• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad System in RO2

Pieman'

Jul 24, 2011
Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster! I have searched through the forums and while there has been a huge amount of information, not very much has been said on the squads! I can observe from the media that squad gameplay is going to be focused on more in RO2, as apposed to ROOst (pub gameplay) where there weren't squads unless you really worked at keeping one together with friends.

My questions are:
1). Squad Size;
a). What sort of size squads are we likely to see? I know we've seen on various media sources that there are 'fire teams' which seem to consist of about 4 people, however I don't know if that's a reliable source due to unknown casualties etc.
b). Will the number of squads simply increase as you increase the size of the server?
2). Squad Class Limits;
Will the Class Limits be based off squads or the team as a whole? For example, could one squad have 3 MG42s and a Kar98k Scoped Sniper Rifle? (Not complaining if that is the case!)
I like working with a squad, so I hope gameplay (& scoring!) is heavily bias to those working in a squad!

"Effective Teamwork Can Overcome Any Obstacle or Objective".

I don't know about your first question, but regarding the second - I'm pretty sure class limits are going to be server-wide unless tinkered with by an admin. It'd be just too easy to exploit and have 10 snipers on a team if the limitation applied to squads only.

---

What about having general global limits, as well as squad limits, like PR? I don't think RO2 is going to have that many classes though.

Upvote 0
My questions are:
1). Squad Size;
a). What sort of size squads are we likely to see? I know we've seen on various media sources that there are 'fire teams' which seem to consist of about 4 people, however I don't know if that's a reliable source due to unknown casualties etc.
b). Will the number of squads simply increase as you increase the size of the server?
2). Squad Class Limits;
Will the Class Limits be based off squads or the team as a whole? For example, could one squad have 3 MG42s and a Kar98k Scoped Sniper Rifle? (Not complaining if that is the case!)
1. a. Squads in game reflect real-world organisation - so usually 8-10 people, broken up into "fireteams". Depending on mission, can be rifle team, assault team, MG team. You may see a separate sniper team, to reflect that snipers were not usually part of the squad makeup.
1. b. As the number of players increases, so new squads will open up.
2. The squads are set up by map, so the LD can mess around with the composition of the force, to suit the map. So, one squad can be rifle-heavy, one can be assault-heavy.

Upvote 0
1. a. Squads in game reflect real-world organisation - so usually 8-10 people, broken up into "fireteams". Depending on mission, can be rifle team, assault team, MG team. You may see a separate sniper team, to reflect that snipers were not usually part of the squad makeup.
2. The squads are set up by map, so the LD can mess around with the composition of the force, to suit the map. So, one squad can be rifle-heavy, one can be assault-heavy.

Who is LD? The leader of the team?

Upvote 0
Nice to have some details on this, which we haven't before. Sounds great, and luckily it looks like it will ensure that most people on the map are carrying bolt action rifles just like real life (most of the time ;)), as well as being better for teamplay.

Who is LD? The leader of the team?

LD = Level Designer.

Upvote 0
Will this be done automatically or will you be able to place yourself in a specific squad like the way Battlefield does it.
If you don't care about which squad you are in, you can just select by role and let the game stick you in a squad, or you can look at the open squads and choose a role within one you want to join.

Upvote 0
If you don't care about which squad you are in, you can just select by role and let the game stick you in a squad, or you can look at the open squads and choose a role within one you want to join.

So if I am to understand correctly...

The more players on a team, the more squads, which gives more roles like MG and assault. Because there can only be one MG per squad.
So basically a small 5 vs 5 will have only say 1 MG available, while a 32 vs 32 might have 3 or 4!
Dynamic class system, I like! :D

Unless I got it wrong, then I feel like a fool.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I am very excited for this change. It will help newcomers to understand that not everyone can be a MG or Sniper or SMG. The old system you always get new players asking why a specific class is faded out, well now they can tell. Hopefully RO2 has a squad UI to show people why certain classes are now disabled (as to say smg slots are all taken by people in Squad A)

If anyone is confused on how this works, it seems similar to how America's Army is setup. This just an example and not an exact layout of how RO 2 squads will be*****
  • 13 players = 1 team = 1 squad
  • 1 squad = 1 squad leader + 2 fire teams + advanced marksmen (in RO2's case MG squad and marksmen squad)
  • 1 fire team = 1 fire team leader (riflemen) + riflemen + grenadier + automatic rifleman (in this case grenadier might be replaced with a semi-auto rifleman and automatic rifleman with an assault SMG)
  • 1 advanced marksmen = 1 sniper + 1 riflemen
  • Default available selection starts with Squad Leader + 1 Fire Team
  • When more players join the other teams unlock and are available to use

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe I misunderstand. Does it mean that if for example I am joining squad A and get killed, I respawn close-by squad A again?

You can EITHER chose to spawn at a standard spawn point OR spawn on your Squad Leader - not on your Squad (they could be scattered all over the map).

How does the squad leader work? Is it a class you pick or based on rank? Can you easily change who the squad leader is?

It is a role you pick. To change Squad Leader, just have the guy in role pick a role in the squad and someone else take over as SL.

@Krazyxazn:

You're way confused...

13 players on one team (i.e. Axis or Allies) would give you two squads open; 13 players on the server (i.e. 6/7 players per team) would give you one squad per team.

1 Squad (usually) = 2 fire teams, plus an MG team. Sniper is usually outside the squad as a separate (small) squad.

Default available selection is Platoon Commander + 1 (full) Squad.

Squad system doesn't apply in Firefight - that is just mayhem :)

Upvote 0