Forum Rules

• Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

A histories bolt and gun against the zombies

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A histories bolt and gun against the zombies

Let us all admit it

we like bolt action rifles and semi auto pistols/revolvers from WW2 and before!
    but we also like zombies

Imagine you are in a gunstore with nothing but bolt action rifles and pistols/revolvers from ANY nation before 1945! Suddently a zombie outbreak begins and you realize you need to arm yourself. You find out you can carry one bolt action rifle and one pistol, along with ammo, bayonet and various accesoires

For the bolt action rifle, you need to can get as much ammo as you carry in the gunstore, but will you find ammo for it later on? Also think about your bayonet, it can safe your life!

Same goes for the semi auto pistol. Take a powerfull .45ACP? or a versatile 9mm?

Think about magazine capacity, bolt manipulation and these things! Also think that this happens in YOUR country! The ammo you find in gunstores in europe and North america is vastly diffrent, because cartiges are varying popularity!

For me, i would take the Lee-enfield SMLE No 1 MKIII.
    For the following reasons=
    -10 round magazine
    -Fast bolt manipulation
    -Awesome and long bayonet
    -.303 is a reasonably popular cartigde in Belgium

SHOULD a SMLE not be avaible, i would take a Schmidt rubin K31. It is better then SMLE in every way, exept magazine capacity. But it easier to load with stripper clips. 7.5x55swiss is pretty popular here and awesome bayonet aswel.

As for the pistol, i would take a browning Hi-power, or an FN GP as it is named here.
    -9mm ! very avaible
    -13 round magazine capacity
    -Used by Belgian police and army, thus ready accesable ammo and spare parts

Rifles: 30-06 caliber (because 30-06 was soooo prevalent)
    Either a Winchester Model 70
    or the M1903A3 Springfield (Because of its 5 round capability.

Has to be the Springfield Armory 1911 (in .45ACP of course).

While it may only hold 7 rounds vs your 13 rounds, you're still going to come up short. Why? you may ask? Its gonna take 2 rounds of your puny 9mm to drop that zombie. One round from my .45acp will "blow his head clean off" (to steal a phrase from Clint)....(He was talking about his .44magnum. I know, I know )

Also, 9mm was not a popular caliber in the US at that time. .38 or .45 would have been. A .38 would just plain suck...... Perhaps a .38Super would work, but I don't think that caliber had been 'invented' yet.

If you have to find ammo as you go, Floyd's post is pretty much the end of the thread. No sense bringing calibers you can't find.

BUT, ignoring that rule, I would pick the Enfield as well, with either a Luger with a drum magazine or a C96 M712 machine pistol with detachable mags.

Well... not a boltie, but the M1 Carabine is recommended by the "bible" i.e. Zombie Survival Guide as the best all-round weapon against the undead horde - good enough range, plenty ammo and small enough to swing around in tight spaces.

If you get caught indoors while scavenging food, with a full-size rifle you're basically screwed

Graviteam - for the true Grognard.

Seriously the M1 Carabine?

You would probably end up with a military or police weapon (in Germany that would be a G36 and 9 mm pistols, you could do worse :/)
          Peace has cost you your strength! Victory has defeated you! - Bane

Originally posted by Floyd View Post

While it may only hold 7 rounds vs your 13 rounds, you're still going to come up short. Why? you may ask? Its gonna take 2 rounds of your puny 9mm to drop that zombie. One round from my .45acp will "blow his head clean off" (to steal a phrase from Clint)....(He was talking about his .44magnum. I know, I know )
            The reason why i would take a 9mm over a .45ACP is because 9mm is very very very VERY common here. The .45ACP is much and much more difficult to find

true, i admit, i would take a .45ACP over a 9mm. But finding ammo is important if you wanna stay up

You know, I'd probably just skip on the rifle altogether and bring a 1911 and a C96 M712. I wouldn't want to shoot zombies outside the effective range of the pistols anyways, better just to sneak past.

I'd also be seriously hoping to find a 1897 trench gun with the ginormous Enfield bayonet somewhere along the way during my travels. For close encounters.

Anything .22LR.

You can carry thousands of rounds without a problem, zombie bones are brittle and you have to shoot them in the head anyways.

Originally posted by [TW]schneidzekk View Post
                  Anything .22LR.

You can carry thousands of rounds without a problem, zombie bones are brittle and you have to shoot them in the head anyways.
                  Ruger 10/22 Full Auto.."that's HOT" - YouTube
                  no bolt, but i think this one would be very effective.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][COLOR="Gray"][I] i7 3770K@4.3ghz; 8gb ddr3 1333; gtx770; 2x1TB hdd@raid0 + 128gb 830 SSD; win7 64bit[/I][/COLOR]

A .22 is nice for zombies but you will probably have to shoot other armed humans at some point.

If bolt actions are the only option? Probably an M1917 Enfield since it's 30-06, which would have been the only common ammo other than 30-40 Krag, it has a 6 round mag, it's tougher than the Springfield IMHO, and it mounts a British sword...I mean the Enfield bayonet. If ammo weren't an issue it'd be the Swiss K31, or Lee Enfield due to rapid bolt manipulation.

The pistol would be either a .45, or a Browning Hi-Power.
                      Last edited by User Name; 05-02-2012, 08:44 AM.
                      "A patriot is a man who bleeds for the benefit of his country, not the man who bleeds his country for his own benefit"

Bah!!! All you pathetic right-handers and your snobby "right hand only" bolt actions!!!

I'd pick myself a real mans weapon and get myself a nice old Wincester lever action. One of those which were able to take the more powerful smokeless cartrages. Yeeee haaaaw!

As for pistols if we're in that time period a nice webley revolver should do it. Nice bullet calibre not to light, not to heavy, good, accurate, solid, reliable revolver which was common before mr Churchull f**ked everything up and threw away everything that was good about British weaponry, and replaced it with crappy American clones (crappy copies of crappy weapons! Gah)
                        Over 4 years and still can't get signatures to run!

Originally posted by tixhal View Post
                          Ruger 10/22 Full Auto.."that's HOT" - YouTube
                          no bolt, but i think this one would be very effective.
                          Ugh... The 10/22 is a real cheap, fun gun to shoot, but you'd be insane to use it for self-defense (against armed humans). Combine the very likely need to fire a second, third, or fourth shot to bring someone down with the likelihood of a failure to feed even with mags with decent feed lips, or a stovepipe, and you're just asking for trouble. At least it's pretty accurate. Full auto helps too.

Against zombies, a jam is more forgivable given their slow gait, but if I'm backed up in an alley or surrounded, I'd rather not have to muck around prying brass out of my gun...

I'd pick it without question in a wilderness survival scenario though. Light, accurate, simple action... A 10/22 will feed you to the brim on squirrels, no question.
                          Last edited by Nikita; 05-02-2012, 11:46 AM.
                          Classic forever.

Rifle would be a toss-up between my No.4 Mk.I (easy handling, fast loading, serviceably accurate and powerful plus moderately common ammo for milsurp in Australia) or my 91/30 (more reach with the bayonet, more accurate, ammo is not as common but I know where to find it, and before too long will be restored to PU sniper condition so it'll have a decent optic on it too). Probably the 91/30... I'd be trying to avoid having to use it where necessary, and if the DayZ mod for ArmA 2 has taught me anything over the last week it's that other survivors are dicks and I need to be more worried about them than zombies

Of course, if we're talking period ammo too, the Enfield becomes the only choice. No 7.62x54r here back in those days! An M1897 or Stevens trench gun would be great as well, though I'd be dubious about arming myself with a shotgun when I might need to reach out a bit.

For a pistol I'd go with a Hi-Power. Great gun, common ammo. Not really much more that needs to be said there. Decent 9mm ammo delivers similar if not equivalent damage to a hardball .45 ACP, with more capacity. In any case, shot placement is the decider.

Spetsnaz - I take it you're referring to the .280 round and EM-2? I could verbally lust over it for hours. We have one at the Lithgow small arms museum and it is absolutely beautiful, heartbreaking what happened to the project.
                            Last edited by ross; 05-04-2012, 11:58 PM.
                            Current name ingame - [COLOR=LightBlue][B]killallmkb42s.exe[/B][/COLOR]

Originally posted by ross View Post
                              Spetsnaz - I take it you're referring to the .280 round and EM-2? I could verbally lust over it for hours. We have one at the Lithgow small arms museum and it is absolutely beautiful, heartbreaking what happened to the project.
                              Aye, It is indeed a bloody shame. Our FN FALS where first also chamberd for the .280 round, and i met a man who once tested it back in the 50's. He loved it. It was The perfect combination of everything.