• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hey Ramm-Jaeger what happened to hero status & MkB42H/AVT40 being rare weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I should add here one of the other new introduction annoyances in RO2. Make running shot on enemy, they dont die, turn and fire once and kill you, then bandage and keep on going.
Let's keep this thread on topic why don't we? ;) Let's keep the conversation focused on rare weapons and role ratios in the game please -- I don't want this to turn into a whine-and-*****-about-everything thread that gets locked.

Upvote 0
Well you are entitled to your opinion of course, but given the actual data and not opinion that I gave you showing that RO2 is the most popular game Tripwire have ever released in regards to player counts I'll have to disagree :) And there is always some other game around the corner - how many COD and BF games came and went and were never able to kill RO1. When you offer players something unique that they can't get anywhere else, there is always a market.

Yes on release day. Now more people play dods and even killing floor past peak times.

That's what happens when you hype a game and don't deliver. I don't see how you can disagree with playercounts there right there for everyone to see.

I would not be as frustrated with this game if it werent for these arrogant responses from the devs...

Upvote 0
Ok, firstly: I have created an account on this forum to comment on this topic, and say: this is NOT the game I was expecting. I am one of those people who have stopped playing- not because I have gone off to play COD or BF3 (though I have played BF3 beta), but because I could no longer stand playing the game. I have been checking these forums regularly waiting for the patch which I felt was inevitable to deal with the gameplay issues, only to find it is not in the pipeline.
I would also like to say that whilst the forum population may only be a tiny fraction of the overall player base, it is probably also fairly representative of said base.
To wrap up I must confess that I am bitterly disappointed in this game, mainly as I expected so much from RO1 and the trailer videos. However instead of the tactical shooter I was led to expect, I now possess a game that feels like it has attempted (and failed) to be a Battlefield game. There is so much awesome detail in this game- the DP28 mg mag, the tank modelling and I could go on. But the gameplay balance is shot to hell, and it is a major frustration to have this game so near to being brilliant, but flawed in this manner.

/agreed

and with the STFU and deal with you are the minority attitude from certain devs, i dont think ill buy another TWI game

Upvote 0
Let's keep this thread on topic why don't we? ;) Let's keep the conversation focused on rare weapons and role ratios in the game please -- I don't want this to turn into a whine-and-*****-about-everything thread that gets locked.

Earlier Ramm had mentioned his wonderings on why some of the old guard were fed up to the nostrils with Hos, thats what my response was aimed at. But by all means lets direct this back towards the mkb42H.

Upvote 0
Oooh, PROMISE? I don't wanna disappoint the kids after I gather them 'round the monitor with popcorn and frosty chocolate milkshakes! :rolleyes:

What exactly is your problem?

/agreed

and with the STFU and deal with you are the minority attitude from certain devs, i dont think ill buy another TWI game

Where has this attitude been displayed specifically? And what attitude is being shown as the minority? There might be general consensus that people are unhappy with the game in the present state here on the forum, but as for how to fix it, opinions vary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't understand where all of the sheer animosity is coming from. I wasn't aware that the forums were on fire until someone casually mentioned it in a server a few days ago. Tripwire made a mistake upon release and are trying to fix it. I'm getting real sick of reading the patronizing attitudes here. There is also a lot of rose-tinted shades going on as well. A lot of RO1 absolutely sucked--RO2 fixed some of the gamey-ness issues (dive shooting, pop rifleman, lack of penetration, etc). I'll respond more when I get the chance.

What exactly is your problem?

Where has this attitude been displayed specifically? And what attitude is being shown as the minority?

Mostly a joke, but honestly ... you just said you weren't aware of what's been going on in the forums. This thread has been here for a LONG TIME and has hundreds of posts, and thousands of hits! READ through this thread ENTIRELY, John Gibson's responses (this thread & elsewhere), the links to the PROMISES made by devs (Alan), etc., THEN criticize posters if you choose to disagree, but for Pete's sake, your 2nd quoted post makes entirely clear that you haven't read enough to gain enough information to fairly spew venom against critical posters. You can't just expect to come in, read the critical posts after becoming only semi-informed, and start spewing venom when it's pretty obvious you haven't armed yourself with enough information to do so fairly. You're basically coming in here from nowhere into the middle of an argument you know little to nothing about, chastising the participants like children, and demanding that everyone inform you, specifically, of everything that has transpired. I almost feel as if I'm gonna be grounded if'n I don't put together a full report for your inspection.

So, when you ended your condescending verbal spanking by saying, "Ill respond more when I get the chance," well, you kind of opened the door to an "oooh, I can't wait" reply, and being in a bit of a nasty mood, I accepted your invitation. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 11_HARLEY_11
Upvote 0
First off, regarding my whereabouts and people saying "Ramm hasn't logged in to the forums for a week". I was on a well deserved vacation. And a lot of devs have been cycling through vacation starting last week. The dev team pulled a 6-8 month death march to get the game out. Some people (myself included) worked 12+ hour days for 6 months without a day off to get the game shipped. So we all sure as hell deserved a few days off. So unless you want mindless half asleep zombies doing bug fixes, updates, and new content for RO2, I highly suggest you stop harassing devs for getting some well needed rest :)

As Jared has said regarding the weapon loadouts, we changed our mind during the course of the development. The original way that we were planning to do it wasn't looking like it was going to fit in as well as we'd like. So we implemented it a different way. Given that Ostfront used STG44's in a similar amount (or more) I'm quite surprised at the outcry. There weren't any 100 page threads in Ostfront with tons of people in an uproar over having "too many assault rifles" in Danzig and similar maps. We designed RO2 with pretty close to the same realism measures that we did in RO1. We've always had some odd weapons in the game, and we've always done things where we abstracted functionality to make it fun to play. The question we always asked was "can this weapon have possibly been there". If the answer was yes, it was fair game to put it in there. Remember the PPD40 and the MP41? They were rare weapons, but were featured in almost every map. And yet there was almost never a mention of the PPD40, and just only a slight murmur over the use of the MP41.

Of course what is really funny is the cries of "RO2 is already dying", "look at the Steam stats, the player counts have dropped off". This is really funny for a few reasons. First off, it is the natural cycle of EVERY game to have a big peak around launch, and then the player counts taper off until they stabilize. Where was RO1 at this point after launch - about 1000-1200 players at peak. Where was Killing Floor at this point - less than 3,000 players at peak. So for RO2 to be at 3,000 players a few weeks after launch, with 10% less of a drop off than Killing Floor and 3x what RO1 had - I'd call that a good thing. KF actually dropped off down to 800-1000 a couple months after launch before the TWI free content cycle kicked in. After that the player counts climbed and never went back down to the same place after the updates. This summer KF was averaging peaks of 4000-5000 players. And of course right now EVERY game on Steam has taken a player count hit while everyone checks out the BF3 beta. So before everyone starts shouting "look RO2 is dying" you need to realize this is just part of the normal life cycle of the game.

We'll do the same thing we always do, grab a good core group of players at the outset. Then continue to build on that core group of players by supporting the game, adding free content, doing Steam promotions, etc. See it is a long cycle plan - not like the big publishers that spend a $100 million on marketing to get everyone to jump into the game at launch then burn them a year later with releasing next years version of the same game (or burn them every two months with $15 2 map DLC). Every game for us is a long term thing.

So in summary, I would like to ask you guys, especially you guys that have been around for a long time to try and be civil. We're never going to please EVERYONE, but polite, well thought out suggestions are a lot more likely to get our attention than flaming and dev bashing. If there are changes people want we'll look into them. But you're not going to get them "tommorow", so have some patience :)

Aight then, Hows this. Because I will do my very best to be nice.

It is common in the business world to put an automatic response on your email when going away for more then a few days, and no we on the forums here do not need to know or should we know your exact whereabouts and current activity. However next time it would be nice if any of the TWI devs posting here could have dropped the line "He is unavailable for two weeks", isntead of just saying that we will have to wait for your response as if you were at the office and just did not feel up to it.
( Or even put a note in your signature )

This is only one of many manifestations of a lack of communication between the general forum and the developers, much of this post is people who are mad because of a lack of communication. I hope in the future large and important things can be mentioned here, especially when we have been promised something contradictory.

@ the ppd and mp41, these were for all intents and purposes just re skins of available weapons, to be used if you liked the look or perhaps slightly slower ROF of the ppd.
@44vs42
As an expansion on what I iterated earlier. Ost had a lot more recoil and sway on all guns, I would consider something like the STG44 to be more of a carbine rifle that can fire full auto in CQB then the assault rifle it is in HOS. It had decent enough kick so that well aimed shots ( atleast for me ) would take one to two seconds a peice. At that point the only difference between the stg44 and a bolt is that the rifleman must work the bolt while recovering from the recoil and then aim again.
Contrast that to the 42 in Hos and there is a world of difference. On auto mode the 42 can drop two rounds into a tight group at 50 M, tight enough to place both on the targets head. There is now no real sway to speak of to slow down the overall firing rate of the 42, and not enough recoil to mean that it has to take some time to re acquire target. Most of these features are probably more realistic in Hos then they were in Ost, the weapon is light(less sway), the round is lighter(less kick), etc. However were there to be some franken Orchestra made to compare the stg44 exactly as it was and the mkb42 exactly as it is in game one team of one rifle versus the other, I would bet money every time on the mkb42H. With all of the updates it is atleast two to three times the gun that the STG was in Ostfront.

As a gun collector I dont give two ****s and a wooden nickle about rare guns being in the game because they are cool to use, however I have hard time believing you did not notice the difference in potency of those two guns.

Try as hard as you might though, I think you arent grabbing that core group of players hard enough. There have been many who wrote some harsh reviews about Hos trying to straddle a fence and knackering its nuts on the fence and I feel this is very true.
Grabbing the old Ost Crowd? Sure the moment this bucket list gets added
- proper weapon count per team
- players aim and movement to be effected by injury from weaponsfire
- protected areas tweaked or removed
- Lockdown timer disabled while capping, or while attackers have greater reinfs then defenders ( think attrition )
- instant IS
- bleed out effect
- Stamina to effect weapon handling

On the other hand are we really grabbing that COD crowd ? Sure perhaps after we do things like remove the weapon float so that they can center screen, fix the stats so they can snipe for KDR points all day long, etc.

I like much of what has been done with HOS, I am not advocating a return to clunky controls but I think some of the key elements of Ost, namely the brutality have been removed unwisely. Dieng in ost was always such a shock , going from fighting to sudding pitch black and perhaps hearing a scream. It smacked you ever time and told you "war is hell!", none of this soft fade to black. Also the gritty somewhat slower paced gameplay made teamwork amongst pub players easier to co-ordinate, and lended itself towards a more organized fight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I honestly don't think the MKb42 needs any sort of "nerf", as it should be very capable. In fact I'd agree with one guy who said the recoil should probably be a bit more linear. For typical combat ranges, the assault rifle was an ideal compromise between a rifle and SMG, and HOS does a great job of representing that. The problem is the numbers we see of this very rare predecessor to the STG44.

In some cases German weapons were better than the Soviet counterparts and they shouldn't be nerfed to represent that. The Soviets should have their own advantages (3:1 SVT to G41 ratio, PPSH with 71 round drum)

Upvote 0
Obviously there is an issue with the abundance of the MkB42H, G41, SVT-40 and the AVT-40; they shouldn't be available in the number that they are. Bolt actions aren't nearly as well to begin with. They are not as forgiving or versatile as the semiautomatics (or automatics in the case of the AVT and 42H) nor are they as flexible.
Perhaps forcing squad leaders to unlock semi autos should help a bit, give em a bolt and smg on newbie lvls.
Bolts have a few minor advantages over SMGs, but none over semi auto rifles. As it is now, at least on Spartanovka, it feels like the standard issue & most produced Ruskie rifle in WW2 was the SVT (+AVT).

Reactions: Nikita
Upvote 0
Perhaps forcing squad leaders to unlock semi autos should help a bit, give em a bolt and smg on newbie lvls.
Bolts have a few minor advantages over SMGs, but none over semi auto rifles. As it is now, at least on Spartanovka, it feels like the standard issue & most produced Ruskie rifle in WW2 was the SVT (+AVT).
Ofcourse.
Lets not forget the insane abundance of the SVT and AVT.

Upvote 0
For those who haven't seen it.

MKBTroll.png

Upvote 0
I've thought about it an really the only way to make the game feel realistic an to make Bolt users more relevant will be to further reduce the numbers of the semi auto's an AR's like others are saying.

Probably along the lines of having one Hero slot like the original plan that uses the AR's. If not that then Elite Assault with 2 slots or so.

An then Squad leaders I think need to have Bolt Rifles. Maybe unlock SMG at higher level.

Because right now just doing the math more of a 32 player team is using auto's or semi's than bolts.

Upvote 0
Calm down guys :)

Tripwire has already stated that a server option to make Prototype weapons Heroes only or even completely disabled is on the way...eventually.

Also, Yoshiro said that Infantry maps are supposed to have only 4 Assault slots for German team for 64 person server.

When stats are reset there will also be less MKB. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm in agreement with the people who say that there are way too many semi-autos and prototype weapons. One way to fix it (presumably for the realistic mode) is forcing people to fill squads successively rather than only picking roles. The other is obviously just limiting these weapons more severely. I like the game, but it is definitely a lot rougher around the edges than I expected for the delays. I also like the idea of a realism and standard mode to appease a more 'hardcore' and general audience respectively. But currently I feel there need to be more changes to differentiate the realism mode more.

(Sorry if this has been said before.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Calm down guys :)

Tripwire has already stated that a server option to make Prototype weapons Heroes only or even completely disabled is on the way...eventually.

Also, Yoshiro said that Infantry maps are supposed to have only 4 Assault slots for German team for 64 person server.

When stats are reset there will also be less MKB. :)

less mkb's? ok a fraction less, all the DDE will still have them.

Just realizing now that the servers with 64 players should only have 4 instead of 6 is somewhat confusing. It's blatant and they also looked over how many each team had when they removed the mkb from other slots on the german team. seems almost too convient to do that now and say its just been noticed. Meh * tin foil hat off *.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.