• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

I am thinking of getting a Mosin Nagant mainly because they are so cheap. That and the history behind them. But I am new to shooting, and the biggest round I shot was 7.62x39. How does 7.62x54R compare? Twice as much recoil? I can handle my AK fine, but I am not sure how I would take the larger caliber.

I am mainly interested in the full size 91/30. I am sure the recoil on the carbines would be too much for me. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am thinking of getting a Mosin Nagant mainly because they are so cheap. That and the history behind them. But I am new to shooting, and the biggest round I shot was 7.62x39. How does 7.62x54R compare? Twice as much recoil? I can handle my AK fine, but I am not sure how I would take the larger caliber.

I am mainly interested in the full size 91/30. I am sure the recoil on the carbines would be too much for me. :p

Well, I really would not worry about the recoil. Unless you are like 4 feet tall and weight something like 60 pounds. :)

The recoil of 7,62x54R is not that big. Of course it

Upvote 0
Ok, I think I'll keep an eye out for a cheap one. If my gun store sells small amounts of ammo for a cheap price, I will get it.

I might be able to pick up an M44 for $100. No tax or anything either, since it is a private seller. I'll see how it goes.

Edit: The top dark one is the one that I might be getting:

IMG_4556.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Picked up this CZ-75B today and really like it. An extremely underrated line of handguns.

CZ-75B.jpg

This thing is seriously awesome. It feels well balanced, the ergonomics are excellent, feels like a tank, and the action is really smooth. The sights are similar in size to my Glock 19's and they even glow in the dark!

CZ-75BGlockRuger.jpg

I'm not too big on the safety as I'm a lefty with pistols but I figured I'll never be carrying it to it wasn't a big deal. It's definitely made my 19 feel alot lighter. The trigger in DA mode is definitely a bit rough but not something that bothers me much. SA mode has some take up but breaks pretty cleanly.

I'm extremely happy and will definitely be looking at more CZ's in the future.

Upvote 0
Sorry to drag the thread away from pics but I've got a newbie question of my own for the vets.

Are gun shows usually the best way to go for cheap surplus rifles? I went to a local gun shop today and they had several Nagants, Enfields, and others but the guy behind the counter (who was a bit of an asshole) said they weren't selling anything for less than $270. Besides being out of my price range for my first rifle that also seemed like a massive ripoff considering similar ones are available online for $80. I don't have a C&R FFL of course though so ordering anything online would be quite a hassle.

There's a 60 table gun show not too far away next weekend and a 100 table one the weekend after that. Are cheap milsurps pretty easy to find at shows or would I be better off setting up a dealer transfer and ordering something online (and waiting some weeks for shipping :()? By cheap I mean ideally around $100 but I'd be willing to go up to $200 or so for something worth the money.

Upvote 0

Depends on the rifle, if you get say a 91/30 you'll experience recoil which I'd describe as a good sturdy push. With the M38 or M44 you'll be looking at something a bit harder. If you can handle an AK you should be fine, recoil is recoil, it's all about holding the gun right then it doesn't matter.

I might not be the best person to ask though, I'm usually concentrating too hard on my target to even notice nor care about recoil. I also really don't get the complaints about recoil from rifles like the M44, never had an issue with it myself, I take my Polish M44 to the range every time I go, it's a real hoot and holler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I will be buying 200 plus rounds of 7.62x39 on Monday, and I will be right at a Big 5. I heard they sell decent and cheap Mosins, so I might have a look there.

I think I'll stick with a full length to.

Also, to the poster above, at the gun show see if you can find someone who is privately selling. Or look on an online site to see who is selling nearby. I got my AK off of Calguns.net (we met in person and did the PPT).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How much did that Carbine cost? Ever since I held the Auto Ordnance one a few months ago, I really wanted one. It felt really nice and light.

I got it for 900. A little higher than I wanted but it was in great condition. Depending on the condition and manufacturer you can find them for between 600 to a few thousand for some of the more rare ones.

Upvote 0