• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An Open Letter To The Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reddog and hockeywarrior, i completely agree. and to note, it probably would have been more appropriate to come down on those who where responsible for the majority of flaming...... i.e. the "TW is deh awesome and can do no wrong" responses.....

the true community, i.e. the "haters" or "whiners" (as some of us have been called) are the ones who are trying to help the most. it's the mainly "June/July 2011" members, who in their quests to impress TW with their yellow dots and running to TW's defense on everything with hopes of getting beta access, who should be ashamed of themselves.

may the :IS2: bless TW in continuing to improve RO2 and may the :IS2: bless all who continue to uphold the preservation of RO's legacy. amen.

This a billion times

Upvote 0
Reddog and hockeywarrior, i completely agree. and to note, it probably would have been more appropriate to come down on those who where responsible for the majority of flaming...... i.e. the "TW is deh awesome and can do no wrong" responses.....

the true community, i.e. the "haters" or "whiners" (as some of us have been called) are the ones who are trying to help the most. it's the mainly "June/July 2011" members, who in their quests to impress TW with their yellow dots and running to TW's defense on everything with hopes of getting beta access, who should be ashamed of themselves.

may the :IS2: bless TW in continuing to improve RO2 and may the :IS2: bless all who continue to uphold the preservation of RO's legacy. amen.

Way to lump the TWI defenders together with generalizations. I really don't have a desire to get beta, and its been something I've been struggling with. Beta is awesome and nice, but I've been thinking I'd rather have the finished product.

Anyways, as one of those wretched defenders, I'd like to say, you are idealizing the people who complained, for every good criticizer, (IE: That weapon really wasn't in Stalingrad, This or that is standard issue!) There were 10-20 people on these forums calling TWI on ruining this game and saying it is now a Call of duty game, and accusations of selling out have been flying this way and that.

Please don't turn a blind eye to these bad posts and draw a line in the sand. TWI defenders and constructive criticism should be hand and hand, because TWI DOES accept constructive criticism, so you should defend them to against people who would say this great game is a money grab sell out attempt.

So what do ya say? Can we work together to keep these forums clean?

Upvote 0
Great post, and I totally agree with you Reddog. There has been a lot of posting over the last few weeks of people respectfully voicing their concerns, and it is a tad bit of a slap in the face to be lumped in with every other troller/flamer out there, when that certainly isn't the case.

Those of us who have raised the concerns only have done so because we're huge fans and care alot about the game. Our first goal was always simply to be listened to - not to start a forum flame war. It's clear that we have been listened to, so I really do appreciate that. It's just I agree with Reddog that it's not fair to categorize us as trollers/flamers when we've really been nothing but supportive of TWI all through this development process, and even since the mod days for many of us. Just recognize that such acts are those of a caring, loyal, and concerned community!
Woa, what the heck?! How did my rep go from being all greens and yellows to red?? Did someone edit my rep or something??

It's impossible that it could have dropped that far in a couple hours since my last forum visit. I've even checked out my latest posts and they definitely aren't the reason. What gives?

Sorry for the offtopic but this is rather strange to say the least ....

Upvote 0
Woa, what the heck?! How did my rep go from being all greens and yellows to red?? Did someone edit my rep or something??

It's impossible that it could have dropped that far in a couple hours since my last forum visit. I've even checked out my latest posts and they definitely aren't the reason. What gives?

Sorry for the offtopic but this is rather strange to say the least ....

Yes I noted it as well, strange and sad, I also noted someone with only 3 posts having a full green bar, something strange is going on. Certainly you don't deserve red. I also get about mixed Positive and negative votes on my posts, how is it that I'm basically full green now?
Also, how is it that people see Green and yellow, and I see Green and light green, Red and Orange?

Might want to edit the quote out of your post.. not related to your post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes I noted it as well, strange and sad, I also noted someone with only 3 posts having a full green bar, something strange is going on. Certainly you don't deserve red. I also get about mixed Positive and negative votes on my posts, how is it that I'm basically full green now?
Also, how is it that people see Green and yellow, and I see Green and light green, Red and Orange?

Might want to edit the quote out of your post.. not related to your post.
We'll I'd literally have to get like 50 downvotes at once (at least!) for such a ridiculous shift lol ... something isn't right, that's for sure.

Upvote 0
Way to lump the TWI defenders together with generalizations. I really don't have a desire to get beta, and its been something I've been struggling with. Beta is awesome and nice, but I've been thinking I'd rather have the finished product.

Anyways, as one of those wretched defenders, I'd like to say, you are idealizing the people who complained, for every good criticizer, (IE: That weapon really wasn't in Stalingrad, This or that is standard issue!) There were 10-20 people on these forums calling TWI on ruining this game and saying it is now a Call of duty game, and accusations of selling out have been flying this way and that.

Please don't turn a blind eye to these bad posts and draw a line in the sand. TWI defenders and constructive criticism should be hand and hand, because TWI DOES accept constructive criticism, so you should defend them to against people who would say this great game is a money grab sell out attempt.

So what do ya say? Can we work together to keep these forums clean?

The thing is that other people's opinion doesn't matter. There is a handful (literally) of people here in the forums who really think they are the authority on everything RO, gaming and the forums in general.

They are probably just trying to stir up **** at the moment, because I guess they know TW is not sitting in their offices and are like "omg 2 and a half man in the forums are mad!!!11".

Why do you think they are trying to derail every friggin thread?

Upvote 0
We don't need to read into people's motives and accuse people of bad behavior. Speak your piece and everything will be all right.

The fact of the matter is TW is marketing in a particular way, to a particular audience, and that means those of us with different tastes/objectives carry on with our business. Which is to say promoting your preferred game type and committing yourself to some social organizing.

Reactions: Munk and DiedTrying
Upvote 0
We don't need to read into people's motives and accuse people of bad behavior. Speak your piece and everything will be all right.

The fact of the matter is TW is marketing in a particular way, to a particular audience, and that means those of us with different tastes/objectives carry on with our business. Which is to say promoting your preferred game type and committing yourself to some social organizing.

I for one will enjoy visiting you guys' realistic servers, I once played a reenactment on darkest hour, one death and follow your squad leader, was simply amazing and stressful experience. I'm actually hoping countdown will recreate this in a way. Took a long time to set up however, and I can't bare to do it every round.

But I really hope you realism guys will come by and visit the relaxed servers, just because it isn't your preference doesn't mean you should shun it. TWI made it for fun, they aren't corrupting you and your realism. :D

Personally I'm going to start down vote and leave it as that, let the votes do the talking and stop arguing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Munk
Upvote 0
I for one will enjoy visiting you guys' realistic servers, I once played a reenactment on darkest hour, one death and follow your squad leader, was simply amazing and stressful experience. I'm actually hoping countdown will recreate this in a way. Took a long time to set up however, and I can't bare to do it every round.

But I really hope you realism guys will come by and visit the relaxed servers, just because it isn't your preference doesn't mean you should shun it. TWI made it for fun, they aren't corrupting you and your realism. :D

Personally I'm going to start down vote and leave it as that, let the votes do the talking and stop arguing.
Oh just because I've been mainly concerned about the realism side of things (mainly because RO has always leaned much more towards that than casual gaming), don't let that cause you to draw the conclusion that I won't play on ranked servers. I'll definitely spend probably equal amounts of time on both, even months after RO2 is out.

Just because I prefer a more realistic and historically accurate style of play doesn't mean I dislike everything else ;) On the contrary, I tend to like games with well thought out ranking and leveling systems. The important thing is being offered the choice to play different ways :)

(PS, my rep just went down another red bar, despite no downvotes in the last 15 minutes ;))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Q: Why are you turning RO2 into COD

A: The short answer is we're not. As a matter of fact, if anything, the game is probably still a little too hardcore.
I have to agree. Every non-RO 1 gamer I have shown RO 2 too said the same thing. It looks sweet and it looks a little too hardcore. Don't fret, I will convert all these people with the power of recorded gameplay :D

Reactions: Ossius
Upvote 0
As you can see, mine is now very high green, indicating that I AM indeed the best poster ever.
LOL well it would literally take 200 people downvoting me all at once to cause this. Me thinks its a forum bug? gotta be something like that. Anywho, carry on with the topic.

Long story short for me so I don't keep beating a dead horse: I really appreciate Ramm's post, and I think it was really necessary to address the craziness on the forums as of late. I'm very very excited for RO2, and I know that if anything major needs to be done regarding custom modes, or anything like that, I can trust Tripwire to listen to community feedback and make it so.

More than anything else, the thing I look forward to most is going out onto the battlefield armed with nothing but my trusty Nagant revolver to win the war all by myself :D

Reactions: Ossius and Munk
Upvote 0
Me thinks its a forum bug?

i assure you it's not.......it's just the way the rep system works. certain individuals with grossly inflated rep points (like a dev for example) have more impact with their votes. so say you have +1000 points and you have a person with +500,000 points neg you, it will make a huge impact. of course, as VariousName's sig shows, there's also the other possibility......you got dev trolled ;)

as for the comments about this and that, i hate how this always keeps coming back to a battle between apparent "groups" of players. there shouldn't be division like this......all it takes as different gamemodes and we've got battles of us vs. them popping up. realism vs. casual gamers, RO vets vs. RO noobs.......

Ossius, i've always considered myself a "TW defender"......i support TW. i support RO, and most likely i've been a "defender" before you even knew of RO's existance......but that doesn't mean i'm just going to post only nicey nicey things to make them feel warm and cuddly...that does nothing to improve the game. i hope for RO2 to be the greatest PC fps of all time, and to me, certain actions have cause for concern and that's why we post to try to have questions answered. that's why we have these forums to discuss the game. everything tends to be civil until yes, we get the extremes from both "sides". the typical immaturity that stems from the extreme sides is what this community does not need.

it's easy to get caught up in flamefests.....but when flamefests do happen, it's important to acknowledge all parties involved. so yes, while i truly appreciate Ramm's post, it does still irritate me that it basically came off as a slap in the face to the now stereotyped "RO vets/whiners etc..." when there was much more to all of this....

Upvote 0
i assure you it's not.......it's just the way the rep system works. certain individuals with grossly inflated rep points (like a dev for example) have more impact with their votes. so say you have +1000 points and you have a person with +500,000 points neg you, it will make a huge impact. of course, as VariousName's sig shows, there's also the other possibility......you got dev trolled ;)

Too bad it doesn't work that way, the system calculates your current rep power, based on post count etc etc, you can't change it. Nobody has a 3 digit rep power. Nobody. 500.000 rep points doesn't change that.

We had a problem with the db. It ****ed up stuff. (Drakon2k's rep, serioulsy?)
We do not restore the db for something minor as the rep system, because that would mean we lose many posts. We prefer to keep the posts.

I actually changed some people's rep back to green when I saw that their numbers were totally off. (You are welcome VariousNames, btw.).

If people lose or gain rep now, then it is because people vote them up or down.

Subtle hint: Falsly accusing Tripwire in their own forum is going to end right here and now. Last and only warning.

Upvote 0
Too bad it doesn't work that way, the system calculates your current rep power, based on post count etc etc, you can't change it. Nobody has a 3 digit rep power. Nobody. 500.000 rep points doesn't change that.

We had a problem with the db. It ****ed up stuff. (Drakon2k's rep, serioulsy?)
We do not restore the db for something minor as the rep system, because that would mean we lose many posts. We prefer to keep the posts.

I actually changed some people's rep back to green when I saw that their numbers were totally off. (You are welcome VariousNames, btw.).

If people lose or gain rep now, then it is because people vote them up or down.

Subtle hint: Falsly accusing Tripwire in their own forum is going to end right here and now. Last and only warning.
Thanks for the reply. That said, I don't see how it was possible for my mostly green rep (5 bars with some yellow) to go straight to ALL red in a matter of a few hours, when there haven't been any mass down-votes of my posts. Could you explain?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.