• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A histories bolt and gun against the zombies

theta123

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Let us all admit it

we like bolt action rifles and semi auto pistols/revolvers from WW2 and before!
but we also like zombies

Imagine you are in a gunstore with nothing but bolt action rifles and pistols/revolvers from ANY nation before 1945! Suddently a zombie outbreak begins and you realize you need to arm yourself. You find out you can carry one bolt action rifle and one pistol, along with ammo, bayonet and various accesoires

For the bolt action rifle, you need to think.you can get as much ammo as you carry in the gunstore, but will you find ammo for it later on? Also think about your bayonet, it can safe your life!

Same goes for the semi auto pistol. Take a powerfull .45ACP? or a versatile 9mm?

Think about magazine capacity, bolt manipulation and these things! Also think that this happens in YOUR country! The ammo you find in gunstores in europe and North america is vastly diffrent, because cartiges are varying popularity!

For me, i would take the Lee-enfield SMLE No 1 MKIII.
For the following reasons=
-10 round magazine
-Fast bolt manipulation
-Awesome and long bayonet
-.303 is a reasonably popular cartigde in Belgium

SHOULD a SMLE not be avaible, i would take a Schmidt rubin K31. It is better then SMLE in every way, exept magazine capacity. But it easier to load with stripper clips. 7.5x55swiss is pretty popular here and awesome bayonet aswel.

As for the pistol, i would take a browning Hi-power, or an FN GP as it is named here.
-9mm ! very avaible
-13 round magazine capacity
-Used by Belgian police and army, thus ready accesable ammo and spare parts

US:
Rifles: 30-06 caliber (because 30-06 was soooo prevalent)
Either a Winchester Model 70
or the M1903A3 Springfield (Because of its 5 round capability.

Pistol:
Has to be the Springfield Armory 1911 (in .45ACP of course).

While it may only hold 7 rounds vs your 13 rounds, you're still going to come up short. Why? you may ask? Its gonna take 2 rounds of your puny 9mm to drop that zombie. One round from my .45acp will "blow his head clean off" (to steal a phrase from Clint)....(He was talking about his .44magnum. I know, I know :p)

Also, 9mm was not a popular caliber in the US at that time. .38 or .45 would have been. A .38 would just plain suck...... Perhaps a .38Super would work, but I don't think that caliber had been 'invented' yet.

Upvote 0
Well... not a boltie, but the M1 Carabine is recommended by the "bible" i.e. Zombie Survival Guide as the best all-round weapon against the undead horde - good enough range, plenty ammo and small enough to swing around in tight spaces.

If you get caught indoors while scavenging food, with a full-size rifle you're basically screwed :p

Upvote 0
US:

While it may only hold 7 rounds vs your 13 rounds, you're still going to come up short. Why? you may ask? Its gonna take 2 rounds of your puny 9mm to drop that zombie. One round from my .45acp will "blow his head clean off" (to steal a phrase from Clint)....(He was talking about his .44magnum. I know, I know :p)
The reason why i would take a 9mm over a .45ACP is because 9mm is very very very VERY common here. The .45ACP is much and much more difficult to find

true, i admit, i would take a .45ACP over a 9mm. But finding ammo is important if you wanna stay up :)

Upvote 0
You know, I'd probably just skip on the rifle altogether and bring a 1911 and a C96 M712. I wouldn't want to shoot zombies outside the effective range of the pistols anyways, better just to sneak past.

I'd also be seriously hoping to find a 1897 trench gun with the ginormous Enfield bayonet somewhere along the way during my travels. For close encounters.

Upvote 0
If bolt actions are the only option? Probably an M1917 Enfield since it's 30-06, which would have been the only common ammo other than 30-40 Krag, it has a 6 round mag, it's tougher than the Springfield IMHO, and it mounts a British sword...I mean the Enfield bayonet. If ammo weren't an issue it'd be the Swiss K31, or Lee Enfield due to rapid bolt manipulation.

The pistol would be either a .45, or a Browning Hi-Power.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bah!!! All you pathetic right-handers and your snobby "right hand only" bolt actions!!!

I'd pick myself a real mans weapon and get myself a nice old Wincester lever action. One of those which were able to take the more powerful smokeless cartrages. Yeeee haaaaw!

As for pistols if we're in that time period a nice webley revolver should do it. Nice bullet calibre not to light, not to heavy, good, accurate, solid, reliable revolver which was common before mr Churchull f**ked everything up and threw away everything that was good about British weaponry, and replaced it with crappy American clones (crappy copies of crappy weapons! Gah)

Upvote 0
Ruger 10/22 Full Auto.."that's HOT" - YouTube
no bolt, but i think this one would be very effective.

Ugh... The 10/22 is a real cheap, fun gun to shoot, but you'd be insane to use it for self-defense (against armed humans). Combine the very likely need to fire a second, third, or fourth shot to bring someone down with the likelihood of a failure to feed even with mags with decent feed lips, or a stovepipe, and you're just asking for trouble. At least it's pretty accurate. Full auto helps too. :D

Against zombies, a jam is more forgivable given their slow gait, but if I'm backed up in an alley or surrounded, I'd rather not have to muck around prying brass out of my gun...

I'd pick it without question in a wilderness survival scenario though. Light, accurate, simple action... A 10/22 will feed you to the brim on squirrels, no question. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rifle would be a toss-up between my No.4 Mk.I (easy handling, fast loading, serviceably accurate and powerful plus moderately common ammo for milsurp in Australia) or my 91/30 (more reach with the bayonet, more accurate, ammo is not as common but I know where to find it, and before too long will be restored to PU sniper condition so it'll have a decent optic on it too). Probably the 91/30... I'd be trying to avoid having to use it where necessary, and if the DayZ mod for ArmA 2 has taught me anything over the last week it's that other survivors are dicks and I need to be more worried about them than zombies :p

Of course, if we're talking period ammo too, the Enfield becomes the only choice. No 7.62x54r here back in those days! An M1897 or Stevens trench gun would be great as well, though I'd be dubious about arming myself with a shotgun when I might need to reach out a bit.

For a pistol I'd go with a Hi-Power. Great gun, common ammo. Not really much more that needs to be said there. Decent 9mm ammo delivers similar if not equivalent damage to a hardball .45 ACP, with more capacity. In any case, shot placement is the decider.

Spetsnaz - I take it you're referring to the .280 round and EM-2? I could verbally lust over it for hours. We have one at the Lithgow small arms museum and it is absolutely beautiful, heartbreaking what happened to the project.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Spetsnaz - I take it you're referring to the .280 round and EM-2? I could verbally lust over it for hours. We have one at the Lithgow small arms museum and it is absolutely beautiful, heartbreaking what happened to the project.

Aye, It is indeed a bloody shame. Our FN FALS where first also chamberd for the .280 round, and i met a man who once tested it back in the 50's. He loved it. It was The perfect combination of everything.

Upvote 0
Um, I don't know what I would pick because to my knowledge there's no common ammo here (Canada). But it you think you could pull it off in Belgium... Anyway, my plan always involved stockpiling weapons in a farm in Vermont or something, anything close to home.

I guess I'll start with pistols. First thing, I have no experience with guns. Any. So my first reflex would be to grab a revolver over a magazine-pistol, just because there's no disassembly involved for jams and such. I hope. As for caliber... 0.38? Smith & Wesson maybe?
Smith & Wesson Model 10 cal. 38, or S&M M1917 .45 ACP

Rifle: Lee-Enfield, .303 can't be hard to find in a Commonwealth nation can it?
Then again, if I'm travelling to the U.S., maybe a Springfield to take advantage of the .30 - 06

Upvote 0
Um, I don't know what I would pick because to my knowledge there's no common ammo here (Canada). But it you think you could pull it off in Belgium... Anyway, my plan always involved stockpiling weapons in a farm in Vermont or something, anything close to home.

I guess I'll start with pistols. First thing, I have no experience with guns. Any. So my first reflex would be to grab a revolver over a magazine-pistol, just because there's no disassembly involved for jams and such. I hope. As for caliber... 0.38? Smith & Wesson maybe?
Smith & Wesson Model 10 cal. 38, or S&M M1917 .45 ACP

Rifle: Lee-Enfield, .303 can't be hard to find in a Commonwealth nation can it?
Then again, if I'm travelling to the U.S., maybe a Springfield to take advantage of the .30 - 06
.30-06 is everywhere in Canada, .303 too, and ammo in general is readily available. If in doubt, head to Alberta. :D

Upvote 0
Um, I don't know what I would pick because to my knowledge there's no common ammo here (Canada). But it you think you could pull it off in Belgium...

Well actually not so many gunstores here. But the ones i visited all had=

Very good supply of .22, 9mm, .357,.38 and 7.62x51 NATO(or .308)
good supply of .223, 5.56 nato, .303 british(Pvri mostly), 7.62x56R,7.62x39
decent supply of other rifle calibres(like 7.92x57 mauser)

Upvote 0
aw%20black%20lh.bmp

This. But in .303

Alternatively a smelly since Enfields are common here.

I haven't got a clue what's common for a sidearm in this state, but i'm guessing since the police use revolvers i'll take one of those.

Upvote 0
SKS is technically a WWII gun, it saw field tests. Extremely reliable semiauto rifle.

As for the pistols, something hi-cap. Failing that, Lahti 9mm.

A silenced+scoped .22 would be great too.
As far as it being inadequate for killing humans, you know which caliber most people are murdered with? That's right.
"Stopping power" is largely a myth anyway for reasonable caliber pistols firing FMJ.

Best wishes,
Daniel

Upvote 0