• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PBBans supports Red Orchestra 2

Will this version allow macros in RO2?

I use macros in Ostfront to change mouse sensitivity, as I don't have a gaming mouse that can do that directly to the hardware with its own button, and it would suck to get banned for that reason.
I don't think that there is any anti cheat software banning for macros.And i believe they are undetectable,what kind of anti cheat software would check your setpoint to see what action you have bound a key on?

Upvote 0
There is a valid reason to check for macros. Even in Ostfront there is at least one macro which would be considered a cheat.
Well,the only macro i can imagine of that would be considered a cheat is rapid fire with semi auto weapons.But that can be easily fixed by capping the fire rate at the maximum a human can achieve.I don't think someone could click 10 times a second for example :D

Upvote 0
Ramm said something like steam overlay will only be restricted in the most "harsh" level of PB, which would be 3. He said that he personally thinks that would never be used for public servers.

But even for competitive gaming... I personally had great use of steam while playing competitive matches as I really needed to be able to communicate with the opponent in matters related to the match =).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
this is great news ... VAC with its lack of a communtiy ban list sucks and .. punkbuster at default setting suck .. last i seen anyway .. that whole kick for 2 min.s and no bann for a detected cheat was very weak. but with the streaming servers for communtiy ban list and VAC for when the PB contrat runs out .. this could really extend the life of the game.

always good to start the day off with good news

will punkbuster and vac both be running at the sametime, on the same server ??

Upvote 0
Indeed, PB is known for its "trigger-happiness", e.g. not allowing steam overlay ui and blaming Valve for updating its software:rolleyes:

I use the steam overlay to take screenshots in CoD4, Bad Company 2 and Medal of Honor and I have not been kicked for using it. I do believe some older games like Battlefield 2 still gets kicked for using it though.

This is one reason why PB is picky over what it allows to hook into a game.

Some new cheats are now actually hacking FRAPS in order to cheat in the game. We're trying to work with the FRAPS people right now to get this addressed. The current situation is that PB kicks for any version of FRAPS that is not the latest version or any version that has the known cheat hooks. Both Xfire and FRAPS are being used by cheat authors in attempts to hide the cheat without hacking the game or PB directly. The kicks for old versions are restriction kicks rather than cheat violations - players who get the restriction kicks should not be in danger of receiving any kind of ban. A violation kick indicates that PB found a specific cheat hook.

I'm really starting to get worried about false positives now :(

There is the occasional false positive but anti-virus software is no different and that's basically what anti-cheat software is. When they do occur on a massive scale they are reversed fairly quickly.

Will this version allow macros in RO2?

I use macros in Ostfront to change mouse sensitivity, as I don't have a gaming mouse that can do that directly to the hardware with its own button, and it would suck to get banned for that reason.

In BF2 and perhaps ofter games now PB has an option to kick for them but it's not enabled by default.

the setting pb_sv_restrictions will now accept a value of 2 for cases where a server admin wants PunkBuster to be more restrictive with regard to certain macro or hot key type programs; pb_sv_restrictions will continue to default to the value of 1

I use X-Mouse Button Control myself for Bad Company 2 and MoH because I can't bind the mouse wheel to two different functions using the game.

I can understand why some people don't like PB but at least we have a choice. If you want to play Battlefield on a ranked server you're forced to use PB. In MW2, Black Ops and Homefront you're forced to use VAC. Both have their flaws and limitations. VAC tends to be favored by pubbers more because it's less problematic, PB tends to be favored for competition because of the additional functionality such as streaming, pb screenshots, MD5 tool scans etc.

This short MP3 from the Rush Zone conversation with Tripwire explains how AC will work.

http://www.mediafire.com/?q35ghcemgep2u9x

Upvote 0
Until, boom, you get banned and need to buy the game again, get a new steam account and only for one game when your current steam account has dozens of them. Yay, that must be fun :rolleyes:
last time this happen was along time ago and vac gave out free copys of left 4 dead

punkbuster not so much .. but ive never heard of false postives being too big a problem .. they happen but not often

i wouldnt buy a new game i would wait fro the false postive to be reversed

Upvote 0