• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hey Ramm-Jaeger what happened to hero status & MkB42H/AVT40 being rare weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry this just dosen't make sense. It will pigeon hole you how? By not forcing all servers to have the settings you prefer? It will limit your ability to play how? Because you will refuse to play on any server that dosen't have the exact # of automatics that you prefer? Most of the servers are run by people who played ro1. I'm sure lots of them will limit weapons.

Numbers. These are OPTIONS, not the standard game. It's like trying to play hardcore on Black Ops. You play on the same servers, against the same people, over and over, especially since you have to pick a server under 100 ping. As it is right now (no, I am NOT exaggerating), either there's a few, full servers showing at any given time along with extremely underpopulated ones (under 100 ping), or maybe there's a couple (and I MEAN a couple!) with about 10 players per side. Now, you start dividing it up between epic/no epic/limited auto/etc.

So please, to have a different opinion is one thing. Don't tell me "this just doesn't make sense!" It's simple math, let's not be disingenuous and condescending, ok?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Numbers. These are OPTIONS, not the standard game. It's like trying to play hardcore on Black Ops. You play on the same servers, against the same people, over and over, especially since you have to pick a server under 100 ping. As it is right now (no, I am NOT exaggerating), either there's a few, full servers showing at any given time along with extremely underpopulated ones (under 100 ping), or maybe there's a couple (and I MEAN a couple!) with about 10 players per side. Now, you start dividing it up between epic/no epic/limited auto/etc.

So please, to have a different opinion is one thing. Don't tell me "this just doesn't make sense!" It's simple math, let's not be disingenuous and condescending, ok?

If every server can set its own weapon limits, how does it matter that its technically not the "default"? Again, I don't see what your issue is beyond the fact that you are unhappy that some servers will not have your desired weapon selection. Its not that terrible a fate to look at the server list and say "Oh, all the servers with 2mkb/avt per side are full, I guess I'll have to play on the server with 3 per side." And frankly, if twi forced a new 'default' on everyone it might not be what you want either and then you wouldn't have the option at all.

Upvote 0
That would be great Leo! Please do so!

Oh and my girl-friend can do PR for them, she's got a master in media com and looking for a job atm.
Interested TWI? PM me!

I would but considering how time consuming it is to mod the u3 engine, it doesnt seem worth it, especially by myself. Also everyone would have to redownload each map. I was joking more than being serious. Modding mh/hoi3 has always been more fun solo, but back on topic..

Considering how Ramm's answer stated no eta on a fix and sdk will be the only fix means im gonna move on, ill come back once the issue is fixed. Also in reply to ramm RO1 stayed alive for a long time because of the "realism freaks" like me, and most of us got ourselves and friends exited for ro2 expecting a realistic game and the result was just too arcady(easy), and not realistic. I understand the teams approach to be more mainstream but a good realism mode could of kept most old fans happy or atleast a eta on one. Or even a mode with realistic load outs would of been good enough for many of us.

Upvote 0
I dont think adding more options is the way to go about it.

realism (lol) and relaxed modes have already split the player base into 2 parts; i dont play relaxed, and instead seek out realism servers.

However, it seems almost everyone plays relaxed, so i end up having access to about 1-2 good realism servers at any one time as opposed to 50 relaxed servers.

Adding in an option to limit weapons or run an "authentic" mode, would divide the already split community into more splinter groups. Then i will only be able to find 1 realism server and 5 relaxed servers to my liking.

Options are good, but not when they split a community so severely; in this case, realism vs casual.

Upvote 0

realism (lol) and relaxed modes have already split the player base into 2 parts; i dont play relaxed, and instead seek out realism servers.

However, it seems almost everyone plays relaxed, so i end up having access to about 1-2 good realism servers at any one time as opposed to 50 relaxed servers.

Adding in an option to limit weapons or run an "authentic" mode, would divide the already split community into more splinter groups. Then i will only be able to find 1 realism server and 5 relaxed servers to my liking.

Options are good, but not when they split a community so severely; in this case, realism vs casual.

As much as I love Vanilla in most games and hope and pray that RO2 will still have vanilla servers with players on them, part of PC gaming is giving options to the people. It's about mods and variety and freedom. This is one reason TW is getting so much praise in this time of every game being a console port with very little mod support.
Valve and Tripwire are just about the only devs still making FPS that give power to the gamer.

Upvote 0

Yeah I have the same 100 ping problem. I'm hoping it's just due to latency issues and optimization that TWI has to tinker with...

Anyway, Ramm responded to my super short and kinda flippant post a page back, and he was flippant back, which is fun to me :). Look I know TWI has a bunch of stuff on their plate and they are working on the game. Maybe once they are actually able to PLAY the game enough and sink their teeth into it in its patched/full server state, they could die enough by the MKB to think twice about their decisions ;).

I'm satisfied with my purchase overall, especially with all the future content, fixes, etc. on the way. I'll reserve my final judgment for a year or so I think.

Upvote 0
And there is always some other game around the corner - how many COD and BF games came and went and were never able to kill RO1. When you offer players something unique that they can't get anywhere else, there is always a market.

RO1 plays different than stuff like BF and other casual games, BF3 and RO2 didnt kill Project Reality for the same reason. You had to think how you approach each corner and where you go in RO1, look for places to rest ur weapon, and overall it felt like WW2 instead of some elite units testing prototypes.
RO2 however plays almost the same as.. BC2/BF3 in HC or FH2, be it tunnel maps, or gameplay that can be summed up in W+shift->LMB if ur part of the full/semi auto majority, so they sorta compete on the casual gamer that doesnt kno too much about WW2 or/and doesnt look for a "thinking man's" shooter.

ALL the PR clannies and friends of mine that bought RO havent touched it for over a week, now were playing BF3 for our casual fix and PR for the realisticool.
Yes that is exactly what all of these posts said :rolleyes:
So tired of buying games that last less than 2 weeks with the excuse of "you haz mod toolz, finish the game/make it what it was advertised as for us".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah I have the same 100 ping problem. I'm hoping it's just due to latency issues and optimization that TWI has to tinker with...

Anyway, Ramm responded to my super short and kinda flippant post a page back, and he was flippant back, which is fun to me :). Look I know TWI has a bunch of stuff on their plate and they are working on the game. Maybe once they are actually able to PLAY the game enough and sink their teeth into it in its patched/full server state, they could die enough by the MKB to think twice about their decisions ;).

I'm satisfied with my purchase overall, especially with all the future content, fixes, etc. on the way. I'll reserve my final judgment for a year or so I think.

pff i wish it was 100 ping, mines usually at 140-300.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry this just dosen't make sense. It will pigeon hole you how? By not forcing all servers to have the settings you prefer? It will limit your ability to play how? Because you will refuse to play on any server that dosen't have the exact # of automatics that you prefer? Most of the servers are run by people who played ro1. I'm sure lots of them will limit weapons.

RO2 comes out of the box with two modes: relaxed realism and realistic. AS of now, "realistic" is nearly the same as relaxed realism save some minor HUD changes and lack of pistols for everyone.

Preserve the current weapon loudout for relaxed realism and include historically accurate weapon loadouts in the realistic game setting and everyone's happy. People who want to play with MKB 42s, etc. can play on relaxed realism servers and people who want a more realistic and historically accurate experience play on realism servers.

I doesn't make sense to me that people who want a realistic experience have to rely on some obscure combination of servers setting, mods or mutators when the vanilla game includes a game setting to accommodate those players.

Upvote 0
No matter the reason they sure dropped the ball on this one. I used to rotate between allies and axis but now I find myself picking only allies just to try and stop the tide of supposedly super rare weapons. Even then it's not that fun. I just came back from 2 rounds on Grain elevator where a vast majority were running around with mkb's. I've never gotten so many kills on grain before (almost 50, most with ppsh and some with maxim) and it wasn't so much skill from my part, just that the game has changed drastically and everyone just rambo's now. I used to take pride in my kills but now it just felt hollow. It just doesn't feel like RO any more and I'll probably give the game a rest and play something else until the modders come to our rescue.

I agree, although the game is not totally lost still quite fun but lacks a certain gap from the noobs to the pros. In RO being leet could get you killing imense amounts of ppl before you got killed, RO2 you get shot for sticking your head out for half a second by the noobest player on the server just seems more like a cod game then RO.

Upvote 0
Given that Ostfront used STG44's in a similar amount (or more) I'm quite surprised at the outcry. There weren't any 100 page threads in Ostfront with tons of people in an uproar over having "too many assault rifles" in Danzig and similar maps.

The difference is simple:

1. In RO1 / DH the STG44's were not nearly as accurate as their predecessors are in RO2.

2. Many maps in RO1 / DH were much larger and far less restrictive (protective zones) so there was much more long-range combat as opposed to the close combat we are seeing predominantly in RO2.

3. You did not have the ability in RO1 to sprint so long and bring your gun up to shoot so fast after a sprint. This buffer time after a sprint made running and gunning far more difficult and stamina actually influenced weapon sway and accuracy.

4. There was also no bullet penetration in RO1.

All of the above lead to the "outcry" you are seeing. Fix the first 3 and the "outcry" will lessen even if you keep the Mkb in the game.

Upvote 0
Ok I've got my "vague" answer that is in the region of "We did it before. We're doing it more now. You didn't cry before, why are you crying now?" that doesn't really answer anything or make sense.

You may have broken your previous records based on false promises about the game, but we didn't know about the "design team decisions", broken stats, broken authenticity, broken gameplay, broken loadouts, broken sounds, unstable engine before the release. I doubt your sales will be the same in the future. The damage to the reputation/trust is done. I wouldn't call this a success.

It's been a good ride since 2006 Tripwire, but after your attitude in this thread I won't be promoting your game anymore, nor playing it. Pity, because you have created an exceptional game, but ruined it with simple design choices. Maybe after some time when a proper mod cleans up your mess.

Upvote 0
If there was only one Mkb, my reaction upon meeting him would be "Oh ****!" My heart would beat faster and I'd focus on the challenge of taking on a superior weapon. As the game stands now, my current reaction is: "Another one!?!?" I let out a sigh, my shoulders sag, and I prime my grenade/check my PPSh/top off my bolt with grim resignation.

Everything is acceptable in moderation. In the case of the Mkb, I honestly think severe moderation is called for.
#

Your reaction is exactly the same thing I experience each time I see an MkB.

I have no problem with having the weapon in game. I understand it is meant to be powerful, accurate, and devestating at close range. As with most people, the only concern is the number of them. I was looking forward to the hero system. I was looking forward to, as you say, coming up against an MKB and knowing that not only was I about to engage a superior weapon, but I was about to engage a player who had earned the right to wield it through a demonstration of experience and skill.

Instead, I just think, "Oh look, another dickhead with an MkB". I could bear it more knowing there was only a handful of these weapons in the game and those using them were the best of the bunch, but when every Tom, Dick and Harry is using them, it becomes frustrating. I begin to see them as players who choose the MKB simply because it's the best weapon in the game and they can, rather than opting to make the game feel like a WW2 shooter by choosing a bolt rifle.

I've played Red Orchestra since it's first mod release back in, what, 2003? Loved every second of it. On the whole, I think RO2 is fantastic - bugs and performance issues notwithstanding, it's a great evolution of the franchise. But the issue of rare, powerful weaponry being available in bulk does detract from, not the gameplay, but the experience of RO2.

Aside from that, I aprpeciate the response from the dev team. And I will probably continue to play RO2 in the knowledge that TWI aren't the kind of developer to ignore the feedback of their players, and allow the game to stagnate due to lack of updates.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the post Ramm...and yes you probably deserved a vacation. Hope you had as much sun as me on my German vacation.

As long as the class loadout will be adjustable by the server admin then that will sort all problems.

As stated before I liked your original idea of implementing heroes and prototype weapons.

So thank you and also thank you that the stats will be reset. That should take care of some MkB's until server option is available.

Upvote 0
I'd like to say something in regards to RO1 had stg44's and no one complained...

Well thats because the maps was alot bigger, but had a balanced feel so that all weapons felt usefull (well to me anyways).

Why was we not informed on this "last" minute, game changing / breaking (depends on how you look at it) decision? Now i know you dev's have a right to feed us info whenever you want, and Im not saying that we should have known everything about the game, but to me the hero class was one of its selling points.

but i can deal with the mkb / avt40, I Just wanted this to have a little realism.. (suprising that there's no 40+ page one the mg's being able to run and gun!).

To me i feel that this game has become an arcade run and gun game, much like most fps's, but i guess thats my problem and my fault for wanting a realistic game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The difference is simple:

1. In RO1 / DH the STG44's were not nearly as accurate as their predecessors are in RO2.

2. Many maps in RO1 / DH were much larger and far less restrictive (protective zones) so there was much more long-range combat as opposed to the close combat we are seeing predominantly in RO2.

3. You did not have the ability in RO1 to sprint so long and bring your gun up to shoot so fast after a sprint. This buffer time after a sprint made running and gunning far more difficult and stamina actually influenced weapon sway and accuracy.

4. There was also no bullet penetration in RO1.

All of the above lead to the "outcry" you are seeing. Fix the first 3 and the "outcry" will lessen even if you keep the Mkb in the game.
Although I agree with points 2, 3 and 4 I have to make a footnote at point one. The STG44 in RO: OST was a accurate as a rifle <150 meters. The tip of the ironsight really represents where your bullet lands, just like with the Kar98. Not many ppl know this, since they use it more like a MP40 and such. Try it out in RO :)

My, or I can safely say, THE main thought being is still that the MKB.42 is a ridiculous weapon to have in this game in such large amounts.

Upvote 0
The stock RO1 maps were not 'alot bigger' compared to the stock RO2 maps. Some of the RO1 custom maps and most likely DH maps are a lot bigger.
That is true. I think players dont have the feeling anymore they play on ''big'' maps since everything looks bigger compared to RO1.
The irony being that this game is made in the USA. Where everything is bigger. ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.