• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do you block ads?

At present, I don't block advertisements on any platform. If I could, I would block them on mobile, but I don't have a functional solution there. I find mobile and desktop to offer very different experiences with advertisements.

On mobile, I'm hampered in my response to advertisements by the size of the screen and the nature of the UI. I'm also peppered by well meaning but misguided first-party app widgets, where sites constantly try to shuttle me off to their app, which is invariably not available for Windows Phone anyway. This sort of first-party hijacking isn't handled by any of the mobile ad management solutions I have access to. If I could never encounter a page widget, a hijack, or an autoplay advertisement on mobile again, I would happy. I know that a very small portion of the ad revenue which sustains a site comes on mobile, so rejecting those advertisements isn't as damaging.

On desktop, it is simpler. I have a giant screen, I have a mouse, my browsers give me a lot of control. If I run into an autoplay advertisement, I can always hit back, or close the tab. Almost all free sites depend upon advertising because there is no viable alternative - you don't have to work in technology to recognize this, but my own experiences demonstrated this clearly - and on top of that, smaller sites tend to use smaller networks (Project Wonderful) or friendly ad exchanges, which are often far more relevant for you, and much less likely to be generic advertising. I used to find new comics and indie game developers all the time, via banner advertisements on niche sites.

Of course, I recognize that I'm not a typical user. First, I do a lot of browsing from computers running Linux, so I'm less susceptible to malware. Second, I have experience in the technology industry including free services, so I understand where the advertising fits into the business model. Third, I don't consume a lot of video, finding reading to be much more efficient, so I can avoid a lot of new media as well as minimize my Youtube content. I don't block on desktop because the advertisements don't hurt me.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry to hear that, but Youtube abuses ads so badly, that I cannot not block it. Also even if I did, you would still lose job, because 1 from 100s of millions is nothing.

No pop ups and at the worst you're watching something else for 15 seconds. Some ads now are a 1 question survey that you can do in 3 seconds and skip instantly anyway. Other sites are way worse.

Ads work as a source of income when they aren't blocked. Dunno we you've been in the past couple of years but ads have become more subtle, better structured and feel like less of a waste of time. Adblock is what made things like youtube red. It's what has forced YouTubers to use things like patreon and paypal donations. And even G2A ref links the most unethical key reselling website.

And yeah everyone says "I'm just one guy". If everything thought the other way.

Upvote 0
Post a link here to the next website/network you are working at. I promise I will visit it daily and randomly click on some ads for you :D

Not how it works but alright lol.

When you watch/click on youtube ads money goes to all sorts of people. The guy who made the video gets the most. Then youtube then the network. For video ads the longer you watch them the more money you are giving. Without of course giving anything other than a few seconds of your time.

Upvote 0