• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Best Assault Rifle

Yes, it's true that 5.56 isn't at it's best penetration at extreme close range, but with regular-issue M855, it's still very good.

And I'd still have a round that fragments violently up to 250m than a round that doesn't fragment at all.
At 250m the M855 will not fragment at all and will hit like a .22 LR at that range. The M855 will fragment less and less as it reaches its optimal fragmenting range.

I'm guessing by "stopping power" you mean "wounding capability", in which case, no, no it does not. Rounds that actually expand, fragment, or at least yaw violently are far better at producing big wound channels than 7.62, which tends to stay together and make a nice, neat 7.62mm hole through the target.
When it does fragment it leaves larger wounds but as I said fragmentation is a unreliable wounding mechanism and lacks the consistency of a 7.62x39 or say a .308.

7.62x39 is just a terrible cartridge all around. The bullet is something more suited to ~2800 FPS, but cut down to 1900, it fails utterly to fragment and therefore the wound profiles are completely unimpressive. SS109 5.56, on the other hand, will fragment very well up to and including 250 m out of a full-length barrel, even longer if you use the mk.262 open-tipped that's so popular among the US's SOFs.

Not to mention, a single 7.62x39mm round still weighs almost as much as two 5.56x45mm rounds. Probably why the standard soviet AKM-armed infantryman only carried 4 mags in a pouch.
Not as unimpressive as a 5.56 failing to fragment.

5.56 SS109 rounds can penetrate perfectly well, that's what the steel core is for. It can penetrate the standard NATO 3.45 steel armour plate up to 640 m, way beyond any assault rifleman's effective range.
Against steel but not concrete,windshields, or trees. Heck even a 9mm will over penetrate more then a 5.56 will in dry wall I saw a video. Both rounds the 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 are not perfect, they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[nitpick]

Physics 101: You mean that the bullet looses it's speed faster than other rounds? In other words it looses it's kinetic energy which then affects it's stopping power in a negative way :p
It doesn't drop faster.

[/nitpick]

That's technically correct: over time, they all accelerate downwards at the same rate.

What I was getting at was that not only is 7.62x39 significantly slower at the muzzle than 5.56, but it also loses velocity at a greater rate, meaning it's vertical drop over horizontal distance covered is much greater.

Ohh jolly good, here comes Mr. Sarcastic :rolleyes:

1) We are not comparing the 5.56x45 to the 7.62x39, we are talking about a whole new round that doesen't exist yet, hence, that whole novel you just wrote? it's swatting at figments of your imagination, and is useless to the debate.. i don't think you could have missed the point any harder if you tried.

Oh, really?

Start of Ermac's post said:
the 5.56x45 tries to be a jack of all trades, but as is common with such things, that just means there's nothing it really excels at... (Bunch of stuff about how 5.56 sucks, exaggerating it's shortcomings)

Middle of Ermac's post said:
If we look at the 7.62x39 by contrast... (bunch of stuff about how 7.62x39 rocks, downplaying it's shortcomings)

End of Ermac's post said:
Personally, i think the 7.62x39 comes clouser to what an AR needs than the 5.56x45,

Nearly his ENTIRE post was comparing the two, in only a few areas did he admit that 7.62x39 could be improved with the magic of "modern technology" but by and large it was contrasting 7.62x39 and 5.56x45. Re-read his post.

I even made the point that these so-called improvements that can be offered by "modern technology" won't do much as far as 7.62x39 goes. It won't get rid of it's inherent flaws, as numerous as they are.

2) Look up "hyperbole" sometime, maybe then you will grasp the "glorified .22lr" comment.

Ermac said:
At 250m the M855 will not fragment at all and will hit like a .22 LR at that range.

I suggest you look up "misinformation".

3) No, you do not get to compare exotic steel core AP rounds to bog standard, cheap as chips ammo as if that was a fair comparison.

Exotic? Just about everyone who uses 5.56 uses SS109 armour-piercing as their standard. You can buy it in bulk if you're in a country that allows it; it's cheaper than most civilian 5.56 ammo.

So yes, it's a fair comparison. It's the standard and has been for several decades. Maybe you should do a few minutes of cursory research before you go around making such idiotic statements.

4) Stop beeing a self-righteous douche,

There's a reason I'm self-righteous; I'm right. The reason I'm sarcastic (and the reason I'm sarcastic) is because I've basically seen Ermac's exact post a zillion times on a zillion different sites (never on gun forums though, I wonder why that is), and it gets a bit tiring when your opponent is just some guy regurgitating the opinions of some other guy he saw on TV.

nobody likes an E-thug, and all that bile you just spewed all over the floor is stinking up the place, and was utterly uncalled for.

And you're not spewing bile?

Straighten up, get on the same page as the discussion, and then maybe we'll have something to talk about..

Look in the mirror, buddy.

or do you honestly think that the 5.56 is the pinnacle of human achivement?

Good god no.

that it can in no way be improved upon? no? then what exactly is you objection to us debating how it might be improved?

That's fine, but Ermac was posting like it is absolutely worthless and 7.62x39 is superior, which is, as Soviet and Chinese military researchers had concluded when they adapted 5.45x39 and 5.8x42 respectively, a bunch of crap. I cannot abide by that kind of misinformation.

Now, if anyone would actually want to take off their stupids for a second and get serious about ballistics and coefficients and wound profiles, they're free to make a thread about it and I'll jump right in.

At 250m the M855 will not fragment at all and will hit like a .22 LR at that range.

Well... no. Not only does it have nearly 3 times the kinetic energy to throw around at that range than .22LR does at muzzle, it will keyhole, tumble (hint: .22 won't do any of that), and penetrate way more. The difference is of that between night and day.

The M855 will fragment less and less as it reaches its optimal fragmenting range.

Yes, which is still better than never fragmenting.

When it does fragment it leaves larger wounds but as I said fragmentation is a unreliable wounding mechanism

Which must be why most modern military rifle cartridges are designed to do that, right? Maybe you know something the guys that came up with German 7.62x51 or those soviets that thought up 5.45x39 don't.

and lacks the consistency of a 7.62x39

What, you mean being consistently bad?

or say a .308.

Funny story: one day, West German engineers realized that standard M80-style 7.62x51mm ball ammo didn't produce very good wound profiles, and more-or-less just punched right through and didn't make very big holes. So, emulating the design of 5.56x45mm NATO's bullets, they made the cannelure deeper and the jacketing thinner, and now it fragments violently and doesn't exit it's target! Wonder why they thought that we be an advantage?

Not as unimpressive as a 5.56 failing to fragment.

Which doesn't happen most of the time.

Against steel but not concrete,windshields, or trees.

Have any sources for that? I'm genuinely curious.

Heck even a 9mm will over penetrate more then a 5.56 will in dry wall I saw a video.

Ooh, you "saw a video". It all comes together.

So what? I don't get this; penetration isn't everything. Against soft targets, it barely matters so long as it penetrates enough to make it to something vital.

Both rounds the 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 are not perfect, they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

So let me get this straight. You'd rather have a round that:

- Weighs twice as much, meaning you carry half the amount.
- Recoils harder.
- Doesn't fragment or otherwise cause large wound channels.
- Isn't very accurate, meaning even fewer of your already-decreased amount of ammo is going to hit your target.

All for a bit of extra penetration? Hint: if you're trying to shoot at your enemy through concrete, something has gone horribly wrong with your training.

LemoN said:
Zeptorem's post is best discribed as an Epic Fail

I thought you weren't responding to me because I'm such an OMG EPIC troll?

Upvote 0
It's more-or-less one or the other, thanks to those dastardly laws of physics. You can't push a bullet faster without accelerated barrel wear and more recoil, and you can't just upscale it without increasing weight (and, again, recoil)
I am well aware of that, and I wasn't advocating that an increase in power couldn't happen without an increase in recoil or weight. Given that 5.56x45 has been consistently dogged with reports of it's poor stopping power since its inception I think a small increase in recoil in return for better hitting power can only be a good thing.

6.8 SPC is a great example, it's only slightly heavier to carry and has only a little more recoil than 5.56x45 yet it imparts 44% more energy into a target. I think at the least a caliber in this range of 6-7mm is worth looking at as I feel a better balance can be struck between recoil, weight and hitting power.

My point is there's always room for improvement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am well aware of that, and I wasn't advocating that an increase in power couldn't happen without an increase in recoil or weight. Given that 5.56x45 has been consistently dogged with reports of it's poor stopping power since its inception I think a small increase in recoil in return for better hitting power can only be a good thing.

6.8 SPC is a great example, it's only slightly heavier to carry and has only a little more recoil than 5.56x45 yet it imparts 44% more energy into a target. I think at the least a caliber in this range of 6-7mm is worth looking at as I feel a better balance can be struck between recoil, weight and hitting power.

My point is there's always room for improvement.

6.8 SPC has problems of it's own; seeing as it has to fit in 5.56x45mm magazines (and shouldn't weigh too much), the bullet is shorter and squatter than usual, and has poorer ballistic performance than 5.56x45, not to mention reduced accuracy.

Everything is a compromise.

Upvote 0
Also something to think about, is how psychologically confidant you feel with a rifle.

For example, the reduced recoil on the m16 feels like you're firing something quite weak & dont have to brace yourself for the recoil!

But the AK and its modern variants for example still keeps the classic design which you accomodate for. But the trade off is you feel more confidant that you have some serious fire-power in your hands!

Might make you wanna get stuck in a bit more! :p

Upvote 0
If a new calibre is adopted sometime in the future, the switch should be thorough. Meaning any thoughts on reusabilty of magazines and parts commonality with legacy guns and tooling should be cast aside.

Otherwise you just end up with a suboptimal choice that isn't worth the upgrade. The stanag magazines in use today are not that good in the first place.

6.8mm SPC is just that: a special purpose cartridge intended for limited use. Build on the premise of keeping the 5.56mm for standard issue. Should it become standard issue problems would arise with the magazine springs. In the end, new magazines would be required so you might aswell go all the way and choose something really new or possibly go for 6.5mm.

I have to side a bit with Zeptorem though: The 5.56mm kills people all the time and it's a calibre that people can shoot relatively accurate even under stress situations. We trained and tested that with G36 and with weak arms and firing from unsuitable situations (as is sometimes necessary, like firing left handed) you can do a lot of things you couldn't do with a G3. A round somewhere in between? Maybe a good idea, maybe you just seal one hole and dig another. Btw: I searched for 5.56mm bullets on the shooting range back then just for the heck of it and I never found one intact, only fragments. And that was always on 200m.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I suggest you look up "misinformation".
[URL="http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/term_fragrange.html"][URL]http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/term_fragrange.html[/URL][/URL]
Look at M885 20 inch barrel 140-150m.

Ooh, you "saw a video". It all comes together.

So what? I don't get this; penetration isn't everything. Against soft targets, it barely matters so long as it penetrates enough to make it to something vital.
YouTube - Gun Caliber Velocity Test[/URL]

Have any sources for that? I'm genuinely curious.
YouTube - Basic Urban Skills Training - Ballistic Penetration Tests[/URL] As you can see the 7.62x39 did penetrate better.

Isn't very accurate, meaning even fewer of your already-decreased amount of ammo is going to hit your target.
Not exactly tack driver material but certainly not "Isn't very accurate"
I shot that group yesterday with a Chinese AK at 100 yards.

Funny story: one day, West German engineers realized that standard M80-style 7.62x51mm ball ammo didn't produce very good wound profiles, and more-or-less just punched right through and didn't make very big holes. So, emulating the design of 5.56x45mm NATO's bullets, they made the cannelure deeper and the jacketing thinner, and now it fragments violently and doesn't exit it's target! Wonder why they thought that we be an advantage?
Atleast it does it better then the 5.56. On the flipside the exiting M80 7.62 could exit the enemy then kill the enemy on the other side of the wall.

Which doesn't happen most of the time.
[URL="http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/term_m855yaw.html"][URL]http://ammo.ar15.com/ammo/project/term_m855yaw.html[/URL][/URL]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Zeptorem i was referring to your post as an epic fail because of your cocky attitude and your unnessecary quote bashing

just writing: oh i dont agree with this because of ''insert argument of your choice here'' is just a term of politeness

creating walls of quotes and bashing them then one after another (with or without a reason doesnt matter here) isnt really apealing to the eye and lets your whole post look like a trolls post

that paired with your cocky attitude wont help you make yourself friends here and just screams FAIL

PS: wow that grouping really is bad ^^

Upvote 0
Quite the crappy group from 91.44 meters. Were you standing or proned?
Even a regular finnish conscript shoots better than that from 150 meters :p
[/offtopic]

And that's with a 7,62x39 (I think that's what the finnish RK uses?)
I'm not a soldier and I don't shoot regularly so let's see you do better. Proned. Yes the Finnish RK uses 7.62x39. I'm not saying it's the best group in the world but crappy is quite a stretch I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not a soldier and I don't shoot regularly so let's see you do better. Proned. Yes the Finnish RK uses 7.62x39. I'm not saying it's the best group in the world but crappy is quite a stretch I think.

Well I suck at shooting too, last time I fired real bullets was the end of the basic training. After that.... 10 months and I didn't fire a single real bullet. But I observed and directed arty fire better than that I tell you! :p

PS. My previous post wasn't a serious post. Just playin' with you ;)

Edit: The spread of the RK-62 at 150m is about the size of your thumb nail. It's not much imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Edit: The spread of the RK-62 at 150m is about the size of your thumb nail. It's not much imo.

Well, lets not forget you can't really compare accuracy between an RK-62 and a WASR-10, one is very high quality and modified for greater accuracy, the other is a semi auto Blunderbuss made out of discarded catfood lids and leftover timber that woulden't sell at the local lumberyard :D

Upvote 0

I never said 5.56 didn't have room for improvement (and I think I said it was Mk.262 mod 1 would fragment up to 250 in good conditions, but don't quote me on that).

I DO maintain, however, that saying 7.62x39mm is a superior assault rifle caliber is patently absurd. Fragmenting up to 150m is still better than no fragmentation at all.

That said... I don't exactly trust arfcom's judgement, for reasons I won't discuss here.

He was using, in that video, 55gr. FMJ; far cry from the 62gr., armour-piercing M855 round (lighter rounds typically yaw and fragment more, not to mention the one they tested had no steel penetrator).

Besides, the point of that video is that overpenetration is a bad thing; you can easily hit something you don't want to if you have to engage something between you and it. In any case, if you're having to shoot through walls to hit your enemy... you probably shouldn't be a soldier to begin with. This isn't CoD4.

YouTube - Basic Urban Skills Training - Ballistic Penetration Tests[/URL] As you can see the 7.62x39 did penetrate better.

Again, penetration isn't everything. Hell, after a certain point, it isn't anything.

Shooting at enemies through walls and other cover is ludicrously unreliable at best and a pointless waste of ammo at worst.

You shouldn't consider things only one bit of criteria. For instance, if all we cared about was firepower and camouflage when issuing kit to our troops, they would all have FM MAGs and ghille suits. If all we cared about was accuracy, assault rifles would be chambered in 6mm PPC. If we wanted volume of fire, we'd be using .22LR. If we wanted long range, everyone would carry around bolt-action rifles in .408 cheytac. See what I'm getting at?

To focus only on penetration is... insane. What about weight? What about accuracy? What about recoil or wounding capacity? You're continually ignoring all these things, and it doesn't make sense.

Not exactly tack driver material but certainly not "Isn't very accurate"
I shot that group yesterday with a Chinese AK at 100 yards.

You kind of proved exactly my point.

Assuming each ring is 2cm (wild guess alert), that works out to about 14 in (again, don't quote me on that; I've never been very good at working out groupings). 14 MOA is poor accuracy, especially for a rifle. I'm not a great shot, but in my hands and AR-15 can quite easily get 2-2.5 MOA.

Atleast it does it better then the 5.56.

You referring to West German 7.62 or M80s?

On the flipside the exiting M80 7.62 could exit the enemy then kill the enemy on the other side of the wall.

In 1 out of 1000 situations, yes. For the other 999, have fun trying to get through a firefight with a battle rifle's standard load of five magazines. Also enjoy the increased weight of the weapon and much longer shot recovery.

Again, M855 does have a lot of room for improvement (Mk.262 here again), but, yet again, fragmentation out to certain ranges is better than no fragmentation at all.

(Also, arfcom... urgh)

Well I suck at shooting too, last time I fired real bullets was the end of the basic training. After that.... 10 months and I didn't fire a single real bullet. But I observed and directed arty fire better than that I tell you! :p

PS. My previous post wasn't a serious post. Just playin' with you ;)

I find that group very hard to believe. Assuming a thumbnail is .5 inches, that's about 0.3 MOA. The absolute, very best sniper rifles in the world struggle to get under 0.25; the USMC's M40A3 gets between 0.25 and 0.5 in extremely favourable conditions. The Barret M107 gets a little under 1 MOA with match-grade ammunition.

A grouping like that is simply not possible.

Reactions: the 1st wasted
Upvote 0
I find that group very hard to believe. Assuming a thumbnail is .5 inches, that's about 0.3 MOA. The absolute, very best sniper rifles in the world struggle to get under 0.25; the USMC's M40A3 gets between 0.25 and 0.5 in extremely favourable conditions. The Barret M107 gets a little under 1 MOA with match-grade ammunition.

A grouping like that is simply not possible.

Yes it is numbskull :p , I've seen people fire 10 round groups like that.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Again, penetration isn't everything. Hell, after a certain point, it isn't anything.

Shooting at enemies through walls and other cover is ludicrously unreliable at best and a pointless waste of ammo at worst.

You shouldn't consider things only one bit of criteria. For instance, if all we cared about was firepower and camouflage when issuing kit to our troops, they would all have FM MAGs and ghille suits. If all we cared about was accuracy, assault rifles would be chambered in 6mm PPC. If we wanted volume of fire, we'd be using .22LR. If we wanted long range, everyone would carry around bolt-action rifles in .408 cheytac. See what I'm getting at?

To focus only on penetration is... insane. What about weight? What about accuracy? What about recoil or wounding capacity? You're continually ignoring all these things, and it doesn't make sense.
Penetration does matter, people take cover because they don't want to get shot. I'm not ignoring these things I believe you can get the perfect balance of all those things in the form of the 6.5 grendel.

You referring to West German 7.62 or M80s?
West German 7.62.

Again, M855 does have a lot of room for improvement (Mk.262 here again), but, yet again, fragmentation out to certain ranges is better than no fragmentation at all.

(Also, arfcom... urgh)
I read the reason why they haden't adopted the MK.262 was because it looses the armor piercing ability of the M885.

Upvote 0