• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Image] The Picture and GIF thread

My brother's sense of fun wasn't just the insane firefights. It was also in helping people, installing security, making them feel safer in a post-Saddam world, etc., despite how we (the US) actually turned their world upside down and helped install insurgency.
Interesting. Your brother then is more like the humanitarian type of military, like the UN Peacekeepers? I know a guy who joined the Brazilian UN troops in Haiti, but he hasn't returned yet. That's something to admire. Though you still look like you're looking for glory, Alex, no offense :p

It's just that most people that claim they are patriots have a wrong concept of patriostism. Most of them think they should just follow whatever their leaders say, when it isn't so. Patriots fight for their people, not for the government or for hungry corporations, so sometimes fighting these is more patriotic than fighting your government's enemy. That's why I don't find the argument of patriotism really valid for US soldiers fighting on Iraq. Patriots act on defense.

I'm not a fan of patriotism though, I think all countries should work together for the development of humanity as a whole, with well-funded international scientific programs and an international space program. Our space technology is extremely obsolete, and we need to found a new colony as soon as possible if we ever want to avoid our eventual extinction. People never think about really long-term problems and throughout history that has led to their doom many times. I considered myself a patriot once, but the separatist type of patriot, joining a few separatist groups (which are plenty here in RS, part of our culture, actually :p).

What exactly is a redneck?
That guy who lives in the countryside, owns a lot of guns and hates black people. The typical American stereotype. Don't worry, we have the same guy here in Brazil (well, at least here down south, where the Brazilian stereotypes don't apply at all), but guns here are harder to get and hunting is not a common sport.

tumblr_ldye94q7Sj1qej8gyo1_500.png

Can't even tell you how many times my dad did this to me.
Tell me about it. My family used to actually made me make the sandwich. That's why I stopped asking what we'll have for dinner.

Upvote 0
Interesting. Your brother then is more like the humanitarian type of military, like the UN Peacekeepers? I know a guy who joined the Brazilian UN troops in Haiti, but he hasn't returned yet. That's something to admire. Though you still look like you're looking for glory, Alex, no offense :p
The invasion part only lasted a few weeks in 2003. The rest was humanitarian and insurgent clearing. Sure he went out on patrol everyday looking for bomb-makers, guys with too much electrical wiring, illegal weapons, etc, but they would also hand out bottles of water, give them soccer balls, and all that stuff. Coalition forces didn't just kill over there. Look at what we have done in Afghanistan:
_55788115_afghan_10yrs_on1.gif

Look how many kids, and especially girls, we've put into school, and all the roads we've paved, and the electricity that has been brought back.

I'm here to tell you I don't want to go for glory. I need to know what it's like and I just need to be there. I appreciate life, but I hear war gives survivors a REAL appreciation for life.

It's just that most people that claim they are patriots have a wrong concept of patriostism. Most of them think they should just follow whatever their leaders say, when it isn't so. Patriots fight for their people, not for the government or for hungry corporations, so sometimes fighting these is more patriotic than fighting your government's enemy. That's why I don't find the argument of patriotism really valid for US soldiers fighting on Iraq.
That's against what mainstream America considers patriotism, however.
Patriots act on defense.
Ehh...not necessarily in the way I believe you're referring to.

I'm not a fan of patriotism though, I think all countries should work together for the development of humanity as a whole, with well-funded international scientific programs and an international space program. Our space technology is extremely obsolete, and we need to found a new colony as soon as possible if we ever want to avoid our eventual extinction. People never think about really long-term problems and throughout history that has led to their doom many times. I considered myself a patriot once, but the separatist type of patriot, joining a few separatist groups (which are plenty here in RS, part of our culture, actually :p).
NWO?

That guy who lives in the countryside, owns a lot of guns and hates black people. The typical American stereotype. Don't worry, we have the same guy here in Brazil (well, at least here down south, where the Brazilian stereotypes don't apply at all), but guns here are harder to get and hunting is not a common sport.
Huh...because I keep hearing rednecks are in the north, then I hear they are in the south, then I hear it's because they wear plaid, or they have a huge beard, or a disgusting accent, or most commonly because it's assumed those with the accent fornicate with their sisters. If a redneck is just someone who lives up north, I can assure you, most people in northern Maine have never seen a black man before.

And hunting in Maine isn't necessarily a sport, either. It's survival for a lot of Mainers. Not everyone goes to grocery stores to buy processed and packaged meat and water bottles.

Upvote 0