• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Day Z, a zombie survival mod for ARMA2

The problem is the number of entities. 50 players alone would be no problem.
The 500+ zombies are the trouble makers; since the last patch they increased their numbers significantly, which leads to many server getting overloaded, when they dont adjust the number of player slots to lower numbers.

Very low server fps = all bets are off.

Upvote 0
The problem is the number of entities. 50 players alone would be no problem.
The 500+ zombies are the trouble makers; since the last patch they increased their numbers significantly, which leads to many server getting overloaded, when they dont adjust the number of player slots to lower numbers.

Very low server fps = all bets are off.

Servers are overloaded because people are spamming the join button on every single server they can see, not because of entity amounts on the server.

Upvote 0
So I can connect to servers now, though all I get are black screens with the text "waiting for server". I typically give up waiting after 5 or so minutes. What else I am supposed to do? How long does it take for it to load typically?

Keep trying and try to find a fresh server, probably in the "Creating" or "Briefing" phase. Full servers are impossible to join later because people keep joining/leaving them, leaving a ghost in the line. This messes up the connection with the dayz master server.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So I can connect to servers now, though all I get are black screens with the text "waiting for server". I typically give up waiting after 5 or so minutes. What else I am supposed to do? How long does it take for it to load typically?

A lot depends on the server status, to keep things running as "should be" most admins are re-booting every 4/5 hours. This is not a problem, just reconnect and pick up where you left.

You may find yourself on a server with no loot and sometimes no Z's, in this case the server needs to be restarted.
If you see a half empty server in the browser chances are that something is up/not working.
If you find yourself (after waiting 20 mins:() looking at the woods and unable to move, you are in the Forest of DeBug, so reconnect.

When a server is in good condition connecting can be quite rapid 2/3 mins is not unknown.
I've played on a few US servers giving me a ping of 120+/- and have connected without to many problems

This week-end was possibly the worst moment to start playing, everybody is waiting for vs 1.5.8, the master server is under strain , there are, I don't know how many new servers asking for "player data" from the master.

Three weeks ago there were only a dozen or so servers 3000 odd players.

Today there are 73.000 id's / 63.000 active :eek: * False, that was yesterday.
Here is the actual count.

staticon-char.gif
Characters: 805318
staticon-alive.gif
Alive Characters: 68802

Upvote 0
PR:A2 is really fun even if you don't know anybody. Don't be afraid to go on direct comms and ask for a squad in the beginning of a game. There are many friendly, experienced players that are willing to help just ask and be willing to get shouted at and ordered around in the beginning.

One of the best moments I experienced was when our squad was securing the villa on Zargabad and we suddenly heard a vehicle coming up. I was in the building with three other guys, covering the entrances. The vehicle stopped, silence. A moment later someone shouted allahu akbar over direct comms and the whole building blew up, killing everyone inside. We were all like "wtf did just happen".
I don't mind the punishment to get into a game, as long as its not the hardcore salute every time a superior goes by or along that line.

Upvote 0
A lot depends on the server status, to keep things running as "should be" most admins are re-booting every 4/5 hours. This is not a problem, just reconnect and pick up where you left.

You may find yourself on a server with no loot and sometimes no Z's, in this case the server needs to be restarted.
If you see a half empty server in the browser chances are that something is up/not working.
If you find yourself (after waiting 20 mins:() looking at the woods and unable to move, you are in the Forest of DeBug, so reconnect.

When a server is in good condition connecting can be quite rapid 2/3 mins is not unknown.
I've played on a few US servers giving me a ping of 120+/- and have connected without to many problems

This week-end was possibly the worst moment to start playing, everybody is waiting for vs 1.5.8, the master server is under strain , there are, I don't know how many new servers asking for "player data" from the master.

Three weeks ago there were only a dozen or so servers 3000 odd players.

Today there are 73.000 id's / 63.000 active :eek: * False, that was yesterday.
Here is the actual count.

staticon-char.gif
Characters: 805318
staticon-alive.gif
Alive Characters: 68802
Can't wait for them to get the server problems out of the way so they can start working on content again with more vigor then they can now.

Upvote 0
New update is on:

Developer's Note: * TO INTERACT WITH MOST ITEMS: YOU NOW NEED TO OPEN GEAR MENU (G) THEN RIGHT CLICK ON THE ITEM! SUCH AS BANDAGING AND EATING AND ****
* This is a pretty major update. I don't really know what affect the new sickness and temperature system will have on player behavior especially with antibiotics being so scarce.
* It is the genesis of an idea, so please remember this might cause havoc. You need to be careful.
* To light a fire, you need matches and wood in your inventory. Place more wood in the inventory of a fireplace to keep the fire going.
* A fire that does not have wood in it will go out when you try to light it.
* You can tell you have an infection, because your character will start coughing. The infection causes you to loose blood down to a minimum of 6000. This leaves you with reduced blood until you take antibiotics.

Changelog:

* [NEW] Server cleanup system replaced with a more agressive one
* [NEW] Inventory Interaction system (right-click on items in gear screen to bring up interactions)
* [NEW] Temperature System now implemented (effects are limited)
* [NEW] Chance of catching an infection the lower your temperature
* [NEW] Chance of catching an infection from already infected players
* [NEW] Water can be filled in ponds, all water pumps, wells, but not the sea
* [NEW] Forced disconnection saving for abort and alt+F4
* [NEW] Zombie's will investigate player deaths
* [NEW] Adrenaline rush from panicing causes greately increased hunger for a while
* [NEW] Bandaging Sound when bandaging yourself/someone
* [NEW] Coughing sound when you have an infection
* [NEW] Camera Shake when temperature drops extremely low
* [NEW] PROTIP: Use Global Chat/VOIP in populated areas
* [NEW] Fire requires wood to keep burning
* [NEW] Various Loot spawn balancing changes
+ fixes

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My turn to be a noobington. How do you update to the new patch? Must you reinstall everything or just select files?

From what I understand:

1) Download new files.
2) Delete old files.
3) Place new files in place of the old ones. Maybe overwriting them is good enough though.

Though if you are using an updater I am not sure how it works.

Upvote 0
i made simple installers (since 1.5.5), they w/o any warranty

quick job in NSIS (nullsoft installer) and nowhere perfect state

offline (1.5.8.2)
(complete file download, just installs and drop 2 shortcut on your desktop, one for OA 1.60 engine and one for OA 1.61 beta engine)
[url]http://cdn.armafiles.info/installer/dwarden-simpler-installers/DayZ-1582-full-with-shortcuts.exe[/URL]
CRC32: 0F96DE9D
MD5: F5E9A583DB853E7B10321F0636367D49
SHA-1: 35C8FC0197987D5821778E834B5D98A83BDB44D2

online (atm. 1.5.8.2)
(small file, all files downloaded from dayz site, just installs and drop 2 shortcut on your desktop, one for OA 1.60 engine and one for OA 1.61 beta engine)

[url]http://cdn.armafiles.info/installer/dwarden-simpler-installers/DayZ-online-with-shortcuts.exe[/URL]

CRC32: 382BB6C3
MD5: B9E0BB35F87AE91C297ADEE195357CC0
SHA-1: DD761DE6CAF190301CA9C38F1CB93585BCBFD3C6

these are nowhere near official or perfect, just raw...

if anyone want share NSIS masterskills or wisdom with me
feel free to do so e.g. at
irc.gamesurge.net channel #DayZ
irc://irc.gamesurge.net/DayZ

WARNING:
1. You should RUN STEAM via "run as administator"
2. and start ARMA 2 once , then exit
3. then start ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead via the desktop shortcuts from installers

Note: installers support any distribution not just STEAM

Upvote 0
Ok patch feels good 1.5.82 (hotfix) for those of you that sleep.

I like the new gear system, it allows to pick up a can o beanZ and consume directly, ups your blood, very useful when you 're bleeding to death fast/low on blood.

I'm a little confused by the wood system (it has been said that an axe will be introduced).
I spend 90% of my time in the woods, if I don't have any wood in my back-pack....No fire, seems a little dodgy.

I have yet to find a map, everything else is there, compass, knife and all...
Zombie spawns seem to be fixed (I'm still alive).

Good patch.

Upvote 0
I'm a little confused by the wood system (it has been said that an axe will be introduced).
I spend 90% of my time in the woods, if I don't have any wood in my back-pack....No fire, seems a little dodgy.

All the wood I found so far was placed in barns on isolated farms, but so far I've found much more wood than I need and since I got my hunting knife, I can feed myself from killing animals instead of collecting canned food, a positive side effect is the fact that meat regains much more blood than canned food, so I'm fairly happy with the new system :)

I really hope that Bohemia Interactive grabs some money and transforms this mod into a full-blown game based on the ArmA3 engine, this open world zombie RPG is the game I always wished for ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bandit skins are being kept until Thursday, I believe.

The problem is not finding wood piles, it just seems a little unnecessary but I guess the idea is (in the future) to chop wood with the axe (when available) to make fires, now that seems to me a more reasonable game-play.
This is of coarse all related to the body temperature system.

Still the best game/mod released this year, even if it is an Alpha build.

Upvote 0
I don't like the new temperature feature, it's just taking it too far. Eating/drinking is fine, it didn't really bother as it encouraged exploration and eating also has a healing element so rewards outweight the burden.

Temperature/getting infection however is just unavoidable. It encourages staying indoors, makes journey through woods dangerous. Woods take precious slots in your inventory, you have to waste time at your campfire to warm up, and there is no other extra to it. It's a burden for players without any benefit. Players don't even start with matches, even if they find one, they have to find wood.

Though, these are my initial impressions. This whole infection thing may affect the gameplay in new ways. Bandits will have a hardtime camping, coughing may prove excellent finding other players, heck it may even reduce the amount of people reaching NW airfield area(I sort of claimed an area on the airfield).

Still, I appreciate Rocket trying different things. I'm sure he'll get this working without angering the hardcore survivalists and casuals.

Upvote 0
So now you can get hypothermia and aids in 10 minutes like the people have never been outside in their life and they suddenly self-destruct. What next? "Toilet" visits? Diarrhea? Hygiene? Pneumonia? Insects, arachnids etc that can bite you? Clothes, socks\footrags that you need to change and keep dry? Not to mention hygiene and bodily fluids would add additional smells to the world that can attract other players and\or zombies. Extra immersion for taking a dump outside and digging a suitable hole and burying it before curious noses. At least drying footrags vs drying socks would be balanced with the former's epic smell over time. Super realism!

I have to admit there is something lulzily appealing about people suffering from diarrhea and trying to scavenge toilet paper while suddenly zombies come by and say nomnom. :p

Upvote 0
My turn to be a noobington. How do you update to the new patch? Must you reinstall everything or just select files?

First check changelog. There is a list files changed since last update.
Download those files and overwrite old ones.
Done.

I kinda like new aspect of temperature. It makes game ever more survivalist and less pew pew to zombies like hundreds of other games. I believe it needs balance and tweaks, and don't forget it's alpha only!

I hope that they improve cooperation and teamplay aspects. Add skills that can be used on other players. Fox example blood transfusion or other advanced healing procedures.

Upvote 0