• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Hold back the flamethrowers for just a sec...

Hold back the flamethrowers for just a sec...

Even though I too rolled my eyes at the game's announcement trailer, I have to admit that I think the COD:BO2 devs are at least trying to innovate as much as is possible on a 2-year development cycle.

This became my opinion after watching these two videos:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-interview-call-of/729750

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-interview-call-of/729748

Watch those and I think you'll see that they're definitely making some big changes to the CoD formula compared to past games. Branching storylines, missions that let you take a somewhat sandbox approach (at least in terms of where you go and what you take with you), flying and land vehicles that aren't on rails anymore, and some creative license being taken with future weaponry. Also, I like how the guy spent some nice time talking about the PC version of BO2 at the end of the second video, explaining that they are making better efforts at cheat prevention and improving performance (also confirmed DX11).

Needless to say, this stuff isn't revolutionary or totally groundbreaking, but I think people need to give Treyarch some credit that they're taking the biggest steps towards trying new things in the franchise since COD4. I probably still won't buy it, as I know the gameplay will still be CoD at the core, but lets at least give credit where it's due.

Upvote 0
Ok, lets test this theory.

Black Ops II will be the best CoD game ever. Haters need to stop hating. It's gonna be awesome. Already pre-ordered 12 copies.

Indeed it will be good fellow. I say despite, the incogitable nature of such statement it will be a great contender for Game of the Year award and possibly even Game of the Millennium (after Crazy Bus), making every other game look fable and ephemeral in comparison.

I shall be on my way to pre-order 25 copies and give the 24 of them away as a charity for Treyarch's magnificent innovative accomplishment.

Upvote 0
but lets at least give credit where it's due.
HA_HA_HA_OH_WOW_xlarge.jpeg

You do know where we are and what most peoples mindset seems to be around here?

Upvote 0
Fixed that for you.
Well, to be fair to the community, the last X number of CoD games have been pretty bad in terms any attempts at innovation or change. So even though I think the devs should get some credit for trying to innovate a bit in BO2, there's no doubt that IW (and even Treyarch) deserve all the flak they've caught for past games.

Me and Grobut were have a discussion yesterday about how much of a shame it is that these developers are stuck making CoD after CoD. Just think what could happen if they were freed to work on a new IP ... I mean despite the lack of innovation I think these developers achieve some pretty amazing things in only a 1-2 year period of development.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, to be fair to the community, the last X number of CoD games have been pretty bad in terms any attempts at innovation or change. So even though I think the devs should get some credit for trying to innovate a bit in BO2, there's no doubt that IW (and even Treyarch) deserve all the flak they've caught for past games.

Me and Grobut were have a discussion yesterday about how much of a shame it is that these developers are stuck making CoD after CoD. Just think what could happen if they were freed to work on a new IP ... I mean despite the lack of innovation I think these developers achieve some pretty amazing things in only a 1-2 year period of development.
Tbh I think Treyarchs' cods are much better than IWs. MW1, MW2 & MW3 are pretty much all the same.

Call of Duty 3 was unique but a bit flawed, World at War had an incredibly gritty and brutal SP campaign(first CoD with proper gore), had tanks + bigger maps(in comparison), rifle grenades, attack dogs etc. Black Ops featured a less retarded (than MWs) SP campaign, very well balanced MP with added finance system, game modes like gungame or 1 in the chamber, wager matches, vehicle control in SP(chopper).

It's not really much but they are just much more creative/trying new stuff than IW. To be honest I think that if Treyarch was independent and had 3-4 years to work on their own project it could easily turn out to be (real, not bought off) 90%+ title.

Cynical or critical, it hardly matters seeing that you're free to leave if the mindset/atmosphere is not to your liking ;)
No

Upvote 0
I'd rather not go offtop, but I have to ask you what you hope to achieve with your incessant 'crusade' against what you refer to as a cynical mindset? I mean, you can't possibly expect an established gaming community with a shared taste to suddenly change to something that would be more to your liking? Seems to me that you're fighting windmills, and that the only alternatives would be either to deal with it or to leave. I wonder why even wrote this after your wordy response to my last remark, but I guess I'm just in an odd mood today :x

Upvote 0
I'd rather not go offtop, but I have to ask you what you hope to achieve with your incessant 'crusade' against what you refer to as a cynical mindset? I mean, you can't possibly expect an established gaming community with a shared taste to suddenly change to something that would be more to your liking? Seems to me that you're fighting windmills, and that the only alternatives would be either to deal with it or to leave. I wonder why even wrote this after your wordy response to my last remark, but I guess I'm just in an odd mood today :x
World domination

Upvote 0
Nah... let him keep acting out and trying to show everyone how much he doesn't fit in, how different he is and how he's an all around rebel. To be honest, it's quite amusing.

Upvote 0
Tbh I think Treyarchs' cods are much better than IWs. MW1, MW2 & MW3 are pretty much all the same.
Yeah, but CoD1 introduced iron sights to the main-stream, CoD2 lead to every modern shooter featuring health regeneration like Halo 2 and CoD4:MW1 is arguably THE most influential game of today's shooter market.

A couple of zany game-modes with zombies, purchasable weapons and controllable vehicles may be nice additions to the series (though hardly original...) but they're irrelevant for the genre. CoD4 IS the genre.

From Homefront over Medal of Honor to Far Cry 3, everyone is copying CoD4. And that's just outright clones. If we're also counting all the original franchises that let elements of IW's CoDs bleed into their newest entries we would have a list of pretty much every recent shooter.
Including Killing Floor and Red Orchestra 2.

Not that I think that's a good thing...

Upvote 0