• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Movie] Stalingrad (2013)

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalingrad_%282013_film%29" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalingrad_(2013_film)

Anyone else heard about this? Being directed by the same guy who made 19th Company (which was a pretty good film). I have a feeling this is going to be good.

No, I hadn't... thanks for the heads up!

I really do hope it's good... the love story part gives me cause for concern, but if he's read Life and Fate, I hope he manages to channel the proper atmosphere.

EDIT: Just realized it's to be timed with the 70th anniversary of the battle... it BETTER be good!

EDIT2: Then again... anyone know of a war movie with a love story that actually WAS good?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, I hadn't... thanks for the heads up!

I really do hope it's good... the love story part gives me cause for concern, but if he's read Life and Fate, I hope he manages to channel the proper atmosphere.

EDIT: Just realized it's to be timed with the 70th anniversary of the battle... it BETTER be good!

If the love story is anything like the one in Enemy at the Gates, I will facepalm into oblivion. But seeing as its Fedor Bondarchuk, it will probably be pretty good. Lets hope so anyway.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Phew, a genuine movie. I was afraid it was going to be a remake of the 1993 flick with cuddly communists with walkie-talkies instead of guns.

Also, I call bull**** to 3D.
The Stalingrad from 1993 is one of my favourite war movies. Y u no like it? :mad:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this film. I don't like the "love story" bit they added there, but Thomas Kretschmann is in the cast, so it can't be bad :IS2:

And it will be out in the 70th anniversary of the end of the battle, so it must be glorious. I hope it has an ending like the 1993 Stalingrad film. I've watched it dozens of times and I still can't hold all my feels :p

Upvote 0
As an ex-Downfall Parody Maker, I'm happy to see Thomas "FEGELEIN, FEGELEIN!" Kretschmann in the cast, though I am sad that he gets a lot of Nazi roles. (Stalingrad 1993, Downfall, etc.)

I do wonder why it's a love story in Stalingrad, though. :confused: I can't see how another mushy love story in the middle of a battle could be more interesting than the battle which the mushy love story takes place! It's Stalingrad, dammit! It's in the Guinness Book of World Records as the number #2 bloodiest battle in world history*, with between 750,000 and 1,800,000 fatalities! Actually, most of the battles listed on there were on the Russian front, with the siege of Leningrad being third!

Besides, we can pretty much guess the story:

Hans: Gerda, meine fraulein!
Gerda: Hans, mein herr!
*battle rages* :IS2:
Hans: Ich bin tot! GAAAAAAAHK!
Gerda: NEEEEEEIIIIIINN!
*Celine Dion sings a song, roll credits*

$10 says that's the plot in a nutshell. :D Anybody want to place their bets? :p

*By the way, for those interested, the #1 Bloodiest Battle in World History was, according the Guinness, the Brusilov offensive in World War 1. 2,000,000 Fatalities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Set pictures

rest here :)

http://englishrussia.com/2011/09/01/the-russian-movie-about-the-battle-of-stalingrad/

stalingradmovie006-31.jpg

stalingradmovie006-25.jpg

stalingradIMG_1318.jpg

stalingradIMG_1294.jpg

stalingradIMG_1316.jpg

actors-new-russian-film.jpg

view-set-new-film.jpg

Upvote 0
Besides, we can pretty much guess the story:

Hans: Gerda, meine fraulein!
Gerda: Hans, mein herr!
*battle rages* :IS2:
Hans: Ich bin tot! GAAAAAAAHK!
Gerda: NEEEEEEIIIIIINN!
*Celine Dion sings a song, roll credits*

$10 says that's the plot in a nutshell. :D Anybody want to place their bets? :p

My guess is it will probably about a Russian soldier falling in love with a girl trapped in the city. A German officer kidnaps her, culminating in a epic John Woo style fight between the German Officer and the Russian soldier.

PS. At least this film isn't being directed by John Woo. Anyone who was unlucky enough to see Windtalkers will remember just how bad that movie was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another love story set in Stalingrad... :rolleyes:

I'll definitely give the movie a chance, as I usually collect all WWII themed media (including lackluster hits like the previously mentioned Windtalkers and Enemy at the Gates), but God help me if it becomes the main attraction of the movie (no pun intended).

Thomas Kretschmann is an awesome actor but his role in that awful Resident Evil movie has tainted his credibility for me forever. :p

Upvote 0
Whoops, sorry about the ambiguity guys. What I meant was that I was relieved that the movie in the thread title wasn't a remake with cuddly C's and walkie talkies of the 1993 flick, which I too liked very much.
Ah, good you also like it. Now we can understand each other :D

Stalingrad (1993) final scene - YouTube
How can anyone call this a crap movie?

Upvote 0
Ah, good you also like it. Now we can understand each other :D

Stalingrad (1993) final scene - YouTube
How can anyone call this a crap movie?
Agreed.

Such a sad movie. They captured the brutality of the battle so well. The futility the Germans face as the movie closes is just heart wrenching. I hope the new one is similar to the 1993 one.

Upvote 0