• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "anything" thread

continued from the TOP10 games thread discussion about females in games

I'm talking about serious games. You'll never see a fat Elizabeth in BioShock: Infinite, no ugly Lara Croft, no midget Alyx with lepra and no 14-year old Elli with adiposity in The Last Of Us. And I'm really happy about that. Being fat is not something one should be proud of. If it's an illness then it's different, same if you're one is only a bit "plump", but being really fat and even being proud on that or at least doing nothing against it is disgusting in my opinion and rightfully considered so. Same with being ugly. I don't know many people who are simply downright ugly as a matter of fact. It's just that many of those people just don't care about their looks and so look like hobos instead. And again I'm happy that society discriminates such people, IF they are crossing lines. Of course every individual has a right of fulfil oneself, but once that ends up as public disturbance it goes too far. So if I see someone like this on the street/subway:

tumblr_lqhq29NDKc1qkl2pjo1_400.jpg

Would I make fun of this person (as in making some wow nerd joke; if I was with friends at that moment)? Most likely. Most people probably would, whether that is openly or just in their thoughts. And in my opinion this is the damn right thing to do. There is society and there are wide borders of what is acceptable, but if you go outside even those borders then you deserve to be despised by society or at least shouldn't be surprised if that happens.

And before anyone feels offended, I'm talking about real extremes here like the meme nerd here.

*edit* Additionally to the gaming part above -> I don't want old-school mega-tits sexualized women in games either. Of course one or the other exception like Bayonetta is no big deal and since the majority of gamers are young-to-middle aged males it seems to be sales-efficient. I'd still rather go with average-relatively hot. Attractiveness doesn't just come through with boob size and butt emphasis. Alyx is slightly above average, yet she is probably attractive to most players. In The Last Of Us you have 14-year-old Elli who is basically Ellen Page from Juno and while she wasn't huge on feminin curves she still had something making her attractive. And that is the best way to go imo - "good enough" from an optical point of view, but also fleshed out with personality that really makes you like that specific video game character.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In The Last Of Us you have 14-year-old Elli who is basically Ellen Page from Juno and while she wasn't huge on feminin curves she still had something making her attractive. And that is the best way to go imo - "good enough" from an optical point of view, but also fleshed out with personality that really makes you like that specific video game character.

sobchak.png

Upvote 0
So its cool to criticize people for their imperfections because yours are less obvious?
Again, I was talking about extremes. Every one of us has imperfections, I was talking about huge self-imposed "imperfections" that usually go hand in hand with rejection by society. Seeing how some old friends who you might have categorized as nerds(overweight, rts freak, acne) in early high school managed to jump over the gap by simply having enough willpower who are now highly social and sympathic, good-looking people has consolidated my opinion.

Life is only hard if you make it so.

*edit* yeah I saw that pedophile joke coming already

Also, before anyone comes with the "but you have to love yourself the way you are" argument. Of course that is true, but most people will like themselves more if they can think of themselves good-looking, well-educated and popular(and NO, don't start with the "I'd rather have 5 really good friends than 50 superficial friends" arguement, of course that is true, but the optimal way is to have both a handful of really good friends you know and trust and then still loads of other connections), all factors which generate self-confidence. Someone who is happy with making mirrors shatter due to his unkemptness and spends all his life on WoW simply does not know any better.

These people just need to get a taste of what life can be and take that as motivation to improve their lifes. Like I said, I've seen that happen before and I'm always like "Wow, he looks like a whole different person now", it really amazes me. If the person doesn't have enough willpower to do so then he/she is simply too weak and doesn't deserve any better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When it comes to games with set character models of course character designs that appeal to the biggest possible audience will be what you see. In games with character customization I think more freedom is better, not every character is meant to be an underwear model. The more variables the players can control, the more variety you'll see in-game.

Upvote 0
And before anyone feels offended, I'm talking about real extremes here like the meme nerd here.

So apparently extremes which you are bound to encounter only OTI or at best few times in a blue moon IRL are such dangerous threaths to existence of mankind?

Also, before anyone comes with the "but you have to love yourself the way you are" argument. Of course that is true, but most people will like themselves more if they can think of themselves good-looking, well-educated and popular(and NO, don't start with the "I'd rather have 5 really good friends than 50 superficial friends" arguement, of course that is true, but the optimal way is to have both a handful of really good friends you know and trust and then still loads of other connections), all factors which generate self-confidence. Someone who is happy with making mirrors shatter due to his unkemptness and spends all his life on WoW simply does not know any better.

Define universal concept of something better and optimal in face of suboptimal standards of human preference(s).

Reactions: Dr. Pierre Chang
Upvote 0
So apparently extremes which you are bound to encounter only OTI or at best few times in a blue moon IRL are such dangerous threaths to existence of mankind?
Where did I say it as a danger to mankind?

Define universal concept of something better and optimal in face of suboptimal standards of human preference(s).
Please translate

Upvote 0
And again I'm happy that society discriminates such people, IF they are crossing lines. Of course every individual has a right of fulfil oneself, but once that ends up as public disturbance it goes too far. So if I see someone like this on the street/subway:
[pic of some pimpled dude]
Would I make fun of this person (as in making some wow nerd joke; if I was with friends at that moment)? Most likely. Most people probably would, whether that is openly or just in their thoughts. And in my opinion this is the damn right thing to do. There is society and there are wide borders of what is acceptable, but if you go outside even those borders then you deserve to be despised by society or at least shouldn't be surprised if that happens.

Well, as a "real extreme", **** you!:IS2:

Although you're right, of course. Despising fat people and discriminating them is totally acceptable. They're basically the last minority you can openly mock (if you're counting heads. If you're weighing them they're not the minority, right? Haha) and even better: openly hate!:)

First of all, it's their own fault that they're fat. Oh boohoo, my childhood sucked too. No excuse to fatten up! You're basically doing them a favor by not accepting them and making them feel miserable! Maybe they'll do something about it then!

Second of all, as long as we, as a society, keep hating them and keep showing them how disgusted we are we are keeping their self-esteem to a minimum! This ensures that they leave the pretty people alone and it's the only efficient, long-term but non-violent way to keep the fatties at bay!
The alternative would be a six months notice to lose the weight and upon failure to comply: Drowning! Sounds horrible, right? The current system prevents this. It works (at least for now) and it's better for everybody!

And thirdly, they don't band together. They don't even nod at each-other when they pass each-other on the sidewalk (if they can even pass each-other, ololol, amIrite? High five!). It's every fatso on their own, in every imaginable sense. And that's how it should be.

Basic rules of society we all subscribe to (even and especially the fatties! The only thing most fatties hate more than themselves is someone fatter than them! Disgusting slobs, right?) aside, just for the sake of argument! Accepting that there are quite a few fat pigs out there: Shouldn't they get a nod in games too?
I'm not saying make a game with a fat protagonist. No one wants to see that, but maybe give us the option of playing as a fat person if there is extensive character customization anyway?

I loved that I could play a fat character in the Fable games. Would have loved it more if the attractiveness suffered a lot more from it, for verisimilitude's sake (don't patronize me, Lionhead Studios! We both know Mary, the fun-loving, chubby store-owner wouldn't have a floating heart over her head for some fatso. Even if he is really good at farting :p), but it was still pretty awesome. Heartwarming even!
As much as I hate the combat in Fable 2 and as little I care about most of the quests, I spent a lot of wonderful time in that game.:(

In Skyrim the "weight" slider won't even let you make a hot, pudgy chick, let alone a fat character, and nowhere in all of Tamriel is there any fat person. Perfect world, eh? But personally, I would have liked it better with some fatties strewn about.

Upvote 0
Not sure if serious.

In any case, like I said, hardly anyone would want to play an extremely fat person in a serious game. They way you make it also just sounds like "Lol fat guy with sword beating dragons, so hilarious". That's why I said optimal in my eyes is portraying an appearantly average guy/gal with deep personality however, as that probably is what comes closest to the average gamer(excluding 13year old cod players) or at least what most of them would like to be.

And I'm not hating people outside of those borders, I merely do not take them seriously as equal beings, because they appearantly have chosen to go this way or are too weak/afraid to get up on their feet and grab life at its fullest.

And again, I can not stress this enough, (but people will ignore it anyways so they can argue against me) by those extremes/'outside the borders of society' I'm talking about people like I defined them in the long post above. I don't count average, slightly overweight and unhappy cassier joe into that category, I'm really talking about extremes here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. Pierre Chang
Upvote 0
In any case, like I said, hardly anyone would want to play an extremely fat person in a serious game. They way you make it also just sounds like "Lol fat guy with sword beating dragons, so hilarious".
It should sound like "Lol, me going on adventures". Or in case of Fable: "Lol, me having a family with two kids. Also: Swords!"
But sure, if there is a demographic who wants to play as some fatso because it's "so hilarious" that too would be a reason to make it an option.

And I'm not hating people outside of those borders, I merely do not take them seriously as equal beings, because they appearantly have chosen to go this way or are too weak/afraid to get up on their feet and grab life at its fullest.
Oh ok, for a second there I thought you... YOU WHAT?

I'm really talking about extremes here.
I really am one of those extremes here. That's not some fatso from uglypeople.com I have in my sig because he's so hilarious, that's me.

Not sure if serious.
d it is then.
d34fc96f.gif

Upvote 0
Life is only hard if you let inconsequential-superfiscial-haven't-got-a-clue dumbf**s make it so.
Fixed that for you.

Btw. don't you work with troubled youth or something? Hopefully, I'm thinking of someone else on the forums. 'Cause I'd seriously have to wonder if they were troubled before or after mentoring from you......

Upvote 0
That's why I said optimal in my eyes is portraying an appearantly average guy/gal with deep personality

Ironic, considering that you're so shallow you could drown in my dog's bowl of water.

Fixed that for you.

Btw. don't you work with troubled youth or something? Hopefully, I'm thinking of someone else on the forums. 'Cause I'd seriously have to wonder if they were troubled before or after mentoring from you......

heh

It's like the age-old question: are you a worthless piece of s*it because your dad beats you, or does your dad beat you because you're a worthless piece of s*it?

Reactions: SiC-Disaster
Upvote 0