• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An Open Letter To The Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Red Orchestra had going for it all these years was the fact that it wasn't a clone of CoD. Now that's pretty much thrown out the window =P

Tripwire seems to have snubbed the realism players.. and the tankers, as well.

I'm just hoping that it is possible to mod out the "leveling" system so that servers can keep to the spirit of RO without having Mp44's with reflex sights and not having basic bayonets without having to grind out points, or whatever.

I see most of the people defending RO2 as anything but a re-skinned version of DoD:S or CoD... have join dates of 2011.. where were you people a few years ago? Join many bandwagons lately?

edit: I also find it amusing they even included the MP44... that's like saying.. oh look, there is a pic of a Marine in fallujah toting a PPSH.. obviously PPSH's were issued to US Marines so they should be included in our next game!

Snog. Seriously. Read the post that John made, and stop derailing this thread.

To quote John (again):

Q: Why are you turning RO2 into COD

A: The short answer is we're not. As a matter of fact, if anything, the game is probably still a little too hardcore. If you've read any of the press previews they go on and on about how hardcore the game is. Now I believe part of this is just due to the fact that they were thrown into a playtest with a bunch of devs and testers that have been playing the game for years, and are super elite at it. But at its core, the game still plays like RO. It just now doesn't have a learning "cliff", it has a learning curve. And things flow a lot smoother, we've removed a lot of the barriers for entry. Of the RO1 fans that have entered the beta, 99.9 % LOVE RO2. The reason for this is that RO2 does just what we've said it does, it makes Red Orchestra more accessible while keeping the core gameplay elements (the heart and soul) of what the fans loved about RO1.

The MP44 is not in our game. The Tanks are more realistic then in RO1.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
It just now doesn't have a learning "cliff", it has a learning curve.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but RO never had a learning cliff or learning curve (that award would go to WWIIONLINE and Arma1/2/OA). The major reasons gamers were turned off by it was because of the pixel hunting (casual/tactical gamers) from hell and ping-pong tank battles (simmers), and this was back in 2006/7ish, when I tried to convert some COD gamers to this game.

No, one could easily jump right into RO and know how to play in right after installing the game. Why? Just like most FPS games on the market, you use WASD to navigate the virtual world and neutralize your opponent with ammo of the 1s and 0s caliber.

Reactions: TR00P3R_C
Upvote 0
If it really is taking "months" to work on one tank, we are in serious trouble.

How are we in trouble? the tanks are fully realised, everything is like it is in real life, interactive view ports, complex damage mechanism every mini-module of the tank is destructible. you can see the whole interior of the tank rather than a mine-section and if you want to change places you have to climb through a tank. Are we in trouble bearing in mind all dedicated tank simulators don't do this?

Lrn2Backgroundresearch

Upvote 0
If it really is taking "months" to work on one tank, we are in serious trouble.

Modelers and coders are busy making other things in the game I'm guessing, once the game is released I'm sure the production of tanks will pick up. But have you seen the tanks? Its amazing. I'd rather have all tanks take 3 months and look like that then get short changed.

Upvote 0
How are we in trouble? the tanks are fully realised, everything is like it is in real life, interactive view ports, complex damage mechanism every mini-module of the tank is destructible. you can see the whole interior of the tank rather than a mine-section and if you want to change places you have to climb through a tank. Are we in trouble bearing in mind all dedicated tank simulators don't do this?

Lrn2Backgroundresearch

T34 vs. Tiger has a detailed interior, and it came out in 2007. WWIIONLINE has real armor coding, and that game came out in 2001.

Plus, it doesn't take months to create a texture for the interior of a tank. My buddy, who now works for Virgil Games, is a 3d artist. He used to tell me it's the most stressful job, because if you take months to complete something, then you can find yourself out of a job.

Yeah, I know Virgil Games is a lot larger than TWI, but the business model is still the same. The longer you take to produce something, the more money you are burning.

Upvote 0
T34 vs. Tiger has a detailed interior, and it came out in 2007. WWIIONLINE has real armor coding, and that game came out in 2001.

Plus, it doesn't take months to create a texture for the interior of a tank. My buddy, who now works for Virgil Games, is a 3d artist. He used to tell me it's the most stressful job, because if you take months to complete something, then you can find yourself out of a job.

Yeah, I know Virgil Games is a lot larger than TWI, but the business model is still the same. The longer you take to produce something, the more money you are burning.

Have you yet factored in the fact that these tanks are being built on UE3, a more advanced engine with a full ballistics system and the fact that each crewman can get killed by a tank shell within the tank? I'm pretty sure the last part was the hardest to implement so kindly stop doom saying on a game that you haven't even experienced yet.

Reactions: Hobitt
Upvote 0
Ladies and gentlemen, I think that in those crazy times of such herecy and un-thankfulness we should all.. go check my sig.
Dont feed the trolls
. When you start feeding them its like an avalanche, it becomes bigger and bigger and all the good/constructive posts drown in derpiness.

:IS2: Bless you all.

Upvote 0

Word. They're just putting a lot of work into the tank models.

They're damn impressive, too.

I like how all the armchair coders, animators, texture artists, etc can do everything in so much less time than those actually in the business :rolleyes:

QFT

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like how all the armchair coders, animators, texture artists, etc can do everything in so much less time than those actually in the business :rolleyes:

Yeah I honestly have never understood how people could be critical of the tanks in this game. It's truly going to blow anything that's come before out of the water in terms of immersion and realism. I'll happily enjoy only 2 tanks if they are presented in such a detailed manner as they are in RO2.

Reactions: Yoshiro and u-s-e-r
Upvote 0

As a 3d modeller myself I can only laugh about this. A fine example is Gran Turismo 5, which has about 250 fully modelled cars. Each car took one employee up to 6 months to finish. And the guys at Polyphony are hardcore professionals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Munk
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Same is in WWIIOnline

‪WWII Online: Battleground Europe- Damage Model‬‏ - YouTube

i hope the dmg system is close to that in RO2 with slowly burning tanks and open hatches

Now picture yourself making a game with that damage model in mind, with a hundred-fold more detailed tanks, graphics, and environment that is some of the difficulty that TWI need to face to pop out just one of these tanks. WWII online is mostly open fields, blocky buildings and not much else.

Upvote 0
I said "could have" not "was used"

The MKB is beside the point anyways, he's clearly trolling.

well really, even saying "the mkb42 could have been used in Stalingrad" is still an invalid statement as there isn't even any speculative evidence to hint at the possibility of it being there. the historical facts about the weapon are pretty clear that it wasn't there.......HOWEVER, with TW's changed marketing stance towards the weapon (i.e. it's cool, never been featured in a ww2 game, helps balance etc...) and the options they are giving sever admins to disable the weapon, i'm not so much concerned about it anymore.

guess now it doesn't really matter or not if he was trolling since he's already banned :D

Upvote 0
well really, even saying "the mkb42 could have been used in Stalingrad" is still an invalid statement as there isn't even any speculative evidence to hint at the possibility of it being there. the historical facts about the weapon are pretty clear that it wasn't there.......

Who cares. I want it in the GAME, because it keeps the GAME fun.

This is TWI's vision. If they want to put something in their game, so be it. Either we'll learn to love it, disable it in the options, or cry in the forums (and continue to get more red dots by your name)

Upvote 0
Who cares. I want it in the GAME, because it keeps the GAME fun.

This is TWI's vision. If they want to put something in their game, so be it. Either we'll learn to love it, disable it in the options, or cry in the forums (and continue to get more red dots by your name)

Let me explain how this works.

You play on relaxed realism mode, I play on realism mode.

There's room enough on these forums and on this game for both of our communities without insulting eachother. You have a preference, I have a preference.

I should be able to express an opinion without this bullying type of behavior.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.