• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] DayZ.

It looks epic. I've wanted to buy it for some time, but I need a whole new PC to play it. I think I've watched every video on youtube for the SA version and I'm drooling just thinking about getting in there. The concepts behind it are fantastic, but this review has me reconsidering -

Spoiler!

What do you guys know about the engine and it's limitations? I must admit, the way the zombies act, the queing of player animations, the melee, the poor performance in spite of BIG hardware.. it all has me rethinking if it can all actually be fixed or if it is always going to be a clunky mess because of Rocket's choice of engine. Should I just go with the mod version? I wish they'd make a game like this with an engine built specifically for this type of game.

Upvote 0
I don't have the game, but since it's the same engine that ARMA3 is built on, it has the same hardware limitations. CPU intensive, doesn't use multiple cores, a SSD helps, weird bottlenecking and odd performance issues like it'll run better with some settings on ultra than low. It usually takes a pile of dicking around to maximise the performance for your rig. 30-50 FPS on MP is pretty dang good for most people, I often play ARMA on big MP servers in the teens.

Will it be better optimized? Ummm, maybe to a degree, but I wouldn't expect much improvement without a huge investment on BI's part, probably a switch or development to a new engine. It's been the same since OFP and it is what it is.

Upvote 0
What LugNut said basically.

However, what is pretty unfair is that most people complaining about Arma only giving them 30 fps while they play Battlefield 109 with 120 fps is that Arma calculates so much more and has such a wide-open map.

Honestly, with 30 fps, Arma 1- Arma 3 are all playable. DayZ is the same.

I am running an i5-4670k, GTX 760 TwinFrzr with 8 gb RAM. In the bigger cities I get some fps hits to 26-30 fps when looking from big buildings over the whole area. Out of the cities I get 50-80 fps. It's anything but unplayable. Also, for me at least, some fps drops are less noticable than in most other games.

Running everything on pretty much the highest settings, except motion blur completely off and some minor settings at high.

Additionally, Nvidia gave some feedbacks on how to improve performance. So did Intel. AMD will soon talk with the developers for improvements. Don't expect any wonders but any improvement is fine, right?

Upvote 0
What LugNut said basically.

However, what is pretty unfair is that most people complaining about Arma only giving them 30 fps while they play Battlefield 109 with 120 fps is that Arma calculates so much more and has such a wide-open map.

Honestly, with 30 fps, Arma 1- Arma 3 are all playable. DayZ is the same.

I am running an i5-4670k, GTX 760 TwinFrzr with 8 gb RAM. In the bigger cities I get some fps hits to 26-30 fps when looking from big buildings over the whole area. Out of the cities I get 50-80 fps. It's anything but unplayable. Also, for me at least, some fps drops are less noticable than in most other games.

Running everything on pretty much the highest settings, except motion blur completely off and some minor settings at high.

Additionally, Nvidia gave some feedbacks on how to improve performance. So did Intel. AMD will soon talk with the developers for improvements. Don't expect any wonders but any improvement is fine, right?

Normally I'm one to sympathize with wanting more frame-rate, but it depends heavily on what game it is. A game like DayZ, ARMA 3, or RPGs don't need a fluid 60 FPS as much as they'd be appreciated. I'd say they're definitely playable at those frame-rates otherwise, but something far more fast-paced or multiplayer emphasized would be a bit different. But since ARMA 3 and DayZ have slower pacing all around, I'm hardly worried about frame-rates so long as it stays more or less stable.

Upvote 0
I got my 3rd "toon" fully kitted out in all the best gear. Now i feel there is nothing to do, unless i want to be a dick and hunt noobs. Which i don`t.

For me this game, at least, needs tents or storage boxes I can hide and go back to if i die. Otherwise there is no point, it`s just the same old stuff ad infinitum. Vehicles and the ability to build bases will be much welcomed too when they come.

Some clanmates of mine play it a lot though and seem to take great joy in the freedom and minutae of the game. They even opened a shop in Cherno to trade stuff they collect. Weapons dropped at the door, just like the wild west ;)

Upvote 0
What do you guys know about the engine and it's limitations? I must admit, the way the zombies act, the queing of player animations, the melee, the poor performance in spite of BIG hardware.. it all has me rethinking if it can all actually be fixed or if it is always going to be a clunky mess because of Rocket's choice of engine. Should I just go with the mod version? I wish they'd make a game like this with an engine built specifically for this type of game.

I call it catch-22 since if they wanted to develop more refined version of the engine you would have to wait couple of years at least. Completely new engine and it's pretty much the same + maybe few more extra years, and other than hardcore DayZ fans I doubt they would be eager to await that many years. RV has been practically in developement since mid 90s at very least (or maybe early 90s? Earliest public tech demo related to OFP is from 1997 IIRC) so while I might have some hope it may see multicore support etc eventually, what engine they should use instead aside from completely rebuilt thing which would take time? UE? Source? Q3 engine ala Call of Dutys? :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0