• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

An Open Letter To The Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd get rid of the whole rep system, it encourages extremist behaviors, increases the length of the flame wars and simply pisses people off.

Each 0 our of 1 without an answer is like a slap in the face, no arguments against it or anything, is like somone posting "Your post sucks" without any constructive explanation. One does not like to go somewhere and get slapped.

For example, the new guys who come from CoD or BF and have little clue about the game, gets neg-repped to death in their first post (not by me), just because they are not well informed.

Ramm said that this community was better at the beginning and has only gone worse, and I agree, we used to have more civilized discussions back then, I'm not gonna blame all on the rep system, but I'm sure it did not help at all.

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd get rid of the whole rep system, it encourages extremist behaviors, increases the length of the flame wars and simply pisses people off.

Each 0 our of 1 without an answer is like a slap in the face, no arguments against it or anything, is like somone posting "Your post sucks" without any constructive explanation. One does not like to go somewhere and get slapped.

For example, the new guys who come from CoD or BF and have little clue about the game, gets neg-repped to death in their first post (not by me), just because they are not well informed.

Ramm said that this community was better at the beginning and has only gone worse, and I agree, we used to have more civilized discussions back then, I'm not gonna blame all on the rep system, but I'm sure it did not help at all.
Wow looks like the same thing happened to you Federov. What the heck is happening to this forum?

Upvote 0
Not sure what to say. I remember COD games had "Unlock XYZ Gun, pre order now!~". TW has "We give you pointy objects, go stab some newbies, fellow vets, dead cows, and brick walls outside spawn". :IS2:

Hopefully now the forums can return to its former glory and we can start seeing worthwhile posts instead of black holes full of negativity and arguing.:D

You're only saying that because you'll shank me right after I deploy at the perfect spot :(

Upvote 0
That is what I am talking about. DB fuxored. You can't get -300k rep.

He is back to normal.
How do you see the exact number for your rep? Like what negative number am I? Lol this whole thing is so damn silly. Been green for 6 years I've been a member of these forums and I go ALL RED in a matter of 5 hours. Crazy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't think Tripwire realizes the fact that, yes they may be catering to the generic CoD gamer... but.... they will play RO2 for a few weeks.. and then CoD 5 and 6 will come out, and they will migrate to there.

have to make a choice between appealing to the long-time players that will play the game for months and months, organize tournaments and matches.. and those that will play the game until the next twitch shooter comes out.

I'm sorry, but everyone I have shown the screenshots to have been all... why is an MP44 in Stalingrad?

The number of people interested in playing a historically accurate game far outnumber those that want to play a re-skinned version of CoD.

But, like many have said, servers will be able to mod things, so we can take out the farby weapons and cheesy mods to retain some sort of authenticity.

Upvote 0
Grothejs; you can use the like tool to say you did like something ^^

I was upset the first time i saw the unlocks, with the bayonets and both stuff.. Now, i realise that i don't really don't care, and i truly believe that we will all be satisfied and happy when we will play the game. Many people were scared, because they can't take their hands on RO2 and they are affraid it loses the RO Ost's spirit !

At the moment, we can only wait until the game comes out, but don't forget who is making Red Orchestra 2.
Tripwire ! Do you know many studios that answer questions on a forum? Even a president? :)
Moreover, we will not pay extra dlc that should, no, MUST be already in the game like many are doing today.
That is exactly the kind of things we need today, the more there are experienced studios that make quality games, the better the competition will be, giving us much better games that we could expect !

Supporting TWI, is a bit like saying : we are not cows anymore :)

Many people would even pay more to Trwipire, i hope some people realize how far it goes ! ;)

Upvote 0
I don't think Tripwire realizes the fact that, yes they may be catering to the generic CoD gamer... but.... they will play RO2 for a few weeks.. and then CoD 5 and 6 will come out, and they will migrate to there.

have to make a choice between appealing to the long-time players that will play the game for months and months, organize tournaments and matches.. and those that will play the game until the next twitch shooter comes out.

I'm sorry, but everyone I have shown the screenshots to have been all... why is an MP44 in Stalingrad?

The number of people interested in playing a historically accurate game far outnumber those that want to play a re-skinned version of CoD.

But, like many have said, servers will be able to mod things, so we can take out the farby weapons and cheesy mods to retain some sort of authenticity.
Wait? How does this make sense? If the "CoD kiddies" you hate are so sub human then what wrong with making a fast buck off them?

and then CoD 5 and 6 will come out, and they will migrate to there.
That what you want, right? They buy the product, Tripwire gets money to add in more content and that equals more happy long term players...

You honestly sound like a FPS hipster...

Upvote 0
The point the guy is making is TW are hurting alot of their core fans by adding stuff for gamers who won't be here for the long run but like the gentleman also mentions hopefully server options and even mods can rectify the crazy additions.

To be honest alot of you appreciate Ramm coming out and talking to us but i'm just bored of text, prove to us this game is worthy with some solid footage but wait a second, you can't because you're a small company and videos are far too much work to do that.

Get a beta tester to knock a fraps session together of your next play test, this way we will see how the game plays without idiot Press guys being behind the wheel.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stormer
Upvote 0
Who said people that migrate from the COD and other games will move on so fast, i am from a COD background and all of my clan are sick of COD, we want something different and HOS will be a completely different game. I really can't see what all the moaning is about, wait till you have tried the features in the game before you moan about them. :)

Upvote 0

If you truly believe that your deluding yourself and many others.

Did you always play realistic hardcore FPS? Did you never play Doom, or some other oldie FPS that was fun and completely off the wall? I used to play a FPS game where you fly around as a Bee with a submachine gun, I used to/still do play unrealistic starwars FPS games. Does this make me one of those bad gamers that you don't want around?

Your assuming a number of things wrongly.

1) People don't change, and that people will go back to call of duty and not think "Woah, this game isn't what it used to be, why aren't more games like RO2 and have bipods/suppression/objectives/realistic bullets/damage/tanks/etc/etc/etc" and still like other games. I've played a number of games that have put me off from older games that I used to love, your saying HoS can't do this?

2) People can't play and enjoy different type of games, and if you don't play 100% hardcore games, you don't belong in HoS. Wrong wrong wrong. Stop treating "CoD kiddies" like scum, Judge not lest ye be judge right? Oh and I'm certain you've played CoD, can I call you a COD fanboy?

3) The system is bad and the "true" HoS players don't like it. WRONG! Some players voice their discomfort at the changes TWI has made, but this topic's original post clears a lot of things up (You did read it didn't you?)

4) Nearly all the beta testers, hard core realistic guys or not, love the game, and don't mind it.

5) Its an MKB42, not a MP44 you dolt.

6) The way I see it, your hurting the community, TWI sales, the reputation of the "loyal RO player" and yourself by making assumptions and sweeping generalizations.

Dang it, I already broke my new commitment to keep my mouth shut, oh well.
PS: Your sig is annoying and misleading, to new players, M16 isn't in HOS. (EDIT, Sorry its an M4, but same series of assault rifle, ironic that I make the same mistake he did)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Because Herr Staboffizier's S4 crew forgot that they were supposed to send an supply shipment to Waffen-SS Paranormal Division instead of Paulus' starving sixth army after conducting their time warp experiment to travel back to first battle of Marne to rewrite history, but instead got mixed somewhere between uncanny valley and the far end of general plausibility, after realising how horrible thing it is to play with time-space stuff they just decided to send prototype Mkb42's instead, also known as Trollkarbine.

My heart breaks when I see those defective trouser seams, RO2 is already ruined forever.

Reactions: EvilHobo
Upvote 0
If you truly believe that your deluding yourself and many others.

Did you always play realistic hardcore FPS? Did you never play Doom, or some other oldie FPS that was fun and completely off the wall? I used to play a FPS game where you fly around as a Bee with a submachine gun, I used to/still do play unrealistic starwars FPS games. Does this make me one of those bad gamers that you don't want around?

Your assuming a number of things wrongly.

1) People don't change, and that people will go back to call of duty and not think "Woah, this game isn't what it used to be, why aren't more games like RO2 and have bipods/suppression/objectives/realistic bullets/damage/tanks/etc/etc/etc" and still like other games. I've played a number of games that have put me off from older games that I used to love, your saying HoS can't do this?

2) People can't play and enjoy different type of games, and if you don't play 100% hardcore games, you don't belong in HoS. Wrong wrong wrong. Stop treating "CoD kiddies" like scum, Judge not lest ye be judge right? Oh and I'm certain you've played CoD, can I call you a COD fanboy?

3) The system is bad and the "true" HoS players don't like it. WRONG! Some players voice their discomfort at the changes TWI has made, but this topic's original post clears a lot of things up (You did read it didn't you?)

4) Nearly all the beta testers, hard core realistic guys or not, love the game, and don't mind it.

5) Its an MKB42, not a MP44 you dolt.

6) The way I see it, your hurting the community, TWI sales, the reputation of the "loyal RO player" and yourself by making assumptions and sweeping generalizations.

Dang it, I already broke my new commitment to keep my mouth shut, oh well.
PS: Your sig is annoying and misleading, to new players M16 isn't in HOS.

The vast majority of people will think it is an MP44.

And my point is, the CoD players will play the game for a few months, then move on to the next twitch shooter.

What will happen a year down the road? Will the servers still be full? It's the same fate as other games... Mare Nostrum ring a bell? Servers may be up.. but no one is playing. Means less players will be inclined to buy the game....

But, like I said, server settings and the inevitable mods will fix all the silly hollywood additions TWI made to appease the Modern Warfare fanboys.

Afterall, who has been playing RO for the past few years since it was released? And kept it going, kept the servers full, kept their units going.. be it realism or standard clans..... certainly not the ones who want to pretend it's Counterstrike.

Upvote 0
The vast majority of people will think it is an MP44.

And my point is, the CoD players will play the game for a few months, then move on to the next twitch shooter.

What will happen a year down the road? Will the servers still be full? It's the same fate as other games... Mare Nostrum ring a bell? Servers may be up.. but no one is playing. Means less players will be inclined to buy the game....

But, like I said, server settings and the inevitable mods will fix all the silly hollywood additions TWI made to appease the Modern Warfare fanboys.

Afterall, who has been playing RO for the past few years since it was released? And kept it going, kept the servers full, kept their units going.. be it realism or standard clans..... certainly not the ones who want to pretend it's Counterstrike.
Of course, since from the beginning the game didnt attract them at all.

Reactions: Kirq
Upvote 0
DISCLAIMER: While I may be a complete noob in terms of Red Orchestra, I have to comment on this post as a gamer in general. The ideas presented here are applicable to gamers as a whole more so than any particular game.
While you may be right (I honestly don't presume to know what another person will do), who's to say that a gamer is incapable of dividing his attention between multiple games? Speaking for myself, there are times when I'm in the mood for a "serious" gaming session in which I strive to improve my overall performance or achieve a specific goal. Other times I'm simply in the mood to blow off some steam by blowing some stuff up. Different games fulfill different niches. If I find myself in the mood for a more realistic shooter, I can play RO or some other realism based game. If I'm in a more casual, arcadey mood I can play something else. Why would you assume that this is untrue for the average gamer?

Again I disagree. Why would any business (and make no mistake, that's exactly what every game development studio is) make a conscious choice to constrict their customer base? I fail to see the logic in doing so. Yes, you might make a small niche group of customers happy, but such an approach leads to stagnation (which is what lead a once good franchise like CoD to the pattern of annual reskins that it is today). This also goes back to my last point.

From a purely statistical standpoint I think this notion is wholly un-supportable. Just look at the sales figures. Realism based shooters have a far smaller audience than arcade shooters, CoD in particular.

On this I can't argue. Each individual has his own tastes. With the availability of the SDK anyone with the proper skills can certainly shape their gameplay to a style they prefer.

Overall I simply think that there are some broad generalizations here that warrant some rethinking. No offense to you, sir, but the general tone of the quoted post smaks of an unhealthy level of elitism to me, which serves no one. Not even the "purists".

Reactions: Private Who?
Upvote 0
I think the real test is in the beta Snog

And the beta guys seem pleased enough - many of them are the realisum type - I agree to some extent some will buy it play it for a awhile then wander off to the next newist thing - but some will stay and become hard core players surely thats what we want is't it ?

Ramm was bang on when he said if your worried your type of play/settings wont attract 32 players - you answered your own question there

And as for the mk42 debate - well firstly no one as far as i know as brought forward info showing it wasn't there - so theres every chance it could have been and if it helps with balance then what the hell I'm fine with it

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.