• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Update on the Beta - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

[TW]Ramm-Jaeger

Tripwire Interactive President
Oct 11, 2005
www.redorchestragame.com
Ok, I hate to say it again, but everyone needs to step back, take a deep breath, and calm down. You've got a shiny new MP HD video to enjoy, you've got a dev team that is slaving away night and day 7 days a week to get the game into your sweaty paws, and every day gets you closer to getting your hands on the game. So calm down a bit.

So what is going on with the beta? First off, I'll come right out and say this, the beta date was delayed along with the release. A dev (he who shall remain unnamed - Alan ... oops) put up a blog that said no internal deadlines were going to move with the delay. Unfortunately, he did this before he talked to the code department :) As soon as I saw that blog, I had him take it down, because while it was accurate to what he thought the situation was, the situation was different than what he thought it was when he made the blog.

Let's make one point every clear - our goal has ALWAYS been to give you guys about 2 weeks of time with the beta before the launch of the game. That has never changed, only it became a different two weeks. Now, we had an idea that we might possibly be able to extend that to 3 weeks when we delayed the release, but the reality of the bug situation make that not possible. At the end of the day, you should still get about 2 weeks with the beta like we've planned since we announced the DDE.

So this week "he who shall remain unnamed ... Alan (oops, I did it again)" let slip during an interview that the beta would be out very soon, possibly by the time the video was released. This was very optimistic on "he shall remain unnamed's" part, and he has been severely beaten and now knows to ask the code team before hinting about dates in the future :)

So where are we at? Right now we're nailing down some of the nastier bugs before we roll out the DDE beta. I know, I know "but but but, we don't care about bugs just give us the beta!!!" Well you say you don't care about bugs, but in reality if we don't fix some of these bugs before the DDE guys get their hands on it, a lot of average gamers (and even some of the "RO fanbois") are just going to complain to everyone about the bugs. There are levels of bug severity, and we want to clear up a certain level of bugs before we move on to the next stage. Don't worry, we'll save some bugs for you to find in the beta - we promise :)

So then what is the answer to the question everyone wants to know - when will the beta be released. I'll put it in big bold letters here so no-one misses it:

The beta will most likely be released early next week, probably around August 30th!

That is NOT a promise, it is a target date. It could shift a day or two, so if August 30th comes around and the beta isn't released that day don't come to these forums saying "but you promised it would come out today!!!" We don't "promise" - games development is not an exact science. It is more like warfare - you might shoot to capture a city by a certain date, but battles don't always go exactly to plan.

Some of you may still be irate after reading this thread. If it bothers you that much, please go to Steam and get your pre-purchase refunded and then just order the regular edition and play with everyone else on September 13th. There is no need to fill the forums with ranting on this subject any more. I'm going to instruct the moderators to close any new "where is the beta" thread, and delete any posts taking threads off topic with "where is the beta" posts.

So lets move on, talk about the new HD trailer, the new screenshots and stories, how cool it's going to be to get our hands on the game, etc. I'll see you guys on the battlefield next week!

Thanks.

I've signed in for the first time in a long time (since the RO mod for UT) to say thank you. I've lurked on the these boards for a while and the amount of whining is astonishing.

So thanks for the update, but I fear it will do nothing to appease that have a natural tendancy to complain about everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: CopperHead
Upvote 0
Mentos_moment,_I_approve.jpg

Reactions: .:CM'].[Diablo
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.