• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I'll Show You Mine If You'll Show Me Yours (Part Deux)

The possession of high capacity magazines is not illegal. You would only have to use 10-rounders if you have a M1 Carbine in paratrooper configuration, in which case you would need it to have a magazine lock/bullet button. If it is a registered assault weapon, you can use whatever magazines you want.

The way a 15 round magazine would be legal in California is if I owned the magazine before the ban took place and had it regestered as a high capacity magazine with the state. If I didnt own the 15 round mag before the high capacity ban, its illegal. If I owned the 15 round mag before before the ban but didnt register it, its illegal.

If I owned a m1 carbine in paratrooper configuration before the ban and had registered as an "assault weapon" I would be able to use the 15 round magazine.

But sense both of my m1 carbines are in standard ww2 configuration (no bayo lug, solid stock) and I bought them after the high capacity ban, I cannot own or use the 15 round magazines that came with them. I bought the rifles online from a seller out of state, he could not send the magazines to me. As a resident of california I cannot buy a 15 round magazine from another person living in california and I cannot have a 15 round magazine shipped to me from out of state. If the BATF decided to show up at my door and audit me and saw a few 15 round magazines he would ask for my paperwork that proved that those 15 round magazines are registered. If I had no proof that those 15 round magazines were registered, they would be illegal and I would be thrown in jail. Plain and simple.

15 rounders are illegal in california, unless you had the individual magazine regestered or had the entire assult weapon registered.

you need to check your gun laws, what youre typing out doesnt make any sense at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The way a 15 round magazine would be legal in California is if I owned the magazine before the ban took place and had it regestered as a high capacity magazine with the state. If I didnt own the 15 round mag before the high capacity ban, its illegal. If I owned the 15 round mag before before the ban but didnt register it, its illegal.

Nope. There is no registration for magazines. None whatsoever.

But sense both of my m1 carbines are in standard ww2 configuration (no bayo lug, solid stock) and I bought them after the high capacity ban, I cannot own or use the 15 round magazines that came with them. I bought the rifles online from a seller out of state, he could not send the magazines to me. As a resident of california I cannot buy a 15 round magazine from another person living in california and I cannot have a 15 round magazine shipped to me from out of state.

You can own the magazines, and you can use them with an M1 carbine in stock configuration. This does not create an AW situation. (Your AW situation would arise using a >10 mag with a weapon that has a fixed magazine. Paratrooper version with removable magazines, unregistered = felony. Paratrooper version with fixed magazines <10 rounds, no registration required = legal. Paratrooper with fixed magazines >10 rounds = felony. Paratrooper version, registered = legal.)

As a resident of California, there is no PC that prevents you from acquiring a magazine in any fashion other than importation and manufacturing. The law bans exposing for sale, lending, manufacturing and importing. There is nothing in the law that prohibits you buying, finding, or acquiring in other ways. Further, the law does not bar the possession of >10 round magazines. If anyone tells you otherwise, ask them to cite you PC.

Actually, fine point of law: the law does not ban magazines. It bans devices capable of feeding more than 10 rounds of ammunition. A disassembled 15-round M1 Carbine magazine is simply a spring and a couple pieces of sheet metal. It cannot, in that configuration, feed any ammunition, let alone >10 rounds. Further, there is no constructive possession statute in California for magazine parts - or AW parts, for that matter.

(And, to make things even more interesting, if you were to manufacture or import or whatever a magazine that the law would apply to ... they'd have to prove that you did it within the last 3 years, because that's the statute of limitations.)

If the BATF decided to show up at my door and audit me and saw a few 15 round magazines he would ask for my paperwork that proved that those 15 round magazines are registered. If I had no proof that those 15 round magazines were registered, they would be illegal and I would be thrown in jail. Plain and simple.

Bull. ****.

Sorry, but that's just simply not true.

You need to join Calguns and get the right information.

15 rounders are illegal in california, unless you had the individual magazine regestered or had the entire assult weapon registered.

Again, sorry, no.

There's no registration for magazines whatsoever.

If you believe otherwise, cite me the PC. Or just ask DOJ's firearms bureau.

you need to check your gun laws, what youre typing out doesnt make any sense at all.

Nope. I know California gun laws. You need to review them again, though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe this is the main part of his argument.

To have something registered as an assault weapon in CA, do you need to have a Class 3 FFL?

No. FFL03 has zero to do with getting an AW permit.

There are a couple of primary ways of getting something registered as an AW in California.

The easiest way is to be a law enforcement officer with a letter from your department stating that you are authorized to have XXX weapon for use in the performance of your duties. At that point, you can buy the weapon specified in your letter. You can do the same thing for military use, but since the .mil doesn't allow privately owned weapons used for duty purposes, it'll never happen.

If you're an active duty servicemember on PCS orders to California, there is a form that you can submit to register weapons that you currently own before moving to CA. This form must be accompanied by a non-refundable fee, and it will almost certainly be denied.

If you own a movie prop house, you can get permits for this stuff too.

If you are a private citizen, you can certainly submit the application and the fee, but there is absolutely zero possibility that it will be accepted.

Upvote 0
No. FFL03 has zero to do with getting an AW permit.

There are a couple of primary ways of getting something registered as an AW in California.

The easiest way is to be a law enforcement officer with a letter from your department stating that you are authorized to have XXX weapon for use in the performance of your duties. At that point, you can buy the weapon specified in your letter. You can do the same thing for military use, but since the .mil doesn't allow privately owned weapons used for duty purposes, it'll never happen.

If you're an active duty servicemember on PCS orders to California, there is a form that you can submit to register weapons that you currently own before moving to CA. This form must be accompanied by a non-refundable fee, and it will almost certainly be denied.

If you own a movie prop house, you can get permits for this stuff too.

If you are a private citizen, you can certainly submit the application and the fee, but there is absolutely zero possibility that it will be accepted.

Thank you for cleaning up misconceptions while I was away.

Upvote 0
Accept that "registering to shoot" them post in the other thread. :p

Wich other thread?

Also got myself a M91/30 and a proper looking K31. My previous K31 lost half of its blueing and the stock was in bad condition.

The one i bought now has a beautifull stock and the metal is in tip-top condition! It is also tried and tested by the german testing bank, so i can get this kitten registerd in no time!

My previous K31 is an early production one, and im gonna put it nicely on the wall

Posting pics in a day or so

Upvote 0
Belated birthday present to myself.
'29 Tula m91/30. Appears to be force matched on a post-war refurb stock. Nothing very special except the bore looks like it was never issued. I'm working on the dish too. I know it's not "right", but it's getting there.

Looks like a hell of a dinner. Care to post the recipe?

I've got a 1929 Tula myself as well, but it's got (maybe) its original stock, since it's got the screwed-down sling slot escutcheons.

Upvote 0
Looks like a hell of a dinner. Care to post the recipe?

I've got a 1929 Tula myself as well, but it's got (maybe) its original stock, since it's got the screwed-down sling slot escutcheons.
Pre-war stocks are nice. I don't know if it's the original stock but it well may be in that configuration. I don't quite fully understand the whole story behind M91/Cossack/Dragoon repurposed to m91/30 yet.

Borscht has a lot of variations. I've only been using beets, cabbage, onion and beef but anything you have can go in there. Topping it w/ sour cream because I haven't felt daring enough to make my own smetana yet.

The bread is a vatrushka variant w/ mozzerella and chopped hard boiled egg. Basically sweet yeast dough w/ toppings in the middle and the edges rolled to make a boat. In comparison, traditional black bread is a lot more complex to make. Both these dishes are pretty simple but delicious as they are.

Upvote 0
Pre-war stocks are nice. I don't know if it's the original stock but it well may be in that configuration. I don't quite fully understand the whole story behind M91/Cossack/Dragoon repurposed to m91/30 yet.

A lot of the early rifles were converted to the 91/30 standard post 1930. Chances are very good that if you have a mid/late 1920's rifle it was originally built as a dragoon rifle, and converted to a 91/30, quite possibly post-war. Might have happened pre-war, but ... probably post-war. If it has the typical Ukrainian refurb marks, it was likely a Dragoon during the GPW. Probably. Maybe. Most of the rifles that today are 91/30's but date 1930 or earlier ... they didn't become 91/30's until the 1950's or later. 1970's even, some of them.

Borscht has a lot of variations. I've only been using beets, cabbage, onion and beef but anything you have can go in there. Topping it w/ sour cream because I haven't felt daring enough to make my own smetana yet.

The bread is a vatrushka variant w/ mozzerella and chopped hard boiled egg. Basically sweet yeast dough w/ toppings in the middle and the edges rolled to make a boat. In comparison, traditional black bread is a lot more complex to make. Both these dishes are pretty simple but delicious as they are.

This sounds quite tasty. I suspect I shall have to purchase some beets soon ...

Upvote 0