• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "anything" thread

Not everyone happens to know physics well enough to have better insight how certain things work, so you could cut some slack from the technological department. Like this part:

AK rounds most likely will go through US body armor at close range.

Can you name a single piece of modern military infantry equipment that will reliably stop rifle\AR under ranges say ~500 yards or so? Flak jackets are designed to give simply better survivability at certain ranges and whenever you blow up you, your body or the remains of it are far more easier to retrieve for identification, strip all your gear back or if you survived well, hopefully patch you in some state. And even those said flak jackets can provide somewhat reliable survivability for shrapnels up to only certain weight and velocity, and once it's beyond that you're in for a hot ride. :)

Of course **** and weird things happen from time to time, but since you cannot predict anything beyond educated guess in such situations it's easier to expect when it happens they will induce appropriate problems to say the least.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Explain if you could.

He's probably shaking his head because Iraq and 9/11 have nothing to do with each other AND because Osama is dead and Al Qaeda are in shambles. The insurgency now as it stands is (inadvertently, of course) a US creation.

If you want to help the Iraqis and Afghans create stable government and bring the order of law to their lands, that's great! But don't try to tether it to 2001 and don't try to pretend you're making US soil significantly safer.

Upvote 0
Modern rifle plates can stop repeated hits from 7.62x39 or 5.56x45mm no problem. Even rounds like 7.62x54R can't really penetrate, although they will probably break some ribs through the plates. I've read firsthand accounts of people who have survived being sprayed in the chest by full auto 7.62 AKs with nothing but bruises.

Hell, there are even some heavy plates that can stop armor piercing .50 BMG bullets at this point, though I don't think the US military uses them.

Of course, none of that stops you from dying if you happen to get hit in the head, or an artery that isn't covered by your plates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
He's probably shaking his head because Iraq and 9/11 have nothing to do with each other AND because Osama is dead and Al Qaeda are in shambles. The insurgency now as it stands is (inadvertently, of course) a US creation.

If you want to help the Iraqis and Afghans create stable government and bring the order of law to their lands, that's great! But don't try to tether it to 2001 and don't try to pretend you're making US soil significantly safer.

With respect, the Middle-East is more complicated. As recent events (i.e. the Arab Spring Revolution) have shown, what happens in one part of this region frequently affects another. Global security has changed radically even within the last decade, and a direct link between cause and effect is often much harder to ascertain due to the myriad of concerned parties and the increased scale of terrorism.

Overly ardent/simplified arguments for either side of this issue suffer for lack of actual information in such a complicated affair.

In the interest of this thread's intentions, I'll go ahead and add that I finished reading Ivan's War by Catherine Merridale today. It was one of the best researched books on the Eastern Front that I have read, and will remain a recommendation of mine to those interested in learning about the often-stereotyped Red Army. It is especially a good thing that some historians (like Merridale) have taken the time to conduct extensive interviews with veterans in Russia. Unfortunately World War II veterans are becoming harder to find, and it is particularly important in Russia considering the decades of Soviet censorship that followed the war.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

In the part he quoted from my post, I never even mentioned Iraq. If you read it again, I mentioned Afghanistan, Yemen, and Mali. Both of you seemed to have misread what I wrote.

And so what if Osama is dead? We got our revenge yes, but Al-Qaeda is alive, especially in Yemen and Mali. Even though they were pretty much demolished in Afghanistan, they are still out there. You can't leave any left or they will multiply and take advantage of the uneducated kids of the Middle East.

My aspiration is to see the Afghan forces take over, not have us in that godforsaken ****hole forever. That's what I want to assist with.

Unless I join Xc or Triple Canopy, there isn't anything I can do in Iraq. You can't say that our action hasn't been crippling terrorism and insurgency. They are on the verge of giving up the fight at this point based on leaked interviews with Talib leaders.

And it is completely tethered to 2001. The Taliban sheltered Al-Qaeda, and they were behind 9/11. Not to mention that women are totally screwed under Talib rule. You can't not feel sympathy towards them.

As an analogy: why build a wall far away from a smelly disgusting bacteria and insect infested cesspool of water when you could just take care of the issue yourself? Afghanistan is a cesspool of uneducated kids that need to be educated so that they don't get taken advantage of by insurgents and terrorists looking for fighters and suicide bombers.

Upvote 0
Modern rifle plates can stop repeated hits from 7.62x39 or 5.56x45mm no problem. Even rounds like 7.62x54R can't really penetrate, although they will probably break some ribs through the plates. I've read firsthand accounts of people who have survived being sprayed in the chest by full auto 7.62 AKs with nothing but bruises.

Hell, there are even some heavy plates that can stop armor piercing .50 BMG bullets at this point, though I don't think the US military uses them.

Of course, none of that stops you from dying if you happen to get hit in the head, or an artery that isn't covered by your plates.

I have to admit I kind of forgot all the varieties of ceramic plates and their respective advancements in the field so I'll stand out corrected a bit here.

Upvote 0

The bullet-proof vest has come a long way since its inception.

The bullet-proof cargo pants remain an unspoken idea.

Upvote 0
Unbelievable bravery. Imagine.. trusting your life to what we would consider frighteningly rudimentary equipment. What an amazing existence he had. I would say rest in peace, but Mr. Armstrong doesn't strike me as one who is much for rest. I'm sure he's out exploring the deepest reaches of the universe.

Caution: huge pic inside.
Spoiler!

Upvote 0
too bad about Neal Armstrong. i'll never forget watching that mission and seeing him take the first step on the moon.
it's wierd, i was on the USS Hornet, the carrier that picked up the Apollo crew, at the time he died. heard the news when i got home.
anyone visiting the s.f. bay area would be advised to take a tour on the Hornet. it's a truly impressive floating museum.

Upvote 0