• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

Really? I was going to go for the M&P because it was cheaper ($420 at Big 5 new), but everything felt so plastic. I was at a Big 5 where I saw it and was looking at an airgun (SIG P2022), and it felt more like a real gun than the M&P! So I decided I'd get a GSG.

But the M&P is a great rifle from what I hear.

I'd consider getting one, but I'd rather wait for the Saiga .22 :D:

[url]http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/04/14/saiga-22-new-rifle-from-izhmash/[/URL]

Upvote 0
Really? I was going to go for the M&P because it was cheaper ($420 at Big 5 new), but everything felt so plastic. I was at a Big 5 where I saw it and was looking at an airgun (SIG P2022), and it felt more like a real gun than the M&P! So I decided I'd get a GSG.

But the M&P is a great rifle from what I hear.

I'd consider getting one, but I'd rather wait for the Saiga .22 :D:

[url]http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/04/14/saiga-22-new-rifle-from-izhmash/[/URL]

There's a Saiga product I'm going to buy eventually ... but it ain't a .22 ... :D

As for the M&P being plastic ... well, hell, so's a Glock, and this is just a .22 for God's sake. The controls all work the way they're supposed to - unlike the Colt - and the barrel's a match grade from Thompson Center. So, yeah, I went with the M&P.

Some weekend come on down this direction, there's a great range I know in Mariposa.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welp, finally got it. Here's some pix!

The scope is just a cheapo 10-40x50 varmint scope - the primary use of this rifle will be slaying ground squirrels, I think. The VFG is on there for when I take the scope off and put the iron sights back on, and in order to put it on or take it off, I have to remove the bipod, so I just decided to leave it on.

1001585c.jpg

1001586n.jpg

1001587.jpg

1001588c.jpg

1001589u.jpg

1001590n.jpg

1001591t.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is one large scope!

I think my next gun will be an SKS, but I went shooting, bought some ammo and other stuff, so I don't have the money at the moment. :(

Big 5 had a good sale on SKS a couple weeks back. I was tempted, but resisted. I've still got a bunch of 7.62x39 laying around from when I had a Mini-30.

The scope is actually way too big. I need a riser for it. I can get a decent cheek weld with it where it's at, but it's really not comfortable, and when I adjust the parallax, the front objective actually rubs on the rail. Can't keep it like that for too long or it'll start wearing away at the rail!

It's too much scope for this gun no matter what - a .22 won't reach any range where you need 40x - but I don't think I'd trust it on anything with too much recoil, y'know? But hey, I'll be able to get a good look at the squirrels I put down. :D

Upvote 0
They have decent looking Yugos at mine as well, on sale for $400 + fees.

So they're not a good deal, even with a sale + coupon.

If I can get the cash in the next few months, I can pick up a nice looking Yugo SKS for $350 (same guy who sold the GSG to me). Comes with 5-6 high cap rebuild kits and an extra black stock in addition to the original rifle/parts.

So if I were you, I'd just look somewhere else, you can probably get one for far less.

Upvote 0
I think it will be fine as its just a .22.

Not sure how good this is, but today I shot a few mags through the GSG.

The groups were just a bit bigger than than 1 inch at 25 yards.

Not bad, considering I was emptying the mag in around 20-30 or so seconds.

Hm. 2 to 3 seconds to aim in between shots, then, since you're limited to 10-round magazines in California ... ;)

Any optics on the GSG, or just the iron sights? I love the H&K sights. Yet one more reason I miss my G3. :(

Upvote 0
Just the normal sights that came with the gun.

And yes, 10 round mags.

You really need high caps and a place to rapid fire the gun. My mag goes empty just when I start to have fun. :(

I started shooting a bit too rapidly, and the RSO asked me to stop rapid firing. :eek:

I found a Marlin MD 80 .22 bolt action on Calguns, and I am interested in buying that. Looking like a nice little gun.

Upvote 0
Just the normal sights that came with the gun.

And yes, 10 round mags.

You really need high caps and a place to rapid fire the gun. My mag goes empty just when I start to have fun. :(

I started shooting a bit too rapidly, and the RSO asked me to stop rapid firing. :eek:

I found a Marlin MD 80 .22 bolt action on Calguns, and I am interested in buying that. Looking like a nice little gun.

I'd like a bolt action 22, too. Or a .17HMR, except that the ammo is so damn expensive. My neighbor has a Marlin Model 60 .22 he wants $125 for, but ... I dunno, it's a semi, and I've already got 2 semi 22's snow. Only thing it's got going for it is that it's got the 17-round tube magazine from back in the old days.

Upvote 0
Oh, wow.

took the 15-22 out today. My god, round for round, this is the most fun I've ever had behind a trigger.

I couldn't go to the range I wanted to go to today - it's about 2 hours to the north, and I had to be somewhere 40 minutes south - so I went to a pistol range in Fresno. Their longest lane is only 22.5 yards, but that turned out to not be a really bad thing.

I had the large-sheet targets that have five small round targets on them. Thing that kind of sucks is that my eyesight is starting to go. I'm only 33, but I've been seeing a serious change over the past 5 years or so, and at 22.5 yards I was having a hard time even seeing the bullseye.

The sights weren't even close, out of the box. It wasn't that hard to set the rear sights (they're just A2 style, so I brought the sight back to the center line), but the FRONT sight ... that's a whole different story. I'm glad that I bought an adjustment tool for both A1 and A2 sights! It took probably 8 turns or so to get even in the neighborhood.

The scope ... sucks. It sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks SUCKS. I figured that, since it was a cheapo, I didn't trust it so much for 5.56 recoil or 7.62x54 ... but it doesn't even hold up so well to .22! Problems started with focussing: I couldn't get it to focus at such a short range, but at only 10x it wasn't too blurry. I got it - seemingly - dialed in pretty well, and then I'd reload. The first 6 rounds or so of the new mag would be in the same hole, but the last 4 would be all over the place, up to 4-6 inches away from the center.

So, yeah. I'm thinking about getting a BSA Sweet 22 to replace it. Although, looking at some of the reviews, the problem may just be with the rings. I might try it again with better rings and a riser, and then see how it goes.

Upvote 0
If you want a scope for a .22, look at the Primary Arms one:

http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=205&categoryId=156http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=205&categoryId=156

Read the reviews on AR-15.com. Very good scope for the price. Not sure if the specs fit your needs though.

The PA Aimpoint clones hold zero on 12G pump shotguns, so I am guessing this is of similar durability.

I heard they were coming out with an ACOG look alike scope, but I can't find it on their website. Would be great for the MP15-22 though.

Upvote 0
If you want a scope for a .22, look at the Primary Arms one:

http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=205&categoryId=156http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=205&categoryId=156

Read the reviews on AR-15.com. Very good scope for the price. Not sure if the specs fit your needs though.

The PA Aimpoint clones hold zero on 12G pump shotguns, so I am guessing this is of similar durability.

I heard they were coming out with an ACOG look alike scope, but I can't find it on their website. Would be great for the MP15-22 though.

Looks good, but it just doesn't have enough magnification for me. I'm going to be using this at 100+ yards. I need at least 16x at the top end.

I am interested in an imitation ACOG, though... Been looking at a couple ACOG look alike red dots.

Upvote 0