joke, And I can whip that >5 foot long mosin up to my shoulder and bang off a 100M kill shot in under a second.

- Brutal combat? Hos is too forgiving on many accounts for it to be considered brutal. Its better then others, but as is its more like a different flavour of lemonade in a world of lemonades instead of ice tea.

- great graphics ? IMO it is not worth striving for the uberest GFX because it is a short lived and hard achieved title. Hos has nice GFX but nothing to call Crytek about.

- Tank armour / penetration system ? When this is fixed it will be a unique features of HOS, because games like WOT, and WW2 OL are in again in different ballparks.

-Also these two ( 3d vehicle interiors for tanks , Feel of the weapons ) are two more unique features of the game.

Pausing for a moment, are any of the truly unique features of HOS enough to differentiate it? Two of them are tank related, and the last one is tained by some of the weapon mechanics that destroy the feeling of carrying a gun. Ost's crowning 'unique' feature smacked you every time you played the game, unless you were playing tanks, which would be Ost's second main unique feature. I feel that Hos doesnt have enough truly unique features to it to make players consistently come back, lots of the bits of HOS can be had elsewhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be honest I find it kind of offensive that they claimed to have done their homework. I've fired a PPSH and it's recoil isn't very big and it's also quite smooth (as opposed to the very stuttery recoil it has in game) , also it's much faster than in this game. Overall I am 99.9% certain that no one among the devs ever fired the gun. COD 1 had a far better representation of it (probably because they did actually go out to the range to try it )
Also it's annoying as hell that you have to unlock 2 features that every PPSH had by default - drum mags and fire selector. I DONT WANT TO UNLOCK THAT **** ok? Just give it to me.

Reactions: Xienen
Upvote 0
To be honest I find it kind of offensive that they claimed to have done their homework. I've fired a PPSH and it's recoil isn't very big and it's also quite smooth (as opposed to the very stuttery recoil it has in game) , also it's much faster than in this game. Overall I am 99.9% certain that no one among the devs ever fired the gun. COD 1 had a far better representation of it (probably because they did actually go out to the range to try it )
Also it's annoying as hell that you have to unlock 2 features that every PPSH had by default - drum mags and fire selector. I DONT WANT TO UNLOCK THAT **** ok? Just give it to me.

What Tripwire has done was they looked at the MP40 and said: "Durr, well this gun has 32 bullets so we'll give the PPSH 32 bullets to balance it!!"

And then they said: "Hurp, the PPSH has an unlockable 72(?) round drum-mag so we'll give the MP40 a experimental 72-round duel-mag to balance it out!"

What you end up with is a MP40 which is based out of fantasy and a PPSH which has been nerfed to pieces. Out-of-the-box the MP40 performs as it should but the PPSH is dumbed down.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.