• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will HoS present the netcode disadvantages of UE3?

Could somebody make a mod/mutator to add lag compensation?:D

People made mutators for UT2k4 (some horrible using prediction some using state based principles) so I guess it would be possible somehow. Although generally I believe they only worked for ray trace rounds and not with ballistics such as missiles.

But like RO hos probably does some tricks and tweaks to not always have to calculate things fully. So if such a system would be made one needed to have a good understanding of how ballistics are handled within RO, and I do not know if TWI will make that part fully visible to the public within the actual modifiable code.

Upvote 0
People made mutators for UT2k4 (some horrible using prediction some using state based principles) so I guess it would be possible somehow. Although generally I believe they only worked for ray trace rounds and not with ballistics such as missiles.

But like RO hos probably does some tricks and tweaks to not always have to calculate things fully. So if such a system would be made one needed to have a good understanding of how ballistics are handled within RO, and I do not know if TWI will make that part fully visible to the public within the actual modifiable code.
You could make your own ballistics, it mustn't be that hard, you just have to know a lot about physics and a bit of programming...

Upvote 0
no! no! no!
don't tell me the bullet calculation will be the same is ro-ost, that was the only major flaw in the game!

having to lead with a bullet by 1/4 of a second (ping + travel time of bullet) sucks so much, please make it client based or use ping compensation!

If you dont believe me, i just found this vid, it is EXACTLY like my problem!
YouTube - Ping, it can have its advantages...

this happens ALWAYS :mad:
This is EXACTLY what happens to me in UT3,with that much delay even when my ping is 65

Upvote 0
no! no! no!
don't tell me the bullet calculation will be the same is ro-ost, that was the only major flaw in the game!

having to lead with a bullet by 1/4 of a second (ping + travel time of bullet) sucks so much, please make it client based or use ping compensation!

If you dont believe me, i just found this vid, it is EXACTLY like my problem!
YouTube - Ping, it can have its advantages...

this happens ALWAYS :mad:

I can't see anything in that vid, what should it show/prove?

Upvote 0
I still don't know what's so wrong with limited ping compensation. Up to 80-90 ping (most common nowadays in central Europe) it wouldn't really be a problem. You, Ramm, and all the others are talking about problems with guys with 250 ping like in console games (dieing after 0,5s would really suck, I agree 100%!). But that wasn't my point. I'm concerned about short-range shooting with a ping under 100 but over 20. It's the most common situation in RO, and will be probably the most common situation for european players in RO:HOS. Limited ping compensation would solve the problem, and the side effects (dying up to 180-200ms after getting behind cover) would be negligible for nearly anyone. You don't die right away in RL anyways. Finally the weapon behaviour would be realistic. And I truely believe that the RO:HOS team is capable of designing limited ping compensation system which wouldn't be a source of idiotic bugs.
Without such thing, to me RO:HOS will be just a game (great one, indeed). With this feature it would be near the WW2 soldier sim status. In my opinion pros outweight the cons a big time. The difference between ping 90 and 0 on the short range is enourmous.

Concluding my post, I understand, that RO:HOS is a computer commercial game (going to be a great one, indeed). And competitiveness is much more important to most future HOS players than realistic bolt action (cause with semi autos and autos you can fire fast enought to defeat matrix bullet dodges) shooting at short ranges (up to 30-40m).
And I understand that there will be no anti-ping system ( stated by Devs some time ago, wasn't it?) and my resistance is futile. So I'll stop posting those comments full of pointless (since the decision has alredy been made) grumbling in this topic. ;)

And VodkaGR - if you have high framerate, no loss, and a good router, I don't know how the hell it's possible that your actual in-game lag is so high (on every server, yes?). Maybe try checking your RAM and HDD. It sometimes causes some strange frame drops and random problems in game. Turning anti-vir software off, and getting some CPU OC might also help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You could make your own ballistics, it mustn't be that hard, you just have to know a lot about physics and a bit of programming...

There are some things that people should never say, and you just said it ;).

Completely redoing the ballistics is something I wouldn't advise, as a lot of things would need to be changed then, and a lot of systems depend on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And that is a perfect example of why ping compensation is rubbish.

A video of a broken implementation doesn't show why ping compensation is rubbish. A badly implemented system will always be bad. You can clearly see in that video that the ping used for the lag compensation doesn't match up with the actual ping delay from player to server. Of course the system won't work correctly then.

That's like saying that bullet drop is rubbish by showing a game where the gravity vector is coincidently pointing upwards instead of downwards. That simply means that the implementation is broken. Or like looking for the word apple under the letter B in the dictionary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A video of a broken implementation doesn't show why ping compensation is rubbish. A badly implemented system will always be bad. You can clearly see in that video that the ping used for the lag compensation doesn't match up with the actual ping delay from player to server. Of course the system won't work correctly then.

That's like saying that bullet drop is rubbish by showing a game where the gravity vector is coincidently pointing upwards instead of downwards. That simply means that the implementation is broken. Or like looking for the word apple under the letter B in the dictionary.

No matter how good the ping prediction is, it will never be able to predict all the network fluctuations and randomness.

Besides, systems with ping compensation opens a whole new world for hacks and exploits

Upvote 0
There are some things that people should never say, and you just said it ;).

Completely redoing the ballistics is something I wouldn't advise, as a lot of things would need to be changed then, and a lot of systems depend on it.
I mean that ballistics equations doesn't seem to be that complicated, of course there are things about that that I don't know, but know the equations of the basis, I should calculate the air friction and it's more or less done.How to implement it is another thing...

Upvote 0
I mean that ballistics equations doesn't seem to be that complicated, of course there are things about that that I don't know, but know the equations of the basis, I should calculate the air friction and it's more or less done.How to implement it is another thing...

We're talking about spinning bullets flying at a speed beyond the speed of sound, your regular air friction formulas won't hold. Next to that iterative calculations or even worse full dynamic calculations would slow down a server to a crawl. Remember that you have 64 people firing, with a lot of fully automatic weaponry.

No matter how good the ping prediction is, it will never be able to predict all the network fluctuations and randomness.

There is a certain room for error in the ping stuff due to the default sampling rate of dedicated servers in UE3 (30 tickrate). The network side of the ping delay can be probably be gotten pretty accurately through traditional means.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There has been an epic conversation about this in a server today.Most of the people want lag compensation :rolleyes:, but it's true that it could be a server issue, since I test my ping with http://www.pingtest.net/[url]http://www.pingtest.net/[/URL] in a UK server and I get 40 ms, I enter a Ro server in the UK and I get 90-100 ms?

Most people clearly don't know what's good for them.
If you are using dedicated servers, there is no need for lag compensation (imo). If your ping is 2-3 times higher than everyone elses - then you need to find a better server, a better connection, or get used to it.

It may have been a problem with RO getting on a good server with a good ping, but given how successful HOES is going to be that should hardly be an issue.

Your ping to a SpeedTest server is always going to be lower than your ping to a gameserver, unless that gameserver is idle and a similar distance away.

I ping (for example) The Wild Bunch servers (45-50 people, infantry/CA maps) before connecting at around 50, which is similar to my SpeedTest ping.
Once I get into the server I generally ping 70+ depending on the map though it can go much higher, particularly on vehicle maps where it's not uncommon for it to be over 100ms.

Upvote 0