• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PAX Interview (sorry, gonna have to read :P)

So just to clarify if i got this right if one person mans a tank he will be allocated 3 AI crew which in turn will come out of the total allotted players ?

Does the AI crew all tanks if real players decide not to?

ie if only four real player decide to be tankers and we are allocted 5 tanks would the fifth tanks would be crewed totally by bots ?

or would we be allowed an extra infantry man ?and run with only 4 tanks

Upvote 0
@Ramm

You're stating my exact point, that team tanking means taking away a player from some other place, be it another tanker in another tank or a rifleman on the field.

What happens for instance in tank only maps? It was stated that people never have to wait in spawn for a new tank to appear. This means that when no tanks are available that there probably will be a tank made available.

This means that its theoretically possible in a 64 player tank only map to have 64 tanks. In such a tank only server if the AI is as good as told then team tanking is a severe handicap to the team. As that means one less tank being used effectively.

Or in the case of a CA map when team tanking will only take some infantry man away. That's still one person less fighting in the cap zone and in the trenches.

People will definitely team tank because it's fun to drive in a tank together with your friends. But by doing so they actually will be decreasing a teams chance for success. One of the reasons why many tankers want to tank alone currently is because having a second person in their tank is more of a hassle than a benefit.

---------------------------

I'm fine with how things are. It's just that I hoped to see was an increased advantage and stimulant to work as a tank team. So that having 2 human players in a tank would be as strong as 2 single manned tanks. So that people would be encouraged to be in a tank together as it would give the team a good advantage.

The sole reason why I stopped playing RO on public servers was the change in the cap system, from needing say 10% of the people in a cap zone to start capping, to only needing 1 person more than there are enemies in the zone.

This meant that it became easier to cap some deserted distant cap zone all by yourself, and that for a team it became easier to capture multiple cap zones at the same time. Which meant that maps started to need a bigger focus by channelling people to the same cap zones resulting in less options and choice in which cap zone to attack.

Upvote 0
@Ramm
What happens for instance in tank only maps? It was stated that people never have to wait in spawn for a new tank to appear. This means that when no tanks are available that there probably will be a tank made available.

Does it? I'd of thought it would be more likely that you'll simply be able to spawn into an active tank taking the place of an AI crew member. As Ramm stated, the number of tanks available is limited by the number of tank commander roles, so I very seriously doubt we'll be seeing 64 tanks rolling around on a 64 player map.

Upvote 0
Excellent m8 (if I may call you mate), I haven't read through the thread but I am more than pleased that you were well received.

This interests me more than most...

Tanks Only?"yes, one of the 10 stock maps currently in development will be focused completely on amour…..so tanks only, and this time there’s enough tanks to go around!"

When the penny eventually dropped and I understood that there would be no bailing out of Tanks, I was worried and went into deep thought.
I came to the conclusion that only Tank Vs Tank scenarios could merit a no bailing out attitude.

No one has mentioned the exploit (IMHO) were a team member or two may bail out of their Tank in a cap-zone while the driver maneuvers his tank to attract enemy fire, leaving the bailed and discreet crew members to slowly achieve their evil goal, with a little help from my friends :D.
Bearing this in mind, I understand the no bailing out attitude.

I might be barking up the wrong tree.

Trick of the trade.

Thanks for the Tanks and a fine piece of reporting.

...☻...:IS2:...☻... couldn't resist a little IS2:p

Upvote 0
@Ramm
I'm fine with how things are. It's just that I hoped to see was an increased advantage and stimulant to work as a tank team. So that having 2 human players in a tank would be as strong as 2 single manned tanks. So that people would be encouraged to be in a tank together as it would give the team a good advantage.

Remove the AI from the game and you'll get what you want: having just 1 player in the tank - takes more time to switch positions, etc. etc.

So, to tell the truth, I don't really understand the reason behind AI introduction. From one point, it adds, so to say, a more realistic feel, as tanks had crews of more than just 1 person. From the other point, it adds a lot of problems, such as the one mentioned, where playing as a tank team with a friend makes no sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Ramm

This means that its theoretically possible in a 64 player tank only map to have 64 tanks. In such a tank only server if the AI is as good as told then team tanking is a severe handicap to the team. As that means one less tank being used effectively.

The sole reason why I stopped playing RO on public servers was the change in the cap system, from needing say 10% of the people in a cap zone to start capping, to only needing 1 person more than there are enemies in the zone.

Zets:

For the first point here, I can see the math you're trying to point out, that having at least 1 human per tank is probably going to be more effective than having 3 of those humans get in the same tank (therefore leaving 2 tanks to all-AI crews). However, what if in reality, if the benefit to additional human crew members is exponential? Perhaps the more humans you add, the capability grows more than the raw numbers suggest? We'll have to wait and see if that's the case, but judging from ROOST, the AI never can come close to the effectiveness of a human crew.

On the second point, I agree that the mod system felt a lot more natural and realistic. But maybe Tripwire has seen the light and is going back to the old system? Once again, hold out hope Zets.

Upvote 0
Im still trying to get this straight

If you only get one person in tank you get extra infantry - OK so 4 tanks of 1 + 60 infantry

but that means a if a team has multi players in a tank they'll actaully wind up with less players 4 tanks of 3 + 52 infantry ?

I thought it was all on alloctation so even AI come out of pool otherwise less the multi player tanks have to have a massive advantage or it would be best to single and extra infantry ?

Upvote 0
Ok, so there are a few inaccuracies here:

- There are FOUR playable positions with separate commander/gunner for tanks that had them (although this is subject to change during further development)
- SP and MP campaign mode are not exactly the same. We haven't revealed much info on the SP.
- If a human dies in a tank in countdown they will take over the position of one of the living AI as long as that AI is manning a playable position.

For Zets - Your thinking about tanks like RO1 still. It doesn't work like there are ten tanks and ten tanker roles causing you to lose a tank if people team tank. If there are ten tanks there are ten tank commander roles, and if a tank commander unlocks their tank, tank crew roles dynamically become available. So the choice is never between having more or less tanks, rather you have to decide how to allocate your players between infantry and vehicles. If you team tank, you might have one less rifleman, but your tank will have an edge over other tanks. No-one will ever leave the spawn without a full crew either AI or human or a mix, and we won't provide the ability to disable AI vehicle crews, as it is unnecessary in this system.

You guys are genius! :IS2::IS2:

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info.
Can't wait to see that press footage of the FallenHeroes map thing.

In addition, unfortuantely it seems to me like RO:HOS is going, in some point, to become America's Army(2) with all the server rank (honor in AA) restrictions and such.
Good and old players will have their own servers where admins put progress / ranking restrictions causing new players and low ranks not being able to join in and having to find noobish, less populated low rank servers.
DONT DO THAT!

Upvote 0
TGood and old players will have their own servers where admins put progress / ranking restrictions causing new players and low ranks not being able to join in and having to find noobish, less populated low rank servers.
DONT DO THAT!

I don't think it will take long to rank up, and its more a tool to "protect" people who don't know the Map Layout from the Veterans.

Upvote 0
Does it? I'd of thought it would be more likely that you'll simply be able to spawn into an active tank taking the place of an AI crew member.

You can spawn in a tank whether someone is in there or not when they are available I was talking about the situation when tanks are unavailable aka locked. As I think that a lot of people will make use of that feature. I doubt that TWI would let 12 players remain unable to spawn as the other 20 tanks on their side are all locked. (as in a tank only map you logically cannot spawn as a non tanker, as then it wouldn't be a tank only map).

As you cannot let people spawn without a tank aka in tank only maps there needs to be a tank for every single person if every individual person can lock his tank.

Zets:
For the first point here, I can see the math you're trying to point out, that having at least 1 human per tank is probably going to be more effective than having 3 of those humans get in the same tank (therefore leaving 2 tanks to all-AI crews). However, what if in reality, if the benefit to additional human crew members is exponential? Perhaps the more humans you add, the capability grows more than the raw numbers suggest? We'll have to wait and see if that's the case, but judging from ROOST, the AI never can come close to the effectiveness of a human crew.

On the second point, I agree that the mod system felt a lot more natural and realistic. But maybe Tripwire has seen the light and is going back to the old system? Once again, hold out hope Zets.

Even in Roost without any crew members at all having 2 solo tanks is more effective than a single tank manned by 2 persons. The AI of ROHOS tankers should be good enough to be better than having no team members at all. This means that solo tanking can only get a bigger advantage over team tanking compared to roost.

The old cap system wasn't perfect either, but in my opinion for public play at least a lot nicer than the current system. Although personally regarding capping system I hope to get a cap system that depends on what ground you cover rather than how many people you put in an area.

Remove the AI from the game and you'll get what you want: having just 1 player in the tank - takes more time to switch positions, etc. etc.

So, to tell the truth, I don't really understand the reason behind AI introduction. From one point, it adds, so to say, a more realistic feel, as tanks had crews of more than just 1 person. From the other point, it adds a lot of problems, such as the one mentioned, where playing as a tank team with a friend makes no sense.

I don't say remove AI from the game, I say allow a server to optionally have no tanker AI or bots whatsoever on the server so that there is a bigger reason for team tanking, due to the position switching delay. But RammJaeger has sadly clearly said that it will never be an option.

I just hope I can pre-rotate the turret to a certain angle and then become the main driver without the AI suddenly rotating the turret so I'll loose my angle and shooting the mg and main cannon so I lose my element of surprise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can spawn in a tank whether someone is in there or not when they are available I was talking about the situation when tanks are unavailable aka locked. As I think that a lot of people will make use of that feature.

You cannot let people spawn without a tank aka in tank only maps there needs to be a tank for every single person if every individual person locks his tank.

That's true. I completely forgot about the locking feature.

I guess I'm as clueless as everyone else then. I still find it hard to believe they'll allow every individual tanker to have their own tank though. Otherwise it'd surely be a no-brainer to solo tanks and possibly get a significant numerical advantage. Maybe the tanks will just be forced open to all if there aren't any other tanks available.

Last edited:
Upvote 0