• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Amazing new screenshots!

I think a lot of people misunderstood my stance on the medals, German soldiers always wore their medals. However they were worn on the left breast pocket of the tunic, or in the case of the EK2 and Ostfront medal on the button hole as ribbons. A German soldier would never wear an EK2 on the left breast of his padded parka like in the "German Hero" screen shot.

The EK2 was always worn as a ribbon in the button whole, on the first day of it being awarded the cross was still attached. The EK1 was worn only as the cross with no ribbon and that was on the centre of the left breast pocket of the tunic. So the Heroes medal makes no sense at all... from what ever way to look at it.

Also, his ID tag hanging out is quite a sloppy look for a hero.

Upvote 0
Nothing can calm the realism buffs down entirely. I'm still not comfortable with the "Hero" concepts. I'm somewhat happy knowing they will not be a common site, but I think more reassuring would be some numbers... With a 64 player server, how many "Hero" slots will be available? 2, one for each side?

I could live with that. And I most likely will be playing on servers with the whole "Hero" deal disabled.

My real worries are with the actual combat mechanics of the game itself. From what I watch from the videos posted, it seems alot easier to "run and gun", than it was in RO I. Things like reloading times being quicker, to quick. In RO I they were perfect. Stamina being a little higher than it should be. These are the types of things people should worry about, not prototype weapons and unifroms that break regulations (Take the German soldier, it is not WHAT he is wearing, but HOW he is wearing it. ID tags were never supposed to be hanging out like that, they were supposed to be tucked in behind the shirt. Just because that guy is supposed to be a veteran, doesn't mean he would be allowed to break those kinds of regulations. ID tags were pieces of equipment, not articles of bling.)

I never found it difficult to run and gun in RO1..

(I know this is going to annoy some people)

frankly after playing RO1 and counter strike source for a very long time...they are quite similar in what it takes to do well......I think the difference is artifically inflated, yes they add a bunch of stuff that makes it harder to aim but you learn how to deal with it eventually and it isnt really much harder

Upvote 0
It's all about creating a balance. There should be no, "them and us" mentality between old players and new players who are just joining the RO community.

TWI obviously greatly appreciate the support from long time hardcore ROOST players and old RO MOD players. They've shown this by offering superb support and free content well into the lifespan of RO (whilst the majority of other companies abandon their games after 6 months) and listening to the feedback.

However at the same time they want to attract newer players, let the game expand. So this means that RO2 might have game features that some older players might not like the sound of. That's where choice comes in, the ability to create the game the way you and your friends want to play it. This way it allows older more experienced players the chance to set realism to hardcore and the newer players joining the chance to play relaxed realism.

Not sure about anyone else but I want RO2 to be a huge success. However to do this means inviting new players into the community and not scaring them off because they want to play relaxed realism. There is room for everyone ;)

I really like this post because its bang on..RO2 is not a re-skinned version of RO1..rather its the next step in RO's evolution as a franchise..
And its time to let this franchise grow by bringing in fresh blood via a wealth of new players..
If that means introducing some changes then I say "Go for it"..;)

Upvote 0
I just wanted to say that most of the screens look really nice!!!
I can't wait to play the game!!!!

But I noticed some problems, which were not mentioned before. I hope someone from TWI could comment on this, as that's the only thing bothering me right now. I don't want to nitpick, it's just that I hope it's an easy to fix thing.
It's related to lightning and I spent quite some time to understand what exactly was bothering me in some of the screenshots.

Spoiler!

For some reasons some areas that should be dark, are really bright, like there's a light source there (first screenshot and second screenshot).
And also some areas are extremely dark (almost black), which shouldn't happen at almost any light condition, especially the one in screenshot 2.

Other than that, everything looks great! The screenshot with the machine-gun is my favorite!!! :D

Upvote 0
This is a long thread and I'm not sure I'll read it all! but consider this in relation to the previous hero/realism back and forth:

In real life sports, fights, actual deployments, and yes even in matches on RO - there is a constant that helps win contests and gives a real "boost" - and that is having a talented "hero" around you on your side or team.

The concept of a small boost from a "hero" exists and is a factor every day. You see it in sports and elsewhere in business, etc. with a talented leader around. To me that is realism because I have seen it work that way in real competitions, and in real life. It is a well known phenomenon.

So I think Tripwire got it right.

In regular RO matches there is a "boost" from the "heroes" that get their Mosin to do that much more than we can - and it isn't even modeled into the code yet! So put it all in a slug-fest like Stalingrad with the modeled small boost from heroes balancing with the small demoralization factor and . Yeah, it sounds about right to me.

Upvote 0